Home
Posted By: billhilly Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/05/20
I bought a nice Brazos cane years ago when I broke my ankle and now I can’t find it. I guess it didn’t survive the divorce/move a couple years ago. Damn shame. It was a nice one made out of cocobolo. Anyway, my medical “issues” have now got my feet swole up That’s why I was hunting my cane. Gotta get a new one now. Brazos Walking Sticks is still in business and makes great quality stuff but I was also looking at some plain old crook canes these guys on the internet were using like a cross between a giant PR24 baton and an old English quarter staff. Seems like a 3 foot, inch thick hickory cane might could come in handy. Like my old hickory tire knocker but longer and legal to take with you anywhere you damn please. Anybody got any thoughts of walking canes?
Posted By: Reba Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/05/20
Look up "Cold Steel" they have some that are multi purpose.
Here's a bunch to look at. PINTEREST

How about one to remind you of the ex?

[Linked Image from images.bonanzastatic.com]
I’m out on the CS stuff. Bad enough I’m reduced to having to use a cane, Don’t want to use a plastic one. Solid wood thanks.
I just bought this yesterday, I have a stick of diamond willow I want use, when I can find it.

This is light, and stiff like willow.[img]https://i.imgur.com/kblnATu.jpg?1[/img]

No picture, slow net today.
I used a Boyds (same company that makes the stocks) Walking stick for a while when hiking on steep mountain sides. It was solid and heavy so I didn't use it for that very long. They still have them listed on their website under accessories I think.
Google "Bubba Stick"- - - - -they've got a brass or chrome horse collar hame knob for a handle. I buy the vintage hames on Ebay and make my own shafts from 1" diameter hardwood dowels. The one I'm working on now has a stack of drilled-out 2" wooden balls for most of the length. The hollow brass hame has a little over a pound of #8 birdshot poured into it, then it's filled with Great Stuff expanding foam.
A cane can be a useful weapon if needed.
It's also a good way to enforce "social distancing" when necessary!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

They make one that looks like a copperhead?
Posted By: hanco Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/05/20
Not yet
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Pimp cane
I have been trying different lengths with an adjustable cane. Now I'm ready to get a solid good looking wood stick.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/05/20
https://www.househandle.com/

I use the .....Stockman’s cane.

Cut it to any length I like. Cut the curl at a sharp angle so as to pick things up.....use silicone tape Wrapped at the handle.

Folks see me with it and they know it is not a show piece....just a real user by a grumpy old guy..... they leave me alone.

Can also reverse it and beat the packing out a rattlesnake. Pretty handy. I have several.... one in each truck, the Ranger, tool shed Etc.

Also, it is really handy with both aggressive dogs and the friendly ones that just want to say howdy and jump on you. I just face the dog....put the tip about 16 inches in front of my feet and hold it upright.....let the dog come to me....almost every dog stops to sniff it.... a barrier between me and the dog...Dogs figure it out real quick. Never had to strike a dog.

Since i had heart failure a few years back, I've gone to carrying a shooting stick when I'm deer hunting. I find that it defintiely helps my balance when I'm still hunting or just walking. I've used to twice to take shots when I was caught where I couldn't get to a tree to lean against or rest the rifle. I'm gonna get a better shooting stick this fall. The one I have you have to extend by hand and manually lock the joints. I want one that you just hit the lever and it drops to the ground and locks up on it's own. I think they call them Triggersticks.
stockman's canes are made from hickory, iirc. I bought one, put the crook over a steaming pot of water and opened it up a smidge. I then capped both ends with copper pipe end caps with jb weld. Last, I rubbed it down with real tung oil several times and then waxed it. Makes a great cane and bludgeon.

Oh, and I have one of those rubber cane ends/chair leg ends on the, well, end.
Originally Posted by billhilly
I bought a nice Brazos cane years ago when I broke my ankle and now I can’t find it. I guess it didn’t survive the divorce/move a couple years ago. Damn shame. It was a nice one made out of cocobolo. Anyway, my medical “issues” have now got my feet swole up That’s why I was hunting my cane. Gotta get a new one now. Brazos Walking Sticks is still in business and makes great quality stuff but I was also looking at some plain old crook canes these guys on the internet were using like a cross between a giant PR24 baton and an old English quarter staff. Seems like a 3 foot, inch thick hickory cane might could come in handy. Like my old hickory tire knocker but longer and legal to take with you anywhere you damn please. Anybody got any thoughts of walking canes?

I've taught all kinds of folks how to use those for years.
I can recommend street proven details. Modified weapons, blunt trauma, blades, and hand to hand combat are my skill sets.
I appreciate your interest in learning how to defend yourself and what design of cane can double for daily use. There's more to answer your question than can possibly be covered by a post in a forum. Everyone is different. Everyone has personal preferences. I would need to find out YOUR specific needs. Only with that information can you narrow your options to what's best suited for you. PM me and we can discuss that.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just bought this yesterday, I have a stick of diamond willow I want use, when I can find it.

This is light, and stiff like willow.[img]https://i.imgur.com/kblnATu.jpg?1[/img]

No picture, slow net today.

Interesting. What is the knob made of? It looks grippy.
You didn't know, but I've taught men, women, military, etc. who wanted to aquire the Advantage in self defense/ Combat.

That looks like a Shillelagh. Is it for walking, weapon, herding, or all 3?
I spied one of these the other day in my uncle's house. His had the silver doorknob with a Coast Guard emblem inlayed in it. Very comfortable to hold and walk with.
https://www.westgeorgiagolfcompany.com/bridges-walking-companions/
Posted By: GeoW Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/06/20
I carry a stick or a shillelagh on occasion in locations not allowing carry of my gat or when I know I'll be around groids. When in Walmart I go straight to the French Rolling Pins and put one in my buggy.. peace of mind.

g
Originally Posted by GeoW
I carry a stick or a shillelagh on occasion in locations not allowing carry of my gat or when I know I'll be around groids. When in Walmart I go straight to the French Rolling Pins and put one in my buggy.. peace of mind.

g

LOL! GOOD!
Most likely those would be more useful than the "gat"
if someone started something. Most of the time a less or less than lethal meassure is required under the law's"use of force continuum. You know escalation.
Ie. Verbal insult is not supposed to be met with a shove.
A shove is not to be responded with a firearm.
Somewhere in-between is the gray area that a rolling pin might be useful for more than pizza. 😉

g
go to sportings and put a ball bat in your cart, leave it by the compulsive candy as youre checking out
i occasionally use a cane due to recurring back issues but also like them for their defensive usefulness. I have a small collection of wood walking sticks and canes. When I find a piece of wood I like, I make another. Some are weighted, some have steel tips. As I get older, my balance does seem to be a little off at times and I can imagine the day it might not be optional. GD
Posted By: Bald1 Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/06/20
I'm a big fan of these folks:
https://www.walkingcaneco.com/

My babinga-tiger maple, natural hickory, and maple Fritz canes from them:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GeoW Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/06/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

g
go to sportings and put a ball bat in your cart, leave it by the compulsive candy as youre checking out

Done that too Slum but in my most local WM the rolling pins are one isle in, second row right.. baseball bats in the very back with outdoors and sporting goods.
I be economical with the steps I take in the big stores wink
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/06/20
When I walk on unlevel ground or go hunting, I use walking sticks/trekking poles.
Cold Steel
$23.95

https://pics.knifecenter.com/eyJidW...IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

And by toting a shilelagh you're supporting your white background, as they originated in Ireland.
One of my injuries from playing kick ball on the basketball court with college students. My calf tore.
I used longer hiking sticks made from white oak. The length gave lots more stability than the short cane until I got the crutches.

As to weapons. I've used many, but of the walking variety, there's lots to consider....more than I can speak to this AM.
One thing to consider is how much the cane weighs.
What to do if/when the bad guy (bg) catches a strike and tries to take it from you.
Crutches are about the worse for a weapon, but offer better stability. The video below was posted elsewhere but reminds me of this topic.
What NOT to Do with your cane

This demonstrates my last point.post.
This foolish woman had a cane.
The fat n sassy sista did what came natural to her.
The woman had zero training on the proper use of a cane for self defense.
Now she has a broken leg and needs thousands of $ in hospital treatment, follow up appointments, pain and suffering, sleepless nights, regrets, and a wheelchair and crutches.

A month or three of lessons would have provided the lessons to save her all of that grief.
Obviously,

1. The black and sassy woman was wrong for not ignoring the handicapped lady who was being sassy with her about the mask. What she did was criminal.

2. The copy machine cane woman was likely someone who was liberal know it all including whats best for others concerning masks. Should have kept her mouth shut and minded her own business. Her cane was a handy handle for the black woman to grab.

3. The customers and employees ignored the injured woman. Normal people would show some sympathy even to and injured woman by asking if they can call an ambulance or family member for her. Just .02 c
Got to drink the rest of my coffee and get back to it.
Cheers ☕🙂 👍
I bought a willow stick the other day, my back gets tired when I'm on my feet for a long time.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

And by toting a shilelagh you're supporting your white background, as they originated in Ireland.

I don't have red hair. Being white ain't my fault. DGAS anyhoo. As an alternative I could tote a black mamba in a carry case and just throw it on someone that deserves it.
Will some canes fire a single shot 22?
White woman got exactly what she deserved. Very lucky that the black gal didn't stomp her when she tried to kick - trip her. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Will some canes fire a single shot 22?

I read a article where one of Skeeter Skelton's friends used a cane that shot .410. Pretty sure was a wounded Marine colonel? I'm sure some of these old folks on here know the story.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Anybody use a walking cane? - 08/06/20
When I was a kid, our next-door neighbors (well, across our creek and the other side of a patch of woods) were a very old retired Irish sea captain and his wife. Mrs. Williamson made a daily one mile walk to the post office, and always carried a shillelagh for protection against dogs. And I had no doubt she knew how to wield it. She always smoked Phillies cigars. Used to save the cigar bands for me and I could redeem them for prizes, usually record albums, like Burl Ives and the Irish Rovers. They just don't make 'em like her anymore.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
White woman got exactly what she deserved. Very lucky that the black gal didn't stomp her when she tried to kick - trip her. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Karen should have minded her own damned business. No one is paying her to be the mask police. You have to know your limitations and if you're carrying a cane you probably shouldn't be running your mouth to complete strangers.
That being said the black woman should have told her to mind her own damned business and that be the end of it.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
When I was a kid, our next-door neighbors (well, across our creek and the other side of a patch of woods) were a very old retired Irish sea captain and his wife. Mrs. Williamson made a daily one mile walk to the post office, and always carried a shillelagh for protection against dogs. And I had no doubt she knew how to wield it. She always smoked Phillies cigars. Used to save the cigar bands for me and I could redeem them for prizes, usually record albums, like Burl Ives and the Irish Rovers. They just don't make 'em like her anymore.

If you used those cigar bands to acquire records of Burl Ives and the Irish Rovers, I'm pretty sure they don't make 'em like you anymore either!

I have always used a walking stick whenever I'm out in the woods without a long gun such as when cruising timber. Prefer dogwood, but lost that one a long time ago. Straight dogwood is hard to find.
© 24hourcampfire