Home
Posted By: flintlocke Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Cruising the news this morning, I see 38,000# of hamburger destined for the southeast US, from Canada has been recalled. That's only a couple truckloads, but wait, the blurb goes on to state it's "head meat". Is this common? Remove the meat from the skull and grind it into burger? Ummm, do the eyeballs go in a different pile? Ummm, does somebody remove the earwax before the ears are ground up? Nose boogers? Local butcher shop lookin' good.
Good thing deFlavor has gone onto his reward, he would probably have some pretty caustic remarks on this.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
It was probably meant to used to make head cheese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Ground beef recall 2020: JBS Food Canada recalls more than 38,000 pounds of meat

Kelly Tyko

USA TODAY

Ground beef recall 2020: JBS Food Canada recalls more than 38,000 pounds of meat

More than 38,400 pounds of ground beef is being recalled because it was "not presented for import re-inspection into the United States."

The Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced JBS Food Canada ULC is recalling the "raw, frozen, boneless beef head meat items" that were imported on July 13 and "further processed by another company into ground beef products."

According to the recall notice, the recalled meat came in 80-pound boxes with eight 10-pound chubs of "Balter Meat Company 73/27 ground beef" with "Use by/Freeze by" dates of Aug. 9 or Aug. 10 and pack dates of "072020, 072120 or 072220."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...d-inspection-jbs-food-canada/5563680002/

* http://www.baltermeatcompany.com/
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
One 18 wheeler can haul about 45,000 pounds, max. 38,000 pounds would be a typical load for one truck.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
"If you ever watched them make sausage".
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
McDonald's McDoubles come to mind... $1

TWO MEAT PATTIES, a bun, condiments, employee salary, rent, utilities, profit for the franchise owner...

Yeah... I suspect the meat is not +1
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by Paul_M
It was probably meant to used to make head cheese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

No, head meat is used for burgers/grinding.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"If you ever watched them make sausage".

Right ....... Ever eat wieners or bologna or any processed meat for that matter?

Muscle is muscle no matter where it comes from and meat is muscle.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Everything but the oink....(oh, that was for pigs)
Posted By: KFWA Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
from the rooter to the tooter!
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
I had the occasion to work at the Oscar-Mayer processing plant in Chicago more than once in my 40 year electrical career. Each time I asked my wife to please not bring any of their products into our house, but I'm sure they're all the same. Only 2 jobs I ever refused, in my career, was some motor replacements in a through on a screw conveyor in a rendering plant and replacing a limit switch on the rake at a sewer treatment plant. Both jobs seemed about the same to me!
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Dean, I was in industrial electrical contracting also.Logged many hours in a few chicken processing plants.The rendering rooms were akin to something of a nightmare.It wasn’t so much of the fact of getting the chit on you,but it was a long time before I wanted some chicken on my plate again.Same thing with eggs after some time spent in the rendering section of the hatchery.I guess it doesn’t bother some folks,but it changed my perspective on chicken dinners...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Stome Lake , Iowa has two Tyson plants, pork, and turkey, mostly imagrent workers.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by Bull64
Dean, I was in industrial electrical contracting also.Logged many hours in a few chicken processing plants.The rendering rooms were akin to something of a nightmare.It wasn’t so much of the fact of getting the chit on you,but it was a long time before I wanted some chicken on my plate again.Same thing with eggs after some time spent in the rendering section of the hatchery.I guess it doesn’t bother some folks,but it changed my perspective on chicken dinners...

+1
A lot of people used to eat brains...beef brains, pig brains, I don't think chickens have brains.

Modern Standard American Diet of the past 2 generations changed that.
Small old time farmers were known to use about the whole carcass, kind of like the poor indians.
Now there's Mad Cow Disease that makes it illegal in USA to sell the head IF I remember correctly.
Some say its a hoax. I've not been convinced one way or another.
One thing fer sure. The junk big feed lots feed cows is shameful and the meat processing plants will turn your stomach even if you butchered a hundred deer.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by Bull64

At one time my service area included two Purdue chicken processing plants and several hatchery's. The processing plant itself was something but the rendering operation about a half mile behind it was something to behold in the summer time. By rendering, I mean where they cook down everything they couldn't sell. I was told most of the "product" went right back into feed.
Back then it was mostly blacks employed, but even then the Mexicans were starting be hired in good numbers, late 80's-early 90's.
Never stopped eating chicken but did start cleaning up with bleach after cutting them up.
Posted By: Beansnbacon33 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33

Thanks for the visual right before lunch!
Do you want to turn us all into vegetable tarians?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Dont be a pussy

Put some catsup on it and eat it
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
When I was in 7th grade I had the greatest science teacher. One thing he did for us was to take us on a field trip to the local slaughterhouse where we could see how beef and veal were slaughtered. They don’t make teachers like that anymore.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Thanks for the visual right before lunch!
Do you want to turn us all into vegetable tarians?

I'm eating my lunch while I watch it, don't bother me.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Maybe a dog food or soap making operation in the pre-breaker video. Back in the '60's dad got me the worst summer time employment that he could find largely I think to keep me motivated to stay in school. One of those was the local packing house where I got to fill in for guys out sick or on vacation. Washing heads up on the kill floor was memorable and yes, there is a lot of muscle meat on a cow's head and it can and does turn into grinds. What surprised me more than anything was once you hang an animal upside down, what was on the inside wants to get outside with gravity. We killed about 1,200 head a day and those heads came by on a hook and needed to be hosed off. There was a USDA inspector in a white coat over my shoulder pretty often making sure that the green stuff (use your imagination) wasn't on the head after my station. Note to all, cook those burgers.

We dried the blood and it went into a big tank for animal feed supplement. Cleaning the dried blood off the inside of that tank with a shovel was another not so great job or on my back descaling the boiler.

A still warm prime black Angus got gored in transit and died in the truck and I had to skin it because the hide was the only thing we could use from that animal. Worth 5 cents a pound and I rolled it into the bone truck. I should have back strapped that one and paid the nickel a pound price.
Posted By: MAC Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
This is why I try to only eat what I shoot. Haven't bought meat from the store since 1986.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Stome Lake , Iowa has two Tyson plants, pork, and turkey, mostly imagrent workers.

Richard - I migrated over from Albert City to the turkey plant (Vilas at the time) and worked clean-up for three nights before I got a call from Wilson's in Cherokee to come and work there.
[quote=SuperCub} ...
[/quote]

That is a difficult concept for many to grasp.
One of my jobs at the packing plant involved trimming the red meat from the "saddle" that went from ear to ear across the top of the hog's head. The ears had been removed for dog treats before they came to me. The trim that I took off went to the wienie room.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
One 18 wheeler can haul about 45,000 pounds, max. 38,000 pounds would be a typical load for one truck.

When I billed trucks, there was one driver who took drop shipments to California who would take 47,000 - 48,000#. As you said, typical loads ran around 38,000, with Great Dane trailers taking more like 36,000.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
None of y'all ever had cabeza tacos?

Pit roasted overnight steers head...............Yum!
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
I got no problem with the flesh of the skull at all, ate a lot of sheep and lamb head in Basque sheep camp as a kid. I get squeamish with stuff like glands and cerebrospinal fluids and unidentified parts that are utilized from mechanical separation. Sometimes, I guess it's just better not to know.
Posted By: shaman Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
Most of the head meat generated east of the Mississippi gets sent to Cincinnati for making Cincinnati Chili. Head meat is good, but it needs to be cooked longer. It's the only meat out there that will stand up to 27 hours of continuous cooking. Others cuts will disintegrate. I actually prefer Gold Star chili over most of the others for this reason. Gold Star uses the most head meat of any of the major chili operations.

https://www.goldstarchili.com/

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20

Whatever that is, I highly doubt it is for the production of human food.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Whatever that is, I highly doubt it is for the production of human food.

You're probably right if this is an American plant.
Being goat, I have some doubts.
Some guys like the intestine contents, but I always field dress that out before processing game, as you likely do too. Besides those others who eat the pellets, they do add chicken crap to dog food. The urea boosts the nitrogen content.

I don't care about a goat head salami. Maybe that's what the giros are?
I just don't like swallowing a chunk of lead that they put it down with..

PS: my screen is too small. Are those horses?
If so, this definitely ain't america.
That hide is worth way more for leather than dog food.
Besides, they can't sell it for human consumption any more than dog and cat. My bad.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
After I graduated High School I worked a while for my Mothers, first cousin that ran a custom meat processing plant. Part of the price to butcher a beef was that He got to keep the hide and head. When He would get several heads, he would then bone them and use the meat along with pork butts to make sausage. It was really good sausage, and sold quickly when He made a batch. I tried last winter to mimic His Kielbasa using deer meat and pork butt, and it turned out pretty good for my first try. Two of man's sons ate some and thought I was close. In fact, the one from Colorado is supposed to send my His Dad's Kielbasa recipe, and I will do some more. miles
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Nasty burger? - 08/03/20
My Dad was a truck driver for Swift & Co in the East St Louis stockyards. Employees could have "trim" for free. Back then, "trim" included tongue, brains, cheeks, liver, heart, and ribs from beef and pigs. I had a lot of brains and eggs as a kid. Liver, too. But the best was beef tongue. Boiled in salt water, skinned, and then thinly sliced. It's the most delicate, fine-grained meat you can imagine. Possibly the best tasting meat on the animal.

Old Black guys all ran little BBQ shacks. Cinder block and window screening with a hand-painted sign out front "Ribs and Snoots." Low and slow over hickory wood coals, those men were magicians with meat. Ribs and head meat.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My Dad was a truck driver for Swift & Co in the East St Louis stockyards. Employees could have "trim" for free. Back then, "trim" included tongue, brains, cheeks, liver, heart, and ribs from beef and pigs. I had a lot of brains and eggs as a kid. Liver, too. But the best was beef tongue. Boiled in salt water, skinned, and then thinly sliced. It's the most delicate, fine-grained meat you can imagine. Possibly the best tasting meat on the animal.

Old Black guys all ran little BBQ shacks. Cinder block and window screening with a hand-painted sign out front "Ribs and Snoots."

Those parts/ trim cost a premium around here, even though there's not much demand for them. Organs and tongue from beef at least.
As a young boy I wondered what was in the yoder amish market meat case. Mom said it was cow tongue. I thought, "oooohh gross, the part that tastes you back when you eat it!" Then I said, SURE MOM looks gross, but I'll try it!
Friends still think I eat weird food.
I will do the salt soak/ boil and skin it like you say. I was wondering why mine was never tender as moms way of cooking it. Is this to tenderize it?

Question Rocky,
Should I keep the salt water for a broth afterwards, or is the flavor off?

The meat tastes fine, but the reason I ask is that sometimes that's recommended for small game to draw out the gamey flavor before broiling, etc
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
You do not keep the salt water in which you boiled the tongue. It's been over 60 years, so the details are a mite hazy. I do remember that after Mom boiled it and let it cool enough to handle, she removed the outer skin, leaving just the smooth inner muscle. Then sliced it maybe a quarter inch thick, on an angle to get the widest slices. We usually ate it as sandwich meat with a smear of mustard.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
I kill it and bring it home, or raise it right here under my ever watchful eye, GTG! fugg the stores and the trash they push across the meat/deli counter.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
I read the book Fast Food Nation many years ago. I have not eaten certain meat products since. I do my utmost to butcher two deer every year. It gets me by.
You do not keep the salt water in which you boiled the tongue. It's been over 60 years, so the details are a mite hazy. I do remember that after Mom boiled it and let it cool enough to handle, she removed the outer skin, leaving just the smooth inner muscle. Then sliced it maybe a quarter inch thick, on an angle to get the widest slices. We usually ate it as sandwich meat with a smear of mustard.

Thanks!
I'm looking forward to giving that a try.
Our mom's knew how to make real good food that the school lunch kids would never touch. They don't know what they're missing.

My Dr is one of the few that studied nutrition, history, demographics, and how it relates to health challenges.
She is also my teacher.
She found that poor Southerners would eat the whole animal, hocks, ears, brain, etc. This was the key to the outstanding health that they had over the wealthy.
She recommends certain foods to her patients instead of drugs or surgeries. Her results speak for themselves.
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I read the book Fast Food Nation many years ago. I have not eaten certain meat products since. I do my utmost to butcher two deer every year. It gets me by.

I've got that book too.

That venison is gormet free range, organic dark meat.
Better than what's served at the steak houses too.

If you listen to Dr Joel Wallach, he's done autopsies on more animals and people than we'll ever meet. He says that one of the biggest cancer causes are processed meats with nitrates and nitrites.
That's good to know that ounce of prevention that can save someone's life isn't it?
Posted By: Petro Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Lengua tacos are fantastic. I love braised beef tongue. Best beef flavor ever.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by gunner500
I kill it and bring it home, or raise it right here under my ever watchful eye, GTG! fugg the stores and the trash they push across the meat/deli counter.

Same here. We buy chicken but pork and beef is home raised. Couple three deer a year to round it out.

Canned, stored or froze peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, sweet corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Two freezers full.

Maybe paranoid, but I don't trust what's in the food we buy at the store. Don't trust what's in the medicine we take either.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
[quote=SuperCub} ...

That is a difficult concept for many to grasp.[/quote]
But there is a hell of a difference between beef cheeks and rib steaks. I'll let my Mexican friends make tamales out of the beef cheeks. I am going to eat the rib steaks.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Deer meat aint organic.

Nothing that is truly "free range" is organic.

I have also seen enough gut shot, hot assed, tick covered field "dressings" at my time in the slaughterhouse to know that deer hunters are no cleaner than professional meat processors.

If you like venison....eat it. Spare us all the BS justifications.

I like to dip dill pickle chips in ketchup....and you can kiss my ass!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20

Mexicans do it similar.

Quarters onion and some garlic cloves in a pot of salted water. Boil it, then skin it. Sliced or chopped.

Makes killer tacos.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Same here. We buy chicken but pork and beef is home raised. Couple three deer a year to round it out.

Canned, stored or froze peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, sweet corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Two freezers full.

Maybe paranoid, but I don't trust what's in the food we buy at the store. Don't trust what's in the medicine we take either.

I started raising my own beef a few years ago. Love it. If you’ve the room and a way to feed them, I can’t imagine not doing it.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Mexicans do it similar.

Quarters onion and some garlic cloves in a pot of salted water. Boil it, then skin it. Sliced or chopped.

Makes killer tacos.

Thats how we do it.

Last one we did ended up a bit soft. Might try to cook it a little firmer next time.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Deer meat aint organic.

I have also seen enough gut shot, hot assed, tick covered field "dressings" at my time in the slaughterhouse to know that deer hunters are no cleaner than professional meat processors.

LOL! 😂. Oh yeah, it's the "Southern gentleman."

Blahaha! I stay away from those butcher shops you frequent with that filth.
You just described why I don't trust processors any more than the cattle farmers like you. If there's any ranches like yours around, then maybe THAT'S why a hunter has a hard time getting deer that haven't had contaminated feed.
My uncle was a head butcher for his whole life. I paid enough attention to his method to do it right by me.
None of your processors or jack ass attitude farmers for me, "southern gentleman."
Its fine. Your justifications make you happy.

You just dont know your ass from a hot rock.

contaminated feed............classic.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Good thing a southern gentleman like myself has his own walk in cooler, skinning hoist and processing shop onsite

No need to even haul them to a check station either

Kill them 300 yards behind the house, hang them in the walk in an hour later

No tobacco juice, band aids or cigarette ashes flicked.

No flies and no hot carcasses hauled down the interstate from God’s know’s where pay ranch and bait piles.

That makes me a happy camper

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Deer meat aint organic.

Good post.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
What was that old mountain man saying? Something like "meat's meat".
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
So are we now to address Jim as "Southern Gentleman".
South of Canada?

LMAO laugh
Jim,

You're welcome to disagree. We all have different backgrounds. We choose what we want and do what we chose for all kinds of reasons.

I'm just encouraging my fellow hunter, and out of nowhere you tell me to kiss your ass?
You and your buds sound like you're used to getting away with saying things like that unprovoked.
We get a fresh kook weekly now

Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Speaking of pickles, I briefly worked for one of the major pickle makers and what went on there has had me sworn off their products for 38 years. I have no doubt the same went on in the other makers but I didn't work there so don't know for sure.

As for "parts is parts", growing up we used about every part of the cow or pig for something. I didn't care much for brains, organs, nor tripe but the rest of it wasn't bad. Tongue was the surprise for me, it reminded me of dry roast beef without the stringiness. Made into sandwiches with mayo and horseradish it was quite tasty.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Jim,

You're welcome to disagree. We all have different backgrounds. We choose what we want and do what we chose for all kinds of reasons.

I'm just encouraging my fellow hunter, and out of nowhere you tell me to kiss your ass?
You and your buds sound like you're used to getting away with saying things like that unprovoked.

But do you know your ass from a hot rock?
You don't seem to know much geography.
This place needs moderation

people tellin each other to kiss thar ass n stuff

Theys a new sharrif in neez parts

Originally Posted by slumlord

How fresh is this kook?

Smells gut shot......
Posted By: ribka Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by Petro
Lengua tacos are fantastic. I love braised beef tongue. Best beef flavor ever.

They're my fav! Damn tongue is expensive now like my other fav oxtail.
Originally Posted by slumlord

How fresh is this kook?

Smells gut shot......

Sounds like my neighbors after they spent half their paycheck at the coal miners bar.

In case you forgot, slum came up with that name.

"Conrad is not a troll, he’s 404 lbs of Southern Gentleman"

Ok. You made your point.
Who cares.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Nasty burger? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I started raising my own beef a few years ago. Love it. If you’ve the room and a way to feed them, I can’t imagine not doing it.

Damn right Men, same/same here on the garden/canning deal, if for no other reason than some sawed off chalupa shltting in the produce fields because he hates us, I don't hate him, and it's not my fault the little greaser wasn't born in this country, shooting wild game or cleanly raising one's own beef is a very good thing, I know asswhole cow farmers that steroid/hormone their cattle in the name of profit, plus, processors irradiating and pumping the meats full of salt water for more profit! crazy
© 24hourcampfire