Home
Posted By: Mike70560 88 YO store owner had enough - 06/22/20

She is not taking it anymore

Nashville liquor store owner May Boyce, an 88-year-old widow who stands 5-foot-3 and weighs 115 pounds, according to reports, got “fed up” of her store being robbed so she shot an alleged shoplifter.

She told police she grabbed her late mother Mary’s .38 Smith & Wesson snub-nose revolver and shot a suspect who was trying to steal alcohol last Tuesday, according to an affidavit obtained by McClatchy News Service.

“I did what I had to do, and I hope word gets out on the street that I’m fed up and I’m not taking it anymore,” she told The New York Post Saturday. “You’ve got to stick up for yourself sometimes.”

“I did what I had to do,” added Boyce, now out on $10,000 bond. “After you’ve been played for a fool by people stealin’ from you for years, you get fed up. And don’t put me in the category of a little old lady. I know how to take care of myself.”
Good for her!
Lady is a badass
Posted By: jwall Re: 88 YO store owner had enough - 06/22/20
And the victim of a robbery was arrested ? ? ?

What’s wrong with that picture ? sheesh !!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, If you had a coon or something constantly raiding and killing your chickens and roosters you would shoot it. Not much difference.
Some folks on here say shooting somebody over "stuff" is immoral, not to mention illegal in most locales. I personally think it should be nationwide as far as legal to shoot somebody stealing.
Like the old saying goes, the older you get, the less the threat of life in prison is a deterrent......lol
If more thieves were getting shot, there'd be much less thievery.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Some folks on here say shooting somebody over "stuff" is immoral, not to mention illegal in most locales. I personally think it should be nationwide as far as legal to shoot somebody stealing.

The old story was to fire the warning shot into the ceiling after shooting the perp and putting a knife in the hands of the corpse.
Originally Posted by Cretch
Hey, If you had a coon or something constantly raiding and killing your chickens and roosters you would shoot it. Not much difference.

Interesting choice of words.
She's tired of her store being robbed ,so she shoots a shoplifter?
Two very different things.
Shoot the robber, and it's self defense. Shoot a shoplifter because you're tired of being robbed and go to jail.
I would get worn down too and want to kick some asses but I don't think this will go well for the lady.

Yep. The question of whether a fifth of Night Train is worth a life should be on the mind of the one doing the stealing.
They had better not put somebody like me on the jury if they want a conviction.
So, shoplifting is not robbery ? Interesting.
Originally Posted by jwall

Theft and robbery are different things.
Somebody give that lady another gun- - - - -the Nashville JBT's took hers and won't give it back! Go Fund Me, maybe? Her store is very close to a huge housing project full of dopers, hookers, and welfare parasites.
Posted By: RLA Re: 88 YO store owner had enough - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn

No truer statement.
Make NO mistake, there is no diff in my book.

I’ll shoot a thief as quick as a robber !!!!
Robbery is a gun in your face and "give me all your money"
Shoplifting is theft with no threat to the other persons life.
The lousy lawyers would charge the poor lady that just as a retainer for a jury trial.
Let's pray that the DA, prosecutor, and cop drop the charges. They all have incentives for a conviction. Otherwise, the prosecutor gets reelected, the cop gets financial insentive more than likely at least a promotion and higher pay schedule. The lawyers make out win or lose. The poor lady has had enough, but keeps getting robbed.
Let's pray for her.
So they have to have a gun ???
Good Lord, I hope Bristoe is OK.......
Make NO mistake, there is no diff in my book.

I’ll shoot a thief as quick as a robber !!!!

Unfortunately these days one of those shots will get you into jail sooner than the other will.
So they have to have a gun ???

Not necessarily, he was citing examples to make the distinction.
Originally Posted by mathman

Perhaps in the mind of a lawyer.
Originally Posted by colodog
Shoot the robber, and it's self defense. Shoot a shoplifter because you're tired of being robbed and go to jail.
I would get worn down too and want to kick some asses but I don't think this will go well for the lady.

A ten dollar Pakistan lockback knife could have saved her some trouble...
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Those do tend to populate courtrooms, which is where you'll end up.
Is my life threatened?
Grab my collar and punch me, I'll shoot you.
Slip a fifth in your pants while your buddy distracts me, all I can do is show the video to the cops unless I'm willing to lock you in with me and wait for the cops.
82 year old woman vs a “yout” - of course her life was in danger if she’d try to recover her property - which she has every legal right to do.

Which ones?
Does she have a go fund me account?
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Which ones?

"Coon" in the present societal context.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Those do tend to populate courtrooms, which is where you'll end up.

Theft and robbery ARE two different things. They are titled and defined differently and the elements to meet the requirements of each crime are different. Shoplifting is generally theft from a retail setting without force. Robbery is theft using force or the threat of force.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/may-boyce
Posted By: HawkI Re: 88 YO store owner had enough - 06/22/20
At 82, there isnt much for recourse.

Call the cops? Thats a joke.

Im glad she shot the fugger and hope she walks.
Did the poor, misunderstood, thieving, prick survive? GD

jwall, so many pantywaists..
Good for her. What a shame that she is now going to be harassed by the criminal justice system instead of receiving a medal as she should. Tragic. It should be open season on brazen thieves.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

jwall, so many pantywaists..

Please don't confuse my pointing out of a technical distinction with a soft attitude toward thievery.
Originally Posted by colodog

What these people do isn't really shoplifting. Shoplifting is when you wait for when you're not being noticed and clandestinely slip something into your pocket and hope you can slip out unnoticed. What these people do is brazen theft. They will look you right in the eye as they do it. The implication is "I dare you to try and stop me ... see what happens to you if you do." That's more than shoplifting, even if it's not quite strong arm robbery. It's much closer to the latter than the former. It's become politically correct to term this shoplifting, to make it seem harmless rather than menacing.

That would be like removing a handful of sand from the beach.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Good for her. What a shame that she is now going to be harassed by the criminal justice system instead of receiving a medal as she should. Tragic. It should be open season on brazen thieves.

Well its good to know "the system" is in place to deal with renegade geriatrics....

It might actually be beneficial if it ever gets to the point old ladies can get justice short of gunfire.

I applaud her as a founding member of the new justice system for honest people.
The good news is that schitting on the cops at record levels will usher increased use of this system.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

https://www.gofundme.com/f/may-boyce

not very much money has been raised, I guess shes on her own.
While I certainly agree with the moral of this story in principle....she'd better have been 100% sure the shootee was shoplifting.
I've been accused of it before, when (I guess) I turned just right when an employee was looking at me with something I was buying in my hand and threw it in the cart. I guess he thought I shoved it down my shirt or something.
Another time when I was in my 20s I put my list of things to get in my pocket when I was in a store, and had an employee insist I had shoplifted something instead.

Shots would have been fired back if those store workers who thought I had shoplifted, was like this old lady...
I just donated $100.00 to her go fund me page- - - - -anybody else want to put your money where your mouth is? No, that doesn't mean wrap a C-note around the d ick you're sucking!
Sometimes in life, enough is enough.

Happy Trails

Bob

Yep. The question of whether a fifth of Night Train is worth a life should be on the mind of the one doing the stealing.

Each time I see a thread like this I am reminded of this meme another member posted on the meme thread.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is legal in Texas to shoot someone stealing from you
Posted By: jimy Re: 88 YO store owner had enough - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by jwp475

When exactly is it that you have to make the determination, if they plan on stealing your life or just your laptop ?

Which ones?

"Coon" in the present societal context.

The coon was just coon fingering not stealing.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
While I certainly agree with the moral of this story in principle....she'd better have been 100% sure the shootee was shoplifting.
I've been accused of it before, when (I guess) I turned just right when an employee was looking at me with something I was buying in my hand and threw it in the cart. I guess he thought I shoved it down my shirt or something.
Another time when I was in my 20s I put my list of things to get in my pocket when I was in a store, and had an employee insist I had shoplifted something instead.

Shots would have been fired back if those store workers who thought I had shoplifted, was like this old lady...

I highly doubt we're talking about the classic shoplifting scenario here. These folks brazenly steal, without concern for anyone seeing them, because they know no one will dare stop them, and the criminal justice system has no punishment for them if later caught.
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by jwp475

When exactly is it that you have to make the determination, if they plan on stealing your life or just your laptop ?

In Texas you can shoot someone that is taking your property. What are you not understanding

If many people steal your [bleep] you can’t buy food and you’d starve! Tell me that ain’t MURDER!!
Originally Posted by doubletap

That would be like removing a handful of sand from the beach.

SO!!!!! The chinese built a phoucing wall over 13,000 miles long ONE BRICK AT A TIME!!! And took near a 1,000 years............

Don't tell me something can't be done!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If many people steal your [bleep] you can’t buy food and you’d starve! Tell me that ain’t MURDER!!

There was a time that stealing a mans horse would get you hung......... because they thought the very same thing!!!

Though it weren't actual 'LAW'....

Don't recall a lot of stories about people going to jail for hanging horse thieves....
What's pathetic is that there isn't like 99% agreement on here with the old lady. What a bunch of chicks.
What's pathetic is that there isn't like 99% agreement on here with the old lady. What a bunch of chicks.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Note that the only function performed effectively by the cops and prosecutors in this incident is arresting the victim of theft.

There is a lesson to be learned here.
Originally Posted by jfruser
Note that the only function performed effectively by the cops and prosecutors in this incident is arresting the victim of theft.

There is a lesson to be learned here.

Yep

And the victim of a robbery was arrested ? ? ?

What’s wrong with that picture ? sheesh !!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by reivertom
They had better not put somebody like me on the jury if they want a conviction.

Same here. That lady would have been hurt if she had tried to stop them from shoplifting. There were 2 of them and 1 of her. Justified shooting IMHO.

Jim
First come tha’ looting then here come the shooting .

Happy Trails

Bob
Posted By: Huntz Re: 88 YO store owner had enough - 06/22/20
Shoot the thief and call the friendly man with the track hoe. grin
© 24hourcampfire