Home
Posted By: windridge Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
I know it's high right now, but I can see where at $1,400 now it will make it to $2,000 within a year. They are exceeding production projections and sales projections, even in this crazy economy. They are even turning a profit. None of the other makers can boast that. And, Musk is a genius with Trumpian energy. It will take the rest of industry a decade to catch up to him, and by then he'll have gone un-imagined directions and leave them in his dust.

If the Dems win, electric cars will soon be mandated.

If Trump wins (God, let's hope so!), the economy will break open again like it did before the Covid scam.

Civil unrest will burn itself up and burn out, leaving many construction and infrastructure projects in the wake, equaling new good paying jobs.

I'm going long with my limited funds on Tesla. I wish I had a year ago, but there's still great opportunity.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
Three months ago or so it was under $400...…...I know I didn't buy it either...….Musk just scares me....
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by TimZ
Three months ago or so it was under $400...…...I know I didn't buy it either...….Musk just scares me....

Trump scares a lot of people, too. wink

Dynamic men scare us commoners. eek whistle
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
And if video of Tesla on a kid on Eppys island turns up?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
"They are even turning a profit."

Source?
Originally Posted by NVhntr
"They are even turning a profit."

Source?

For the lazy among us...LOL wink

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...loyees-breaking-even-in-2q-will-be-tight
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

The kid will be flat; it will be the fault of Soros, the Rothschilds, and the new world order ... and TSLA share price will go up.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
Buy on a dip.
Be patient...
The shortest just got hosed and Musk sold red satin "shorts" to rub it in.
They will probably retaliate...
Buy when they do...
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/09/20
My brother just bought a $44,000 Tesla two weeks ago. A hundred dollars down, non refundable.
Car will be ready in a month.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Buy on a dip.
Be patient...
The shortest just got hosed and Musk sold red satin "shorts" to rub it in.
They will probably retaliate...
Buy when they do...

I'll buy 10 more shares if it dips. It's here for the next few years at least, and I'm old, so short term gain is a goal.
Posted By: EdM Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/10/20
Been great for years here.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/10/20
Tesla is no doubt firing on all cylinders (ha!), but 2K per share? It's ALREADY the most valuable auto company on the planet. More valuable than Ford, more than GM, more than Volkswagen, more than Toyota. That seems awfully rich. And I really like what they are doing, and I think Musk is a stud. But buying at this price?

At this point, if I'm going to put mad money on the electrical vehicle side of things, I'd probably go Hyliion. They are in the semi-truck segment, and, like Tesla, the guy in charge is an actual engineer, not some accounting puke..... And it helps they have actual products on the market, being sold right now.

Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/10/20
Originally Posted by Dutch
Tesla is no doubt firing on all cylinders (ha!), but 2K per share? It's ALREADY the most valuable auto company on the planet. More valuable than Ford, more than GM, more than Volkswagen, more than Toyota. That seems awfully rich. And I really like what they are doing, and I think Musk is a stud. But buying at this price?

At this point, if I'm going to put mad money on the electrical vehicle side of things, I'd probably go Hyliion. They are in the semi-truck segment, and, like Tesla, the guy in charge is an actual engineer, not some accounting puke..... And it helps they have actual products on the market, being sold right now.

When will it be offered? I'll buy with what I have left in one account. Will trade as HYLN, I see.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/10/20
The supply base for Telsa owns most of the tooling. Many of the production parts are still being made on low volume proto tools. They are trying to plan hard tooling cost for a time when volume can pay for it. Good Luck.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/10/20
Buy a CBS duplex no (or low) money down at 65% LTV that needs a little work.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Going Long on Tesla - 07/10/20
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by Dutch

When will it be offered? I'll buy with what I have left in one account. Will trade as HYLN, I see.

It is supposed to merge with an SPAC (Tortoise) in September which trades under the ticker SHLL. (get it Tortoise -shell?). SHLL is the only way to currently buy exposure to Hyliion.... and all this high-finance stuff is outside of my comfort zone.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tesla-nikola-hyliion-ev-truck-electric-stock-51593121114
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/12/20
Tesla announced a 5 for 1 stock split. It'll make it more affordable for employees and smaller investors (Me).

I can see my present stock increasing by 25%-30% soon.

I'm convinced Tesla is a winner. They're now the biggest (in value) car maker in the world.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/12/20
Do not confuse value with capitalization - there is a vast difference.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/12/20
Tesla announced a 5 for 1 stock split. It'll make it more affordable for employees and smaller investors (Me).

I can see my present stock increasing by 25%-30% soon.

I'm convinced Tesla is a winner. They're now the biggest (in value) car maker in the world.

Does Tessa have equity in space x and the fleet of internet satellites?
It seems autonomous cars would have a natural link to those little satellites....
Posted By: smokepole Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by jaguartx

The kid will be flat; it will be the fault of Soros, the Rothschilds, and the new world order ... and TSLA share price will go up.

That would be strange. Tesla died in the 1940's.
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/12/20
Originally Posted by oldcuss
Do not confuse value with capitalization - there is a vast difference.

There is, yes. Still, Tesla is becoming the "small" giant on the field. It's being valued presently at $300 billion. Assets need to be kept in perspective, however. Musk's genius for driving innovation is their big non-tangible asset. Space-X didn't just happen accidentally. He has a lot more up his sleeve.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/862655/tesla-overtakes-toyota/
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/12/20
My brother bought one in Charlotte a month ago. Put $100 down and is waiting for delivery.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/13/20
Tesla is the biggest scam in the history of Wall Street.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/13/20
You mean, compared to Enron and Worldcom?
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/13/20
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

They've turned profits for 4 quarters now, and they are rapidly expanding their Chinese market.

You just don't like electric cars, IMO. I don't either, but I think Musk is a straight shooter and a genius on many levels. He also told Newsom to GFY in essence.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/13/20
And you reasoning for that wild a$s comment is?

Posted By: CashisKing Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/13/20

I'm with you Jake... I guess we're both long on the buggy whip comeback.

...and beaver... beaver will shine again
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20
Looks like it will hit $2K soon and probably $2,100 by Battery Day. I'm glad I'm along for the ride. laugh
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20
Just wait till they do the reverse split.

My bud had stock in a gold mine and while it never made a pile of money things weren't bad.

When they did the reverse thing he wound up with not enough money invested to make 1 share.

He lost it all.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20

You retards have been guessing at this since $17. See you next year!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20
Yes, Elon Musk told the California Governor to go screw himself, as he moved a big part of production to Texas. Gotta love him for that alone.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Just wait till they do the reverse split.

My bud had stock in a gold mine and while it never made a pile of money things weren't bad.

When they did the reverse thing he wound up with not enough money invested to make 1 share.

He lost it all.

You're comparing a grain of sand to the Rocky Mountains. crazy
Originally Posted by Stickfight

You retards have been guessing at this since $17. See you next year!

Word is that the current share holders will get first crack at Space-X when it goes public. I'll be first in line to invest there, also.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20
Word is that the current share holders will get first crack at Space-X when it goes public.

I look forward to more idiotic threads advising investors of the “perils” of buying it.

There was a guy here who, midway through last year, was saying TSLA at $190 was a sell. Top level insight!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20
FANG... Tesla... Square...

Whole bunch of similarity in the last 9 months.
Posted By: ribka Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/18/20
I'll pick a few more shares in the next market correction.

You guys should look at PayPal too. A ex girlfriend is a CFO there and she keeps saying it is really set up to do well in the next few years especially with the covid and the trend towards cashless. I picked up a bunch in March.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/20/20
TSLA closed above $2,000 / share today, just a touch more than 2 months after breaking the $1,000 mark.

The 52 week low is $211.

Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/28/20
$2,239 today

The 5 for 1 split is coming on Monday. I wonder where it will go from there??

Tesla is a tech company as much as it is a car company. Come Battery Day look for it going up 25-30% with their million mile battery. They'll be supplying batteries to the other e-vehicle makers, increasing Tesla's worth. Musk is a winner.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/28/20
Congratulations to all the people who have made money on this stock. It still think it's worth about $50. I have no problem with the product personally but the market cap is beyond ludicrous. I truly believe that it will probably be the best short trade on Wall Street at some point but I wouldn't do it. Between the cult stock holders and the momentum traders, it could easily destroy a short trader. I've actually traded the stock a handful of times and never lost a dime on it. But because of the inherent volatility, I've stuck with direction agnostic option straddles or strangles. I could easily see it going another 50% on momentum and hype alone. I can also easily see it losing more than 50% in a matter of weeks. If you can stomach that and make money, good on ya.
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/28/20
Congratulations to all the people who have made money on this stock. It still think it's worth about $50. I have no problem with the product personally but the market cap is beyond ludicrous. I truly believe that it will probably be the best short trade on Wall Street at some point but I wouldn't do it. Between the cult stock holders and the momentum traders, it could easily destroy a short trader. I've actually traded the stock a handful of times and never lost a dime on it. But because of the inherent volatility, I've stuck with direction agnostic option straddles or strangles. I could easily see it going another 50% on momentum and hype alone. I can also easily see it losing more than 50% in a matter of weeks. If you can stomach that and make money, good on ya.

After the split I'm selling about 1/2 my meager holding and am taking a good profit. If it goes to nothing I will still have made a good profit. I'll stay in with the other and think it will settle out about where it was at $2,000 ($400/share post split). I want to be in position for the Space-X IPO; TSLA stockholders will get first crack when they get ready.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/28/20
I like Tesla as a company, but the stocks in lala land. I don’t do stocks much but I’m looking at November puts. Nothing survives a PE ratio of 1000. Some of these tech stocks are in 1999.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/28/20
Starlink is likely going to go public soon. I am planning on buying a bunch. Musk is no idiot
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/28/20
At my age Tesla stock is too scary for me to invest in it but they sure have cleaned GM's and Ford's clock. I think it's all a commentary on the incompetence of top management at those two companies.

Then there's SpaceX, which figured out how to launch satellites at 1/4 the cost the bureaucratic drones at NASA could manage. Not to mention Boeing and Lockheed.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Nothing survives a PE ratio of 1000.

It saddens me to admit it, but I was wrong and you guys were right. The house of cards you’ve been predicting Tesla to be came crashing down at open this morning, and their stock went from $2,200 per share to just over $440, an 80% loss.

I wish I had listened. You guys truly know the market. Who would want an electric car? You can’t even pull a trailer full of horses with one!

Guess I better start looking for things to pawn.

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
Apparently you're not aware Tesla's stock split 5-1
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Apparently you're not aware Tesla's stock split 5-1

Nice try. You aren’t going to convince me that communist Elon Musk isn’t scamming everyone.

If your car is electric you don’t have to stop at gas stations, who doesn’t enjoy stopping at gas stations?
Posted By: TimZ Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
Nothing survives a PE ratio of 1000.

It saddens me to admit it, but I was wrong and you guys were right. The house of cards you’ve been predicting Tesla to be came crashing down at open this morning, and their stock went from $2,200 per share to just over $440, an 80% loss.

I wish I had listened. You guys truly know the market. Who would want an electric car? You can’t even pull a trailer full of horses with one!

Guess I better start looking for things to pawn.

[Linked Image from ]

Hopefully that was a little campfire sarcasm?
Originally Posted by TimZ
Hopefully that was a little campfire sarcasm?

I’m going to have to explain this to my wife and boys. Christmas might not be so bright this year.

I really should have listened to those boomers on the campfire.
It's all good.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-stock-surges-ahead-of-stock-split-taking-effect-2020-08-31
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
It's all good.

Tesla’s entire revenue is government handouts of our tax dollars. Looks like people woke up to that and market sold their entire position.
It's all good.

Tesla’s entire revenue is government handouts of our tax dollars. Looks like people woke up to that and market sold their entire position.

Well you're right and you're wrong.
Well you're right and you're wrong.

Guys here tried to warn me, but I just didn’t listen. They really do know a lot more than I gave them credit for.

Really, I thought they were complete disconnected from reality imbeciles but boy do I have egg on my face now!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
My daughter's boyfriend is an environmental engineer [liberal] manager at Microsoft.
He told her to buy TSLA.
I told her not to buy it.

Then it went up.
I feel terrible.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
Meh, I more than doubled my $$ over the past few months. But I'm just a dummy. grin
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
I was just talkin with my financial advisor this morning. Tesla came up and he and I both laughed our ass off.

With genuine sincerity I wish you well on your position of long.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
With genuine sincerity I wish you well on your position of long.

Well, it is up almost 7% on the day today, so climbing slowly.

To take the sting out, I think I’ll try to sell some covered calls with crazy high strike prices.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 08/31/20
I'm happy for you and your profit on this. If I can only offer one piece of advice from watching the markets for decades and having taken great returns and also having had my azz handed to me... Be happy but don't be cocky, don't be stupid, and don't be too greedy. You can't lose money taking a profit. I wish I had learned that lesson a long time ago. If you are way up, seriously consider locking in some profits and playing with the houses money. Good luck.
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/01/20
I'm happy for you and your profit on this. If I can only offer one piece of advice from watching the markets for decades and having taken great returns and also having had my azz handed to me... Be happy but don't be cocky, don't be stupid, and don't be too greedy. You can't lose money taking a profit. I wish I had learned that lesson a long time ago. If you are way up, seriously consider locking in some profits and playing with the houses money. Good luck.

That's tempting. I'm up over $3K on the day and am not going back to the DOW. The opportunities are in the NASDAQ and S&P 500. I'll make mistakes, and I'll have some big gains. I am firmly convinced that Tesla is the next Amazon. They're not simply a car company; they're a leading high tech innovator that is light years ahead of the curve. Come battery day they'll jump another 10%. Musk is also working on technology that will make the present structure of the internet obsolete, as is Apple. I predict that within 2-3 years Apple will offer the 5G alternative many times faster than now, and the cost will be $4.99/Month. Some of what makes it work will have Tesla patents.

If I'm still kicking in a couple of years, I'll take some of my gains and invite you to the best dinner you would want. You name it. wink
Posted By: xarcher Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/01/20
Tesla finished the day up just a bit over 16% which added about $30K to my position. To protect against it tanking as some might fear, TSLA as well as all of my equities have a 20% trailing stop loss order. So when I spend 2 weeks on a mountain in a tent in MT later this month, the worst thing that can happen is it automatically sells when it drops to 20% below it's highest price.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/01/20
OT maybe here. If E M would build an affordable electric bike with lots of useable power I would buy two. Otherwise I can't afford anything he makes. If I can't buy one then most of us can't buy one either. YMMV. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/01/20
I’m in until at least Battery Day as well, but stop lossed out of prudence. It isn’t going to trigger though.

Lots of profit taking at the open today but it will probably recover.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I can't afford anything he makes.

The way they’ve gone to market so far is to get in at the higher end of the market to establish themselves, then deliver a model aimed at the next lower band.

No idea if they’ll ever do that with motorcycles but it has worked well for them with autos. It’ll probably work well with trucks next.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/01/20
Let’s bring this back up in November.
Let’s bring this back up in November.

2020? From past experience, you people need to be pinned down.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/02/20
In the last 10 years, TSLA is up 100X
In the last 10 years, AMZN is up 30X

During that time, I sold my TSLA and bought more and more AMZN.

I remember an old Dilbert blind date cartoon where she said, "You're not very good looking. You better have a nice car!"
Dilber smiled stupidly and says, "It's electric"

How was I to know that electric cars would go from embarrassing to status symbols?
Cars will be Tesla's basic market! His Brain Chip is going to be where the big money comes into play.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/02/20
Rent-seeking operation on the scale of billions of dollars that also, BTW, produces electric cars. Pretty clever.

Rent-seeking and financialization of the economy are not good things.
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Cars will be Tesla's basic market! His Brain Chip is going to be where the big money comes into play.

His battery technology and sales will be as big or bigger than car sales revenue.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/03/20

His battery technology and sales will be as big or bigger than car sales revenue.

I've been thinking that too because the power grid may become unstable with the increase of "renewable"(intermittent) energy.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/03/20
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I've been thinking that too because the power grid may become unstable with the increase of "renewable"(intermittent) energy.

Battery storage, and a large part in vehicle batteries, are a critical part of stabilizing the grid of the future. With that much battery capacity on standby to feed into or draw out of the grid based on availability, intermittent generation options become feasible.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/04/20
Hope you sold those covered calls.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/04/20
Two days ago it was $507.
Today it is $407.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/04/20
It was a red day all around, but that is what hedges are for.

Strangely, and in contrast to every dire warning handed out in Tesla threads, a guy who bought on the split record date last week would still be up.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Two days ago it was $507.
Today it is $407.

What will it be tomorrow?
Looking at the chart, looks like 300 might be support if it gets there.
Looking at the chart, looks like 300 might be support if it gets there.

You've a good opportunity to make millions on a short. What is your position?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I bought December puts on the QQQs at 303 and sold today at around 288. Made about 40% in 2 days. Back in cash. I don't hold long.
Nice...that would have made things a good bit comfier.

I don't hold any given thing all that long but don't carry much cash. My TQQQ stops went off and SQQQ buys shortly after. Boomer rock mining ETFs did similar. Nothing else moved enough yet because I'd bought a ways before this latest run up.

Based on TSLA's after market, one of my sells will probably trip at open....but just a small one. That'll keep the kids in shoes through the winter though.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/04/20
Anyone buying the dip laugh
Posted By: ribka Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/04/20

Tempting today. I just picked up some PayPal and SHLL on their lows today. Probably should wait a few more weeks.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/05/20

The wife sold enough stock for us to live on for the year on Monday.....good timing compared to selling today.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/05/20
Scary thing about these stocks that do the 3 standard deviation moves, just a simple mean reversion to a channel center, moving average or trendline can be a 30-50% move.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/05/20
Greed got me buying today......instead of selling last Thursday!

Education......is expensive!
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/08/20
Today had to sting a bit. TSLA down 21%. For me, I tried fishing for some QQQ call options 3 times and got stop out all three times as the damn market couldn't hold a gain. Luckily, net zero loss for me since one of my stops trailed up slightly. Very frustrating day though if looking for a bottom.
Posted By: ribka Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/08/20
Today had to sting a bit. Down 21%.For me, I tried fishing for some QQQ call options 3 times and got stop out all three times as the damn market couldn't hold a gain. Luckily, net zero for me since one of my stops trailed up slightly. Very frustrating day though if looking for a bottom.

I told my Buddy to cash out on tech and Tesla beginning of last week, but he got greedy. We all make mistakes and the market is a bitch to predict. Been there before

A bit of a claw back in after hours trading. I did a little bargain hunting. I bought some more PayPal, FTSI, ESTE on lows today.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/08/20
TSLA down another 4% after hours.
TSLA down another 4% after hours.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NKL...oNBwKbORkNjyhIJmcFVW-x_HtYgCmvxDo13AiEG_

Tesla competitor did ok today. I wish I bought last week. d'ohhh
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/08/20

The wife sold enough stock for us to live on for the year on Monday.....good timing compared to selling today.

Good trade, that stock is still scary high.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/08/20
Originally Posted by ribka
Today had to sting a bit. Down 21%.For me, I tried fishing for some QQQ call options 3 times and got stop out all three times as the damn market couldn't hold a gain. Luckily, net zero for me since one of my stops trailed up slightly. Very frustrating day though if looking for a bottom.

I told my Buddy to cash out on tech and Tesla beginning of last week, but he got greedy. We all make mistakes and the market is a bitch to predict. Been there before

A bit of a claw back in after hours trading. I did a little bargain hunting. I bought some more PayPal, FTSI, ESTE on lows today.

I‘m still being a pansy, mid oct might be a better entry point. I bid on the only bank owned fixer in town along with 25 of my closest friends. Lots of spec homes popping up by unknown builders, that’s never a good sign. Something feels like it’s going to pop biggley soon. Maybe I should sell and move to Dillon MT and raise sheep, getting crowded here all of a sudden.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/08/20

I slept in this morning and wondered what happened to push GM. If people think this is going to put them into position to compete with Tesla, I think they'll be disappointed.

In any case lots EV did well today. Buying daily dips of WKHS for the last 2 months offset my TSLA losses.

I‘m still being a pansy, mid oct might be a better entry point. I bid on the only bank owned fixer in town along with 25 of my closest friends. Lots of spec homes popping up by unknown builders, that’s never a good sign. Something feels like it’s going to pop biggley soon. Maybe I should sell and move to Dillon MT and raise sheep, getting crowded here all of a sudden.

that's not a bad strategy to wait

I slept in this morning and wondered what happened to push GM. If people think this is going to put them into position to compete with Tesla, I think they'll be disappointed.

In any case lots EV did well today. Buying daily dips of WKHS for the last 2 months offset my TSLA losses.

think you're right. They lack the insight or Musk.

Glad I picked SHLL last week. One of the few stocks, besides some airlines I held, in the green today
Posted By: Calvin Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/09/20
When should I buy some Tesla? Have an itch to buy some.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 09/09/20

Tue, Jun 18, 2013, 12:14 PM I got 100 shares of TSLA at $103.25
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/07/20

You made a fortune if you're still holding it.

I sold 10 shares recently and bought some NIO. NIO hasn't made me quite as much, but I feel it will go over $100 early next year. I made 125% on my Tesla since I jumped in this summer.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/07/20
Stocks are a lot like slot machines.
Everybody wants to tell you how much they made/won.
Nobody ever tells you how much they lost.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/07/20
Bought TSLA just before they split along with some AAPL. Sold NIO for a tidy profit because of its chart. Also sold ATVI and MSFT because of flat performance and bought XOM, CVX and BP because oil looked like it had a double bottom.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/07/20
I bought in back when I was making posts about electric cars here on the fire, it was 235 or 245 at the time.

I think I was trying to convince myself to buy in by posting my Tesla Tesla research here in the forums.

Almost sold when it hit 1K just because the novilty of my profits puting me in a new Tesla for free the way it penciled out at the time.
I just decided I really didn't need the car so I kept the stock.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/07/20
I never understood you yanks falling in love with Musk. He sells himself as the great scientist whilst actually just being a corporatist, major achievement was the invention of paypal. Most of the rest has been running smoke and mirrors to attract venture capital in future tech that doesnt have to make a profit now( because it only works in the future lol) . He has the whole millenial population hailing him as the planteray saviour of their generation( when the guy is almost 50 lol) while his main target is the real money of DOD, airforce and missile contracts.

The government loves him too, as instead of paying actual trillions for space programs anymore they can give this clown a few billion to run his smoke and mirrors for the population and call it a day.

The funniest thing is the US a country who once produced actual geniuses like Thomas Edison, Morse, Wright brothers, Henry Ford, now pins its hopes on this South African tech-playboy who is still cant duplicate the systems that got you to the moon 50 years ago. Good heavens, its yet another example of the craziness of today. You guys really fell from the perch and settled for 10th best.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/07/20
With Trump the electric car is failing behind.
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by 158XTP
I never understood you yanks falling in love with Musk. He sells himself as the great scientist whilst actually just being a corporatist, major achievement was the invention of paypal. Most of the rest has been running smoke and mirrors to attract venture capital in future tech that doesnt have to make a profit now( because it only works in the future lol) . He has the whole millenial population hailing him as the planteray saviour of their generation( when the guy is almost 50 lol) while his main target is the real money of DOD, airforce and missile contracts.

The government loves him too, as instead of paying actual trillions for space programs anymore they can give this clown a few billion to run his smoke and mirrors for the population and call it a day.

The funniest thing is the US a country who once produced actual geniuses like Thomas Edison, Morse, Wright brothers, Henry Ford, now pins its hopes on this South African tech-playboy who is still cant duplicate the systems that got you to the moon 50 years ago. Good heavens, its yet another example of the craziness of today. You guys really fell from the perch and settled for 10th best.

We put men on the moon while you were wondering what kind of cheese??? confused
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20

You made a fortune if you're still holding it.

I sold 10 shares recently and bought some NIO. NIO hasn't made me quite as much, but I feel it will go over $100 early next year. I made 125% on my Tesla since I jumped in this summer.

I used to think about luck vs talent, but gave it up as a dead end. I now see results vs persistence. I think failing hard and not giving up, but trying to learn from each event is what helped me in investing. I now believe in buying a stock, not based on today, but based on where I think it will be in 5 years. I liked stocks that had no competition, like GOOG, AMZN, and MSFT. Working well since 1994.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20

We put men on the moon while you were wondering what kind of cheese??? confused

The old generation put men on the moon. You idiots cant even remember how they did it. Neither can Musk.

Its what I was saying. The US had some of the greatest brains humanity produced. Guys like edison, Ford, Morse, Braun, wright brothers.

Now you worship some hype merchant from South Africa selling 'future tech' under cover of chasing DOD and airforce contracts..and he still cant get you back to the moon.

Good heavens. Imagine if you went back in time and tried to explain the above debacle to the public of the 1970's who are used to the Apollo programs.

Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
We've been to the moon enough. It obviously doesn't warrant a return. We'll get to Mars in the not too distant future.

What other country is sending boosters up and back and landing them on small ships?

I'll also wager that we have secrets that the government and industry have no interest in sharing with you.

You're no doubt sour that you didn't buy Tesla when it was cheap.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20

The sell order on the TSLA in my wife’s brokerage account triggered yesterday. She decided she wanted their “2020” roadster back when they announced it in November 2017, so we agreed to put 20k in TSLA and if it grew 10x while the thing could still be bought she’d use that to get one.

Still don’t know if she is going to order it now that it will probably slip to 2022.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
We've been to the moon enough. It obviously doesn't warrant a return.

Your last three presidents claimed it warranted a return.
We'll get to Mars in the not too distant future.

Probably be there already if you had your old funding.
What other country is sending boosters up and back and landing them on small ships?

Same one that could explore space and land humans on large planetoids... half a century ago. back then there were a lot of Americans leading the tech too,.not just one south african.

I just miss the old space race. There were major innovations to life very ten years in the 20th century. We finished off with the internets creation....what have we had since then? 20 years of different sized cellphones. Ten years of musk who still cant make a profitable eletric car and stories about Mars as he triples his wealth on defence contracts.

Posted By: ConradCA Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
Biden is going to cause a depression. Tesla is a high cost toy that people won’t be able to afford in the Biden economy.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
Tesla is building a factory in China and in Germany. He can then sell to the Asian market and the European market without import tariffs. He is building a factory in Texas that will make pickup trucks in 2021. The pickup truck can go 500 miles on a charge. Granted, this is probably without a load and going the speed limit on the interstate. However, it can outpull a Ford F-150. Anyways, Tesla sells drive trains to Toyota and Nissan for their hybrid vehicles. They have put up charging stations around the country following the interstate system. One is in my town at our mall and is 2 miles from the interstate. I have seen as many as 3 Teslas there at a time. It has 6 stations. Tesla motors are being used on SpaceX's Mars rocket in Boca Chica, Texas to operate their fins on reentry from the atmosphere. Tesla is still growing. Stock probably won't drop even in a recession as rich people still have money to buy them. Their cheapest car is about $40,000 and their flagship car the Model S starts around $70,000. Their truck is going to start around $60,000 or about the same as a tricked out F-150.

People who complain about Tesla are not up to speed as to what they are doing. Also, you can no longer get the energy tax credit for Tesla as their production has increased above what the government allows for start up companies. It gave out a couple of years ago. So they are still selling without the credits. So there is that. The tax credit helped you to buy one.

Musk is a hard working engineer with a dual degree in Engineering/Physics and Economics. His biography says he works 18 hours a day, thus his first wife divorced him because he was never at home. Yes he parties some but not all the time. I think he is a nerd and just "parties" to try to fit in with the Hollywood crowd. He, however is selling in million dollar California homes and moving to Texas. He has been against the lockdowns, and even has had the Wuhan Flu himself.

His rocket have launched more than any other brand now. He has landed them over 60+ times and reused them as many as 7 times. His Mars rocket, which will be be biggest rocket in the world or has ever been built. It will be twice the power of Saturn V and fully reusable. This is being tested as I write. His rocket engines have the most thrust to weight of any ever built and are reusable. His new engines are designed to make 100 flights without a rebuild. NASA has spent $100 billion on their new big rocket over the last 12 years and still haven't launched. Musk just started on his Mars rocket this year and is about to make a test flight as we speak.

His Starlink satellites (over 900 in orbit now) will have over 2,000 in orbit by the end of 2021 and will offer high speed internet service to rural areas in the northern hemisphere. Cost is $500 for the 18" antenna and equipment and $99 a month for service. The satellite constellation will eventually have 12,000 satellites. The more the higher the speed. He is currently launching 60 at a time on his reusable Falcon 9 rocket twice a month. His Mars Starship can launch about 300 at a time when it gets operational next year. The military is already buying service. He just got $900 million from the FCC to help get the satellites up for high speed internet for rural areas. Also, FYI, they also gave millions to cable companies to do the same, and they haven't even started expanding the cable, which costs about $10 a foot to install to get just a few customers. SpaceX started the satellites on their own, and build their own satellites without government support. They thought it impossible at first. SpaceX filed a lawsuit for some FCC money they were giving to cable companies, since he was doing the same thing a different way. He won or settled out of court to get some of this seed money. He also had to file a lawsuit against the Air Force (now Space Force) to get contracts to launch military satellites. Before only Boeing and Lockheed got the contracts at a much higher price.

Musk is not someone to bet against. He is quirky, but he gets things done. Very similar to Henry Ford, Thomas Eddison, and Rockafeller in their day. Ford didn't invent the car, he made production cheaper. Eddison through persistance developed the light bulb. Rockafeller pushed kerosene to replace whale oil for lamps, then pushed gasoline to replace alcohol for vehicle use and built gas stations for refueling. This is similar to Musk building charging stations for electric vehicles. Musk moved to America because he couldn't get his dreams in reality until he came to America. Nicoli Tesla moved to America and developed AC current. Same story.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
Its more than just cars, its batteries and storage and any other forms of tech that he has in his mind. Young investors want a piece of Musk and his intellect and ability to fund his dreams. The point of concern is the new sell off of company stock to raise another $5 billion. That is going to fund his German factory etc.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
People who complain about Tesla are not up to speed as to what they are doing.

Few companies run slow enough to keep pace with a lot of the people offering investment “advice” here.

There was the “let’s revisit this in November” guy earlier in the thread. November came and went and you don’t see him no more. There is another guy a couple of posts up who, despite being full of opinions, seems to believe Tesla is not profitable.
Originally Posted by Oakster
The point of concern is the new sell off of company stock to raise another $5 billion.

The market doesn’t seem all that concerned at this point. Their market cap hasn’t slipped back below $600BB so they are still worth more than 4x as much as Ford and GM and whatever Chrysler is calling themselves these days, combined.

A company that has proven it can deliver like Tesla has should be enroucaged to raise money via a capital market rather than incur debt. Browsing through the financial publications the stock sale plan seems well received, except by the (((people))) who make their living off debt.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/08/20
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Biden is going to cause a depression. Tesla is a high cost toy that people won’t be able to afford in the Biden economy.

I made 20% under Clinton, Bush 43, and Obama.
I made over 40% under Trump so far.
I will probably go back to 20% return in the stock market if Biden is messing things up.

I am going to miss Trump cutting regulations and cutting taxes.
Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/09/20
[i][/i]
[quote=windridge]
I just miss the old space race. There were major innovations to life very ten years in the 20th century. We finished off with the internets creation....what have we had since then? 20 years of different sized cellphones. Ten years of musk who still cant make a profitable eletric car and stories about Mars as he triples his wealth on defence contracts.

Tesla is in fact turning a profit. He has for the last four quarters, and it's the reason Tesla will move to the S&P index later this month.

I agree 100% with missing the old space race. When I was in Jr High we had the Life Magazine with the iconic photo of the Mercury Seven on the cover displayed at the front of the classroom. They were heroes! Our present pop-culture heroes are pathetic and despicable.
Posted By: 158XTP Re: Going Long on Tesla - 12/09/20
Tesla is building a factory in China and in Germany. He can then sell to the Asian market and the European market without import tariffs. He is building a factory in Texas that will make pickup trucks in 2021. The pickup truck can go 500 miles on a charge. Granted, this is probably without a load and going the speed limit on the interstate. However, it can outpull a Ford F-150. Anyways, Tesla sells drive trains to Toyota and Nissan for their hybrid vehicles. They have put up charging stations around the country following the interstate system. One is in my town at our mall and is 2 miles from the interstate. I have seen as many as 3 Teslas there at a time. It has 6 stations. Tesla motors are being used on SpaceX's Mars rocket in Boca Chica, Texas to operate their fins on reentry from the atmosphere. Tesla is still growing. Stock probably won't drop even in a recession as rich people still have money to buy them. Their cheapest car is about $40,000 and their flagship car the Model S starts around $70,000. Their truck is going to start around $60,000 or about the same as a tricked out F-150.

People who complain about Tesla are not up to speed as to what they are doing. Also, you can no longer get the energy tax credit for Tesla as their production has increased above what the government allows for start up companies. It gave out a couple of years ago. So they are still selling without the credits. So there is that. The tax credit helped you to buy one.

Musk is a hard working engineer with a dual degree in Engineering/Physics and Economics. His biography says he works 18 hours a day, thus his first wife divorced him because he was never at home. Yes he parties some but not all the time. I think he is a nerd and just "parties" to try to fit in with the Hollywood crowd. He, however is selling in million dollar California homes and moving to Texas. He has been against the lockdowns, and even has had the Wuhan Flu himself.

His rocket have launched more than any other brand now. He has landed them over 60+ times and reused them as many as 7 times. His Mars rocket, which will be be biggest rocket in the world or has ever been built. It will be twice the power of Saturn V and fully reusable. This is being tested as I write. His rocket engines have the most thrust to weight of any ever built and are reusable. His new engines are designed to make 100 flights without a rebuild. NASA has spent $100 billion on their new big rocket over the last 12 years and still haven't launched. Musk just started on his Mars rocket this year and is about to make a test flight as we speak.

His Starlink satellites (over 900 in orbit now) will have over 2,000 in orbit by the end of 2021 and will offer high speed internet service to rural areas in the northern hemisphere. Cost is $500 for the 18" antenna and equipment and $99 a month for service. The satellite constellation will eventually have 12,000 satellites. The more the higher the speed. He is currently launching 60 at a time on his reusable Falcon 9 rocket twice a month. His Mars Starship can launch about 300 at a time when it gets operational next year. The military is already buying service. He just got $900 million from the FCC to help get the satellites up for high speed internet for rural areas. Also, FYI, they also gave millions to cable companies to do the same, and they haven't even started expanding the cable, which costs about $10 a foot to install to get just a few customers. SpaceX started the satellites on their own, and build their own satellites without government support. They thought it impossible at first. SpaceX filed a lawsuit for some FCC money they were giving to cable companies, since he was doing the same thing a different way. He won or settled out of court to get some of this seed money. He also had to file a lawsuit against the Air Force (now Space Force) to get contracts to launch military satellites. Before only Boeing and Lockheed got the contracts at a much higher price.

Musk is not someone to bet against. He is quirky, but he gets things done. Very similar to Henry Ford, Thomas Eddison, and Rockafeller in their day. Ford didn't invent the car, he made production cheaper. Eddison through persistance developed the light bulb. Rockafeller pushed kerosene to replace whale oil for lamps, then pushed gasoline to replace alcohol for vehicle use and built gas stations for refueling. This is similar to Musk building charging stations for electric vehicles. Musk moved to America because he couldn't get his dreams in reality until he came to America. Nicoli Tesla moved to America and developed AC current. Same story.

His CV reads like most billionaires, which obviously impresses you.

personally I see that entire list as an example of the lack of real innovation today. We went from seeking science for sciences sake, to being consumers wanting a better car battery or different sized smartphone.

Something the newer generation doesnt understand. National space and tech programs, real ones, like your old ones, meant you didnt have one entrepeneur running the show. Schools, universities, research institutes, geniuses (on regular pay), the whole population all raced to get their first. A million minds on the job day and night backed by a national budget. Thats how the 20th century went from steam to space flight in just 5 decades.

Musk gets more money handed to him than any contractor in history, but its still tiny potatoes compared to the above. He is an example of when goivernments want to avoid spending trillions on an actual national prorgam. Those of us who grew up watching the US explore the solar system, are harder to impress with his dog and pony show.

Posted By: windridge Re: Going Long on Tesla - 01/07/21

His CV reads like most billionaires, which obviously impresses you.

personally I see that entire list as an example of the lack of real innovation today. We went from seeking science for sciences sake, to being consumers wanting a better car battery or different sized smartphone.

Something the newer generation doesnt understand. National space and tech programs, real ones, like your old ones, meant you didnt have one entrepeneur running the show. Schools, universities, research institutes, geniuses (on regular pay), the whole population all raced to get their first. A million minds on the job day and night backed by a national budget. Thats how the 20th century went from steam to space flight in just 5 decades.

Musk gets more money handed to him than any contractor in history, but its still tiny potatoes compared to the above. He is an example of when goivernments want to avoid spending trillions on an actual national prorgam. Those of us who grew up watching the US explore the solar system, are harder to impress with his dog and pony show.

This is a new century and a new game.

Musk is doing what no Country has matched, let alone individual innovator.

BTW, anyone look at TSLA today?
laugh
© 24hourcampfire