Home
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
This SOB is putting up one hell of a fight. Hammer, pb blaster and just gave me a little wiggle. Gonna try heating it up with the torch now.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Is it the shoes grabbing? If so, try backing off the adjuster.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Whats it on?
Posted By: add Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
This SOB is putting up one hell of a fight. Hammer, pb blaster and just gave me a little wiggle. Gonna try heating it up with the torch now.

The stink alone should have the drum giving up the ghost.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Be careful with heat near brake fluid.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Is the parking brake on?
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
88 Ford long bed I’m turning into a utility/off road trailer
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Can you back the shoes off?

Some of those early GM's didn't allow that....not sure about Ford.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
If the shoes aren’t holding it on, then try to get a couple of screwdrivers or pry bars on each side between it and backing plate. then whack the axle with a piece of wood and 4lb sledge or dead blow mallet.
Posted By: Reba Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Put the wheel and tire back one; the you will have more leverage for rocking it back and forth.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by Reba
Put the wheel and tire back one; the you will have more leverage for rocking it back and forth.

Hah that won't work!
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Unbolt the brake line and wheel cylinder from the backing plate, and cut the heads off the brake shoe retaining pins with an angle grinder. The wheel cylinder and brake shoes will come off with the drum, at least far enough to get a pry bar inside the drum and dismantle things.
Jerry
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
BFH and a torch!
Posted By: ERK Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
When I was a mechanic the ford drums would stick like this. It was usually the very center rusted on the knob of the axle. I would take a center punch and go around this several times to bust the rust loose. Always got them off this way. Good luck. Ed k
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Does the drum have bolt holes on the face of it? Pretty easy to break it free from the hub with the correct size bolt most of the time. That’s what the holes are there for.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by ERK
When I was a mechanic the ford drums would stick like this. It was usually the very center rusted on the knob of the axle. I would take a center punch and go around this several times to bust the rust loose. Always got them off this way. Good luck. Ed k

That's a good tip. OP never did answer bruinruin's question.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by ERK

I used an air chisel once trying to cut off the nuts on exhaust manifold flanges, didn't get the nuts to split but in the process vibrated the rust loose and they came right off. So I got the idea of getting some Smoothing drifts for my pneumatic chisel and made it an air hammer and it works great freeing up rusted stuff.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Beans - If you have backed off the shoe adjuster and also applied penetrant it is not likely that the shoes are grabbing tightly enough to prevent removal with hammer blows and/or leverage between drum and plate. I would not yet start using flame/heat. More than likely the problem is tight fit/corrosion roughness/etc. between two metal components on the axle-to-drum fit. Am not familiar with that particular setup but penetrant on such surfaces and rigging some sort of pusher or puller mechanism should overcome that. Hope this helps.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Bigger hammer!
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Unbolt the brake line and wheel cylinder from the backing plate, and cut the heads off the brake shoe retaining pins with an angle grinder. The wheel cylinder and brake shoes will come off with the drum, at least far enough to get a pry bar inside the drum and dismantle things.
Jerry

This ^ ^ ^ right here
Posted By: Heeler Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Um, wheel puller to apply pressure then smack the drum with a hammer to break free?
Posted By: Partsman Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
pictures would be nice
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Jerry

This ^ ^ ^ right here

Yes, this is the best advice.

I had to cut the heads off the retaining pins and use a brake drum puller to get one off once. It made a big "Wong" when it came off. Kind of scared me.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
I have an adjustable 15" wrench lot, and found in the field, I've tried off, and on for 30 years to get lose.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by ERK
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Tap the drum lightly with a small metallic object....dinng,,,,it ain't shoe interference. Center pilot binding. Clungk...shoe interference, proceed with Hotrod Lincoln program.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Bigger hammer!

have a short handled twelve lb for just this.
you could use penetrating oil and come back a little later.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Tap the drum lightly with a small metallic object....dinng,,,,it ain't shoe interference. Center pilot binding. Clungk...shoe interference, proceed with Hotrod Lincoln program.

THIS is what I was taught as well.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
I drilled them out. Was a stubborn bitch but got it done thanks all
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Jerry

This ^ ^ ^ right here
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Jerry

For the win!
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by rickt300
Jerry
For the win!
If indeed the shoes are binding enough to make drum removal impossible, I sure do agree with HL's advice. But, if the drum goes "ding" and it is not shoes binding, the penetrant and leverage method is a lot less hassle.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/02/20
Usually beat on them with a rubber mallet in various spots.

Selective use of 5lb hammer, better a shotpeen dead blow.
Between the studs..(But dont hit 'em)

Agree about the hub shoulder as a problem spot...
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/02/20
He said the drum won't turn- - - - -"reading is fundamental"- - - -that means the shoes were stuck to the drum. I started doing brake work in the early 1960's. Chances are the junk truck had the parking brake set for years, and the shoes rusted to the drum. I've seen that happen several times.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/05/20
He said the drum won't turn- - - - -"reading is fundamental"- - - -that means the shoes were stuck to the drum. I started doing brake work in the early 1960's. Chances are the junk truck had the parking brake set for years, and the shoes rusted to the drum. I've seen that happen several times.
Yeah - reading is essential, and so is comprehension of what is read. In none of beans' posts did he say that the drum will not spin/turn - where did you comprehend that?
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
you could use penetrating oil and come back a little later.

Don’t spoil it, Kroil it!

#truth
Posted By: slumlord Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
Yeah - reading is essential, and so is comprehension of what is read. In none of beans' posts did he say that the drum will not spin/turn - where did you comprehend that?

Send him a PM and tell him you taught school for 74 years but only after you mined asbestos with a pick and shovel at Johns Manville for 30 years first.

That impresses everyone.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by CCCC

Send him a PM and tell him you taught school for 74 years but only after you mined asbestos with a pick and shovel at Johns Manville for 30 years first. That impresses everyone.

Ha - simply ain't me !
Posted By: hanco Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/05/20
Originally Posted by bruinruin

That
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by bruinruin
That
Yes, saw that - it's an inquiry with related suggestion (good one) - it is not Beans (the OP) stating that the drums will not turn. I'm glad he got it sorted out and done.
Posted By: okie Re: Stuck brake drum. - 07/05/20
Brute force

Heat

Ingenuity

Panther piss

Not necessarily in that order

Rinse - Repeat

grin
© 24hourcampfire