Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a nice Brazos cane years ago when I broke my ankle and now I can’t find it. I guess it didn’t survive the divorce/move a couple years ago. Damn shame. It was a nice one made out of cocobolo. Anyway, my medical “issues” have now got my feet swole up That’s why I was hunting my cane. Gotta get a new one now. Brazos Walking Sticks is still in business and makes great quality stuff but I was also looking at some plain old crook canes these guys on the internet were using like a cross between a giant PR24 baton and an old English quarter staff. Seems like a 3 foot, inch thick hickory cane might could come in handy. Like my old hickory tire knocker but longer and legal to take with you anywhere you damn please. Anybody got any thoughts of walking canes?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up "Cold Steel" they have some that are multi purpose.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a bunch to look at. PINTEREST

How about one to remind you of the ex?

[Linked Image from images.bonanzastatic.com]

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 08/05/20.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’m out on the CS stuff. Bad enough I’m reduced to having to use a cane, Don’t want to use a plastic one. Solid wood thanks.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just bought this yesterday, I have a stick of diamond willow I want use, when I can find it.

This is light, and stiff like willow.[img]https://i.imgur.com/kblnATu.jpg?1[/img]

No picture, slow net today.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used a Boyds (same company that makes the stocks) Walking stick for a while when hiking on steep mountain sides. It was solid and heavy so I didn't use it for that very long. They still have them listed on their website under accessories I think.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Google "Bubba Stick"- - - - -they've got a brass or chrome horse collar hame knob for a handle. I buy the vintage hames on Ebay and make my own shafts from 1" diameter hardwood dowels. The one I'm working on now has a stack of drilled-out 2" wooden balls for most of the length. The hollow brass hame has a little over a pound of #8 birdshot poured into it, then it's filled with Great Stuff expanding foam.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A cane can be a useful weapon if needed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's also a good way to enforce "social distancing" when necessary!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

They make one that looks like a copperhead?

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Not yet

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Pimp cane

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been trying different lengths with an adjustable cane. Now I'm ready to get a solid good looking wood stick.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
https://www.househandle.com/

I use the .....Stockman’s cane.

Cut it to any length I like. Cut the curl at a sharp angle so as to pick things up.....use silicone tape Wrapped at the handle.

Folks see me with it and they know it is not a show piece....just a real user by a grumpy old guy..... they leave me alone.

Can also reverse it and beat the packing out a rattlesnake. Pretty handy. I have several.... one in each truck, the Ranger, tool shed Etc.

Also, it is really handy with both aggressive dogs and the friendly ones that just want to say howdy and jump on you. I just face the dog....put the tip about 16 inches in front of my feet and hold it upright.....let the dog come to me....almost every dog stops to sniff it.... a barrier between me and the dog...Dogs figure it out real quick. Never had to strike a dog.

Last edited by TF49; 08/05/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since i had heart failure a few years back, I've gone to carrying a shooting stick when I'm deer hunting. I find that it defintiely helps my balance when I'm still hunting or just walking. I've used to twice to take shots when I was caught where I couldn't get to a tree to lean against or rest the rifle. I'm gonna get a better shooting stick this fall. The one I have you have to extend by hand and manually lock the joints. I want one that you just hit the lever and it drops to the ground and locks up on it's own. I think they call them Triggersticks.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
stockman's canes are made from hickory, iirc. I bought one, put the crook over a steaming pot of water and opened it up a smidge. I then capped both ends with copper pipe end caps with jb weld. Last, I rubbed it down with real tung oil several times and then waxed it. Makes a great cane and bludgeon.

Oh, and I have one of those rubber cane ends/chair leg ends on the, well, end.

Last edited by jfruser; 08/05/20.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by billhilly
I bought a nice Brazos cane years ago when I broke my ankle and now I can’t find it. I guess it didn’t survive the divorce/move a couple years ago. Damn shame. It was a nice one made out of cocobolo. Anyway, my medical “issues” have now got my feet swole up That’s why I was hunting my cane. Gotta get a new one now. Brazos Walking Sticks is still in business and makes great quality stuff but I was also looking at some plain old crook canes these guys on the internet were using like a cross between a giant PR24 baton and an old English quarter staff. Seems like a 3 foot, inch thick hickory cane might could come in handy. Like my old hickory tire knocker but longer and legal to take with you anywhere you damn please. Anybody got any thoughts of walking canes?

I've taught all kinds of folks how to use those for years.
I can recommend street proven details. Modified weapons, blunt trauma, blades, and hand to hand combat are my skill sets.
I appreciate your interest in learning how to defend yourself and what design of cane can double for daily use. There's more to answer your question than can possibly be covered by a post in a forum. Everyone is different. Everyone has personal preferences. I would need to find out YOUR specific needs. Only with that information can you narrow your options to what's best suited for you. PM me and we can discuss that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just bought this yesterday, I have a stick of diamond willow I want use, when I can find it.

This is light, and stiff like willow.[img]https://i.imgur.com/kblnATu.jpg?1[/img]

No picture, slow net today.

Interesting. What is the knob made of? It looks grippy.
You didn't know, but I've taught men, women, military, etc. who wanted to aquire the Advantage in self defense/ Combat.

That looks like a Shillelagh. Is it for walking, weapon, herding, or all 3?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spied one of these the other day in my uncle's house. His had the silver doorknob with a Coast Guard emblem inlayed in it. Very comfortable to hold and walk with.
https://www.westgeorgiagolfcompany.com/bridges-walking-companions/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,696
Posts18,475,180
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.