Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
We had our best day of huckleberry picking ever today. There was a light rain going on so we were all soaked but the berries were everywhere. We were just above Kelly canyon ski resort. We parked the truck, walked about 10 feet off the road, and berries were everywhere.

My wife and I and 3 kids 8 and under picked over 1/2 gallon in less then an hour. I have a hard time physically bending down to pick them and our kids ate more then they put in the bucket but we still came out ok. Every Bush was loaded. We just had huckleberry waffles with whipped cream for dinner.

You honestly couldn't walk 5 feet without getting into more berries. If it wasn't for the rain the kids would have wanted to stay longer and we could have easily netted a gallon. Huckleberry shakes are on the menu for snacks later.

Bb

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love them. Wish we were further west where we could pick some ourselves.

As it is, I was in western Montana a couple weeks ago and bought 3 gallon bags of hucks.

My wife makes me a huck pie every once in a while. When I come home off the road and there's apie, I know I either really did something spectacular to deserve it, or my wife is wanting something.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bumper crop of berries out here too lots of rain in June and most of July with enough showing of the sun to make things happen. Salmon berries and thimble berries are done but I noticed some hucks coming on recently and the wild blackberries have gone supercharged vines bent over just loaded, another couple weeks they’ll be ready. Not seeing many bears lately don’t think they need to move a hundred feet in a day to get fed 👍

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nothing ready on the property yet. Maybe another couple of weeks before we head out.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cool

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wish we had the blue huckleberries here, but we had our best berry picking two weekends ago on the red version, but the real prize was black caps. Holy Smokes, good year for berries here too!

LOL
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Im your huckleberry

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Im your huckleberry

Bob

Slummy ain’t a f a g

Go play Dick touch with your brother Tom

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My dad had a very large huckleberry bush growing on his back yard fence line in Mississippi. No telling how old it was, had to be 4-5” at the base. He cut it off about head high and grafted a blueberry to it. Made the biggest ass blueberry bush (more like a tree) I’ve ever seen. We would take a ladder in the summer and pick blueberries by the gallon off that thing.

Last edited by CRJ1960; 07/28/20.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I love huckleberries

Miss being up in Idaho or Montana picking them with family

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grew up with only blue ones then lived on the coast where there was only red ones. Got m both here though 😎 I like them both. But the blues are bigger sweeter and there’s way more on a bush normally

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burley Boy, my next door neighbor's wife makes fantastic huckleberry jelly. She and her family go up to the mountains and pick a bunch of them and she makes jelly and cans it. She always give me a jar. Some of the best jelly I've ever had. Spread it on freshly buttered hot biscuits and it is mighty tasty. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing better than a huckleberry pie. Still a bit early for our spot, yet.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We were just above Kelly canyon ski resort.
Now you dunnit. You told 5000 24hr members just where to go. Next year there'll be cars lined up clear to Idaho Falls.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, good year for them.
The wife has been heading out the door at 7:30 am each morning and comes home with about a gallon. She's freezing them and stacking them in the freezer, more larder for the coming zombie apocalypse..

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Been so dry here I'm thinking that we'll not even have a decent crop of wild plums.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.