Home
whats my best bet?

warthog
impala
kudu

down to last box of 140 grain Combined Technology Fail safes for deer season have to do some knob twisting

thanks for the input
My brother uses a 280. A controlled expansion 140, 150, or 160 will do what you need.

I have shot pretty much all of it with 7x57's and 160 partitions, right at 2800 fps. Last time I looked on the wall, they're all still dead! 140 TTSX would work mighty fine as well.
160 Partitions out of a 7x57 at 2800 fps? Man that is smoking.

I have always been a fan of the 175gr Partition (both old style semi-spitzer and new pointier version) and have taken lots of game with it, both big (over 1000lb moose) and small (100lb Sitka Blacktails). It is reliable and works very well. I have used it almost exclusively out of a 7mm RM, but many of my loads are actually quite mild at around 2800 fps over a 35P.

I am confident in recommending that bullet - I believe you will be happy with its performance.
Accubonds.
I hunt with the 280 myself. Took 15 animals in Namibia with it a few years back. NO need for the 160s. I used 140s and everything hit right, was a DRT kill. This was from Steenbok to Oryx. Took several deer when I got home.. the 140s will give you more speed, and kill as well as the heavier bullets. At least they did for me.
I have used 140 Swift A Frames, 140 TTSX, and 145 LRX. I would never use anything heavier.
I used 140 Accubonds on two antelope and they performed well
which ever one shoots best in YOUR rifle.
For the three animals mentioned, there is no difference.

RS
Originally Posted by Slenk
+1
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
+1

Did you actually think it worth the effort to ask this question?
Your 280 will kill 97.67543% of all game animals on the this planet and several more. If anything goes south it's not your rifle or the bullets. Check the scope, then a mirror. Hummm jm2c
Our 2010 experience in Zambia was like yours in Namibia. Both my son and I shot his .280 Ackley Imp. with 140 gr Accubonds. We took: kudu, sable, sitatunga, zebra, puku, waterbuck, impala, oribi, warthog, and bushbuck all with the 140s. It worked very well. The shots were from 50 yards to almost 300 yards. Hit the right spot and the 140 Accubond will kill any plains game save, maybe, eland.
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
+1

Did you actually think it worth the effort to ask this question?
Your 280 will kill 97.67543% of all game animals on the this planet and several more. If anything goes south it's not your rifle or the bullets. Check the scope, then a mirror. Hummm jm2c

Did Santa leave you coal for Christmas? Lighten up, really!
I'd go with the 160 accubond.

Or even a 140 class Barnes X (I'm a big fan).

I used a 180 TSX in 300 WSM, was more than I needed.

Be sure you can shoot a nice 2" group at 150 ish and you'll be fine. Have fun!
140 partitions out of a .280...
© 24hourcampfire