Home
I was named after my father, Donald, I go by my middle name, Richard. I don't know where the Richard came from, they must have known I was going to be lion hearted. laugh
Jim (James) from my uncle on my father's side. Middle name which is a closely guarded secret is the first name of both of my grandfathers.
First name, my Dad, middle name, maternal Great Grandpa.
Posted By: JDK Re: Who were you named after, for? - 07/20/20
Jack Daniels.

Thankfully Dad didn't drink Old Crow.

Named after my grandfather who passed 2 years before I was born.
Posted By: efw Re: Who were you named after, for? - 07/20/20
My parents had a professor in the college where they met who they had a great deal of admiration for. He had a heart attack just before I was born and was in the s hospital when I was born, so he was first non-family member to hold me. His name was Perl Francis and my middle name is Francis. When I complained about about having a girls middle name they asked me if he was worth naming a child after and I had to agree, and when they told me his first name (I knew him as “Mr.Pickett” I said I was ok with Francis.

My first name is random, but my great grand father, great uncle, father, and son all have the same initials (EFW) which is kinda cool.
I am named after my paternal great grandfather, paternal grandfather and my father, so I am the IV (fourth). It stops with me, though, as I have no male heirs--just two wonderful daughters!
Reading my question, should I have said, 'Whom"? I'm not so good with those.
I was named for my grandfather.

Funny story. We were getting new photocopiers at our office and the President of the small company came to make the pitch. After she was finished we were chatting and she said "Wanna - my grandather's name was Wanna".

I said "So was mine."

She said "Last name was Bebwana."

I said "So was mine."

Her: "Grandmother was Maria."

"So was mine."

Turns out her grandparents emigrated from the same village in Transylvania that mine did, at around the same time. Mine settled in small farming town, hers settled in small tobacco town 50 miles away.

The village only had about 6 family names, so we're related somewhere way back.
Mine's rather obvious, don't you think. My father, around the time I was born.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
When meeting a jungle safari group they asked Tarzan who the woman was.
Jane

Jane who?

Jane

Err, no my good man. What is her whole name?

Hole name, pussy .
Great, Great Grandfather, James Craig Taylor, Confederate and U.S. Army Captain in both at one time or another.

All Taylors going back as far the late 1600's have either James, Craig, Robert or Creede as one of their names or a combination of both.
I'm Craig
Named for my dads uncle—a rather famous taxidermist.
Mickey Mantle
John Holmes.
The commander of the D-day invasion and later President of the United States.
Posted By: las Re: Who were you named after, for? - 07/20/20
I dunno, but he must have gotten around. There were 13 in my first grade class , 5 of us with the same first name. And not one Lawrence among us, so it couldn't have been Welk.

One poor bastid didn't even have a middle name...
The archangel.
I have two names...one in English, the other in Hebrew. My English name was picked by my dad in honor of General MacArthur. My dad came to the US fleeing from Nazi Germany and when he turned 18 (1946), he enlisted and was sent to Japan as part of the Army of Occupation. My dad so loved the US and what MacArthur did, he named me for him (Marc Arthur, not MacArthur, but close enough).

My Hebrew name is based on deceased relatives.
I was named after my grandfather, My boy was named after my grandfather as was my dad.

My dad was a Senior.
I was a Junior.
My boy was a Junior, Junior.

Now I am a Senior, Lost two good men we did.
A Roman Catholic priest, who last I heard from him in the late 1980s, was a Monsignor. He'd be pretty old today, if still amongst us.
I was the fourth Charles in a row. Grandad went by a nickname, Dad used his middle name as did I. That caused me all kinds of problems and embarrassment through grammar school. Constantly having to ask how to fill out forms asking for my first name. Hell, even my Social Security, and Blue Cross Insurance cards cause issues to this day.

My son was named Michael, much to the chagrine of my Dad and Grandfather. Enough was enough!
My uncle and I were both named after the same person, though most would think I was named after my uncle. There were three of us cousins named after uncles, The oldest of us didn't appreciate being called baby Dale. I didn't mind the baby Ray as a kid.
Well my mother said i was named after Pope Gregory/Saint Gregory. I don't think i have lived up the high standard
expected..:)
Roger after my father and Vincent after my grandfather on my mom's side.
Originally Posted by JDK
Jack Daniels.

Thankfully Dad didn't drink Old Crow.

Fellow at our range is named Johnny Walker. Real name, not a nickname.
I was named after Robert E Lee

Happy Trails

Bob
David, the giant slayer. 1 Samuel chapter 17
My Uncle Theodore who died in combat in WWII.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture uncle teds metals (2).jpg
My Mom had picked out the name Jody if I was a boy, but Dad’s Mom, my Gramma, argued for 9 months to name me Reon. Gramma won out.
She always said Reon Taylor was a School Teacher she had. Dad said he thought it was an old flame. Who knows?
7mm
First name means marksman/spear thrower. Second name means nail/peg/stud. Wish't I'd know'd that as a kid!

Barry Nagel

Before the edit spear chucker was assigned [bleep.] Did grow up in Africa, but was never called "bleep."
Americo-African here.

God bless Texas!
I'm the 4th generation of HRH initials. All on my dads side. My two uncles are HRH also. Middle name came from maternal grandpa.
Named after a favorite uncle. His given name was Martin but everyone called him Uncle Mart. Close friends and family call me Mart. My nephews all call me Uncle Mart. Seems to be a family moniker.
My paternal grandfather Vincento, He brought the entire family over from Italy.
As far as I can figure I was named after my dad's favorite sister's husband Kenneth. He was quite a beer drinker and I guess I turned out like him.
I am sure my folks wouldn't have named me after him if they had known how I would turn out in high school!! smirk
I still like beer quite well, but not to excess(well maybe sometimes)!
My middle name is "Ellsworth." Until a few years ago we had no idea where it came from. Yes, My grandfather was named Ellsworth. He was named for his father, Elmer Ellsworth. We always figured it was a Welsh family name. We were wrong.

from a post long ago:

Back to Leander

I was reading this book by a guy named Stillwell who had been a private in the Union Army at Shiloh. I had a great-great grandfather at Shiloh. We found him a few years ago, working on the family history. We had always figured he had been in the 72nd Ohio Infantry. However there was also a possibility that he had been in the artillery, based on the family anecdotes. While I was reading Stillwell’s book, I got to thinking about Great-Great Gramps, and I decided to dig him up online. Funny, but the 72nd Ohio Infantry did have a Lewis Davidson Williams in its rolls, but he had died in Feb ’62 of disease while still in camp. Mine? He had gone on to serve throughout the war and had come home in 65 to see my Great Grandfather, Elmer Ellsworth Williams, who had been born shortly after Lewis had left to join up. My Grandfather was named Ellsworth. My middle name is Ellsworth. We are all named for Colonel Elmer Ellsworth, an early Union martyr.

The Death of Ellsworth

Here’s the whole story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_E._Ellsworth
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Lewis lived into the 20th Century. As best we can tell, Lewis’s fervor caused him to run out on his pregnant wife and join up, declaring that (should it be a boy child) the baby should be named Elmer Ellsworth.

Now we did manage to see deer yesterday. All told, Angus and I saw about a dozen. There were two small bucks in the mix. They were not what Angus was interested in shooting. We felt we had been successful, even though there was nothing on the meat pole at the end of the day. In the meantime, not only had I been reading a nice book about the Civil War, not only had I solved a mystery about my Great Great Grandfather but before the last bunch of doe came out into the pasture, I happened across this gem from Leander Stillwell’s description of the first day at Shiloh:

There was a battery of light artillery on this line, about a quarter of a mile to our right, on a slight elevation of the ground. It was right flush up with the infantry line of battle, and oh, how those artillery men handled their guns! It seemed to me that there was the roar of a cannon from that battery about every other second. When ramming cartridge, I sometimes glanced in that direction. The men were big fellows, stripped to the waist, their white skins flashing in the sunlight, and they were working like I have seen men doing when fighting a big fire in the woods. I fairly gloated over the fire of that battery. “Give it to them, my sons of thunder!” I would say to myself; “Knock the ever-lastin’ stuffin’ out of ’em!” And, as I ascertained after the battle, they did do frightful execution.

Now it just so happens that the Williams are about as pasty a group of people as you will ever see– pasty and big. My grandfather, Ellsworth, acquired the nickname “Whitey.” He played Basketball for Ohio State. I’m similarly afflicted, although by the end of summer, I do acquire somewhat of a tan as the freckles grow a bit closer together. One thing is for sure: a fellow with that sort of complexion would have been noticeably white that early in the season of 1862. I am hoping I will be able to find what battery of artillery that might have been. Perhaps I will find Great-Great Grandpa at last.

General Douglas McArthur
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Happy Trails

Bob

Aren’t you wishing...You were named after the rectal orifice your mom dropped you out of.

😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Happy Trails

Bob

Aren’t you wishing...You were named after the rectal orifice your mom dropped you out of.

😎

TFF !
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
Well my mother said i was named after Pope Gregory/Saint Gregory. I don't think i have lived up the high standard
expected..:)

Small world I say, Greg.

I was named after Bishop Desmond Tu Tu, thus The Tootster.
I was named after my Great GrandFather a old time Horse back Doc back in Tenn.Dr John Brake
both of my grandfathers.
[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]
My Grandfather and so on....first born male, Italian blood
Born n' raise East coast Irish Catholic, I was named Stephen after St Stephen, the first Christian martyr...
I have the same issue as naha mitch. ..
When I arrived in 1950 dad wanted to name me Cornelius. Mom didn't like it. I wound up as Glenn..... ( both my parents were big fans of Glenn Miller during WW2 ). They had been undecided about a middle name until the day I was born. Which happened on my uncle Jim's birthday. Hence my middle name James.
Posted By: EdM Re: Who were you named after, for? - 07/20/20
I am named after the doctor that delivered me. My mother lost two before me and was not to have another. I came out OK. We was a very close friend of the family.
First name after Maternal grandfather. Middle name after Paternal grandfather...
Dunno. The milkman, maybe?

No one in my family, before or since has the same name. Good riddance.
Terry and the Pirates (Comic Strip)
I’m named after my dad’s brother, KIA on New Guinea, 6 June 1944.
First name cause it was popular at the time and has a Scot Connection. Middle is Donald after my father also a Scot name. Kinda odd cause the Scots are the illegitemit part of the family.
Im a Jr as well for those that already know my first name.
Joshua. Dad says Biblical, Mom says character on a 80s soap opera.... kinda funny to me either way, aint too sure I fit either of those descriptions.
General Douglas MacArthur of WWII fame. I was born in 1944
Name after maternal and paternal great-grandfathers.
First name is drawn from my Dad's little brother who drowned as a boy as well as having a Saint tie in for my Mom.
Middle name is my paternal Grandfather's first name. Nobody ever used it (everyone called him Porky) and it's as important to me as my last name now.
Deborah Lynn Veronica, I have been told I was named after the last three girlfriends my father had before he married my Mom.

I recently found out that I had an Aunt Veronica who died at the age of three, I suspect that explains the last name more so than the girlfriend idea.

Lynn
My Grandfather and his brother!!
Thanks' all, it's interesting.
I am a Jr. First name is grandmothers' maiden name, second is Granddads' second...............
Surname traced back to John Maynard of Cambridgeshire, England. Came to this country during the Second Migration 1634............
I don't know who I was named after, but apparently they named a saint after me.
I was named after a F15. shocked
My first name was drawn from a hat. My middle name was the same as my Father. My last name was the name of my fathers.
First name-maternal grandfather, middle name-paternal grandfather.

My grandson has my first as his middle name.
16 time world champion
My first name was a name my Mother could get my Dad to agree on. My middle name is my Dad's first name.
Jeremiah Johnson, never saw the movie but I’ve lived a lot on my life in the woods from childhood on and even now sneak off whenever I can to the solitude of the gorge I live in if Im not traveling for work. I’m fairly certain the movie was Robert Redford in the wilderness. I’ve been meaning to watch it.
Interesting one, my 8 yo’s middle name is Evard. It’s not a real name. First flag over Guadalcanal was a tiny backpack flag my Wife’s great uncle flew and was recognized by the army. He enlisted under age and Marines wouldn’t take him but the Army changed his name from Jenkin to “Evard J.” He did 2-3 years then the Marines enlisted him at 18. Pretty cool story about him and his wife when he had lost most recollection he still remembered Armistice day. Probably google it, Jenkin Schnell “Uncle Jenks” and his wife Myrtle. It was a nice article. Pease Airforce base recognized the Flag they hung wasn’t the first In a correspondence to me but with most of the family not knowing I thanked them for confirming and let it go. Another brave soldier’s family has a memorial that means a lot to them. No point in muddying either heroes memory now. His mother had sewn the flag on his pack when he left. Imagine that today, a 15 year old heading to war and his mother being that supportive. We need more men like that today.
Ok......
My dear old going nowhere in life dad named me after the star of his favorite cowboy show in the late 50,s and early 60,s

Show called: "The Texan".

Gee thanks dad....
Name me after a felon turned actor.

4 letter name ......

Loved by few.
Hated by many.
Forgotten by none......
Of those who have met and interacted with me.

My grandfather actually thougt so little of my dad( I concured)
that he asked me to change my last name to Morrison when I would turn 18. And he would pay for it.
He never said that to my brother.
We both knew he was a mini me ......

I didnt do it.
But understood his thinking 100%
I don’t know, no people left alive to ask.
A cousin, never knew why.
Middle name from Dads half brother.
If he knew what would happen after his passing, Dad wouldn't have done that.

I prefer to think I was named after Robert E Lee's estate. wink
Named after my great, great, great grandfather.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My parents didn't have much imagination. I was named after Douglas County Kansas where I was born. The first Douglas in my family lineage.
Originally Posted by lastround
General Douglas MacArthur of WWII fame. I was born in 1944

That is where I got my middle name.

I found out about 8 years ago that my 6 grade teacher named his son after me. That was quite a surprise.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ok......
My dear old going nowhere in life dad named me after the star of his favorite cowboy show in the late 50,s and early 60,s

Gee thanks dad....

4 letter name ......

Loved by few.
Hated by many.
Forgotten by none......

that he asked me to change my last name to Morrison when I would turn 18. And he would pay for it.

I didnt do it.

Thank God it wasn’t Buffalo Bob
Parents became devoted Christians soon after they married - so for the firstborn they chose names of two biblical figures important to them - one also being the first name of my maternal grandfather.
First and last, from dad and his dad. Middle, after a friend of the family, and my disfunctioal parents got the spelling wrong, going for the common rather than the unique. Fugged me from the beginning... Up until about 3.5 years ago I went by my miss-intended middle name finally got tired of explaining why I am not using my first name. So now I am me and I have never been Normand.

Just to complicate life I gave my first daughter five names and my second one four. Have a grandson now with four also, however, they are correctly spelled.

Made up a new one, Novi, for my youngest. Then we moved to Montana next to my folks and rummaging through their junk, they had an intercom system that had the brand name Novi on it. Trippy.
John Wesley Hardin

I named myself.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
First and last, from dad and his dad. Middle, after a friend of the family, and my disfunctioal parents got the spelling wrong, going for the common rather than the unique. Fugged me from the beginning... Up until about 3.5 years ago I went by my miss-intended middle name finally got tired of explaining why I am not using my first name. So now I am me and I have never been Normand.

Just to complicate life I gave my first daughter five names and my second one four. Have a grandson now with four also, however, they are correctly spelled.

Made up a new one, Novi, for my youngest. Then we moved to Montana next to my folks and rummaging through their junk, they had an intercom system that had the brand name Novi on it. Trippy.

Misspelled and made up names, a pet peave.
What thee hell are people thinking when they do this to a kid.

My name is not common, but it's not unusual. However,
My dad used the German spelling, so it often gets spelled wrong.
If it's important, I say, "Karl with a "K". Otherwise, who cares.
With a German derived last name, I have to photenitically spell
it.

Real names, spelled correctly, why do people intentionally screw
this up?

Dam desperate for attention!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

it.

this up?

If you were a normal Carl like me, you'd understand...
Five pages and no Boy named Sue references.
I was named after Clark Gable, as was Clark Kent.
No 7&1/2 either. laugh
First, after my maternal GF, middle was also my father's middle name he never used, last, of course was my Father's. Since my GF was always called "James, Jim, Jimmy", I only used it in my signature. My middle name was an old Irish generational name spelled old style, "Prentice". Since Texans do not pronounce the "T", It was pronounce "Preniss". So all my young life I had to deal with crap being called "Preston, Princess, Premise, Penis..and so on. When I went in the Army, I went by "Jim". Still do. ha Only my family and a few good friends call me the "P" word. so, when my twin daughters cam along, I gave them their "own names". Nothing hard to pronounce or spell out for strangers, ha. Just a quirk of mine. As hard of a time I had choosing those names, I don't know how some of the Black culture comes up with these names! ha But hey, it's their business, right?
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ok......

Gee thanks dad....

4 letter name ......

Loved by few.
Hated by many.
Forgotten by none......

I didnt do it.

Thank God it wasn’t Buffalo Bob

Emil
or
Howdy

I can hang with what I got I geuss.....

Lol!!
My first name, James, is for my paternal grandfather. My middle name, Leon, is my dad's middle name.
Had a black dude in a unit one time.

Named
Claub...

LOL!!!

He told us his parents were too cheap to change the typo on his BC to Claude.

Met a Navy Seal named Buffalo Bill, big tuff lookin guy. Rio7

Was born a blue baby, back in those day's few blue baby's lived, started out as Baby Blue, then Blue Boy then Blue, Not as bad as Sue, but close. Rio7
Good stuff, Blue. Sure glad you made it.

My boy is named Sue.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

it.

this up?

If you were a normal Carl like me, you'd understand...

I am a normal Karl.

The Carl, came later! grin

It's a weird thing. A normal name, that's not often used.

We have three at our little country church.
Only 1 K.

An old friend of my Dad, and his great-grandson.
That kid....
Drives me nuts at functions. Someone is always hollering his name.
Of course, I always snap to. Then they talk to the old man.
Perk up, look around. Neck gets stiff.
Speaking of spelling........

I am a Eugene, but go by Gene..........

At restaurants when waiting, 'can I have your name?' ........ 'Gene' ...... 'is that with a J or a G?' .... While I appreciate the 'care' and 'honor' to get anothers' name right,1st - I am clearly a man, 2nd - when you holler it over the intercom, does it sound different based on how you spell it????

So now I just say BOB!
I use my first name for anything like that, even if they ask for the first.
It's easier.
Karl is a surname here, so it works. And like you spelling don't matter.

Be weird to be Tom Smith, or Bob Miller. (I know them)
Some things would go much smoother.

My wife's whole first name essentially was the same as her shortened
first, middle, and last name. That created issues.
© 24hourcampfire