Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A Roman Catholic priest, who last I heard from him in the late 1980s, was a Monsignor. He'd be pretty old today, if still amongst us.

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I was the fourth Charles in a row. Grandad went by a nickname, Dad used his middle name as did I. That caused me all kinds of problems and embarrassment through grammar school. Constantly having to ask how to fill out forms asking for my first name. Hell, even my Social Security, and Blue Cross Insurance cards cause issues to this day.

My son was named Michael, much to the chagrine of my Dad and Grandfather. Enough was enough!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My uncle and I were both named after the same person, though most would think I was named after my uncle. There were three of us cousins named after uncles, The oldest of us didn't appreciate being called baby Dale. I didn't mind the baby Ray as a kid.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Well my mother said i was named after Pope Gregory/Saint Gregory. I don't think i have lived up the high standard
expected..:)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Roger after my father and Vincent after my grandfather on my mom's side.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK
Jack Daniels.

Thankfully Dad didn't drink Old Crow.

Fellow at our range is named Johnny Walker. Real name, not a nickname.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was named after Robert E Lee

Happy Trails

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
David, the giant slayer. 1 Samuel chapter 17

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Uncle Theodore who died in combat in WWII.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
uncle teds metals (2).jpg (20.9 KB, 157 downloads)

Ted
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Mom had picked out the name Jody if I was a boy, but Dad’s Mom, my Gramma, argued for 9 months to name me Reon. Gramma won out.
She always said Reon Taylor was a School Teacher she had. Dad said he thought it was an old flame. Who knows?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
First name means marksman/spear thrower. Second name means nail/peg/stud. Wish't I'd know'd that as a kid!

Barry Nagel

Before the edit spear chucker was assigned [bleep.] Did grow up in Africa, but was never called "bleep."
Americo-African here.

God bless Texas!

Last edited by agazain; 07/20/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the 4th generation of HRH initials. All on my dads side. My two uncles are HRH also. Middle name came from maternal grandpa.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Named after a favorite uncle. His given name was Martin but everyone called him Uncle Mart. Close friends and family call me Mart. My nephews all call me Uncle Mart. Seems to be a family moniker.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My paternal grandfather Vincento, He brought the entire family over from Italy.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as I can figure I was named after my dad's favorite sister's husband Kenneth. He was quite a beer drinker and I guess I turned out like him.
I am sure my folks wouldn't have named me after him if they had known how I would turn out in high school!! smirk
I still like beer quite well, but not to excess(well maybe sometimes)!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My middle name is "Ellsworth." Until a few years ago we had no idea where it came from. Yes, My grandfather was named Ellsworth. He was named for his father, Elmer Ellsworth. We always figured it was a Welsh family name. We were wrong.

from a post long ago:

Back to Leander

I was reading this book by a guy named Stillwell who had been a private in the Union Army at Shiloh. I had a great-great grandfather at Shiloh. We found him a few years ago, working on the family history. We had always figured he had been in the 72nd Ohio Infantry. However there was also a possibility that he had been in the artillery, based on the family anecdotes. While I was reading Stillwell’s book, I got to thinking about Great-Great Gramps, and I decided to dig him up online. Funny, but the 72nd Ohio Infantry did have a Lewis Davidson Williams in its rolls, but he had died in Feb ’62 of disease while still in camp. Mine? He had gone on to serve throughout the war and had come home in 65 to see my Great Grandfather, Elmer Ellsworth Williams, who had been born shortly after Lewis had left to join up. My Grandfather was named Ellsworth. My middle name is Ellsworth. We are all named for Colonel Elmer Ellsworth, an early Union martyr.

The Death of Ellsworth

Here’s the whole story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_E._Ellsworth
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Lewis lived into the 20th Century. As best we can tell, Lewis’s fervor caused him to run out on his pregnant wife and join up, declaring that (should it be a boy child) the baby should be named Elmer Ellsworth.

Now we did manage to see deer yesterday. All told, Angus and I saw about a dozen. There were two small bucks in the mix. They were not what Angus was interested in shooting. We felt we had been successful, even though there was nothing on the meat pole at the end of the day. In the meantime, not only had I been reading a nice book about the Civil War, not only had I solved a mystery about my Great Great Grandfather but before the last bunch of doe came out into the pasture, I happened across this gem from Leander Stillwell’s description of the first day at Shiloh:

There was a battery of light artillery on this line, about a quarter of a mile to our right, on a slight elevation of the ground. It was right flush up with the infantry line of battle, and oh, how those artillery men handled their guns! It seemed to me that there was the roar of a cannon from that battery about every other second. When ramming cartridge, I sometimes glanced in that direction. The men were big fellows, stripped to the waist, their white skins flashing in the sunlight, and they were working like I have seen men doing when fighting a big fire in the woods. I fairly gloated over the fire of that battery. “Give it to them, my sons of thunder!” I would say to myself; “Knock the ever-lastin’ stuffin’ out of ’em!” And, as I ascertained after the battle, they did do frightful execution.

Now it just so happens that the Williams are about as pasty a group of people as you will ever see– pasty and big. My grandfather, Ellsworth, acquired the nickname “Whitey.” He played Basketball for Ohio State. I’m similarly afflicted, although by the end of summer, I do acquire somewhat of a tan as the freckles grow a bit closer together. One thing is for sure: a fellow with that sort of complexion would have been noticeably white that early in the season of 1862. I am hoping I will be able to find what battery of artillery that might have been. Perhaps I will find Great-Great Grandpa at last.

Last edited by shaman; 07/20/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
General Douglas McArthur

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Happy Trails

Bob

Aren’t you wishing...You were named after the rectal orifice your mom dropped you out of.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Happy Trails

Bob

Aren’t you wishing...You were named after the rectal orifice your mom dropped you out of.

😎

TFF !

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
Well my mother said i was named after Pope Gregory/Saint Gregory. I don't think i have lived up the high standard
expected..:)

Small world I say, Greg.

I was named after Bishop Desmond Tu Tu, thus The Tootster.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.