Home
Looking for some good quality 100% button down long sleeve work shirts.

Would wear these while working on our asphalt equipment to keep my flo yellow colored shirts from being ruined all of the time.

Wanting good heavy material in button down long sleeve configurations, prefer dark color as the emulsion oil we work around all of the time stains everything it touches.

What are you mechanics or guys that have to wear long sleeves wearing and having good luck with?
If it’s not very often...

I’d visit the used uniform man on some the road.

Buy some used shirts.

Use and chunk.

That stuff prolly rough on a washing machine.
Key, or other 100% cotton chambray. Our local farm store has them, 15, to 20$
Oops, these twill shirts may not be the all cotton desired...

Dickies and Craftsman. They were my standard for years in the Pulp mill

For work clothes, I really dig this place. The best outlet for Carhart seconds including the only USA made Carhart pant, 01.
https://dungarees.com/
Tractor Supply and Walmart have dark chambray or denim shirts relatively inexpensive.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Tractor Supply and Walmart have dark chambray or denim shirts relatively inexpensive.

I wear long sleeve cotton button down workshirts year round, just about every day. Been buying "Blue Mountain" brand shirts from Tractor Supply. They been working good for me!
In hot weather, they get the most comfortable the day before the back splits open! laugh
I got me a couple from the used uniform thrift here in town.

I can be Emory or Elrod, depending which shirt I wear to town.
Steep and Cheap can be the ticket... once or twice in a blue moon.
Try this:
www.wearguard.com
Surplus utility coveralls?
Thrift stores, I wear snap button long sleeve western shirts all year, in the AZ heat I wear the thinnest ones, they keep the sun off and they are cooler than a T shirt. Lots of heavy ones for sale with buttons.

Kent
I'm interested in this topic as well. I like the Filson work shirts I have - one "Shelter Cloth," which is heavy and tough and one a bit lighter weight, but I don't think they're cut long enough & they're too expensive. The L.L. Bean canvas shirts I used to like and wear decades ago are now Chiner-made crap.

I don't care for polyester or spandex. 100% cotton (or wool) only - depending on the season - for me.

My brother has one of the Carhartt button down shirts, which he likes, but I am unsure of the model and the country of origin. I may try one of the Carhartts and see how I like 'em..

Not sure if this is the one he has:
Carhartt Midweight

Whatever I get needs to have flap pockets.

Maybe Mark will be along. He wears Wrangler snap denim shirts that look like a pretty danged good work shirt. He told me once, but I cannot remember where he gets them for a good price - the only Wrangler denim shirts I've been able to find have been ridiculously priced.

I also look on flea-bay for these types of shirts - big savings for slightly used.
I've generally had excellent luck buying used, like new clothing on eBay. People get them as gifts, or they don't fit them well, or they outgrow or just never get attached to them because of the color or whatever.
I need two front pockets on most all my shirts.
For years I used the Big Bill cotton long sleeve work shirt. It had two button down pockets which I like. But over time, they shortened the pockets by 3/4" so they weren't as useful. I now use a Carhartt long sleeve cotton work shirt. (104368 CBL made in India). They aren't cheap, but they last well. About three times a year a local farm store (Coastal Farm) has a 25% off one item coupon. I use those and discounted gift cards to buy my work shirts.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I'm interested in this topic as well. I like the Filson work shirts I have - one "Shelter Cloth," which is heavy and tough and one a bit lighter weight, but I don't think they're cut long enough & they're too expensive. The L.L. Bean canvas shirts I used to like and wear decades ago are now Chiner-made crap.

I don't care for polyester or spandex. 100% cotton (or wool) only - depending on the season - for me.

My brother has one of the Carhartt button down shirts, which he likes, but I am unsure of the model and the country of origin. I may try one of the Carhartts and see how I like 'em..

Carhartt Midweight

Maybe Mark will be along. He wears Wrangler snap denim shirts that look like a pretty danged good work shirt. He told me once, but I cannot remember where he gets them for a good price - the only Wrangler denim shirts I've been able to find have been ridiculously priced.

I also look on flea-bay for these types of shirts - big savings for slightly used.

The wrangler snap denim shirts Mark wears you can get at Tractor supply for about 25 to 30 bucks, I picked some up for 20 when they had a sale a few years ago, heavy or light. Back in the early 70s when I worked on a ranch, summers during high school, They'd buy me 3 denim wrangler shirts and 3 jeans, plus 5 bucks a day and room and board. I'd buy a gun with my money at the end of the summer, a wingmaster and a savage 99.

Funny what a denim shirt will remind you of.

Kent
Originally Posted by logger
I now use a Carhartt long sleeve cotton work shirt. (104368 CBL made in India). They aren't cheap, but they last well.

Yep. Definitely not cheap. Carhartt has definitely raised their prices substantially over the years. I remember when I purchased my first blanket-lined Carhartt jacket - I think it was 20-$25.00.
Originally Posted by krp
The wrangler snap denim shirts Mark wears you can get at Tractor supply for about 25 to 30 bucks Kent

Thanks Kent. I'll check out the local Tractor Supply.
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Carhartt Midweight

We used order them from an outfit called Fort Dodge, but they quit carrying sized shirts (went to Sm, Med, Lg, etc)
"The Warden" ordered my last batch, or two, from Amazon - 17 1/2 X 38s are a bit hard to find! smile smile smile
I wear the Wrangler chambray until real cold weather sets in, then I wear a true denim shirt.
I'm likely to fire up a welder on a moment's notice - and once set myself on fire wearing a nylon shirt!
DON'T DO THAT !!!!!!
Thanks Mark. Yep, nylon can be downright dangerous. I hope it didn't melt on you - I imagine it would be pretty danged painful to have melted plastic all over you.
The tails in the Wranglers are about 8” too short to stay tucked in for me if I’m doing anything besides standing like a statue.
Try the “firehose” shirts/jacs? They are a cotton canvas, and do not stain easily from gas/oil/grease. Nor do they tend to easily catch fire/melt from welding/grinding sparks, water replant too.
Hickory shirt. I've tried all the brands but the best is Prison Blues. I wear one every single work day

http://www.prisonblues.net/hickory-work-shirts
If your referring to the fire hose garments offered by Duluth Trading, their stuff is pretty decent and the fire hose is a helluva lot softer than I would have thought. Be aware, though, that their sizing is wonky. In my experience, their shirts run a size larger and their trouser run a least a size or two smaller. Most of their stuff is not made in USA either, but I believe they have a few items that are US made.
The Amish ladies make really nice shirts. I wonder if they do custom orders. No internet though, one would need to car pool!
Originally Posted by slumlord
I got me a couple from the used uniform thrift here in town.

I can be Emory or Elrod, depending which shirt I wear to town.

Bet you don't see any with Jarquavious on them.
https://www.amazon.com/Ariat-REBAR-...ebar+shirt&qid=1593600954&sr=8-9
Wrangler Bluejean shirts is what I wear when welding. I wear them all the time in the winter.
Who makes a 100% cotton shirt that the collar doesn't fray to pieces on? The rest of the shirt is fine, but can't be worn in public due to the collar being shot. I must be a roughneck.
© 24hourcampfire