Home
UCONN is the first of what I think will be many to cancel the 2020 football season.

https://nesn.com/2020/08/uconn-foot...l-2020-season-over-coronavirus-concerns/
I didn't know they had a Football team grin
WGAF
Originally Posted by Prwlr
WGAF

The everyday folk that make their living off of it?
It hurts the economy.
Boycott the NCAA as well.

I'm sick of the
social justice lies and appeasement!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

LMAO!!!
The Eastern Kentucky football is under fire after the team’s starting kicker, Landon White, announced Tuesday he was leaving the program due to a lack of care for player safety within the team.

White, a redshirt junior, posted on his Instagram page that he is resigning from the team because the team’s head coach, Walt Wells, along with other staff members “do not care about player safety.”

“8-4-20. My last day is finally here,” White wrote. “Today I have resigned my position on the Eastern Kentucky University football team as a kicker. Not huge news in the sports world I know but… No matter what you hear the facts are the facts, with the main fact being the coach and some staff, do not care about player safety. I will surely miss my brothers on the field. This is a tough day for me, but somebody has gotta tell the truth on what us athletes are going through during this pandemic.”

According to White’s statement, the football program conducts “little to no testing” for COVID-19, with the last team test being administered on July 6.

“Symptomatic players still in the building and around other teammates,” said White. “But the same day people had symptoms we continued to practice instead of face the issue head on. Keep in mind we started fall camp on Friday July 31st. We have plenty of players and staff test positive over the past month. But you have probably heard very little on the matter.

“Have y’all heard about us suspending anything? Of course not. There are meeting rooms with 100+ players and staff crammed into it with zero space and no social distancing rules in sight. There are a bunch of potential positives in there. The Player cafeteria (case dining hall) endangers the EKU Cafeteria staff as well as other students who are now on campus, masks are routinely not worn while players are constantly being reminded by the dining hall staff instead of our coaches to keep it on.”

White then went on to criticize coach Walt Wells, who served as a quality control assistant at the University of Kentucky during the 2018 and 2019 seasons, about only caring for the “[$500,000] we are about to earn by playing WVU in Morgantown at the end of the month.”

“The Head Coach knows and the Head Coach does nothing,” said White. “The Head Coach does not care about his players safety as well as his staff and their families. He cares about the 500k we are about to earn by playing WVU in Morgantown at the end of the month. The truth has to be told and I’ll be your guy.

“I love my teammates as well as my family and I’ll forever cherish the l moments I had with them. With 2 pregnant sisters, 3 nieces and a nephew, and a mom & dad as well as my Grandmother and grandfather I love dearly, I need to protect them at ALL cost. I will not endanger anyones health by continuing to play. This goes for my players family and my family.

“People need to know what the NCAA and University is really about and it’s not about player safety.”
cancel
I suppose that it is too much to hope that the ultimate outcome of all of this would be a return of the game to the student body.
I wonder if he has always been a little bitch..oh wait, he is a kicker, never mind.
The Pandemic And College Football: A Look Back At The 1918 Season

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/spanish-flu

[Linked Image from imageproxy.themaven.net]

While there were some who felt college football should completely shut down because of the pandemic, President Woodrow Wilson felt that football added to the overall morale of the country. As a result, football teams were created at various military posts around the country and actually played against established college teams.

“It would be difficult to overestimate the value of football experience as a part of the soldier’s training,” President Wilson wrote in a letter that was eventually published in 1919.

Many schools were not able to play until late October or early November. The annual Army-Navy game was not played. Many schools played only three or four games.

One of the teams that played almost a complete schedule in 1918 was Georgia Tech, coached by the legendary John Heisman. The Golden Tornadoes, as they were known then, played a seven-game schedule with six of those games played at home at Grant Field.
Cancel it all, scholarships, training table and paid tuition. Send all their sorry azzes home. TV revenue cancelled too. Maybe people would find out that they aren’t missing anything of importance and there are better ways to spend a fall Saturday than watching a bunch of overrated puzzies chase a pigskin around. Then do the same with BBall, soccer and volleyball.

Here in America.....I think we call it Soccer! grin memtb

I'm willing bet that the SEC will be the last to acquiesce. They have soooo much $$$$$ on the line.
Uconn is an independent and if you are not Notre Dame, this ain't a good year to be one with many schools cancelling non-conference games. That probably is what this is about.
0. Love football as a game. Played it, got scholarships, watch my boy play.

1. I despise much of NCAA Division I football.

2. I p! zz on the semi-retarded mercenaries who play SEC ball.

3. I would impose minimum SAT/ACT requirements (exceed median score for student body + conference body). Let the retard criminals play in a pro minor league.
Originally Posted by RJY66
Uconn is an independent and if you are not Notre Dame, this ain't a good year to be one with many schools cancelling non-conference games. That probably is what this is about.

Notre Dame has joined the 'football' portion of the ACC[for one year].

They dont.
Is the last team to cancel crowned National Champion?
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Is the last team to cancel crowned National Champion?

No need - that is determined by acclamation before the season is even played (or cancelled).
Originally Posted by jfruser
0. Love football as a game. Played it, got scholarships, watch my boy play.

1. I despise much of NCAA Division I football.

2. I p! zz on the semi-retarded mercenaries who play SEC ball.

3. I would impose minimum SAT/ACT requirements (exceed median score for student body + conference body). Let the retard criminals play in a pro minor league.

3. Excellent!
I hope they cancel the NFL as well, and I hope it withers on the vine. I'd love to see those overpaid Divas lose their gravy train.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

They dont.

I'll bet they've had 25+ players drafted into the NFL (if not more).
Not a powerhouse by any stretch but they give it a go.
Originally Posted by Squidge

While there were some who felt college football should completely shut down because of the pandemic, President Woodrow Wilson felt that football added to the overall morale of the country. As a result, football teams were created at various military posts around the country and actually played against established college teams.

“It would be difficult to overestimate the value of football experience as a part of the soldier’s training,” President Wilson wrote in a letter that was eventually published in 1919.

Many schools were not able to play until late October or early November. The annual Army-Navy game was not played. Many schools played only three or four games.

One of the teams that played almost a complete schedule in 1918 was Georgia Tech, coached by the legendary John Heisman. The Golden Tornadoes, as they were known then, played a seven-game schedule with six of those games played at home at Grant Field.

Is that legit or photoshopped?
In the past I’ve been a huge college football fan.

No team in particular. Watch the evening SEC game and then a late night west coast game.

Doubt I’ll watch much this year If there is football.

After the SEC blackmailed Mississippi I’ve lost interest.
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Squidge

Is that legit or photoshopped?

Legit from what I can tell.

This photo is of an undetermined Georgia Tech home game during the 1918 season. The photo was taken by Georgia Tech student Thomas Carter, who would receive a degree in Mechanical Engineering in the 1920s. The photo was provided by Georgia Tech alumnus Andy McNeil. Additional thanks to @GeorgiaTechFB and @CabreraAngel.

https://news.knowledia.com/US/en/ar...735be4ccc79bfef44e739f240d1a959763574097

Originally Posted by reivertom
I hope they cancel the NFL as well, and I hope it withers on the vine. I'd love to see those overpaid Divas lose their gravy train.

I'll second and third that motion.
Ain’t watching it either!
This country’s universities are the last fugking thing I’d throw support at.

COVID or not.
Well, you're very generous. Were they the last thing with their hands out and I had something to give, it would go in the trash can before their slimy hands could touch it.
After MAC surrenders to pandemic, will other leagues follow?

Still, the MAC is one of 10 conferences that competes in the NCAA’s highest level of football, and Saturday it became the first of those to surrender to the coronavirus pandemic and cancel the fall sports season.

So is the MAC an anomaly, done in by its small budgets or is this a dire sign of things to come in college football?

“I won’t try to judge what other folks are doing,” MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said. “I know we’re all in the same place. They all have their advisers. They’re going to make judgments based on the information they are receiving.”

Not long after the MAC announced it would explore second-semester seasons for all fall sports, including soccer and volleyball, the Big Ten made its own announcement that seemed ominous given the timing.

Tapping the brakes on football’s preseason, the Big Ten told its schools that until further notice full contact practices cannot begin. All teams will remain in the first two days of what is known as the “acclimatization period,” working out in just helmets. The first Big Ten games of the season are scheduled for Sept. 5.

“As we have consistently stated, we will continue to evaluate daily, while relying on our medical experts, to make the best decisions possible for the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes,” the Big Ten said in a statement.
© 24hourcampfire