Home
Posted By: Gary O Favorite airline case? - 09/29/12
Pick your favorite double scoped rifle airline case. Would like on with wheels, padlock ready, and 6 latches and foam...
Posted By: ODay450 Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/29/12
Have made 8 international trips and about that same number in country flights with the Cabela's bullet proof, heavy gauge, wheeled case. No problems at all. Rifles scratch & dent free & within weight even with extra scopes & bits and pieces. It even has a fold down shelf where I can strap a duffel and wheel both in a single package through the airport.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/29/12
I really like my Pelican 1750. I've traveled with it and two scoped bolt action rifles alot, no damage of any kind, no changes in zero. Has four big latches, four padlock holes (with steel around them); I bought a set of four stout Master padlocks at Home Depot that fit perfectly and snug but not tight. Cut foam to fit with electric knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1750-Case-Rifle-Black/dp/B000AOMA1S
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/29/12
I've been using the same one as Oday for 20 years no problems worked flawless would not change
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/29/12
I use ICC aluminum cases, both single and double. Highly recommend them.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
6 Latches?
Mine has 4(Pelican) and don't think you can find a better case. Been asked few times before....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ch/true/Re_Pelican_Gun_Cases#Post6849883

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Best_Gun_Case_for_Airline_T#Post5792711
Posted By: Gary O Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
and the name is?
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
Boyt Harness
Posted By: dawaba Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
Originally Posted by ODay450
Have made 8 international trips and about that same number in country flights with the Cabela's bullet proof, heavy gauge, wheeled case. No problems at all. Rifles scratch & dent free & within weight even with extra scopes & bits and pieces. It even has a fold down shelf where I can strap a duffel and wheel both in a single package through the airport.

I have this same case and like it very much. The fold-out shelf is quite handy.
Americase 2 gun safari case. Tough, secure and very protective of your rifles.

If you travel enough, you would be amazed at what the airlines can do to a case....
Posted By: RinB Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
SKB. 15 trips just right. Aluminum cases tend to grab the converyor systems. Had two disasters never again. Pelican tough but very heavy and not much room for other stuff. TuffPac the worst for unpacking at customs...you couldn't give me one.
Posted By: JimD Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
ICC
Pelican!
Posted By: rogn Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
Got a Boyt Harness a couple of years ago, for a trip to SA. Plentyof room , plenty durable, room for extra gear. Only dislike is the lock pads(2) are deep and require a padlock with a long locking loop. Looked like airline tried to drag it down the runway but no damage done. Like the Pelican this is not a lightweight.
Posted By: McCray Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
Pelican...mine just returned from Africa last week. That was its sixth trip and still going fine.
Kalispell
Posted By: CWD Re: Favorite airline case? - 09/30/12
A month ago I would have said SKB, but not now. I did a trip to Canada last month and my SKB double bow case came apart at the corner. I sent an email to customer service 2 weeks ago and have not heard back from them. My "old" style double bow has been great for the past 8 years and has a bunch of trips on it, but my "new" style case is coming apart after only 3 trips. I'm going with another brand.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/01/12
I use a Browning Bruiser and have never had any problems with either domestic or international trips.
Pelican
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/01/12
im glad i read this, was actually about to make this same posting.
Posted By: richardca99 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/05/12
Pelican. I use them for my rifles and in the military. Tough stuff.
Posted By: MSmitty7 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/06/12
Pelican & and an old metal Cabelas double gun case from the 80s. It is heavy, hard to manage, old foam, but tough.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/06/12
The company that was making the cabelas cases for a while (still?) ICC case company in Spokane was where I got mine. I would think the one I bought was the same as the ones cabelas sold as they came from the same place, same dimensions, and locks, hinges etc.

That one of mine has been around the world a bunch of times, strapped to float plane struts, carried on horses, land cruisers, range rovers, ATV's, rafts, and countless commercial aircraft. It's dented, dinged, scratched, and very well seasoned like an old cast iron pan. It's never broken, or failed to do it's job.

I would buy another one exactly the same tomorrow if I had to replace this one. I think the only way I do that is if it's stolen. It just does not seem to wear out!
Posted By: Dom Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/06/12
Pelican 1720, 4 latches for padlocks, with wheels. Works great, the 42" length makes it practical to fit in most vehicle trunks, especially nowadays seems like trunks are shrinking in size.
Posted By: RAC Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/06/12
I have an older ICC and a newer Cabelas Bullet Proof with wheels. both have given me good service but the wheeled case is better for travel when carrying multiple bags.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/11/12
I have a Pelican 1750. Just made its first trip to WY and I scored on an antelope at 338 yds. Don't cut the center foam and the items in the case will not budge.

JD338
I used my Pelican 1750 also this fall and was very impressed but it is heavy.

ddj
Posted By: Auger01 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/11/12
Storm i3300 case. It is made by pelican now. They bought out the original manufacturer Hardigg. It has six latches and is similar to the 1750 pelican, but better.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM3300
Posted By: dale06 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/11/12
I have used a NALPAK on several north american trips and one to zimbabwe, with great success.
Posted By: Model70Guy Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/14/12
If you would have asked me 6 months ago I would have said Pelican without hesitation. I've had nothing but good luck with mine, and we use Pelicans at work to transport equipment that makes the price of a bespoke double look like chump change.

Haveing said that, I needed a slightly longer case than a 1750 and stumbled onto Explorer. Its Italian, high quality and enough lighter to guarantee that you'll make airline weight. The extra 2"of length takes my 30" plus brake long range rifles.
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/18/12
Originally Posted by CWD
A month ago I would have said SKB, but not now. I did a trip to Canada last month and my SKB double bow case came apart at the corner. I sent an email to customer service 2 weeks ago and have not heard back from them. My "old" style double bow has been great for the past 8 years and has a bunch of trips on it, but my "new" style case is coming apart after only 3 trips. I'm going with another brand.

I agree with CWD, I really like my "OLD" SKB case, in my case the 2SKB-5009 double rifle case. Haven't been to Africa but have been to Alaska a few times with it and it has worked great. But I looked at the new model and they have changed the locks and they look cheaper. Can't see from the web site if they have the same good piano hinges either.
Posted By: STA Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/18/12
I have and use SKB cases for my rifles. Only been on two flights with the SKB case and must say it did great no trouble at all.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/18/12
Pelican without doubt!!
Posted By: anie Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/18/12
go pelican
Posted By: EricM Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/19/12
Hard to go wrong with the Pelican 1750.
Posted By: JBoutfishn Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/19/12
Been bouncing around with my Pelican for 10 years. I was given a piece of high density foam and cut it with electric knife to use for different situations. The original foam was cut for my double 470 and M70 416 Rem Mag. The other foam was cut for my M70 300 Win Mag and 416 Rem Mag, both with scopes. With both scenarios there is room for a 2 piece bass rod and reel. grin

While the case may be a bit heavy, it returned from Africa with tire tracks on a corner, no damage and everything always has retained "0". In addition the case is water proof.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/20/12
Originally Posted by JBoutfishn
Been bouncing around with my Pelican for 10 years. I was given a piece of high density foam and cut it with electric knife to use for different situations. The original foam was cut for my double 470 and M70 416 Rem Mag. The other foam was cut for my M70 300 Win Mag and 416 Rem Mag, both with scopes. With both scenarios there is room for a 2 piece bass rod and reel. grin

While the case may be a bit heavy, it returned from Africa with tire tracks on a corner, no damage and everything always has retained "0". In addition the case is water proof.

That's the problem I have with the Pelican, the weight. Depending on rifle weight, you may not make the 50lb restriction if you carry two rifles.

I purchased a Tuffpak at an auction. I got it for about half price. Not sure if I will use it, but I couldn't turn it down.
I have used a starlight case. It has proved very rugged. It is a bit on the heavy side. Good latch system as well.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/21/12
I use a Cabela's aluminum case with a green canvas cover. The cover has wheels and a pulling handle. Some of the African baggage handlers don't realize it's a gun case. When I bought it, they offered two thicknesses of aluminum and I got the heaviest one. With a .458 and a .300 Wby, the whole thing comes well under 50 pounds.
Posted By: jdemocko Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/27/12
Tufpak Octagon in shape, fits clothes, guns etc. No one knows its a gun case. Mine has been around the world without incident.
Pelican 1750
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/30/12
Originally Posted by hotweatherhunter
Kalispell

+1
Posted By: Steve Re: Favorite airline case? - 10/31/12
Pelican. Mines been around the world a few times and strapped to the front of my raft once. Never had an issue.
Posted By: Rodell Re: Favorite airline case? - 11/03/12
A friend talked me into the Tuff-Pak. I had my rifles inside the case in carry sleeves. At customs I just popped the top and slid out each for verification. I had clothes in there as well so everything traveled well.

I do have the long bag for the Tuff-Pak. It does make packing (and unpacking) easier. People often think it is a display or presentation case, and not a firearm.

I use it as a safe in my room, too, cabled to the heater and locked. Camera and other things are pretty well secured.

I have taken an aluminum double rifle case by Weatherby around the world now traveling out of country once a year for the last ten years and I have never had a damaged rifle or bumped scope, that said the case is got retired last year and I bought a tuffpack to replace it. I strongly considered a pelican or boyt hard case because of their waterproof ability and that was a problem I had with my old aluminum case, things would be damp when I got them back from the airlines and I was afraid if the water froze it could split a stock. I ended up with a tuffpack for a few reasons, traveling with guns is not a hassle free experience and the less attention the better and I have golf stickers on my tuffpack, I like to have nice functional soft case that fits my rifle in camp and that is asking a lot in some camps to have them provide one so I bring my own that have a moisture wicking liner and that works perfect for the tuffpack in most other hard packs you have to pack them separately, being able to use clothing to pad and insulate the guns helps baggage costs, it is easier to bring along multiple guns or add a shotgun in the tuffpack because there is no prefit or cut to fit padding. I think the pelican and boyt hard cases offer better protection and ease of inspection but everything is a trade off and so far I am very happy with the tuffpack, the biggest drawback I have found is accessing the guns at the ticket window, this is not a problem if you pack it with the tuffpack long bag and situate the soft cases and position the zippers so they can be opened from the end but tryit at home before you get to the airport.
© 24hourcampfire