-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in a small town in Wyoming. Get my mail delivered to my mailbox out on the curb 25 feet from my door. USPS, Fedex and Big Brown are all excellent, no complaints whatsoever.

[Linked Image]
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Wabigoon: I live in the largest (by far!) county in Montana!
The whole huge county (one of the largest in America!) only has 9,200 people in it when I retired and moved here 23 years ago.
It still has just 9,200 people in it!
The nearest town to me (2 1/2 miles) has 4,200 people in it with a nice new hospital and lots of Doctors who came here sick of city life and the problems therein.
The next largest "town" in this huge county has 325 people in it!
I love country living, and absolutely love "country people"!
I would NEVER move back to a city or an urban area.
PERIOD!
Learned that "life lesson" the long and hard way.
My mailbox is at the end of my drive 0.7 miles from my home at the intersection with the county road - its a wonderful walk to fetch the mail each afternoon early evening.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

We’re actually on a mail route, though the box is 1/2 mile away. The little (tiny) settlement we live near, doesn’t have a post office, though it once did. I use two ways to describe our little town(?). “It once was just a spot in the road....then they moved the road”! When I tell folks we’re we live, I respond with, “ Winchester, Wyoming......well not downtown, we’re out in the suburbs”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's told there is a post office in the Grand Canyon, the mail comes, and goes by pack mule, the winds make using a helicopter impossible. Know that is rural delivery.

Yes there is.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Carpio, ND got it's name in the 1800s when NP railroad parked a car on a siding there to serve as a PO for the locals. There was nothing out there but miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. That's pretty rural - or was then.

10 miles from house to PO in Soldotna, where we maintain a box. Could get one where we hit the blacktop, about 2 miles away, but why bother? We would still have to go to town to get pkgs... Or Sterling PO- about 5 miles away toward Anchorage.

We don't need to obsessively get mail every day. Box fills up after a week or so (80-90% junk) , and they do get cranky when that happens. smile

Finally got the new hires in the PO (It isn't large....) to stop sending our mail back if IT DIDN'T HAVE A STREET ADDRESS!

I'm sure they went thru a lot of resumes to find those two...

On the other hand their boss told me a work-around for places Outside that don't ship to Alaska PO boxes. Street address and "Unit XXX"

It works.

Last edited by las; 07/18/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's told there is a post office in the Grand Canyon, the mail comes, and goes by pack mule, the winds make using a helicopter impossible. Know that is rural delivery.

Supai, AZ

Also, at Phantom Ranch, the mail is delivered to the canteen, by mule train, from the Grand Canyon Post Office, 9 miles away (Grand Canyon, AZ)

you can send a postcard or letter out, and there is a rubber stamp (mailed by mule from the bottom of the Grand Canyon)

at Supai, the actual PO is in the Canyon.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I can see my dog running away from home for the first three days.

lol
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We're on a motor route. I don't live in the town that it says on my mailing address. I'm in the town next to it but that town's post office is closer so my mail has to come through the nearest post office.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,233
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.