Home
Posted By: Jim_Knight Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
All BS aside...who would be the best Governor for Utah? Hint...I know it ain't Huntsman....just another Romney. Curious...
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Spencer Cox!
Posted By: denton Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Yup. Cox has the quals. Huntsman has been running some great feelgood ads ,but I dont think he is a great choice.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
These are the kind of "polls" that count and mean more about where we stand.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Cox by default. Hughes rough around the edges, Huntsman slick Washington political insider.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Huntsman says he has a great economic plan for Utah. He has a great plan count on it, but its not for the Utahans. Its for him and associates and out of state associates, (and some in state-- Romney real estate trust)
that will be building the new silicon valley in Tooele county next to the private air port (called Skywalk or some BS). An IT center using a large portion of the green card IT folks talked about in posts elsewhere on this forum. The others green cards will go to the IT Amazon center located in Harriman, one square mile of computers and associated parking lots. Thank Mike Lee for that.

At least with Cox as gov. the borders of Utah do not stop at Provo and Ogden, Park City and West Valley
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
I don't think the voters have much to say on who will be governor. He will be picked by the Quorum of Twelve Apostles right?
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Not hardly.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Hughes' running mate, Iverson, our current county commissioner, hasn't exactly been a friend of our local range. Like most local politicians, he seems to favor economic development and tourism over local quality of life. One of my sources opined that Cox is too cozy with the Democrats.

So, who to support? I'm between Cox and Hughes for now.

Paul
Posted By: stomatador Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
My son-in-law doesn't like that Cox brings religion to public meetings but I can look past that. Hughes seems like a loose cannon and I don't like Huntsman.
Posted By: oldno77 Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Huntsman wants to double our GDP, which needs to double the population.
His claim is we need to be the crossroads of the WORLD--no thanks.
Cox is too tight to Herbert and herbert was piss poor regarding gun rights.
Hughes came to the EXPO dinner and spoke well in regards to defending the 2nd, I chose Hughes.
Posted By: oldno77 Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
https://videos.utahgunexchange.com/...ith-greg-hughes-mp4_qZ5MuOhMKMlJSPN.html
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Huntsman had his chance, left us to work for Obama, not getting my vote. Cox seems like a good enough dude, but at the moment I'm leaning Hughes.
Huntsman's staff pretty uniformly regarded him as spineless.

Also, just before he left to be ambassador to China, there were rumblings of scandal about him improperly influencing the award of contracts for I-15 construction. Of course, when he left for China, those questions about the contract awards went away.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Which one has the best chance to beat Huntsman, Cox or Hughes? Opinions I have not cared for Herbert, he has been way too liberal for my taste. Anyone "freindly" with China is suspect to me, ha. Then of course, I hate, loathe and am repulsed by anyone/anything "Communist". smile
I think that Cox has the best chance to beat Huntsman....JMO.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 06/29/20
Someone who knows Mike Lee should ask HIM and go from there. Lee is exactly what Utah needed to send to the Senate, too bad he doesn't have a brother.
I wonder if any of the people that don't get elected governor will go after Romney in the primaries in a couple of years? A lot of people here are dissatisfied with him.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
How long does it take these "Vote counters" to sort this all out? I know reading and comprehension is not easy for some of them! smile
Posted By: denton Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
Looks like Burgess Owen's, former NFL player is going to be the R facing D Ben McAdams for House #4. I think Burgesss has a good shot at it.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
Voting record? The past defines the future.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
I know a fair number of people is SW Utah who are supporting Hughes/Iverson because, if they win gov/lt gov, we get rid of Iverson as county commissioner.

He may "support the 2nd Amendment", but IMO he hasn't been a friend to the local shooting community. All in for economic development, i.e. real estate and tourism.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
I voted for Cox but it was once again a case of having a less-than-stellar list of choices. As of this morning, he leads Huntsman by almost 3%, thank goodness.

Many of us most sincerely hope that both Huntsman and Romney simply go away. They're both no more than reincarnated McCains wearing the R badge but fighting against it every step of the way.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
This vote was a tough one!

Mike Lee actually endorsed Huntsman on TV IIRC.

Seems like most of them want to fuel the growth in big business and population on the Wasatch Front. Huntsman wants Utah to be the "Crossroads of the World!" Sounds like NY or California to me... no thanks!!! I've already dubbed the Wasatch Front "Southern California North" as it is already starting to really have the same "urban sprawl" feeling and traffic snarls. No we have the High Tech coming into Draper/Lehi areas and we know what that brings! Anyone commute through Lehi lately? They have been at it for 10 years now on that freeway and just can't get it right.

We already have a "people problem." I voted for Cox... not sure any were perfect candidates. At least his roots are from rural Utah and he values that lifestyle... I think.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/01/20
Not to mention that SW Utah has a water problem, and the growth and development crowd just deny it and keep pushing the Lake Powell pipeline as a solution (not). Those in the know understand that we will run out of water before we run out of land.

I'm not aware of a single politician who doesn't follow the (money) line.

Paul
Posted By: denton Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
Huntsman has conceded. Cox will be the R candidate for governor.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
Good!
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
Anyone but Huntsman...sweet.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
uhhh what? oh ye of little knowledge of utah politics!! Who is spencer cox? He runs around acting like a farmer but ask those from the area he lived and they say he is a fake farmer. Who is our governor currently? Herbert. He has raised taxes every year since 2011, he mandates masks, will do nothing to stop protestors blocking the roads in salt lake and provo. He told the highway patrol to stand down while our state capital building was tagged and graffiti'd. He is a weak leader, not a particularly good speaker and would never have been elected without having slid into the job after huntsman stepped down. The same thing with spencer cox. He will never be an outspoken confident leader. He will maintain all of herberts staff, who largely govern and not herbert himself so much. will likely raise taxes just like herbert has. Herbert sticks his finger in the air waits a while and then makes a decision. He also empowers every establishment faction out there. from count my vote, IE getting rid of the caucus, to giving away all the extra money the state gets to the schools. Cox will do nothing different. Oh yeah Cox is a never trumper too!!

what in the world is there to celebrate? NOTHING! huntsman, I refused to vote for him when he got elected the second time. I voted for dell schanze, LOL. But huntsman is the only governor in the 21 years I have lived here to cut taxes. He does have a background of connections, and IMO would have been FAR better than Cox as a leader.

the Truth is Thomas Wright was the best choice, but he only got 8% of the vote, which I predicted. We voted for hughes in our family. Hughes will never be called a weak leader. He is an early trump guy and while I don't agree with him always, a strong leader brings debate to the issues.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
Few are celebrating, (perhaps in the negative sense)

best people for the job never run for office, (what was Schanze going to do, the IT for the computers in the capitol building?-- was funny however)

SLC, Sandy, Draper,Jordan that entire valley are in some real growing pains. There will be tax increases regardless of who gets gov.

Herbert was smart enough to keep most of the protests in the downtown SLC area, so they didn't get shot by the rednecks in the non liberal areas, making the problem even worse.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by Etoh
Few are celebrating, (perhaps in the negative sense)

best people for the job never run for office, (what was Schanze going to do, the IT for the computers in the capitol building?-- was funny however)

SLC, Sandy, Draper,Jordan that entire valley are in some real growing pains. There will be tax increases regardless of who gets gov.

Herbert was smart enough to keep most of the protests in the downtown SLC area, so they didn't get shot by the rednecks in the non liberal areas, making the problem even worse.

I voted for schanze just to be funny. Herbert smart enough to keep protests in salt lake? Someone was shot in Provo. People were attacked in Provo wtf. Are you blind?
Posted By: Etoh Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
Don't think anyone on this forum know about Schanze or his antics. (humor lost) The someone shot wasn't a protestor in case you missed that it was someone running down the protestors. also the occurrence was in the University Ave. -- same liberal demographics.---- where were the protests, in St. George?, WVC, or Magna.

Protests in SLC were located around the Federal and State buildings, Leonardo Building, and the Library, would you have preferred them at the Real Soccer center in Sandy?

Huntsman would have cut red tape for the Inland Port authority, Romny real estate trust, (silicon valley in Tooele county and Harriman) to make it the Crossroads of the World as stated by lundtroller earlier.

But then your the expert in politics.
Posted By: denton Re: Utah Primary 2020 - 07/07/20
In the middle of Huntsman's administration, a scandal started to emerge about the awarding of construction contracts for I-15. Huntsman left to be ambassador to China, apparently just a couple of steps ahead of the scandal. I still wonder if perhaps friends on the federal level acted to get him out of harm's way.
© 24hourcampfire