Home
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...mbat-idUSKBN24334J?utm_source=reddit.com

Boeing communications chief resigns over decades-old article on women in combat

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co’s (BA.N) communications chief Niel Golightly abruptly resigned on Thursday, following an employee’s complaint over an article the former U.S. military pilot wrote 33 years ago arguing women should not serve in combat.

His exit leaves Boeing trying to fill the crucial role for the fourth time in less than three years, just as it is battling to shore up its brand after the prolonged safety grounding of its Boeing 737 MAX jetliner.

The job has become the industry’s biggest hot seat as Boeing fends off criticism for its handling of the 737 MAX crisis.

“My article was a 29-year-old Cold War navy pilot’s misguided contribution to a debate that was live at the time,” Golightly said in a statement included in Boeing’s announcement.

“My argument was embarrassingly wrong and offensive. The article is not a reflection of who I am; but nonetheless I have decided that in the interest of the company I will step down,” Golightly said.

According to an excerpt on the U.S. Naval Institute website, the December 1987 article titled “No Right to Fight” said: “At issue is not whether women can fire M-60s, dogfight MiGs, or drive tanks. Introducing women into combat would destroy the exclusively male intangibles of war fighting and the feminine images of what men fight for - peace, home, family.”

Golightly told staff in an email seen by Reuters on Thursday that the exclusion of women at the time was “government policy and broadly supported in society. It was also wrong.”

Golightly declined to comment beyond Boeing’s statement and his email.

Golightly’s departure after just six months on the job, during which he was said to be introducing sweeping changes, followed the board’s review of an internal anonymous ethics complaint that flagged his article.

He decided to step down after discussions with Boeing Chief Executive Dave Calhoun and others, Golightly said in his email.

Golightly acted after Boeing board members, already feeling pressure from the 15-month-old MAX crisis, had expressed little patience for a potentially damaging new distraction, people familiar with the matter said.

U.S. employers have been more responsive to complaints related to sex and racial equality and diversity fueled in part by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment, and anti-racist activism following the slaying of Black men by police.

Boeing has touted its strong commitment to improving diversity, though the number of women on its executive council has fallen from five to two since the beginning of 2019, according to Boeing’s annual reports and website.
Bull.

There are times I'm glad I'm nobody, and will always be nobody.
This is one of them.
It's too late to be careful even yesterday.
What if you were in a fraternity started by Robert E. Lee?

Asking for a friend.
Well he wasn't wrong.

My wife even agrees with his 33 year old sentiment.
It’s 1984. The book version I mean.
That is all bullcshit, he didn’t say anything that wasn’t out of line with the policy back then
I'm not even worried about the overtly racist memes I've sent to random people in the last hour.
Originally Posted by hanco
That is all bullcshit, he didn’t say anything that wasn’t out of line with the policy back then

Aren't you glad we work in the trades Hanco?
I'm going to apply for the vacant position. As a cover letter, I plan to use the article I wrote outlining why the 19th Amendment should be repealed.
Be careful about what you wrote or said 30 years ago

Unless you're a democrat.....then it doesn't matter.
Originally Posted by vapodog
Be careful about what you wrote or said 30 years ago

Unless you're a democrat.....then it doesn't matter.

Hell, democraps get a pass for criminal activity.
He was right the first time, wrong to resign.
Are the demoncrats trying to silence everyone again? Well piss on them

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by jackmountain

The place I work now would fire your ass for saying anything.
Why do these pussies cave instead of fight? JFC. mad
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Are the demoncrats trying to silence everyone again? Well piss on them

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

❤️
Me too...

I was wronged by a article naming zero as a hero in Time.

They should defund the magazine.
Interesting fact about women in combat related jobs in the military: The first female F-14 pilot was killed during a crash involving the same F-14 responsible for downing a Libyan fighter in the 80’s....when a man was flying it.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

The place I work now would fire your ass for saying anything.

I spent a lot my working time offshore. Iron island. Either you made it or went home.
Anything went. Stuff you’d hear at supper table.

Now i work in a metal fab shop.

Kid other day told me he thought it was too hot. Was perspiring.

Inside. Fugg me.
If he was going to resign anyway, he could have at least gone down fighting, and standing by his article from 30 years ago, which was true.
Instead he has to be chicken sh*t and knuckle under to the Libs, on his way out the door.
Perhaps we all deserve to go the way of the dodo bird. It seems 80% or better of white men have no fight left in them at all. Buncha cucks, getting beat up by dindus on the street, run out of their jobs by women, and disrespected and continually drained financially by their Ungrateful spawn.

It ain’t all of us, to be sure, but it sure makes me ashamed of our demographic at times. When are we going to get a belly full of this schit and remind everyone else why we have built modern society and run it for the last several hundred years? That they eat because we feed them, and breathe because we don’t snatch the life from them, even though we can. Piker negro commies and soyboys burn portions of cities. BFD. We burn continents, or at least we used to...

Funny.

In this house, I'm the feminist, if there is one.

I feel women should be allowed to do most anything they can truly do. (Not combat)

Wifee is an old fashioned chauvinist.

Her on a female POTUS,

"No way! R's run one, i wont vote. I know how nuts women are. How emotional
They can be. Put one in charge of the Army? Let her make the big decisions?
Hell no!"
Dillon - I've known many women who have expressed that same sentiment.
This is how organizations get taken over by Marxists. They replace good people who step down.

NEVER STEP DOWN, NEVER APOLOGIZE!
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

We are it.
I believe I know the person who lodged the complaint.

She’s a higher up that worked at the Eddystone/Ridley Park location for years. She had recently taken a move promotion.

Every time I talked to her she was yapping about the men’s club in the aeronautical engineering industry and how something had to change.

I wouldn’t put it past her to make a big deal about something like this.
My wife doesn't want to go to war. To paraphrase her "we fug you and feed you so that you can do the dirty work"

She is smart and tough.

mike r
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984
What totlal crap. Here is what he should have said:

"I definitely believed that 30 years ago. I think that nearly all military officers and most civilians believed that too. As it turned out, we were proven wrong. I amnot going to resign under those circumstances."
Originally Posted by Borchardt
What if you were in a fraternity started by Robert E. Lee?

Asking for a friend.

I was in a fraternity started by three ex-Confederate soldiers. It had 128 chapters. The bylaws stated, "As slaves and their descendents are not fit associates for free men, no Negro shall ever enter into the Legion of Honor (which is what they called themselves)."

How would that look if I ran for office?

Well, I'll tell you something. I joined that fraternity because of the guys in the local chapter, not the national bylaws. Some of us later helped the national organization remove that particular clause from the bylaws.
© 24hourcampfire