Home
Posted By: Burleyboy Huckleberries - 07/29/20
We had our best day of huckleberry picking ever today. There was a light rain going on so we were all soaked but the berries were everywhere. We were just above Kelly canyon ski resort. We parked the truck, walked about 10 feet off the road, and berries were everywhere.

My wife and I and 3 kids 8 and under picked over 1/2 gallon in less then an hour. I have a hard time physically bending down to pick them and our kids ate more then they put in the bucket but we still came out ok. Every Bush was loaded. We just had huckleberry waffles with whipped cream for dinner.

You honestly couldn't walk 5 feet without getting into more berries. If it wasn't for the rain the kids would have wanted to stay longer and we could have easily netted a gallon. Huckleberry shakes are on the menu for snacks later.

Bb
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Love them. Wish we were further west where we could pick some ourselves.

As it is, I was in western Montana a couple weeks ago and bought 3 gallon bags of hucks.

My wife makes me a huck pie every once in a while. When I come home off the road and there's apie, I know I either really did something spectacular to deserve it, or my wife is wanting something.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Bumper crop of berries out here too lots of rain in June and most of July with enough showing of the sun to make things happen. Salmon berries and thimble berries are done but I noticed some hucks coming on recently and the wild blackberries have gone supercharged vines bent over just loaded, another couple weeks they’ll be ready. Not seeing many bears lately don’t think they need to move a hundred feet in a day to get fed 👍
Posted By: EdM Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Nothing ready on the property yet. Maybe another couple of weeks before we head out.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Cool
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Wish we had the blue huckleberries here, but we had our best berry picking two weekends ago on the red version, but the real prize was black caps. Holy Smokes, good year for berries here too!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Im your huckleberry

Bob
Posted By: slumlord Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
lol
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Im your huckleberry

Bob

Slummy ain’t a f a g

Go play Dick touch with your brother Tom

😎
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
My dad had a very large huckleberry bush growing on his back yard fence line in Mississippi. No telling how old it was, had to be 4-5” at the base. He cut it off about head high and grafted a blueberry to it. Made the biggest ass blueberry bush (more like a tree) I’ve ever seen. We would take a ladder in the summer and pick blueberries by the gallon off that thing.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
I love huckleberries

Miss being up in Idaho or Montana picking them with family
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Grew up with only blue ones then lived on the coast where there was only red ones. Got m both here though 😎 I like them both. But the blues are bigger sweeter and there’s way more on a bush normally
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Burley Boy, my next door neighbor's wife makes fantastic huckleberry jelly. She and her family go up to the mountains and pick a bunch of them and she makes jelly and cans it. She always give me a jar. Some of the best jelly I've ever had. Spread it on freshly buttered hot biscuits and it is mighty tasty. grin

L.W.
Posted By: Steve Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Nothing better than a huckleberry pie. Still a bit early for our spot, yet.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
We were just above Kelly canyon ski resort.
Now you dunnit. You told 5000 24hr members just where to go. Next year there'll be cars lined up clear to Idaho Falls.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Yep, good year for them.
The wife has been heading out the door at 7:30 am each morning and comes home with about a gallon. She's freezing them and stacking them in the freezer, more larder for the coming zombie apocalypse..
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Huckleberries - 07/29/20
Been so dry here I'm thinking that we'll not even have a decent crop of wild plums.
© 24hourcampfire