Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Nice.

It will smell good too.

I used some cedar from a local mill for a small project.
It worked well.

I was afraid it would be overwhelming but it hasn't at all, it's white cedar so not as aromatic, yet nice.

Kent

Really neat project and nice work. Are you going to upgrade the tires/springs to get a little more clearance for rougher roads?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RIO7

Kent, I have a original sheep camp trailer, From the the Theos, sheep outfit in Colorado, They are called a HOME, by the herder's.

Mine is set up to be pulled by a team of horses, but we can pull it with a pickup if you go slow, it is all as it was built over 90 yrs ago, all I've replaced is the canvas top and a couple of bows. still has small wood stove, table and bunks, and oil lamps that used rendered sheep fat. It's at my place in Colorado, my grand kids love camping in it down by the lake.

The Theos, brother's ran over 100,000 sheep in N.W. Colo. when I was a boy. Rio7

Love the pictures of the old wagons, some were canvas and others tin. I thought about a small wood stove but here in az it wouldn't be used enough and take up space.

You've lived an interesting life my friend that's for sure.

Kent

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by krp
Nice.

It will smell good too.

It worked well.

I was afraid it would be overwhelming but it hasn't at all, it's white cedar so not as aromatic, yet nice.

Kent

Really neat project and nice work. Are you going to upgrade the tires/springs to get a little more clearance for rougher roads?

The friend that I helped revamp his put the springs over the axle and added 10 ply tires. It would pretty much follow that old chevy blazer that he had.

One of his sons still has both.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by krp
Nice.

It will smell good too.

It worked well.

Kent

The axles and springs have already been flipped, I bought 2 new tires and rims from Tractor supply, on sale if you bought 2 for 200 bucks.

I got the trailer for 800, tires 200, wood at about 500, vent 40, table and hutch 100... danish oil, roof coating, fuse box, elec outlet, and misc has been about 300. I'll probably have just over 2000 in it when it's done.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Very nice project, looking good. My wife and I refurbished three vintage trailers. Two 57s and a 58. I know what you are going through.

A few thoughts:

If you have a storage area access door, which I didn't see on the door side, you can prop up a small window AC unit on the outside and send the cool air through that storage area door opening to cool trailer without altering it.

If you have to apply some sort of roof coating my recommendation is Henry's 100% silicone roof coating which is an amazing product with a lifetime guarantee. Don't know about lifetime BUT it blows all the other roof coatings away.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-H...Coating-4-75-Gallon-HE887HS018/205049553

If you want an inexpensive way to heat up the trailer and also have light, get a propane light system, which many older trailers came with. They use the mesh coleman globes. We stayed around the Yellowstone area and that tiny light would warm things up nicely. Here is an example:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/101...50byp6gIVfz6tBh1x7QvmEAQYAyABEgJSsvD_BwE

Hope you get it set up to fit your needs. Keep posting.

I did get 5 gallons of Henry's but the 100 buck stuff, figuring to do the 5th wheel and small trailers. I may rethink it and get the silicon one.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kent what do you plan to cover the ceiling with?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terrific project and execution. Love the cedar picket walls. I have an idea to use them for the interior walls of a home in the woods instead of drywall.

What oil finish did you use?

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool

Camp is where you make it.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by jfruser
Terrific project and execution. Love the cedar picket walls. I have an idea to use them for the interior walls of a home in the woods instead of drywall.

What oil finish did you use?

Danish oil, natural, really makes it pop. the cedar slats are rough so it uses a bunch more oil than the floor. The floor pine was smooth so the oil slid around easy, used one pint, will use about 5 pints for the walls. If you can find a gallon would be best for bigger projects.

I used danish oil with walnut for the floor not the natural, to give it color and contrast.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's turning out very well, great project! I've had a few old ones over the years...wish I would have kept one of the Scotty's.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kingston
Kent what do you plan to cover the ceiling with?

I'm thinking thin pine grain plywood and use the walnut danish oil like the floor, found it at Lowes for 40 bucks a sheet. These trailers have haphazard 'framing' based on where the cabinets were and appliances, no systematic spacing, the ceiling framing is running the wrong way for T&G, I don't want to rebuild the whole thing, also I want to keep it as thin as possible and retain as much height as possible.

Kent

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Awesome, Kent!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Very Nice! I like the cedar wall planking.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Awesome, Kent!!

You know I've got a bunch of old vintage chit to put in this trailer, doing a cast iron hanging rack, have a 40s Delta lantern I hope to convert to 12v led.

I'm thinking old fishing poles for curtain rods, wife said... ya you have a pile of those in the garage, with a smirk.

I have an old wall mount water can with spigot that will go over the washstand/sink I build, daughter said I needed a sink with drain and not just a wash pan, so I'm thinking on that.

Kent

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What is the flooring?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That looks good. I have refurbished two Aristocrat trailers in the past, fun projects. Have an electrical panel control box out of a Terry trailer if you need one. Has the fuse panel, switches, battery gauge, etc.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting work. I recently built my own 8ft truck camper for much the same reason as you. I went with all plywood for the entire shell and waterproofed it with liquid rubber,no tin and no leaks. I am using tongue and groove material (pine) like you for the inside. Great idea!

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What is the flooring?

Pine T&G, I thought about those laminate wood looking flooring but nothing looked rustic or natural enough and it's expensive. The pine was much more the look I wanted and cost less, it sounds right when I walk on it. I used 22 boards at 8 bucks a board, twice as much per sq ft as the cedar but the cedar is to soft for flooring and would have been checkerboarded.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What is the flooring?

Pine T&G, I thought about those laminate wood looking flooring but nothing looked rustic or natural enough and it's expensive. The pine was much more the look I wanted and cost less, it sounds right when I walk on it. I used 22 boards at 8 bucks a board, twice as much per sq ft as the cedar but the cedar is to soft for flooring and would have been checkerboarded.

Kent

Good choice. Laminate generally fares poorly where it does not have constant HVAC.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
looks good, enjoy it!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.