Home
If you were alive then the loud sound you herd was our plan lifting off at Cam Ron Bay.
Thank you.
Congratulations, that was a good feeling, wasn't it?
Not so much, after arrival, running the gauntlet of hysterical hippies screaming hate as you left the gate at Travis AFB though.
Funny, 30+ years ago I worked for NCOs that had spent time there who were nearing the end of their careers.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/01/20
Welcome home.
Thanks. Hatched just before that in May...
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
If you were alive then the loud sound you herd was our plan lifting off at Cam Ron Bay.

Cam Ranh was one of the more benevolent places to loiter over that way. Still, the difference was splitting hairs. Welcome home!
I was in basic training in 1981 and mist of my drill instructors were Vietnam Nam solders.
Some had horrific battles they had survived and some with terrible wounds they received.
One wss at hamburger hill and related about the back and forth battle. Hit with grenade shrapnel twice and 3 bullet sounds and finally bayoneted by the enemy. Barely survived. He was tough as John Wayne toilet paper.
Welcome back.

Stay awhile.
I left from Cam Rahn in June of '69.

A happy time for a few hours until arriving back in the US, hippy college pukes in SF airport running around spitting on us, screaming "baby killers", etc.
Job well done, Welcome home.
Thank you for honoring your country and family with your service. I try to live my life worthy of our veterans service and sacrifice.
I was there all of '71. Arrived at Cam Rahn, but left from Saigon because Cam Rahn was being shut down by then. The flight in was dead silent all the way - half from apprehension and half from the agony of 16 hours in an overstuffed cabin and tiny seats. The ride out was silent - until gear up, and then the cheers erupted. The cabin crew said it happened that way EVERY time. Funny, the seats were not so bad this direction. I am not the least bit surprised.

Ditto to the lice-ridden, stinking hippie reception. One little [bleep] threw what smelled like a turd at me. I told him that I had just spent a year killing little [bleep] - and one more wouldn't bother me at all.
Thank you Sir for your service.
Many thanks to all who have or are serving!
One of the happiest days of my life!
Thank you.
Thank you all that have served . Your pain is what made us safe.....
Posted By: SKane Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
Thank you all that have served . Your pain is what made us safe.....

⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧
ThanK you and welcome home.
Some of us who were on active duty in Commiefornia would spend our weekends in the Haight-Ashbury district wearing civilian clothes and trying to blend in with that crew of scumbags. A few guys even wore wigs to hide their GI haircut. When we found one with an American flag sewn to the butt of his pants so he could sit on it, we repossessed it, pants and all. Most of them would offer us a roll in the hay with their skanky girlfriend if we would just quit pounding on him. Nobody I knew was that desperate to get laid!
Jerry
in the Corp. in 66 Nam 66 stayed till 70 got the million dollar wound in 70 went home to the round eyed women on the freedom bird. Spent 5 months in Balboa healing when was able to put on greens and I was there salad went to town. Yes to get a women seen a fine blond she walked up to me spit on me called me names So I asked her does this mean I am not going to get a BJ. Only if she knew what was going on in my mind.
It was hard to accept that we was not wanted at all period but most of us manned up made a life raised kids. Still have the nightmares and sweats the face of the first man I seen go down thru the scope still visits me the shocked look he got knowing he is not going home. I handle those tough times telling myself it was a job I signed up for and was paid to do works sometimes.
But was glad I made it home
Got out of DaNang in March of 1970. Did not worry for most of the duration. As time got short though, welfare concerns began to emerge and caution surfaced. Not been back, but a now neighbor came into a few $$$ and went back this past winter to tour his old haunts. Said it was a great trip. Lots of structure still about, but near all repurposed.
Originally Posted by johnt189
in the Corp. in 66 Nam 66 stayed till 70 got the million dollar wound in 70 went home to the round eyed women on the freedom bird. Spent 5 months in Balboa healing when was able to put on greens and I was there salad went to town. Yes to get a women seen a fine blond she walked up to me spit on me called me names So I asked her does this mean I am not going to get a BJ. Only if she knew what was going on in my mind.
It was hard to accept that we was not wanted at all period but most of us manned up made a life raised kids. Still have the nightmares and sweats the face of the first man I seen go down thru the scope still visits me the shocked look he got knowing he is not going home. I handle those tough times telling myself it was a job I signed up for and was paid to do works sometimes.

GOD bless you and to hell with lieberals.

Many Americans felt guilt around Vets, ashamed they had left them out to die without the support our men needed and deserved in war.

Viet vets reminded many civilians of their own shortcomings.

Glad you finally made it home.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Some of us who were on active duty in Commiefornia would spend our weekends in the Haight-Ashbury district wearing civilian clothes and trying to blend in with that crew of scumbags. A few guys even wore wigs to hide their GI haircut. When we found one with an American flag sewn to the butt of his pants so he could sit on it, we repossessed it, pants and all. Most of them would offer us a roll in the hay with their skanky girlfriend if we would just quit pounding on him. Nobody I knew was that desperate to get laid!
Jerry

GOD bless you.
PTL for those of you who made it home.

May GOD be with those who didnt.
Thanks to all that served there! USN at that time.
Flew home out of Da Nang , 13 April 1971.

Semper Fi
Glad you made it back...much thanks !
The deep state NWO cabals military industrial complex needed money and traded Americans for it.

LBJs wifes family owned Brown and Root, Bell Heli and Sea Container. Bush senior was CIA and in on it too.

Our Fire liebs still support the NWO 1%ers like the Clinton's, Zero, Bushs', Rothschilds and Rockefellers, enthralled by the Utopian carrot dangling in front of them.

"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws." Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812), founder of the House of Rothschild.

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Some even believe we (the Rockefeller family) are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.

David Rockefeller
It will be 51 years next month for me. I was waiting in the terminal the night before I left Cam Rahn Bay and Charlie sent rockets to the flight line to send me off. He damaged one of the freedom birds but not mine.
Thank you and all that served. I am glad you made it home. I was 10 years old at the time and did not realize what it was all about.
gahuntertom, Thank you for your service, and glad you made it back.

Edited to add: All who served.
Thank you to all who served....but especially "over there".

Welcome home.

God Bless All Vets.
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Thank you for honoring your country and family with your service. I try to live my life worthy of our veterans service and sacrifice.

This.

Thank you for your service.
Thank you for your Service.
Thank you.

And welcome home...
My Dad's DEROS day is 3 Jul 1969. Was a FAC detachment commander at Vinh Long, O-1s.
We celebrated last year, the Collings Foundation had a T51, so it was Dad in the Spad Day. I pulled some strings and got a Harvard for a photo plane, got the shot, so it was pretty much a golden anniversary for sure. But it's hard to believe that just yesterday is now over a half-century.
Am thankful for all you Nam Vets. I pray the remainder of your years are peaceful and in the Lord's care. I would not have been good at my job at 2/75 were it not for the training and leadership I received by you studs! Hang tough all you tough bastards!
Posted By: WVGuy Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/01/20
Thank you all for your service. I was blessed. My lottery number was too high to be drafted.

My Dad was an Air Force Air Traffic Controller in Cam Rahn Bay from 6/69-6/70. He may have worked your flight out. Have seen lot's of pictures from the area around that base. Actually looked like a fairly nice place, relativley speaking of course.
Originally Posted by WVGuy
Thank you all for your service. I was blessed. My lottery number was too high to be drafted.

lucky dog
Posted By: WAM Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by wbyfan1

My Dad was an Air Force Air Traffic Controller in Cam Rahn Bay from 6/69-6/70. He may have worked your flight out. Have seen lot's of pictures from the area around that base. Actually looked like a fairly nice place, relativley speaking of course.

It still smelled like burning schit and diesel fuel....

Things which we who haven’t been can scarcely imagine. My cousin was likewise in the Marines over there, and likewise used a scope in combat. He’s retired and closing in on being a great- grandfather now, but he told me he can still see the faces from back then.
Thanks , glad you made it home .
Posted By: WAM Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/02/20
I vaguely remember my Freedom Bird flight home other than it was on Pan Am to Seatac and they bused us to Fort Lewis. I still remember how good that steak tasted after being in the CRB hospital just before I left. The only anti-war bullschit I recall was late the next day in O'Hare Airport having a drink with a fellow boonie rat that I met on the plane and some doofus walked up to us at the bar and said, How many did you kill?" my pard turned to him and said, " That depends". The moron said, " Depends on what?" He replied, "Depends on if you count pregnant gooks as 1 or two" Bozo was speechless and unassed the area. LOL! I realize now that referring to those ladies as gooks was very insensitive of us....
Glad you came back and Thank You for serving.

Vietnam is the main reason LBJ is the second worst president in US history. He sent 500,000 men to fight and die in Vietnam while preventing them from even attempting to win. The only point of fighting in Vietnam was to make LBJ look tough.

I was too young to be drafted. The draft ended the same year I turned 18.
got the million dollar wound

It was a bullet, wasn't it? That jumped up and bit ya? Was yours directly in the butt-ocks, too? Did you ever see a nickel of that money?
Posted By: g5m Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/02/20

I'm glad you made it back.

I was just putting on a uniform then.
Welcome home....😎
Next March will be 50 yrs since we steamed out of the Gulf of Tonkin. Time flies
Mustered out at Ft. Lewis, Washington on July 24, 1969. Went through Cam Ranh Bay both going and coming back. miles
THANK YOU...GOD bless !!!
Thank you for your service and welcome home!

Thank you for your service.
Thanks for your service. AS I was an only son they would not give me a deferrment. Wanted to be a frogman later but the Navy recruiter didn't give me a chance in hell of going to training. He wanted electronics guys in '76. I said forget it. Didn't know they would be called SEALs. I had a math instructor who did beach surveys on Normandy before D Day. And had another friend who was a frogman/UDT but didn't relate where he had worked during WWII. They were some awesome guys. Didn't go around puffed up and no brag about what they did. I did pry small details from my math teacher, football coach, and mentor Ray Coldren. God Bless all the vets. I'm glad to speak other than Japanese, Russian, Chinese..... Be Well Rustyzipper.
Thanks and God bless you sir.
I’m glad you made it home. Thank you for your service and thank all of you for your service on this upcoming Independence Day.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My high school friends Phil, Ronnie, and David in the Marines in Quang Tri, Vietnam, 1968.
These guys were one year ahead of me. They joined the Marines in late 1967.
Thanks brother
Posted By: ribka Re: 51 years ago I left Viet Nam - 07/02/20

thanks for your generation's service.
It is shameful how returning vets were treated.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

It was a bullet, wasn't it? That jumped up and bit ya? Was yours directly in the butt-ocks, too? Did you ever see a nickel of that money?

going to let that slide that crack about the buttocks since it was pointed toward a time of katy bar the door down. But will say this I do not remember a thing till a week later in Balboa then was told was lucky give or take had to rebuild my left leg and large and a few other places.
have a idea what you meant so will leave it at that
And no not a penny
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Things which we who haven’t been can scarcely imagine. My cousin was likewise in the Marines over there, and likewise used a scope in combat. He’s retired and closing in on being a great- grandfather now, but he told me he can still see the faces from back then.

when you see your cousin again tell him Sempe Fi
Glad you made it back ,welcome home !

You got me by one my 50 was this past May 5th..

Khe Sanh
Really..There were some really bad battles there,just not yours...My step brother survived Khe Sanh..So many battles over there that were devastating..I lost some good buddy's there..The year of the draft and they were drafting doctors and garbage drivers who looked at each other as equals...
Originally Posted by huntsman22

going to let that slide that crack about the buttocks since it was pointed toward a time of katy bar the door down. But will say this I do not remember a thing till a week later in Balboa then was told was lucky give or take had to rebuild my left leg and large and a few other places.
have a idea what you meant so will leave it at that
And no not a penny
it means Huntsman snuffed your bullshît out early on.
Nah, it means I was referencing another famous 'million dollar wound'......

You may have left Viet Nam, but it never leaves you, especially the smell.

Hats off to all who served, are serving or will serve in the future.
Condolences to all who were lost and their families.

Tim
© 24hourcampfire