Home
Posted By: CashisKing Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Not sure if it's going to be a concern or not but just figured I'd put it out there.

We put in a huge garden this year and while I was at Walmart today figured I would get a couple of new cases of wide mouth Mason jars.

They had plenty of the small jars... but the one quart size were running very scarce. I got the last two cases.

Don't know if this is just temporary or if it's going to be like toilet paper was 2 months ago.

Just an FYI if anyone else is going to be looking to be canning over the next few months.
Posted By: deflave Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Joy.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Must be the essential oil buying man bun millennials
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Yep

When all you fuggers were takin bitches out to eat at red lobster and spending money lowering your s-10 and getting Enkei sawblades

I was hitting up old ladies at church 20 years ago for canning jars.

I am now the Dan Halen of quart mason jars.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Slumlord has plenty he can sell. Word is in-laws are hoarders.

3/$1.

Just have to scrap out the 10 year old fig preserves and stewed beef.
Posted By: krp Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Worse, went to sportsmans and basspro to look for handgun ammo... none... expected that but... no fish hooks, just wanted some small trout bait hooks getting low for the grandkids... none, just a few big specialty hooks... the F?

Kent
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Slumlord/ Dan Halen has rafters full of em.

Literally....
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by krp
Worse, went to sportsmans and basspro to look for handgun ammo... none... expected that but... no fish hooks, just wanted some small trout bait hooks getting low for the grandkids... none, just a few big specialty hooks... the F?

Kent

Somebody will be along directly to tell us all how to make gunpowder out of chicken poop and fishing hooks out of sewing needles
I cleaned a dollar general out of standard lids one June about 3 years ago.

Just to be a dick to a small town of 20,000 people as “June apples” were coming in.

4 cases of lids.

They only have one D-G in Houston County, so I hope it stung. laugh
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
How much of the short items are produced in the US? I'm betting that reduced imports from China are starting to his the shelves.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Thanks for the heads up.

I have a commercial dehydrator and vacuum sealer.
The bags are pricier than they should be, but it's another option for long term storage.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Vac bags on eBay.

Forget the seller.

Made in the USA in bulk.
Speaking of Goodwill

We scored about 30 rolls of foodsaver bags for a 10$pot in there a few summers back

5 deer in 3 years have not put a dent in that pyramid of vacuum saver rolls.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Posted By: Hastings Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
I went to the grocery store today and there was a 2 can limit on beans and 2 package limit on dry beans. What's up?
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Those are for all those huge alligator gars there in your Arizona rivers. Trout hooks won't work on gars. grin

L.W.
[quote=renegade50]

You left off after his Chemo

Laughing.

Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Lucious Clay puts slumlord to shame...
Originally Posted by deflave
Joy.

Yepp... Rocky Top
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Been that way for months now
I've posted elsewhere that even
Lehman's ran out of all canning
jars of every size and type
When that happens, things are BAD
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
You can use the throwaway one shot
jars one time if they're thoroughly
cleaned. I've reused them for hot water
canning as in for salsa and pickled
stuff. They wouldn't take pressure
canning. I wouldn't trust the seal more
than one reuse
Actually think the best time to buy them is when everyone else doesn’t need them. Like March

they get lumped into that trap of being a sometimes “seasonal” item depending on your favorite retailer.

Have to catch them at the onset of early gardening, spring promotions, etc.

Unpredictable inventories are predictable with all the supply chain interruptions and extra humans working from home or laid off with time on their hands.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
We have plenty.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Soon, folks be stealing them from the local historical society museums if they don't start selling more of them..

Just like yeast and flour shortages, if the Bad People ever let us up from the weight of riots and The Corona, there's going to be a whole lot of unused canning jars going to the local thrift shops when stay at home Karen realizes she really don't like to do all that work and clean up. The yeast and unused flour (with weevils maybe??) will end up on the Waste Management truck on it's way to a dump in the desert.
Probably right.

I bet the food waste these last several months has been yuge.
Karen

TFF

good one Geno
Posted By: krp Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
I keep my flour in the deep freezer, no weevils, and use canning jars for storage of food items but never canned anything, though I do have the pots and stuff.

Kent
I've got some, wife wondered why do I have a few boxes of them in the shop/garage? And I keep a good dozen or so of various sizes in one of the kitchen cupboards. Always using them for temporary storage of stuff, haven't canned anything since we moved here in fall '16. Garden hasn't started producing that much extra yet.

Then my wife started making some different curds, like lemon, pomegranate, and presently there's a lovely cherry one in the fridge.

She now understands why I keep canning jars.

We get a good supply too from our honey usage, the local honey folks put theirs up in mason jars. We go through about a pint of honey a week, easy. Sometimes a whole quart if there's baking going on.
I am pretty sure that you cant get ranch dressing that isn't in a mason jar.

I know for a fact that blue cheese dressing always comes in a mason jar.
Certain sketti sauces too.
That's some serious storage!
The company told me that they clearance them once a year direct. I don't recall when. I think it was around Christmas.

I saved mylar coffee bags with the one way valve.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
While other sheeple were panic buying chit tickets when the COVID-19 first started, I bought a shopping cart full of mason jars. I saw a shortage coming.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Similar around here as well. I started collecting them back in late April. Local Amish store had a couple pallets of them by front door two months ago. Down to two boxes last week. Mark up was something else. $0.25 each for flats. $1.00 each for rings. A dozen new flats and rings would cost as much as a dozen new jars with the flats and rings.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20

I've seen them pretty much everywhere that sells them around here. Wife always keeps at least a years supply of lids ahead, just in case. A few years ago, her sister have her about 6 dozen jars, and I told her that I'd put them back somewhere for "hard times." Well, we had a Mennonite neighbor girl cleaning house for us, and she tells wife she's getting married, and is working in order to buy stuff to set up house with, so wife helps her out by giving the canning jars she doesn't think we'll ever need.............which we probably never will, as we have a bunch of extra quart jars. But, we did buy some pint jars this time, as she's started canning more stuff in pints.

So far this year, we've canned 42 quarts of green beans, a recipe of dill pickles, some tenderloin, a recipe of sweet relish, and have some sweet pickles in brine now to can in a few days.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
have a bunch of them from when i was making shtine.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Walmart here was picked clean of fishing stuff. Damndest thing I have seen. We dont live on a lake, and its not a shore town. Lotta fishing here, but an entire walmart section picked clean? Weird.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
... of course I could easily restock walmart for a month with what I already have...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
My Wife bought them all! crazy
Originally Posted by Valsdad
The yeast and unused flour (with weevils) will end up on the Waste Management truck on it's way to a dump in the desert.

Weevil Lives Matter
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
In the 70's the IH dealer was ordering the small jars that were used in the H, an M Farmall air cleaners. People were buying those for canning.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We have plenty.

Well big Jim that's because the farther you live from town the more common sense you have and greater sense of being organized and responsibllity to yourself and family. When you live in town the more you act like a trained rat. MB
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Walmart here was picked clean of fishing stuff. Damndest thing I have seen. We dont live on a lake, and its not a shore town. Lotta fishing here, but an entire walmart section picked clean? Weird.
When my dad was suffering dementia, every time he went fishing, which was a lot, he'd forget that he had hooks, bait, & other stuff and would go buy new stuff. When he died, you wouldn't believe how much fishing stuff my sister and I had to clean up. We had buckets of unopened Power Bait, stacks of unopened hooks, etc. We must have had 40 miles of new line. He died in '06 and I still have boxes of stuff.
Posted By: trplem Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
We have plenty.

Well big Jim that's because the farther you live from town the more common sense you have and greater sense of being organized and responsibllity to yourself and family. When you live in town the more you act like a trained rat. MB

I live in Tailgunner Joe's hometown. We had no real problems keeping all manner of good stuff on the shelves. That includes mason jars, available even in schmancy ble from Fleet/Farm and Wood-Mart.
I’m going to have to post some pics. lol

Conrad....let’s see you canning jar hoard before your fan boys get too gushy.

laugh
Haha! Dont feel threatened.

It sounds like you got me beat by a couple thousand or so........
lol

They don’t get “Dan Halen Status”
Slum Halen Canning Jars International.......
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
I just picked up a case or 12 pints at the local Mennonite store for $9. They had dozens of cases of all sizes there. No shortage in my neck of the woods.
Area's with HOA's often dont have a huge supply of canning jars laying around.

The more Starbucks you have.....the lower the supply of canning jars you will come across. Unless you buy them one at a time......with a candle inside.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
have a bunch of them from when i was making shtine.

Cool, they're already sterilized if you kept the good stuff in them.
Area's with HOA's often dont have a huge supply of canning jars laying around.

The more Starbucks you have.....the lower the supply of canning jars you will come across. Unless you buy them one at a time......with a candle inside.

Probably can't reuse those Jim.

Never get the stink of "Northwoods Pine and Balsam" out of the jar. Would ruin some good jam or pickles.
If you buy this Classico brand pasta marinara, there’s an Atlas canning jar under that label. Standard lid.

They are 24 Oz though

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We have a few of those hanging around in cupboards and boxes. I should say I have some. My wife is always tossing good stuff like that.
Originally Posted by slumlord

A mason jar Call Our thread... what have I done?

Please guys... "We are all in this together..."
Originally Posted by CashisKing

A mason jar Call Our thread... what have I done?

Please guys... "We are all in this together..."

Did everyone catch that?

It means he's willing to send us some if we run short. smirk
Posted By: kennyd Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/25/20
I have atlas, drey, ball, kerr, blue ball with bails and glass lids, some were old when mom had them. Quarts, pints, half pints, gallons. We used mayo jars all the time. You can reuse lids in a pinch if you dont take them off roughly. I also have never used zinc lids and rubbers. The history folks aint got nothing on me.

Dont forget the paraffin. Or just let the mold seal it and s scrape it off

I have one canadian jar that has a lid half way between regular and wide.
If you buy this Classico brand pasta marinara, there’s an Atlas canning jar under that label. Standard lid.

They are 24 Oz though

They have a half decent sauce. Best thing is that they are one of the few companies that uses good
reusable containers. I use those for dry storage, longer term and liquids short term. Called the company and talked to a gal that asked around and got back to me with an answer to my question. I was wondering if those were the same grade as the ones we are talking about and reusable for even hot pack?
She confirmed that they aren't made for or supposed to be reused because they could break.
I suppose that they order a mess of those at a price point cheaper than canning jars and should be used with caution as a last batch after the good ones are used. Never canned with them but did boil sterilize with no issues.
I would therefore NOT use them in a pressure canning scenario

However, I now do almost all of our canning with a hot water bath stock pot

You could use them in there.

For the same reason I’m perfectly comfortable with using the older Kraft mayo and miracle whip jars. Those are not pyrex grade either and yet, No probs.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
I saw plenty of the canning jars in town today. We also have an odd to us Canadian jar.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
My local Rural King just got in a shipment. I picked up all I’ll need for this season, tonight. They still had plenty of jars, but there were only a few pots and canners left.
I wanted to buy an All American 930 canner this year but they are gone everywhere because of this stupid virus.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Ha, years ago, my father told me a Canadian friend wanted some corn whisky from Iowa. At that time there was on whisky made in Iowa.

I told my father to take an empty canning jar, and buy the rankest whisky he could buy in Canada, and give it to him. laugh
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Still cleaning out the hoard from the weekend foray at ‘meemaws’

This bicentennial was in the spider infested box of junkers.

Hey Conrad how bout that glass jar of the Miracle mind control mayo.
Posted By: sse Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
there's a shortage of mason jars filled with .22 LR
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
spawn.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
I am confused, I like green beans but holy schidt how many can you eat?

I guess Large James might not live w/in the delivery radius of Uber Eats or Grubhub but the rest of you are just food hoarders. I am picturing hand dug cellars w/ mummified deer carcasses and corky tasting wine... and little brown jugs of moonshine. How do you can a pizza?

mike r
Got to have some medium to use up all the left over bacon grease.
My growler is from Yorkshire, she cooks toast in it. Like primal w/ carbs.

mike r
Posted By: rem141r Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
them classico jars work great for bud. or so i heard. from a bud.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Stay here and guard the green bean storage vault while I set up a mechanical ambush down by that intersection 3/4ths a mile away.

9 volt battery. check
100mph tape. check
Clothes pin. check
Plastic spoon. check
WD1 wire. check
Big boom thing elec fused. check
(Can also use flashlight bulb with glass broken off and filament intact)
Gerber tool. check

LOL!!!
Carefully seperate the glass from the light bulb and fill it w/ gasoline. rejoin the parts w/ superglue and reinstall in an overhead fixture. Or, run a hotwire form the starter to a sparkplug in the gas tank of a vehicle. There are few moments in life as fulfilling as squeezing off a daisy chain of claymores on an unsuspecting enemy. A well executed ambush is an art form that few appreciate. My wife thinks that I am different.

mike r
Posted By: Steve Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
My local Rural King just got in a shipment. I picked up all I’ll need for this season, tonight. They still had plenty of jars, but there were only a few pots and canners left.
I wanted to buy an All American 930 canner this year but they are gone everywhere because of this stupid virus.

I bought a used 930 off Craiglist last year. It's been great. Might check there.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Zero shortage of jars around Loveland, CO and no shortage in the Duck basement for sure.

Side note: It seems counter-intuitive but Foodsaver (yes, the actual company) frequently has GREAT deals on bags right on their website.

Not Slummy pyramid-o-bag like scores, but "buy 1, get 2 free" kind of offers, with free shipping.

For LONG sous vide cooks (like 48 hour pastrami) I like to use those bags versus ziplock. Less chance of failure.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by duck911
Zero shortage of jars around Loveland, CO and no shortage in the Duck basement for sure.

Side note: It seems counter-intuitive but Foodsaver (yes, the actual company) frequently has GREAT deals on bags right on their website.

Not Slummy pyramid-o-bag like scores, but "buy 1, get 2 free" kind of offers, with free shipping.

For LONG sous vide cooks (like 48 hour pastrami) I like to use those bags versus ziplock. Less chance of failure.

Do they still make the “double seal” zip lock bags? That seems easier than breaking out the vacuum sealer for one bag or two bags.

Happy Trails

Bob
Posted By: duck911 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Do they still make the “double seal” zip lock bags? That seems easier than breaking out the vacuum sealer for one bag or two bags.
Bob

They do, but it's less about the zipper seal and more about the thin seams around the edges for super long sous vides.

I had a heavy duty ziplock fail on a long prime rib cook once. I won't do that again. And my vacuum sealer lives in my pantry at arms reach, so no problem.

But yes, for 6 minute asparagus, 20 minute salmon, or any other cook just for the day, I go ziplock!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
The lids are kinda scarce around here this year, and pricy if you find them. Found a Dollar General that had Golden Harvest lids for 1.75 a box nearby, bought 18 boxes. Will probably go buy another dozen.

Tip: the Wal-Mart store brand of canning lids suck big time. Made in China of course, and very thin. They can buckle in a pressure canner. Stick with US made lids.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by Steve

I bought a used 930 off Craiglist last year. It's been great. Might check there.

I watched a 930 go for $460 on ebay a couple weeks ago....crazy. I think they are around $350 new shipped from the All American website.
Posted By: Steve Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Think I paid a hundred, maybe a little more. Works great.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My growler is from Yorkshire, she cooks toast in it. Like primal w/ carbs.

mike r

Toast fried in the skillet after the eggs and bacon are out is a favorite with me.

Learned it from the old man. His mother's maiden name was Windsor.

Ya' think he learned it from her?
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Carefully seperate the glass from the light bulb and fill it w/ gasoline. rejoin the parts w/ superglue and reinstall in an overhead fixture. Or, run a hotwire form the starter to a sparkplug in the gas tank of a vehicle. There are few moments in life as fulfilling as squeezing off a daisy chain of claymores on an unsuspecting enemy. A well executed ambush is an art form that few appreciate. My wife thinks that I am different.

mike r

I know man...
I know.....
Some people just dont appreciate certain skills.
The ambush is a art form only limited by imagination.
Claymores wired up in trees downward is a good one also.
Canning jars could be put to good use with a gas, diesel, and styrofoam mix in em and a V shaped object behind em or inside of a nice directional buried and angled tube with a little booster charge of whatever behind either.

Foo gas dat azz and let em burn.

liberal Socialist Democrat minons just dont realize schitt if it ever goes down for real......

Allright guys ...
Today class will be on unmanned single or multiple staged mechanical ambushes and how to set em up for mass casualties and psychological effect on the enemy.
Your imagination is your only limitation.
Common materials at hand for todays class are..........

LOL!!!!

Posted By: trplem Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20

mike r
Posted By: trplem Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 06/26/20
Originally Posted by trplem

mike r

pickled green beans are meant to be soaked in a martini before consumption. It makes them delicious to the point where at least two quart jars per person per sitting may be enjoyed.
Dang

Dan Halen International is slipping bad.

I’m down to a case and some change...

Wides are hard for me to find, they sell out faster and I’ve only ever seen W in the Ball brand. Expensive too.

I only have about a hundred lids in wide mouth.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 10/19/20
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

I watched a 930 go for $460 on ebay a couple weeks ago....crazy. I think they are around $350 new shipped from the All American website.

Your head is so far up your ass you don't know what you're talkin about
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 10/19/20

Your head is so far up your ass you don't know what you're talkin about

Go drink your home brew alky, because I know you're not smart enough to make something that won't kill you.

Drink up you loser cyber stalker.
Is this the best you can do.....dig up a 4 month old thread.

You're embarrassing yourself, but I'm luvving every minute.

Okay that's fine you're wonderful liar and a piece of crap Chase my ass all over the site I'll see you at 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 10/19/20
I see em all over here.
Cases of em on shelves in wally world and rural king.
Aint no shortage here and this is green acres central farmland and gardens around here.
Hell 2 of the LGS I go to have raised bed veggie gardens on their property in the middle of town.
Elkslayer cannot be trusted in any way shape or form he's a bold-faced liar
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 10/19/20
have a bunch, quart and pint.

Okay that's fine you're wonderful liar and a piece of crap Chase my ass all over the site I'll see you at 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

You accuse me of lying, but can't post proof in the original thread showing the doctors at the USSC thread.

What's the matter, talking trash about the Industrial corrupt medical complex set you off?

Are you in the corrupt medical field that enjoys bankrupting people, and destroying their lives through price fixing, collusion, illegal monopoly and numerous other violations of the law?
I'll see you at 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

Are those the times they wheel you out of your bed at the old folks home to clean you up from crapping all over yourself.....like you're presently doing all over this board?
Posted By: las Re: Mason Jar shortage? - 10/19/20
Some 30 years ago, along about November?, I bought the whole lot of a closeout sale. 40 cases, at $2/case. IIRC, they had been going for $8.

Gave some away over the years, empty or full, some broke, but still have about 8 cases. Some with moose or caribou in them, but mostly empty. Probably try to fill the rest up next year hunting season.

Thinking some might be stew, rather than just straight meat.

When I was growing up, my mother always put up 1000 qts or more, various stuff, annually. Not meat. We kids washed a lot of jars! I was going to can up left-over 2019 caribou meat this year- about 50 lbs, - but we had it made into sausage instead. Good stuff!
© 24hourcampfire