Home
Posted By: krp Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
We all have to do something different now and then, I decided I wanted a sheepherders trailer, they are a thing people build on flatbeds to resemble old sheepherder's wagons.

Well instead I found an old camp trailer someone had already gutted and redid the insides.

I'm not following the exact pattern of a sheepherder's wagon so now I say I'm making a bunkhouse trailer.

No propane inside, I usually make a camp kitchen outside under the canopy even with the 5th wheel, I will have a single coleman burner with canister to make coffee or such inside. I will have 12v and solar, can even run an inverter.

Mostly I will furnish it with vintage stuff, I wanted a Hoosier cabinet for the 'kitchen' but the door is to narrow, so picked up a vintage enamel top table and old homemade hutch at an antique store, my poor man's Hoosier.

I can use just a cot when by myself, use camp bunk beds for the grandkids or a queen blowup in the front open area if needed, otherwise a table and chairs can go in the open area.

Mostly it's for sleeping and outside will be the cooking and eating.

This is how far I've gotten already, floor in and sides, oiled the floor and part of the sides till I ran out today. 12v elect wires and plugs.

Still have to replace the vent, do the ceiling and some outside stuff, lights and washbasin over the wheelwell.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I put my furniture in to see how it fits before finishing the floor and walls. It's pretty roomy keeping it minimal.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Fit for purpose gets it done without the fluff.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Cool beans
Posted By: Judman Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Wow man, very nice!!
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
How heavy you figure that will be.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Nice! Looks like a fun project.
I've thought it would be nice to have a smaller trailer for solo hunts.
Originally Posted by jdm953
How heavy you figure that will be.

Maybe a thousand pounds, it'll be less than when it had all the cabinets, kitchen and stuff in it originally, which was 1200.

Kent
Very nice!! 👍
Put some kool Seal on the top.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Yep, luckily it doesn't leak but the roof was sagging some so holding water, I rebuilt and lifted it to drain and have a new metal vent to install then seal.

Kent
Place to run after Cheryl kicks you out?
smile smile smile
Originally Posted by krp

Yep, luckily it doesn't leak but the roof was sagging some so holding water, I rebuilt and lifted it to drain and have a new metal vent to install then seal.

Kent

That’ll work, Kent. Kool Seal is fairly flexible for rougher roads and out of the way places.

Have you found most of what you’ve disassembled to be both screwed and glued ?
I have a 5th wheel with a superslide, but it's a pain if I'm not taking the wife and grandkids, wanted something for solo trips I can bumper pull with the Tahoe which is better to hunt out of than the duramax. Also for extra sleeping when my daughter, SIL, and grandkids all come camping, it gets cramped. So two purposes.

And I just wanted something that is vintage like.

Kent
Keep the pics and progress coming.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

That’ll work, Kent. Kool Seal is fairly flexible for rougher roads and out of the way places.

Screwed and nailed no glue. I've mostly used brads and finish nails with some screws in stuff I may want to change out.

Kent
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
That is awesome Kent!

Very nice little camper.
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Screwed and nailed no glue. I've mostly used brads and finish nails with some screws in stuff I may want to change out.

Kent

I helped a friend do what you’re doing years ago and everything was glued and screwed together. It was a major pain !
Nice job.

How is the weight with the new wood?

Probably better than the particle board that was likely original...
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Keep the progress reports coming. Excellent project!

RS
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent

I helped a friend do what you’re doing years ago and everything was glued and screwed together. It was a major pain !

Whoever gutted it first did most the hard work, what they put back was easy to remove.

Kent
Like RipSnort said, keep us posted.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
I like what you put on the walls.

Bob
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Nice job.

How is the weight with the new wood?

Probably better than the particle board that was likely original...

I used cedar for the walls, originally I was thinking pallet wood, I have access to unlimited pallets, till I tried taking one apart to save the wood... all the nails and splits was to much work.

So I went to HD and looked at cedar... expensive... till I saw their cheap cedar fence slats, I had to cut the crown off the top, but super light weight and less than a buck a sq ft coverage. probably 75lbs of cedar. I used T&G pine for the floor for durability over the softer cedar and it turned out great. maybe 50lbs.

I thought I was told the trailers were 1200, I look it up and it was 1500 dry weight, so I bet I lost 400lbs in appliances, cabinets, beds and table. So more like 12 to 1300 lbs now, easy tow.

Kent
Oh, and the wood is 1/2 inch so stronger than the thin plywood, yes.

Kent
I really like this. Putting in A/C?
A negative is it was only 6' 2" ceiling height and now it's 6' 1". I'm 5' 9" so no biggy but my friend that's 6 4 will have to stoop.

Kent
Nice.

It will smell good too.

I used some cedar from a local mill for a small project.
It worked well.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I really like this. Putting in A/C?

No. I don't plan to use it in the desert in the summer, up in the mountains if needed I can use a small portable swamper, they've got some cool tech now, just run it off the inverter and solar.

Kent
Nice.

It will smell good too.

It worked well.

I was afraid it would be overwhelming but it hasn't at all, it's white cedar so not as aromatic, yet nice.

Kent
Posted By: EdM Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Well done Kent. My wife threatens me with such a project. That or, her dream, a caboose...
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Knew an old codger that had a old 50's Shasta Trailer he did that to a took it every year to Colorado from Kommiefornia for several decades Elk and deer hunting. Past it to his son and as far as I know its still going.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
That should work really well.I have watched folks try to cram a two bedroom house into a trailer.I have never liked the results.A good place to get out of the weather if needed.Outside cooking is for me.I would be sleeping outside if no bugs.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
That's very nice Kent!
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
That's coming out very nice!

;-Jake
Posted By: saddlering Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Looking very Nice , keep us posted!
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Very nice project, looking good. My wife and I refurbished three vintage trailers. Two 57s and a 58. I know what you are going through.

A few thoughts:

If you have a storage area access door, which I didn't see on the door side, you can prop up a small window AC unit on the outside and send the cool air through that storage area door opening to cool trailer without altering it.

If you have to apply some sort of roof coating my recommendation is Henry's 100% silicone roof coating which is an amazing product with a lifetime guarantee. Don't know about lifetime BUT it blows all the other roof coatings away.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-H...Coating-4-75-Gallon-HE887HS018/205049553

If you want an inexpensive way to heat up the trailer and also have light, get a propane light system, which many older trailers came with. They use the mesh coleman globes. We stayed around the Yellowstone area and that tiny light would warm things up nicely. Here is an example:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/101...50byp6gIVfz6tBh1x7QvmEAQYAyABEgJSsvD_BwE

Hope you get it set up to fit your needs. Keep posting.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Knew an old codger that had a old 50's Shasta Trailer he did that to a took it every year to Colorado from Kommiefornia for several decades Elk and deer hunting. Past it to his son and as far as I know its still going.

Without all the foofurah it should last forever keeping the roof dry and axles greased.

Kent
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20

Kent, I have a original sheep camp trailer, From the the Theos, sheep outfit in Colorado, They are called a HOME, by the herder's.

Mine is set up to be pulled by a team of horses, but we can pull it with a pickup if you go slow, it is all as it was built over 90 yrs ago, all I've replaced is the canvas top and a couple of bows. still has small wood stove, table and bunks, and oil lamps that used rendered sheep fat. It's at my place in Colorado, my grand kids love camping in it down by the lake.

The Theos, brother's ran over 100,000 sheep in N.W. Colo. when I was a boy. Rio7
Posted By: Pugs Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Originally Posted by krp
Nice.

It will smell good too.

It worked well.

I was afraid it would be overwhelming but it hasn't at all, it's white cedar so not as aromatic, yet nice.

Kent

Really neat project and nice work. Are you going to upgrade the tires/springs to get a little more clearance for rougher roads?
Originally Posted by RIO7

Kent, I have a original sheep camp trailer, From the the Theos, sheep outfit in Colorado, They are called a HOME, by the herder's.

Mine is set up to be pulled by a team of horses, but we can pull it with a pickup if you go slow, it is all as it was built over 90 yrs ago, all I've replaced is the canvas top and a couple of bows. still has small wood stove, table and bunks, and oil lamps that used rendered sheep fat. It's at my place in Colorado, my grand kids love camping in it down by the lake.

The Theos, brother's ran over 100,000 sheep in N.W. Colo. when I was a boy. Rio7

Love the pictures of the old wagons, some were canvas and others tin. I thought about a small wood stove but here in az it wouldn't be used enough and take up space.

You've lived an interesting life my friend that's for sure.

Kent
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by krp
Nice.

It will smell good too.

It worked well.

Kent

Really neat project and nice work. Are you going to upgrade the tires/springs to get a little more clearance for rougher roads?

The friend that I helped revamp his put the springs over the axle and added 10 ply tires. It would pretty much follow that old chevy blazer that he had.

One of his sons still has both.
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by krp
Nice.

It will smell good too.

It worked well.

Kent

The axles and springs have already been flipped, I bought 2 new tires and rims from Tractor supply, on sale if you bought 2 for 200 bucks.

I got the trailer for 800, tires 200, wood at about 500, vent 40, table and hutch 100... danish oil, roof coating, fuse box, elec outlet, and misc has been about 300. I'll probably have just over 2000 in it when it's done.

Kent
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Very nice project, looking good. My wife and I refurbished three vintage trailers. Two 57s and a 58. I know what you are going through.

A few thoughts:

If you have a storage area access door, which I didn't see on the door side, you can prop up a small window AC unit on the outside and send the cool air through that storage area door opening to cool trailer without altering it.

If you have to apply some sort of roof coating my recommendation is Henry's 100% silicone roof coating which is an amazing product with a lifetime guarantee. Don't know about lifetime BUT it blows all the other roof coatings away.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-H...Coating-4-75-Gallon-HE887HS018/205049553

If you want an inexpensive way to heat up the trailer and also have light, get a propane light system, which many older trailers came with. They use the mesh coleman globes. We stayed around the Yellowstone area and that tiny light would warm things up nicely. Here is an example:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/101...50byp6gIVfz6tBh1x7QvmEAQYAyABEgJSsvD_BwE

Hope you get it set up to fit your needs. Keep posting.

I did get 5 gallons of Henry's but the 100 buck stuff, figuring to do the 5th wheel and small trailers. I may rethink it and get the silicon one.

Kent
Posted By: kingston Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Kent what do you plan to cover the ceiling with?
Terrific project and execution. Love the cedar picket walls. I have an idea to use them for the interior walls of a home in the woods instead of drywall.

What oil finish did you use?
Posted By: tzone Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Cool
Originally Posted by jfruser
Terrific project and execution. Love the cedar picket walls. I have an idea to use them for the interior walls of a home in the woods instead of drywall.

What oil finish did you use?

Danish oil, natural, really makes it pop. the cedar slats are rough so it uses a bunch more oil than the floor. The floor pine was smooth so the oil slid around easy, used one pint, will use about 5 pints for the walls. If you can find a gallon would be best for bigger projects.

I used danish oil with walnut for the floor not the natural, to give it color and contrast.

Kent
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
That's turning out very well, great project! I've had a few old ones over the years...wish I would have kept one of the Scotty's.
Originally Posted by kingston
Kent what do you plan to cover the ceiling with?

I'm thinking thin pine grain plywood and use the walnut danish oil like the floor, found it at Lowes for 40 bucks a sheet. These trailers have haphazard 'framing' based on where the cabinets were and appliances, no systematic spacing, the ceiling framing is running the wrong way for T&G, I don't want to rebuild the whole thing, also I want to keep it as thin as possible and retain as much height as possible.

Kent
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Awesome, Kent!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Very Nice! I like the cedar wall planking.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Awesome, Kent!!

You know I've got a bunch of old vintage chit to put in this trailer, doing a cast iron hanging rack, have a 40s Delta lantern I hope to convert to 12v led.

I'm thinking old fishing poles for curtain rods, wife said... ya you have a pile of those in the garage, with a smirk.

I have an old wall mount water can with spigot that will go over the washstand/sink I build, daughter said I needed a sink with drain and not just a wash pan, so I'm thinking on that.

Kent
What is the flooring?
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
That looks good. I have refurbished two Aristocrat trailers in the past, fun projects. Have an electrical panel control box out of a Terry trailer if you need one. Has the fuse panel, switches, battery gauge, etc.
Posted By: 673 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Interesting work. I recently built my own 8ft truck camper for much the same reason as you. I went with all plywood for the entire shell and waterproofed it with liquid rubber,no tin and no leaks. I am using tongue and groove material (pine) like you for the inside. Great idea!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What is the flooring?

Pine T&G, I thought about those laminate wood looking flooring but nothing looked rustic or natural enough and it's expensive. The pine was much more the look I wanted and cost less, it sounds right when I walk on it. I used 22 boards at 8 bucks a board, twice as much per sq ft as the cedar but the cedar is to soft for flooring and would have been checkerboarded.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
What is the flooring?

Pine T&G, I thought about those laminate wood looking flooring but nothing looked rustic or natural enough and it's expensive. The pine was much more the look I wanted and cost less, it sounds right when I walk on it. I used 22 boards at 8 bucks a board, twice as much per sq ft as the cedar but the cedar is to soft for flooring and would have been checkerboarded.

Kent

Good choice. Laminate generally fares poorly where it does not have constant HVAC.
looks good, enjoy it!
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
nice job
Originally Posted by kenster99
That looks good. I have refurbished two Aristocrat trailers in the past, fun projects. Have an electrical panel control box out of a Terry trailer if you need one. Has the fuse panel, switches, battery gauge, etc.

I've installed a panel that goes over where I'm making a wash stand and cabinet, it has a usb port, 12v plugin, on/off and voltage meter... the black square in the wall. I have a fuse box that will go under somewhere close to the wires coming out.

This is a 75 road ranger, I also have a 75 Terry the same size that has all the stuff inside and original. Guy on the local hunting site had it for sale, offered it to me for 800 bucks, he didn't know if the appliances worked, wife about killed me for buying it. All the appliances work, except the furnace pilot won't stay lit when I release the button. Frig works surprisingly, stove, oven, water pump... 800 bucks, what was I supposed to do say no? I used it last year on an elk hunt and for DARBY's deer hunt, him and Dennis slept in it while I slept outside.

Anyway that's another project needing only a little cosmetics and not this one.

Kent

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by krp
What is the flooring?

Kent

Good choice. Laminate generally fares poorly where it does not have constant HVAC.

And if the pine gets beat up some it'll just look more rustic and cool.

Kent
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Kent I would have thought you would get Dave to help you and put stamped concrete on the floor.
Originally Posted by 45_100
Kent I would have thought you would get Dave to help you and put stamped concrete on the floor.

Ha, reminds me, around 2000, Cheryl wanted new flooring in the kitchen before Christmas, we were hosting her family. She wanted stamped concrete, back then we were doing a bunch of stamped driveways and patios as it was all the rage. I told her it's hard to clean... no she wanted it. So that's what she got, she loved it.

A few years later she was sick of it, all the undulations were hard to keep clean.

So, I tore it up and installed tile.

They never listen.

Kent
The porch in our Ontario place had pine flooring, it was good, we laid birch over the pine to match the rest of the floors, and level the floors.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Love it Kent !!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Turned out great, and personally for me that would be the more right-sized trailer for hunting and camping.

Unfortunately I’m stuck with a 29 footer until I trade or sell. I would trade someone ‘even-Steven’ down to a 16,18,20ftr if I found the right deal.
[Linked Image]

A few things I will try and incorporate into the decor, not sure about the elk shed or converting the lamps to 12v but we'll see.

Trailer is in the mountains on the lot I have my 5th wheel, came home yesterday to kiss the wife and get more supplies to button up the insides. Hopefully I'll have it done after next weekend, at least usable, and can update. I plan on having it up at the camp event next month and get some real time feedback from those here attending.

Kent
Like that double bit axe, what about an old hammer double barrel?
Originally Posted by slumlord
Turned out great, and personally for me that would be the more right-sized trailer for hunting and camping.

Unfortunately I’m stuck with a 29 footer until I trade or sell. I would trade someone ‘even-Steven’ down to a 16,18,20ftr if I found the right deal.

Yep, but the wife won't give up her 5th wheel for a 'bunk house', she's always looking for a bigger one with more slides, soon we will probably be traveling the summers as I slow down working and I see the need for a nice trailer we can pull into RV parks and such.

But I don't need a huge trailer hunting, I sleep on a cot often but that camp takes up room in the truck bed. This camper can haul the outside stuff in the front open area and supply an extra sleeping area for whoever, whenever.

Kent

Like that double bit axe, what about an old hammer double barrel?

I'm sure I'll have a lever and six shooter hanging.

Kent
One more question, can I borrow it? laugh
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Love it Kent !!

Old school cool ='s forgotten craftsmanship.

Nothing more satisfying than doing it yourself.

Properly !

grin
Sure, probably others will use it more than me, thinking the grandkids and jr elk camp kids.

Kent
How thick were those wall planks? 3/4”

And do you think all of that added a whole lot more weight vs what you tore out done away with?
I went back an reread, answered my question.

Again, looks great.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Originally Posted by RIO7

Rio,

does it look like this?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

sorry for the crappy phone pic, the "home" was inside this round barn in Fall River Mills CA:

the inside of the wagon is still there too, hard to get good pics as they had a hog panel fence across the area to keep folks out:

Kent, that's one heck of a rebuild on that camp trailer. Good to see you're taking care of it!
Originally Posted by slumlord
How thick were those wall planks? 3/4”

And do you think all of that added a whole lot more weight vs what you tore out done away with?

They are cheap 6ft by 5 1/2inch by 1/2inch actual measured cedar fence slats, they weigh almost nothing for the thickness, they might weigh a pound apiece and I used less than 70. I had to cut the crown they put on them off, so they were about 5'10". Lowes had drier ones, I bought the first couple from HD and they were still wet from cutting but dried out in a few days, warped a little, Lowes were better, I paid about 2.50 each.

The pine was weighed more but only used 22 at 8 bucks each, still probably 50 lbs. It was actual 1/2 inch, probably listed as 3/4.

The ceiling I have yet to buy, I've decided on 1/4 pine grain plywood at 40 bucks a sheet and need a little over 3, so 4 and I'll have enough to frame a wash stand over the wheel well. Daughter has to have a sink so the grandkids can wash their did'jets.

Kent
I call white cedar, nature's Styrofoam. 12" boards will blow away in the wind.
I call white cedar, nature's Styrofoam. 12" boards will blow away in the wind.

Yet much stronger than the 1/8th inch wall board originally on it.

I'm guessing there was 400 lbs of appliances and cabinets, furnace, table, beds, wall board. I might put 150 lbs back in in wood and furniture.

Kent
[Linked Image]

Look at the mismash of framing on the wall, depended on what was up against it i guess. I had to cut the cedar all kinds of ways to make it fit.

[Linked Image]
The cedar is good insulation, the mix pattern gives character. I like it.
And mold,insect resistant. I stapled roofing paper all around also as the cedar joints aren't super tight, keep the insulation fibers out. All should help insulation.

Kent
No mice holes...

Kent
I'm just making this up as I go not following any established guidelines... likely the first time I drive it down a washboard road I'll open the door and it'll look like a splinter pile on the floor.

Kent
I don't see any nails, did you nail through the tongue?
2in finishing nails with a gun for the floor and 1 1/4 brads for the walls, I went through a couple thousand already.

Kent
I thought about taking a square cut nail and pounding some dimples for a rustic look and still may in the future.

Kent
We should have bought it sooner, a Hitachi angled finish nailer, and a Bostitch pancake compressor. Before that we drilled, and drove, and set thousands of number four finish nails.

That compressor is a Great alarm clock at three in the morning!
I wait and start the compressor at 8am, we are in a small cabin community where I can hear the live band on Saturday nights at the restaurant/bar down by the creek. Hate to disturb the quiet peaceful morning atmosphere for everyone else. Often have elk and coues in the yard.

Kent
From my doorway.

[Linked Image]
Nice, if you have no garden.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
You have a blueprint with dimensions in feet?
Originally Posted by ConradCA
You have a blueprint with dimensions in feet?

All in my head. This is an intuitive project.

Inside dimensions were 14 x 8 approx.

Kent
So the ceiling wood at Lowes I saw was oak not pine, went to HD and found thin pine for 16.50 a sheet... score.

Kent
We should have bought it sooner, a Hitachi angled finish nailer, and a Bostitch pancake compressor. Before that we drilled, and drove, and set thousands of number four finish nails.

That compressor is a Great alarm clock at three in the morning!

I had to laugh at this

That thing kicks on and scares the crap out of everyone including the dogs. Left ours on few days ago in our sunroom. Kicked on about 1am as I was finally dozing off.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Camp trailer project... - 06/30/20
Originally Posted by krp
So the ceiling wood at Lowes I saw was oak not pine, went to HD and found thin pine for 16.50 a sheet... score.

Kent

good deals!
I'll head back up early tomorrow morning, too hot, I don't like driving the truck up the hills in afternoon heat, plus the roads are still somewhat restricted from the fires, new one started up by Payson but they got it contained quickly.

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/04/20
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15020019[/img]

Ceiling in and 1/3 Oiled, getting close, putting furniture in tomorrow, then just have some small stuff, almost done.

I can't link the photos from my phone for some reason, just links the photo thread i made. Its a pain making a post from camp.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15020019

Ceiling in and 1/3 Oiled, getting close, putting furniture in tomorrow, then just have some small stuff, almost done.

I can't link the photos from my phone for some reason, just links the photo thread i made. Its a pain making a post from camp.

Kent

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/04/20
Than you gringo!

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/05/20
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15022663[/img]

Getting close, arranged a few furnishings, not everything is secured down but at least on place. Used fishing poles and ski poles for curtain rods, pipe for towel rack. Elk horns for hat and coat racks.

It's coming together.

Wasn't sure how the ceiling would turn out, but I really like how it blends with the floor and the cedar in between.

Kent
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/05/20
One thing I would like to know, Not that you did a beyond great job, but that far why not swap out the windows. Ya got me looking for a rebuild now. Yours looks great.
Windows work fine surprisingly, 4 screens need redone, I took the window out of the door, it functioned fine so I put it back in.

I'm trying to keep this vintage as much as possible.

Kent
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/05/20
Thanks I under stand now. If I go through one as hot as it is here when we start hunting good windows and lots of insulation as well as a small ac is almost a must have.
Looking good Kent. The vintage motif is coming along nicely.
You and Cheryl have a mobile cedar chest !!!!
Thumbs up, amigo !!!
Ha, Cheryl has the 5th wheel, she's all, oh that's nice what you did... and she's thinking... hell I'm not staying in that...

Kent
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Still dicking with it, table can move around for different uses.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/05/20
More coolio work there

Big Thumbs Up
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20

Well winding down, will probably always tinker with it but the major work is complete.

Electrical fuse box and panel, 12v for an inverter, TV also can plug in, usb ports for phone charging, volt meter.

Installed new vent.

When family camping the grandkids can watch dvds sitting on the cot.

Not sure yet how to cover the wheel wells so leaving them as is for now.

Turned out as good as I could do winging it.

Kent

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15027275/f[/img]
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
krp if thats as good as ya can do I think ya hit it way the hell out of the park.I would love to find about a 18 ft to do that with,and get rid of the old 28 ft driver I got now. Ya got skills it looks great.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Kent that turned out really well. Like what you did with it.
Originally Posted by leesway2
krp if thats as good as ya can do I think ya hit it way the hell out of the park.I would love to find about a 18 ft to do that with,and get rid of the old 28 ft driver I got now. Ya got skills it looks great.

This is a camp trailer and no bathroom, I have 18 inches under the cot to put a portapoty for the women and kids.

That said if I was to do another for family camping, I'd find one with a corner bathroom, 20 ft, and leave that in, water tank and holding tanks, then gut the rest...

Maybe next year...

Kent
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
I under stand, and thats what I want. We get a porta john at the hunting camp every year and any place else I go has a bath house/creeks or river camping. I still like it looks great.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by krp
Turned out as good as I could do winging it.

Kent

I'd say you handled it like a Boss Kent.

Damn fine job.
Posted By: fester Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Looks nice! Good job!
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Very nice Kent! Thanks for taking the time for the pictures and write up.
My original thought a few years ago... growing up my friends dad had an old trailer, probably 50s, about this size, 14ft ish. He had taken the beds and table out for room, left the kitchen, used a round tub to stand in and pour water over himself for a shower, a cot to sleep on.

Those old hands would make dutch oven biscuits, scratch buttermilk, gravy, venison, quail, rabbit stew, frog legs, fried fish.

They could camp and cook like it was everyday life.

And drink whiskey too.

Great times as a kid.

Anyway I wanted something small and easy to solo hunt out of, but holy crap those old trailers are a thing now, canned hams, boutiques, food trailers... big bucks for junk.

Saw some homemade sheepherder trailers built on flatbeds, they are cool.

Then this trailer was 800 bucks so I grabbed it... and then winged it.

Life comes full circle, what you experienced in youth you imitate in age.

Kent
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Heck Kent,

we're just lucky and glad you're sharing the project with us!
I was trying to think of the other word people use who remodel these old trailers...

Glam, I guess short for glamorous.

A 'glam' trailer is big bucks dont you know. Rip everything out, throw up some cheap curtains, paint the walls with flowers and cheap flooring, paint the outside aqua.

This trailer is anti'glam...

Kent
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
I live in an anti-glam world Kent, so I understand your sentiment.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
cool options for heat...

marine stoves
Those are really cool. Have thought about a stove in true sheepherder fashion. Maybe in the future.

Here in Arizona it wouldn't be used much. After retirement I plan to travel up to the northern states, maybe Canada, Alaska, spring to fall, bumping around, it may be practical then.

Kent
One of the good things about this trailer is it's modular, I can move the cot around and table, it's actually spacious. The only thing permanent is the hutch corner.

Kent
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Very nice krp. You are a talented guy. Thanks for showing us the pics.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Having spent a good amount of time in a real shepherders wagon working,you are doing a very good job...

Thumbs up...
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/07/20
Originally Posted by krp
One of the good things about this trailer is it's modular, I can move the cot around and table, it's actually spacious. The only thing permanent is the hutch corner.

Kent

I agree that is probably the best thing about doing it this way and not having things built in. You can move stuff around or even put it outside depending on the weather. Remember the table Kaywoodie puts out front of his tent when he makes camp. Usually has a half full bottle of Buffalo Trace or some other whiskey with several glasses.
Dude, that's fantastic! excellent work!
Originally Posted by 45_100
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I agree that is probably the best thing about doing it this way and not having things built in. You can move stuff around or even put it outside depending on the weather. Remember the table Kaywoodie puts out front of his tent when he makes camp. Usually has a half full bottle of Buffalo Trace or some other whiskey with several glasses.

Yep and you know I make my kitchen outside even with the fifth wheel.

Kent
I dunno what straightened out the hook on that leg hold, but that's impressive.

Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

A few things I will try and incorporate into the decor, not sure about the elk shed or converting the lamps to 12v but we'll see.

Trailer is in the mountains on the lot I have my 5th wheel, came home yesterday to kiss the wife and get more supplies to button up the insides. Hopefully I'll have it done after next weekend, at least usable, and can update. I plan on having it up at the camp event next month and get some real time feedback from those here attending.

Kent

Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/08/20
I found that trap set out hunting, it had a coyote in it, the tote had pulled it free and who knows how far it went. It's leg was almost wore trough, had gangrene, it just laid down, looked at me with pleading eyes, I walked up and put it down with a 22, it gave a huge sigh of relief and died.

Kent
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/08/20
It turned out beautifully Kent !

Thank you for taking us along for the journey.
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/08/20
You do awesome work!!! Some of my most memorable hunts have been out of a sheepherder's wagon, or as we call them, a sheep camp. I'd much rather hunt out of something like you built than the 24' monster my wife had to have.....Even at 63 yrs. old, I prefer hunting out of my wall tent than that big 24' trailer.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/08/20
Awesome job-- well done
Posted By: Anjin Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/08/20
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Looking awfully good, Kent. As I recall you had miss Armijo Springs in 2018, the last time I was there with the family and the big tent.

I had brought it all in my (new-to-me) 20-year old Featherlite cargo trailer which rode like a dream, but had a roof vent that leaked like a sieve. I found a place in Albuquerque that repaired the vent and I installed a roll of diamond patterned rubber garage flooring, that I bought on sale from an outfit in AZ. That makes it easy to mop out and while it is still bare bones and uninsulated, it suits our needs. Like you, we cook outside and I plan to add a side canopy like the one Blue has had on his.

Norm
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/09/20
I remember your big tent camp, I missed one but a year or 2 earlier.

Also I remember a big teepee Mark Shuberts son and grandkids used.

Kent
Posted By: drover Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/09/20
It is a great looking project. But, (yes, there is always one of those isn't there?) I'll bet the first thing to go will the antlers hanging on the wall. You will bump your head on them a few times and then they will be down, it is a great look but after your head on them a few times you will see what I mean.

drover
I've got them pretty tucked in around the shelf but you never know.

Kent
Maiden voyage, laying back after checking out the elk herds, there were plenty.

Dang phone won't hardly download pictures on the image gallery and won't copy address to post... here's the couple I could download.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15033755[/img]

Kent
Good stuff.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/09/20
[Linked Image]

I approve this message !

grin
Posted By: Anjin Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I'll have to check out Lowes to see what they have. I have lots of pine in the garage, but I want to install a heavier hardwood door frame, to beef up the main entrance to our new/old log cabin. It was originally built 75 years ago, as a hunting lodge in the eastern foothills of the Sandia Mountains by a prominent Albuquerque doctor.

Given the crime rate flowing out of ABQ today, we're starting to think about actually locking the doors at night!

Norm
Ceiling wood I got at HD, homedepot, 3 ply, smooth sides and one had the knots and some grain that I wanted.

As a kid we never locked doors, don't even know if there were keys, even on vacation.

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/10/20
[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/14/20
If you build it they will come...

Yesterday I looked up from eating breakfast and there was this dog in camp, then I heard the bells and then the sheep, couple thousand, 3 dogs came in camp, the sheepherder gave me the thumbs up on my 'sheepherder' trailer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/14/20
Kent, I think I can foresee mutton stew in the forecast !!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/14/20
It's hard to find those gas Coleman stoves.
It's hard to find those gas Coleman stoves.

I have about 6 of them, all 3 sizes... and that's after selling about 6 on the local hunting site when my wife complained about garage space.

And lanterns and coffee pots and cast iron and knives and 50s toasters, fryers... and... well you know.

Kent
I use unleaded gas in mine, phooey on that high priced Coleman fuel.
The local grocery about a year ago clearanced all the coleman white gas off their shelves, 5.99 a gallon tin, I bought all they had in two stores, about six gallons. It's like 12 bucks at walmart.

Unleaded fuel gums up those old coleman's.

Kent
I've blown mine out with compressed air. Not when it was lit. laugh
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/14/20
That's a very nice piece of work.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/14/20
Holy sheep chit batman!!!!!!!!
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/15/20
These herds move around a big area up here all summer, usually see them while archery hunting, then they head back down for the winter.

Kent
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/15/20
I used to run into the sheep while archery hunting in Utah's Uinta Mountains also. Land maggots we called them.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/15/20
The ethanol is what really screws Coleman s. They say not use Colorado gasoline in the new ones for unleaded. Used to be avoid the lead.
I have 2 3 burner stoves, 3 2 burners, 1 1 burner, 1 single mantle, 1 kerosene. Plus some propane stuff. There is a lot for sale this year.
Posted By: krp Re: Camp trailer project... - 07/15/20
I went and counted, I still have 11 of the suitcase coleman stoves, used to have 3 three burners, down to 1. Don't tell the wife. Not all have tanks, I have some propane conversion tubes, and really they work best off propane, sometimes I just want the smell of white gas and the hiss.

Kent
© 24hourcampfire