Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looking for some good quality 100% button down long sleeve work shirts.

Would wear these while working on our asphalt equipment to keep my flo yellow colored shirts from being ruined all of the time.

Wanting good heavy material in button down long sleeve configurations, prefer dark color as the emulsion oil we work around all of the time stains everything it touches.

What are you mechanics or guys that have to wear long sleeves wearing and having good luck with?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it’s not very often...

I’d visit the used uniform man on some the road.

Buy some used shirts.

Use and chunk.

That stuff prolly rough on a washing machine.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Key, or other 100% cotton chambray. Our local farm store has them, 15, to 20$

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Oops, these twill shirts may not be the all cotton desired...

Dickies and Craftsman. They were my standard for years in the Pulp mill

For work clothes, I really dig this place. The best outlet for Carhart seconds including the only USA made Carhart pant, 01.
https://dungarees.com/

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 06/30/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Tractor Supply and Walmart have dark chambray or denim shirts relatively inexpensive.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Tractor Supply and Walmart have dark chambray or denim shirts relatively inexpensive.

I wear long sleeve cotton button down workshirts year round, just about every day. Been buying "Blue Mountain" brand shirts from Tractor Supply. They been working good for me!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
In hot weather, they get the most comfortable the day before the back splits open! laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got me a couple from the used uniform thrift here in town.

I can be Emory or Elrod, depending which shirt I wear to town.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Steep and Cheap can be the ticket... once or twice in a blue moon.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surplus utility coveralls?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Thrift stores, I wear snap button long sleeve western shirts all year, in the AZ heat I wear the thinnest ones, they keep the sun off and they are cooler than a T shirt. Lots of heavy ones for sale with buttons.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm interested in this topic as well. I like the Filson work shirts I have - one "Shelter Cloth," which is heavy and tough and one a bit lighter weight, but I don't think they're cut long enough & they're too expensive. The L.L. Bean canvas shirts I used to like and wear decades ago are now Chiner-made crap.

I don't care for polyester or spandex. 100% cotton (or wool) only - depending on the season - for me.

My brother has one of the Carhartt button down shirts, which he likes, but I am unsure of the model and the country of origin. I may try one of the Carhartts and see how I like 'em..

Not sure if this is the one he has:
Carhartt Midweight

Whatever I get needs to have flap pockets.

Maybe Mark will be along. He wears Wrangler snap denim shirts that look like a pretty danged good work shirt. He told me once, but I cannot remember where he gets them for a good price - the only Wrangler denim shirts I've been able to find have been ridiculously priced.

I also look on flea-bay for these types of shirts - big savings for slightly used.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've generally had excellent luck buying used, like new clothing on eBay. People get them as gifts, or they don't fit them well, or they outgrow or just never get attached to them because of the color or whatever.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I need two front pockets on most all my shirts.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For years I used the Big Bill cotton long sleeve work shirt. It had two button down pockets which I like. But over time, they shortened the pockets by 3/4" so they weren't as useful. I now use a Carhartt long sleeve cotton work shirt. (104368 CBL made in India). They aren't cheap, but they last well. About three times a year a local farm store (Coastal Farm) has a 25% off one item coupon. I use those and discounted gift cards to buy my work shirts.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I'm interested in this topic as well. I like the Filson work shirts I have - one "Shelter Cloth," which is heavy and tough and one a bit lighter weight, but I don't think they're cut long enough & they're too expensive. The L.L. Bean canvas shirts I used to like and wear decades ago are now Chiner-made crap.

I don't care for polyester or spandex. 100% cotton (or wool) only - depending on the season - for me.

My brother has one of the Carhartt button down shirts, which he likes, but I am unsure of the model and the country of origin. I may try one of the Carhartts and see how I like 'em..

Carhartt Midweight

Maybe Mark will be along. He wears Wrangler snap denim shirts that look like a pretty danged good work shirt. He told me once, but I cannot remember where he gets them for a good price - the only Wrangler denim shirts I've been able to find have been ridiculously priced.

I also look on flea-bay for these types of shirts - big savings for slightly used.

The wrangler snap denim shirts Mark wears you can get at Tractor supply for about 25 to 30 bucks, I picked some up for 20 when they had a sale a few years ago, heavy or light. Back in the early 70s when I worked on a ranch, summers during high school, They'd buy me 3 denim wrangler shirts and 3 jeans, plus 5 bucks a day and room and board. I'd buy a gun with my money at the end of the summer, a wingmaster and a savage 99.

Funny what a denim shirt will remind you of.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logger
I now use a Carhartt long sleeve cotton work shirt. (104368 CBL made in India). They aren't cheap, but they last well.

Yep. Definitely not cheap. Carhartt has definitely raised their prices substantially over the years. I remember when I purchased my first blanket-lined Carhartt jacket - I think it was 20-$25.00.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/30/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
The wrangler snap denim shirts Mark wears you can get at Tractor supply for about 25 to 30 bucks Kent

Thanks Kent. I'll check out the local Tractor Supply.

- Del Gue
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Carhartt Midweight

We used order them from an outfit called Fort Dodge, but they quit carrying sized shirts (went to Sm, Med, Lg, etc)
"The Warden" ordered my last batch, or two, from Amazon - 17 1/2 X 38s are a bit hard to find! smile smile smile
I wear the Wrangler chambray until real cold weather sets in, then I wear a true denim shirt.
I'm likely to fire up a welder on a moment's notice - and once set myself on fire wearing a nylon shirt!
DON'T DO THAT !!!!!!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.