I think some of you all are placing the bar a bit higher than it needs to be. I've done several DIY hunts in various states for around $2000 or less, all in. I've killed 3 caribou in Alaska for not a whole lot more. I will be chasing barbary sheep in New Mexico next week, and all together I'll bet I have $1000-$1200 into it including flights, car rental and licenses. It is a draw hunt though and I'm splitting the vehicle rental with two others so take that into account.

Elk hunts in some states are doable for less than $2000. The tags would be the most expensive part especially if you take the wife's prius that gets 50 MPG. You rarely need a pickup for elk or mule deer, IMO.

I'll bet I could hunt sitka blacktail in SE Alaska for $2000.
$1000 flight, $150 for a license, $300 for a tag and $350 to rent a small SUV for 4-5 days. Buy a cheap cooler at Walmart there for the meat, and you're golden. Sleep next to the vehicle or in it if it's raining. Another $100 for a motel the night before you leave for a shower and $100 for various incidentals. If a guy doesn't need luxury, DIY hunts are not too expensive.
The flights from all the way in Tennessee may put a guy over that $2000 threshold though. Not sure.