Home
Posted By: doclee Best African Hunting Book - 01/13/10
Just finished reading Along the Hunter's Path by Kai-Uwe Denker, great read. This book expresses the ethics and passion of a true sportsman and could even to nonhunters evoke understanding of why we cherish the hunt.
Some of Sir Samuel Baker's writings are online at the University of Pennsylvania...well worth a read.

They don't make men like Sir Samuel any more.
Do you have a link for that? I'd love to check it out.
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Do you have a link for that? I'd love to check it out.

You bet.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Baker%2c%20Samuel%20White%2c%20Sir%2c%201821-1893

Read The Rifle and the Hound in Ceylon first. The language may be a bit rough for the Politically Correct, just have to deal with it.

Thanks!
Personally I love Boddington's white book (Safari Rifles) and Mellons book as well.

Dober
"Pondoro" by John Taylor isn't a bad read.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/14/10
White Hunters by Brian Herne is a real interesting read....
For vintage Africana " Bell of Africa" by W.D.M. Bell is a fave....

Ingwe
Posted By: hatari Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/14/10
"Months of the Sun" Ian Nyshens

All of J. A. Hunters works

All of WDM Bell's works
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/14/10
I read "Horn of the Hunter" by Robert Ruark pretty often. It has to be on the short list of African hunting books.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/14/10
Peter Capstick's Death in the Long Grass is the book that sparked my interest in African hunting. Have read many other good ones by Ruark, Hunter, Boddington, etc..

Mike
I have an extensive collection of older African hunting books. My favorites are some of the newer ones; Horn of the Hunter, most things by Peter Capstick and some of Boddington's stuff.
Posted By: hatari Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/14/10
Add "African Rifles and Cartridges" by John "Pondoro" Taylor
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/14/10
I'll second my friend Hatari's posts but to me Capstick's Death In The Long Grass is the signature book for me. jorge
All the books listed here are very good, though I must note that Boddington has an updated version of SAFARI RIFLES out.

My vote for the best recent book on African hunting is John Kingsley-Heath's HUNTING THE DANGEROUS GAME OF AFRICA. JKH was a professional hunter in Africa from the heyday of Kenya in the 1950's, and was also one of the primary hunters to open up Botswana. (He is still alive, by the way.) He not only PH'd professionally for several decades, in places that are now legendary, but he hunted in several other countries on his own where big game hunting is just about gone now, including Ethiopia. In addition he guided peole like Jack O'Connor, John Wootters and Bob Chatfield-Taylor, the inventor of the .416 Taylor.

The book is large format and several hundred pages long, with tons of photos. It's expensive (even when new it was around $100) and is somewhat hard to find, but it is well worth the money and search.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
All the books listed here are very good, though I must note that Boddington has an updated version of SAFARI RIFLES out.

My vote for the best recent book on African hunting is John Kingsley-Heath's HUNTING THE DANGEROUS GAME OF AFRICA. JKH was a professional hunter in Africa from the heyday of Kenya in the 1950's, and was also one of the primary hunters to open up Botswana. (He is still alive, by the way.) He not only PH'd professionally for several decades, in places that are now legendary, but he hunted in several other countries on his own where big game hunting is just about gone now, including Ethiopia. In addition he guided peole like Jack O'Connor, John Wootters and Bob Chatfield-Taylor, the inventor of the .416 Taylor.

The book is large format and several hundred pages long, with tons of photos. It's expensive (even when new it was around $100) and is somewhat hard to find, but it is well worth the money and search.

+1

I found this book the last time this topic came up. Absolutely stunning book on Africa hunting and adventure.

ddj
Posted By: duckear Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/15/10

The trifecta of African classics that belong in every hunting library:

Horn of the Hunter by Ruark

Maneaters of the Tsavo by Patterson

African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt

Mule Deer - I second your choice of John Kingsley-Heath's book. I held off buying it for years because of the cost. Now that I have it, I'd say its worth every penny I paid for it.
Pretty good, isn't it? I also own and have read every other book mentioned so far on the thread, plus probably 100 others on African hunting, including other "big" books like Bartle Bull's SAFARI and Peter Beard's THE END OF THE GAME. I also hesitate to say anything is "best," but JKH's is right up there among the finest. Part of it is the long era it covers, which JKH knows so well, and he is also a damn fine writer.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/15/10
JB/Anyone: Does anyone know where to chase down a copy of JKH's book?
I would do a web search. I bought mine new in a bookstore several years ago, but have never seen another copy since.
Anyone read Robin Hurt's Hunting the Big Five?
Man Eaters of the Tsavo
Death in the Long Grass
Horn of the Hunter
African Rifles and Cartridges
Wandering of an Elephant Hunter
The Perfect Shot (more educational)
Safari Rifles II
Green Hills of Africa
African Hunter II (more educational)

All of these are in my library and I think are well worth the read
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Bob in NH - There are three available at:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...NGEROUS+GAME+OF+AFRICA&x=49&y=11
pretty much everything on phoenixdawg's list i'll second.
Posted By: doclee Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/22/10
Lou Hallamore's In the Salt
Posted By: TSIBINDI Re: Best African Hunting Book - 01/23/10
MEMORIES OF AN AFRICAN HUNTER...Denis Lyell
MEMORIES OF AN AFRICAN HUNTER...Terry Irwin (same title)
THE ADVENTURES OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER...James Sutherland
THE BOOK OF THE LION...Sir Alfred E. Pease
BIG GAME HUNTING IN NORTHERN RHODESIA...Owen Letcher
HORNED DEATH...John Burger
A GAME RANGER'S NOTE BOOK...A. Blaney Percival
THE WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER...W.D.M.Bell
HUNTING THE AFRICAN LION
HUNTING THE AFRICAN LEOPARD
HUNTING THE AFRICAN BUFFALO
HUNTING THE AFRICAN ELEPHANT...African Hunting Heritage Books by Amwell Press. Jim Rikhoff

Posted By: Finley Re: Best African Hunting Book - 02/02/10
Out in the Midday Shade by William York. Really enjoy it, I have read it 3 times.

Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Bob in NH - There are three available at:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...NGEROUS+GAME+OF+AFRICA&x=49&y=11

Ouch!!!
Posted By: LJB Re: Best African Hunting Book - 02/03/10
Not a hunting book, but a great read:

"The Man Who Presumed, A Biography of Henry M. Stanley", Bryon Farwell

Two more on my "to read" list that were recommended to me are:

"Stanley", Tim Jeal
"Traversa", Fran Sandham
I wouldn't call it the best, but if you want a deep drink of hunting history, read Brian Herne's "White Hunters."
If you want a visual experience get a copy of:

African Hunter by James Mellon.

Dino

Capstick trumps them all!
Just don't confuse it with fact.
Posted By: ruger375 Re: Best African Hunting Book - 03/26/10
Originally Posted by hatari
Add "African Rifles and Cartridges" by John "Pondoro" Taylor

+1
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Best African Hunting Book - 04/01/10
Not Africa, but James Corbett's books about India are a must for anyone interested in DG hunting.
Posted By: maddog Re: Best African Hunting Book - 04/01/10
Ok, it may have been partly fiction, and I really don't care. I bought Peter Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass", over 25 yrs ago, and it inspired me to want to hunt Africa. Which I did in July, 2008. May never get to go again, but he got me there, once. For that, I thank the man.

maddog
Posted By: Arac Re: Best African Hunting Book - 05/11/17
Originally Posted by doclee
Just finished reading Along the Hunter's Path by Kai-Uwe Denker, great read. This book expresses the ethics and passion of a true sportsman and could even to nonhunters evoke understanding of why we cherish the hunt.

Sorry for the necro-post, but I didn't see a point in starting a new one. I have to say that I am very pleased with Kai-Uwe Denker's book and I highly recommend it. He has a specific style that I really enjoy and his passion for hunting is very obvious.
Posted By: Zengela Re: Best African Hunting Book - 05/11/17
I know Tony Sanchez Arino. A good man. He got me to hunt elephant. His books are good. And I also like Capstick's Death in the Long Grass. Yeah, a corny drunk, but it got me to go to Africa. Horn of the Hunter is I feel one of my all time favorite books ever.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Best African Hunting Book - 05/11/17
Originally Posted by ingwe
White Hunters by Brian Herne is a real interesting read....

Ingwe

This is one of the best, if you want to know about the lives of the hunters themselves.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Best African Hunting Book - 05/11/17
Horn of the Hunter and Death in the Long Grass
Posted By: duckear Re: Best African Hunting Book - 05/11/17
Horn of the Hunter, hands down.
Augusts in Africa by Thomas McIntyre is a recent addition to the genre which I found to be very good. Best? Can't say, there are a lot that I haven't read. But it is quite good.
© 24hourcampfire