Home
Posted By: jaguartx Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Obviously shot from a drone. Can I assume they were using it to locate fish?
Posted By: MOGC Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Waiting for the "this is why I kill orcas!"
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
When did the orcas eat?
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Other whales, sharks (including great whites), rays, seals, sea lions, otters, porpoises, dolphins, fish... depending on the pod, where they're at, what's available, transient vs resident pod. They kill pretty much everything except people.
Posted By: las Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Other whales, sharks (including great whites), rays, seals, sea lions, otters, porpoises, dolphins, fish... depending on the pod, where they're at, what's available, transient vs resident pod. They kill pretty much everything except people.

They have been known to try (Scott, in Antarctica, I think?) and who knows? Orca poop don't talk.

We watched a couple orcas take out a grey whale off Point Hope, from the boat, about 50 yards away. Felt kinda sorry for the grey, but that's the way Nature rolls. We didn't feel the need to dive in and try to rescue it..... smile. A couple times we saw greys right up on the beach, partly out of the water, and Orcas or Orca farther out.

IIRC, they have even taken swimming deer and maybe moose in SE Alaska.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Before his rise to fame, Jaws was Chuck Norris's goldfish.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
They have been known to try (Scott, in Antarctica

Yes. Eye balling folks stranded on the ice and coming up through the ice to get at their ponies.

Anyone know the outcome of the video? The youngster was sure staying glued to mom.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
I tell ya what.....this is why I kill whales.........and chinchillas.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Free willy

Horton
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
They kill pretty much everything except people.

unless you name them Tilikum and keep them in a tank at Seaworld
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Before his rise to fame, Jaws was Chuck Norris's goldfish.

LOL
Posted By: reivertom Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
You know there is a Green Peace fanatic someplace that my jump off a bridge after watching this.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Mother Nature is a cruel bitch. Attacking that poor baby whale.

I guess Orcas gotta eat too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Certainly not news on the West coast. One of the biggest threats to juvenile gray whales on their journey N to AK after leaving the lagoons in Mexico.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
[quote=slumlord]Free willy

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
they're called killer whales for a reason.
Posted By: barm Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Not sure if anyone knows or cares, but they are the largest member of the dolphin family and are not actually whales. The sailors used to call them whale killers because they were observed doing such.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
This morning was watching a nature show about Killer Whales. It showed them killing Great White sharks with ease. It also showed how they hunt and kill stingrays with out getting hit by their poisonous barbs. Dang things are smart. Impressive animal.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20

According to the guide on a whale watching tour out of Victoria, there are two species of Orca. One feeds on salmon, the other feeds on seals...and anything else it can get hold of.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by Cretch
This morning was watching a nature show about Killer Whales. It showed them killing Great White sharks with ease. It also showed how they hunt and kill stingrays with out getting hit by their poisonous barbs. Dang things are smart. Impressive animal.

Hammerheads are hell on stingrays too. I wonder if they are immune to the barb hits.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hammerheads are hell on stingrays too. I wonder if they are immune to the barb hits.

It showed the Killer Whale would grab the stingray by the long tail and hold it while another whale would come and eat it from the front. Total team work.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20

It showed the Killer Whale would grab the stingray by the long tail and hold it while another whale would come and eat it from the front. Total team work.

Neat. I wonder if dolphins ever do that?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20

their skin is tough, the barbs don't really hurt them, we've caught them with bards stuck in their mouths.
All right, thanks, Roger. Just hammerheads or other sharks too.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Free willy

What’s president Clinton got to do with this? 😁

Horton
Posted By: slumlord Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20

Wonder if they made it back ok after the tide came in. Probably a somewhat regular event they way they hunt in the shallows.

Sitka....help us our here

Yes, did they survive the crushing weight on their lungs while beached, Sitka?

Dayom. Experience of a lifetime.

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

According to the guide on a whale watching tour out of Victoria, there are two species of Orca. One feeds on salmon, the other feeds on seals...and anything else it can get hold of.

Not two different species, just two different eating styles they stick to very completely. Some pods eat fish and fish only, other pods eat marine mammals only.

Yes, regularly.
Coolest orca story I know happened in the Petersburg AK harbor. A pod of orcas pushed a pod of dolphins into the harbor. There are two entrances and several whales went ahead to guard the far pass while the main pod chased the dolphins into the trap. Some remained at the entrance to keep them from escaping. The main body proceeded to destroy the dolphins and turn the harbor blood red.

The best part though was the huge bull sea lion in the harbor (cannot remember what they named him) that was always aggressive and confrontational toward people and boats. He hid up under the dock and did not come out for a week. He came out a meeker, milder and more gentle lion...

That is a sea lion, not exactly a seal...
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20

Someone is a lot more trusting than I.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Someone is a lot more trusting than I.

Could very well be released whales and a former trainer.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yes, regularly.

Thanks.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
They kill pretty much everything except people.

unless you name them Tilikum and keep them in a tank at Seaworld

Not a single instance in nature, only after keeping a very intelligent animal in a small pool for their whole lives. Orcas are too smart to be penned up.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20

Those are transient pods and resident pods. Residents only eat fish for whatever reason.

That woman has never been safer in the ocean. No shark will ever approach with orcas around. Even great whites leave the area when orcas show up.

Giving a ray a slap to stun it.

Seals can fly

Talk about teamwork (1:15 in)

Tiger sharks are known for their aggression, but aren't chit in comparison

Good info. Thanks.
Posted By: jimone Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
I saw a pod hunting in heavy surf and big rocks off 50 cal beach on Shemya. Impressive to say the least.
Posted By: antlers Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
Orca’s can kill and eat white sharks too. Like an hors d'oeuvre. There’s a good book called ‘The Devil's Teeth’, by Susan Casey. It’s about the big white sharks...the alphas among alphas, some over 20 feet long...off the Farallon Islands 27 miles west of San Francisco. It also describes encounters between orca’s and great white’s.
Posted By: Steve Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/02/20
I remember a video or series of stills of a pod of orcas killing a blue whale. Seems like I remember them tearing off strips of the blue's flesh.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/03/20
For roughly a century there was a relationship between a pod of orcas and the Davidson family at Eden in southern NSW, on the east coast of Australia, for cooperation in the hunting of humpback and other baleen whales. The baleen whales would migrate along the coast each year, and when they were off Eden the orca would go and rouse the family by slapping their tails near the family cottage. They'd lead the whalers in their rowboats out to the prey, and in return the whalers would leave the killed whale out for them to let them eat the tongue, before dragging it ashore for flensing and trying.

This relationship gradually petered out by about 1930, probably as a result of some of the orcas being killed by others, and losing their trust of man, and also a thinning of the numbers of humpback and other baleen wales along the coast due to over-hunting. There's a museum in Eden with a lot of information and memorabilia from this period - whale boats, harpoons, photos etc, and the skeleton of the last of the orcas to participate.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/03/20

Those are transient pods and resident pods. Residents only eat fish for whatever reason.

That is not according to the bios I have spoken to at great length about it. They do move differently as pods but neither one is transient or resident all the time. They each find their course and stick to them in the AK study areas.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/03/20
If a guy has lived on or near the Puget Sound and been out the Strait and up past Vancouver Island - fished/boated/observed those waters over time - this is not news at all.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/04/20
More whale crap.

https://www.news.com.au/national/we...s-story/0bc7aa27999d385fe9430ef1ee01b9e4
Posted By: slumlord Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
If a guy has lived on or near the Puget Sound and been out the Strait and up past Vancouver Island - fished/boated/observed those waters over time - this is not news at all.

that pretty well narrows it down for those on-the- know, even by pinpoint geographical location....for the rest of the planet it’s called “ENTERTAINMENT” and as such, posted to Youtube.

It’s ok for others to ask and comments thereof

Posted By: jaguartx Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/04/20
Yer wife clicked on it, right? smile
Posted By: slumlord Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/04/20
Yer wife clicked on it, right? smile

I got a whale joke for ya but it might not sit well on here with the Cripper Cropper Creek Baptist Church. 😃

Ahhh

you probably already heard it, you racist fugg
Posted By: MAC Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/04/20
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think they call them Killer Whales? I knew they ate other whales by the time I was 5 years old.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Orcas eat whales - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by MAC
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think they call them Killer Whales? I knew they ate other whales by the time I was 5 years old.

Sharks and Whales are the oceans cleanup crew. If it were not for Killer whales and plankton eating whales the ocean would be a disaster.
© 24hourcampfire