Home
A lot of us live in the country, or a small town.

Our post office is in a town of maybe 500 people. We are on the farm in Iowa.

Like to share thoughts on you neck of the woods?
Remote village. Everyone lives in a P.O. box.
Two miles from a small village.... Nearest neighbor is 1/4 M away, and invisible from here... Close enough.. smile
We live in town, have a street address, but our mail comes by rural carrier.
I have a rural mail carrier and the service is terrible .
10 miles from town and the mail box is 2 miles from us. The rural mail carrier goes to church with us so he will deliver packages to us so they don't have to stay at the post office or as the previous one did, put them on the ground next to the highway.
I live 2 miles out from a small village. The village consists of a small group of houses built around a crossroads with flashing light, a convenience store/gas station, a general store, a garage/mechanic, a church, a concrete business and just recently a General Dollar. My mail is delivered by rural mail carrier to my mailbox at the foot of my drive.
4 miles from the nearest village. Nothing but family owned gas station/convenience store, a mechanic, a body shop and a blinking light.
It's told there is a post office in the Grand Canyon, the mail comes, and goes by pack mule, the winds make using a helicopter impossible. Know that is rural delivery.
3 miles from a town of 2500. Rural carrier. Delivery on Saturday is very unreliable.
PO Box only. No delivery here. PO is about 2 miles away.
P.O. Box here no delivery. When we moved here in 1982, one could simply list the name and town and stuff would show up. Without zip codes today though, I doubt the larger mail handling centers would take the time to hand sort and route things.
Live in rural AK with no home mail delivery
PO Box only with weather greatly effecting delivery
Live a mile and a half from a small town of 375 people. Mail comes to a P.O. Box in town. House has a street address, but we just tell folks we live across the road from June and John. The town has a small credit union, and one reasonably stocked grocery store, a bakery and a restaurant.
30 miles from town. 1.5 miles to mail box. can see a neighbor 3 miles across the valley. can see Creston BC. and Porthill 5 miles across the valley.
Keith, it's a small town indeed if you can't buy beer. laugh
I can see my dog running away from home for the first three days.
Nearest town of 2300 is 6 miles away. Mailbox at the end of the driveway for normal mail. Weird looking mailman.

For packages, a smoking hot brunette delivers to the house. cool
Live in an outer suburb of a large megalopolis.

Over the decades, most of the people here moved out of the central city because of....(it's "raciss" to say why).

Mail is reliable. 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to major league sports (if I ever go again), first class plays, symphony orchestras, museums, skiing, a national park, a 300 yard rifle range, and several Skeet, Trap, and Sporting Clays venues. Also an hour from the walleye capital of the world, the largest Amish community in the USA, and a 1000 yard rifle range. No BLM.

City dwelling done right, IMHO.
No mail here. If need be it gets sent to a neighbor up the road.
I seen a woodchuck. It was chestnut color.
Live in a small mountain town. About 500 year round residents and probably 1500 summer cabins/rvs and a lot of campers.
Only 1 convenience store/gas station, nearest market, hardware store, drug store, etc is 25 miles away.

Post Office box is only way to get USPS mail. Fedex and UPS delivers. Decent service.
Rural mail delivery for me. Five miles from a town of 2000, 7 bars, 7 churches, 4 gas/diesel retailers, convenience store closes at midnight.
Small unincorporated village. Everyone who lives "in town" has to rent a box at the post office to receive USPS mail. A mile or so out, everyone else gets rural delivery at their mail box beside the road.
I’ve had the same PO Box for 50 years, I got it when I was a senior in high school. I get some mail sent to my street address.
I go to the post office maybe once a year. There is simply no other reason to go there.

Old people must wake up everyday and think that the post office is giving away free, hot bread.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I go to the post office maybe once a year. There is simply no other reason to go there.

Old people must wake up everyday and think that the post office is giving away free, hot bread.

Post Office and McDonalds
I ain't tellin

its a seekaret.

small town......

1200ish

PO Box..usually ride my SxS to PO when I go

most expensive building ? new water treatment plant......

hell the back up Gen was $40K....Cummins diesel motor

U know who has the biggest Church,,,,,,,

A few yrs ago...I annexed a section 125 deep x 200 wide to the city....

needed city water & sewer...other 22 acres is county

Quiet end of town....

winters are long/windy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We live a dirt road. 1/2 mile to pavement and the mail box. Bout 7 miles to town.
Spent most of my life living in tiny towns, by choice. They have just as many crazies, but you know who they are.
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Post Office and McDonalds
and only order .60 black coffee, small
And then onto the Phillips 66, The Planter’s Bank, the Publix for some more butterscotch...every day

Groundhog Day
Old people know the best Phillips66 stations to take a diverticulitis dump at.
9 miles to the next guy on the power line....add 6 miles to get to our town of 299.....my address is a hwy
Mile marker number....... mail on mondays and fridays ...out of site out of mine..
Originally Posted by atvalaska
9 miles to the next guy on the power line....add 6 miles to get to our town of 299.....my address is a hwy
Mile marker number....... mail on mondays and fridays ...out of site out of mine..

You get dat free innnek off of ionospher?
Very small town of 270. PO Box is 3 miles away. Post Office only open 4 hours a day..........
i live 10 miles from town,1 neighbor 1/4 mile maybe farther ? i live on my great Grandfathers homestead land that he owned since 1890`s ,he came from Germany in 1880`s, i did get to fish with my great grandfather when i was young on the river i live by that is 200 yards away.plenty wildlife around my home always turkeys,ducks,geese,deer ,bear many other critters too. my grandkids make for the 6th generation of my family tree .
Our driveway is 3/4 mile to the mail box and when it's not African hot I like hunt my way up to the mail box. We have a real sweetie who delivers the mail and if we have a package she knows the gate code and brings it to the house.
New neighbor across the street bought a 3 way mailbox
They didnt like the mailman stopping in front of their house 3 times.
Musta been traumatizing to em or something....
My box, theirs, and another neighbor.
Hey if it trips your trigger ....
It's on you......
My old mailbox seemed to work perfectly fine before.....
IDGAF....

I just wanted to particafuggingpate in this thread.
Cause I felt left out and left little house in Bum fugg frozen wastelands 6 months outta the year Maine looooooooong ago.
Soooooo glad I left Jerkwater USA and went my own path.
Made my own way in life.
And landed finally here in Clarksvegas, Tn.
It's Bigger than Billings most def.
Definately bigger than 360° horizon Cornhole Iowa.
And we have Cici,s Pizza!!!!!

LOL!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I am three miles out of here,with a PO Box... 1/4 mile to the nearest neighbor..Skip to 0:55 to miss the intro.

The two buildings in town that get repeatedly damaged by older folks ramming their Buicks into the storefront are the post office and the pharmacy. If the PO doesn't get the front end demolished at least every other year, it's a shocker. They probably keep a big roll of that yellow caution tape behind the front counter.

I recently left the subdivision life and moved 15 miles out from the nearest town. I'm at the end of the blacktop and utility services stop at my place. Mail service seems a bit spottier than it was in town, but my mail carrier is nice. Changed a tire for her last week.
Rural route 3, closest town 5 miles population of around 1200. There is where you will find a cup of coffee at the drug store for 10 cents, haircut at Barber shop $10. As Jpro referenced, some old folks went to pay their bill at the State Farm office the other day (don’t trust the mail) drove right thru the front door. Police asked the old man driver if he had any medical conditions, he said “hell I don’t know” turned to his wife “do I have any medical conditions?”

we have 2 addresses P.O. Box about 30 miles away, P.O. at a cross road of 2 county Farm to market rd's, no other services, or our mail box on the county farm to market rd. and our front gate, 6 miles from my house To our front gate , service is better at P.O.. The white truck and the brown truck work better than the USPS. Rio7
I still ain't tellin'

renegades mailman must drive up on the sidewalk to deliver to them fancy new boxes.

RIO7, I'm jealous. I'd be really jealous if you were in MT and not TX. Maybe even the AZ mountains.
Only 170,000 or so here. 40" walk to the mailbox.
Originally Posted by JPro

The two buildings in town that get repeatedly damaged by older folks ramming their Buicks into the storefront are the post office and the pharmacy. If the PO doesn't get the front end demolished at least every other year, it's a shocker. They probably keep a big roll of that yellow caution tape behind the front counter.

My great aunt, Grannies sister plowed her ford contour thru the front of the Tobaco Shack one morning in our small town.

Jonesin’ for some Virginia slims.

Got confused and put in drive instead of reverse....

Smoked the tired before they got her stopped.......
Originally Posted by smarquez
Only 170,000 or so here. 40" walk to the mailbox.

small town livin' there smarquez wink
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I still ain't tellin'

renegades mailman must drive up on the sidewalk to deliver to them fancy new boxes.

RIO7, I'm jealous. I'd be really jealous if you were in MT and not TX. Maybe even the AZ mountains.

Aint no sidewalks.
Khan/ wife mowed saturday.
Looks good huh????
I geuss to people that see things that way...
Me..... IDGAF....
Seems ta be a once a week thing for her now.
You go girl.....

My prairie is growing out back again like it should....
LOL!!!
P.O. Box 5, Nipomo, Ca. Until 2010.
Is that the road next to the boxes? Looks to be about 8 feet wide only. Looks like a sidewalk to me.

Khan wife is doing a bang up job there.

Prairies lives matter.
Wabi,

I live outside of town.

We have a mailbox in town still, but the walk, or the drive, is always good for a chat or two with those we don't see too often, and it keeps us up to snuff on the gossip grin

View from the east side, the two buildings you see to the left in the distance are the Fire Station (volunteers).

I think we get some mighty pretty sunsets here.

Lynn
Lynn,

good to see you around still.

And yes, a lovely country sunset.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Is that the road next to the boxes? Looks to be about 8 feet wide only. Looks like a sidewalk to me.

Khan wife is doing a bang up job there.

Prairies lives matter.

20ft
Yep.
And
Yep.

LOL!!!
I’m a mile from a small town that still has a post office that’s open two hours a day. But, I don’t get my mail there. I live on the rural route that I served on as mail carrier for 31 years. I had the best of service, though some of the other people on the route might argue that.......lol. As the older carriers retire, and the hiring practices of USPS become more “diversified” and less stringent, the service becomes worse.
Pretty Lynn, that corn looks lush, and green. Now I'll have to find some sunsets. laugh
Originally Posted by 1minute
P.O. Box here no delivery. When we moved here in 1982, one could simply list the name and town and stuff would show up. Without zip codes today though, I doubt the larger mail handling centers would take the time to hand sort and route things.

A few years back I was working a refuel outage at brown's ferry, and staying near Athens Alabama. This pre-dated depositing checks with your cell phone, and I had no bank branch near enough to make deposits. Every week I'd make my way to the post office and send the check home to my wife.

One day, I'm in line at the P.O. when I ran across a friend that I worked with occasionally. Hadn't seen him for a couple of years and we caught up while we waited in line. I got to the counter and paid for a posted envelope, then we made our way to the rear counter where I stuffed the check in the envelope and (I thought) addressed it to my wife at home.

Several days went by and she asked me on the phone if I was sure I sent the check. Yeah, I was sure. Told her it'd be there in a couple of days or so.
A week after I sent it, I called the P.O. to report that my mail hadn't arrived at home.
On the advice of the postal guy I advised the company I worked for that the check was lost, and a few days later they gave me a new check.

A few weeks later that job ended, and I went to a new job in Wisconsin for a month.That job lasted 4 weeks and I headed for home. My 2nd or 3rd day at home I got a large envelope from the Postal Service.
Inside that envelope was the envelope that I'd bought and sent from Athens Alabama, nearly 3 months before. The envelope I sent had just my wife's first name on it. Beside that there was a red stamp of a finger pointing at my wife's name and the words "Insufficient Address". The envelope had been opened, and they had checked the contents for an address to send it to. The check was in the envelope I'd bought.

All this to say that if there's any way possible, they'll get it to you. Until 4 years ago, my last living aunt addressed my mail like this;

My name
Rural route
Dixon Il.

Always arrived promptly...
75 yard walk to the mailbox, rural route
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pretty Lynn, that corn looks lush and green. Now I'll have to find some sunsets. laugh

Wabi,

Another sunset picture for you, it was taken a little later in the evening than the one above, a little deeper into the field, and a little higher in the sky smile

Lynn

Wow!
Just like my location say, in the town that Del Shanon made famous.
I live in a small town in Wyoming. Get my mail delivered to my mailbox out on the curb 25 feet from my door. USPS, Fedex and Big Brown are all excellent, no complaints whatsoever.
Wabigoon: I live in the largest (by far!) county in Montana!
The whole huge county (one of the largest in America!) only has 9,200 people in it when I retired and moved here 23 years ago.
It still has just 9,200 people in it!
The nearest town to me (2 1/2 miles) has 4,200 people in it with a nice new hospital and lots of Doctors who came here sick of city life and the problems therein.
The next largest "town" in this huge county has 325 people in it!
I love country living, and absolutely love "country people"!
I would NEVER move back to a city or an urban area.
PERIOD!
Learned that "life lesson" the long and hard way.
My mailbox is at the end of my drive 0.7 miles from my home at the intersection with the county road - its a wonderful walk to fetch the mail each afternoon early evening.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

We’re actually on a mail route, though the box is 1/2 mile away. The little (tiny) settlement we live near, doesn’t have a post office, though it once did. I use two ways to describe our little town(?). “It once was just a spot in the road....then they moved the road”! When I tell folks we’re we live, I respond with, “ Winchester, Wyoming......well not downtown, we’re out in the suburbs”! memtb
It's told there is a post office in the Grand Canyon, the mail comes, and goes by pack mule, the winds make using a helicopter impossible. Know that is rural delivery.

Yes there is.
Carpio, ND got it's name in the 1800s when NP railroad parked a car on a siding there to serve as a PO for the locals. There was nothing out there but miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. That's pretty rural - or was then.

10 miles from house to PO in Soldotna, where we maintain a box. Could get one where we hit the blacktop, about 2 miles away, but why bother? We would still have to go to town to get pkgs... Or Sterling PO- about 5 miles away toward Anchorage.

We don't need to obsessively get mail every day. Box fills up after a week or so (80-90% junk) , and they do get cranky when that happens. smile

Finally got the new hires in the PO (It isn't large....) to stop sending our mail back if IT DIDN'T HAVE A STREET ADDRESS!

I'm sure they went thru a lot of resumes to find those two...

On the other hand their boss told me a work-around for places Outside that don't ship to Alaska PO boxes. Street address and "Unit XXX"

It works.

Supai, AZ

Also, at Phantom Ranch, the mail is delivered to the canteen, by mule train, from the Grand Canyon Post Office, 9 miles away (Grand Canyon, AZ)

you can send a postcard or letter out, and there is a rubber stamp (mailed by mule from the bottom of the Grand Canyon)

at Supai, the actual PO is in the Canyon.
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I can see my dog running away from home for the first three days.

lol
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles? smile
We're on a motor route. I don't live in the town that it says on my mailing address. I'm in the town next to it but that town's post office is closer so my mail has to come through the nearest post office.
© 24hourcampfire