Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
https://www.rockymountainhunting.com

Trespass fee hunting in Colorado. I don’t know anything about the price structure. But I’d bet $2000 would go pretty far.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think some of you all are placing the bar a bit higher than it needs to be. I've done several DIY hunts in various states for around $2000 or less, all in. I've killed 3 caribou in Alaska for not a whole lot more. I will be chasing barbary sheep in New Mexico next week, and all together I'll bet I have $1000-$1200 into it including flights, car rental and licenses. It is a draw hunt though and I'm splitting the vehicle rental with two others so take that into account.

Elk hunts in some states are doable for less than $2000. The tags would be the most expensive part especially if you take the wife's prius that gets 50 MPG. You rarely need a pickup for elk or mule deer, IMO.

I'll bet I could hunt sitka blacktail in SE Alaska for $2000.
$1000 flight, $150 for a license, $300 for a tag and $350 to rent a small SUV for 4-5 days. Buy a cheap cooler at Walmart there for the meat, and you're golden. Sleep next to the vehicle or in it if it's raining. Another $100 for a motel the night before you leave for a shower and $100 for various incidentals. If a guy doesn't need luxury, DIY hunts are not too expensive.
The flights from all the way in Tennessee may put a guy over that $2000 threshold though. Not sure.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
Mallards and giant Canada geese for 3 days all inclusive in eastern Kansas.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
If you like wing shooting, a semi guided hunt or DIY hunt in SD is a must do. It’s loaded with pheasants .Pm me for lodge/guide info. We stayed in a farm house (the lodge) and hunted private land plus also stayed in a motel and did a DIY on government leased land. We were successful in both scenarios ,but saw more birds on the private land with standing crops/cover. Wear really good shoes and be prepared to walk a lot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
TAG

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
$2000 will get you a bunch if you do a little research. But, you're not going to get your mulie hunt lined up like you're looking for. If you're willing to go public land, sleep in cheap hotels, eat sammichs and instant oatmeal, there are plenty of cool options.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
Nothing. I was just at the Great American Outdoors show today and can verify the $2K will get you nothing worthwhile.

That's because you talked to clowns at a outdoors show.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by 100grNP
To spend on a hunt this fall what would you pursue? I received a lil bonus at work and would really like to treat myself to a small get away.

$2K can go a long ways on a DIY Public Land Hunt.

As others have already said $2K on a guided hunt is more like a deposit.

Montana would be a great place to DIY Mule Deer. OnX maps is your friend! You can get more than just a week or whatever of hunting out of it by researching and preparing for the actual hunt from now until the time comes to make the trip. It will be much more rewarding to you as well. Provided you are not holding out for a Trophy Mule Deer Eastern MT would be a pretty easy place to fill your tag.

Good luck to you in whatever path you decide to take.

Yep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would seriously look at a DIY WY antelope hunt. Lots of public land & lots of antelope & the weather is usually good. The bucks are not going to be B&C class but so what. It's a fun hunt. Plus you may also be able to get some does tags. So the fun does end with 1 trigger pull. The wife & I both like antelope over mule deer. I would call WY fish & game---they should be able to walk you thru the application process.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
If you have never hunted out west I would recommend a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Should be easy to do it for $2000 and you will have more or less a guaranteed hunt if your not overly picky on trophy quality. It’s such a fun and unique hunt compared to eastern hunting. Plus you should see plenty of animals which will keep you excited the whole time. That is not always true for other species out west. And personally I think pronghorn is delicious

This ^^^^^^

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How about a mule deer and cow elk hunt in montana. Plenty of decent bucks on bma properties and state or blm if you wait for the rut to get them visible. Lots of cow elk can also be found at that time. Two K should go a long way on that type of hunt, in fact I see lots of guys do just that thing each year. Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TP.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
invest in IWS and spy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy stock with it now, you can probably double your money in short order.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.