Home
Okay, so nobody wants to survive off a few field mice or a handful of mussels for weeks. Obviously, all the contestants would love to score a deer, elk or moose if possible. But after they prepare it, then what? They don't have a freezer. The inside of their shelter needs to stay warm so they don't get hypothermia. They don't have a bunch of containers to stow it in. If it's freezing outside, they could wrap it in something and keep it out side the shelter, but then you have to worry about attracting predators into your area. The only thing I can think of is wrapping it and hoisting it up in a tree and hope birds don't peck away at it. You could smoke as much meat as possible. How long would that last? Would you keep smoked meat inside the shelter or would you worry about the shelter getting ransacked? If you could only keep a portion of the game, what would you personally choose to keep? Versus what you would use for trap bait etc. How would you guys manage such a challenge if you couldn't cut everything up, wrap it good, stow it in bigass igloo coolers until it gets home and in the butchers hand or in your freezer?
duckduck911 is the campfire “Alaska show” expert.

He’ll be along shortly.....
It’s fall in the Arctic. Get the hard protective layer on the meat and it’ll be fine till spring
Watch the season wear the dude killed a wolverine with his hatchet.
Consume as much as you can.....then hibernate, until they come for you! grin Actually, I think cut into several large quantities, freeze, and store as best you can with what you have to work with. Put these in several different locations, hoping that if predators get to it.....they won’t get it all! memtb
I’d think if it’s cold enough just leave it whole with the hide on it, hang it (high) and just let it freeze. Cut off what you want when you want it.
Wonder if you could slow dry/dehydrate it over a fire, grind it up and use any of the bone marrow to make pemmican.
I wouldn’t let it freeze with the hide on it—makes a mess when you try chunk it up later. I would keep the cache in one place—you won’t hide from a scavengers nose and he’ll just track you from cache to cache. I’d smoke and dry as much of it as I could.
You have to give some thought to how a high platform cache is constructed also—hard to make them bear and carcajou proof.
© 24hourcampfire