Home
Jelly was sold in glass jars that were table glasses when emptied.

Cloth baby diapers that we washed,---------.

No wonder the landfills are all filling up.
I barely remember refillable milk bottles.
Could sell your Coca-cola bottles back to the convenience store.
We had a milk bar. Milk was delivered in stainless 5 gallon containers. Coldest and best milk I ever tasted.
Two dairies local sell their milk in returnable glass bottles. Gotta pay 2 bucks deposit though and make sure its washed out to get deposit back.

Dad was a milk man for about 5 years. I remember cottage cheese in multi colored aluminum cups. Grandparents still had a nice collection of those when they passed but someone absconded with them and never fessed up.
Pour the cream off the top and use it on Grape Nuts cereal.
My uncle's family ran a GradeA dairy for years and years, including using glass bottles and delivery every day except weekends, when they still had to milk, bottle and pasteurize the cow's output. I was kinda shocked when they got tired of all that and went to plastic jugs, and selling at the local grcoery stores instead of delivering in three counties. Folks said their milk was like drinking ice cream, it was so good.

It was a helluva lot of work, and barely paid the bills even then.

After I got out of the Army, I worked in a grocery store for awhile, and can still remember having to sort the glass pop bottles that came into the store. I was pretty happy when the glass bottles went away.
69 years old and never had milk in glass bottles.
Lots of jelly jar glasses.
Wife used cloth diapers on our now 39-year-old son when he was a baby. I never could get the damned things on him right.
Stories my mom told of going across the street and getting a bucket of beer for grandpa stick in my mind. The bar was still there when I came along, but I think the bucket deal was a goner by then.

We had milk delivered on the stoop and I can still remember wanting to be first to open the bottle so I could get the little disc of cream just for myself. We also had seltzer delivered in those bottles you see in the old Marx Bros movies. Made our own sodas.

When we moved to SoCal, we also had Al the donut man, drove around in a Step-Van with fresh baked goodies he picked up that morning from the bakery in town.

Meat came from a butcher shop, even in the grocery stores you could watch it being cut. Not extra charge if you wanted a special cut off a side that was hanging. Livers came as liver that was sliced there, not frozen in a little plastic tub. Hamburger was sold as "chuck" or "sirloin" and was ground there in the store. No combining meat from 2700 cows a day into a big vat with "pink slime" and whatever accumulated smegma was on the machine. One could eat it raw when mom opened the package to make some without much fear of getting "E. coli" or the "toemain".

I miss glass bottles for most stuff. Glass will just return to the earth eventually, after being used for many many times if designed correctly. We even have natural glass laying around in the dirt on our place. But we don't have natural polyethylene pebbles here.

Somethings about the olden days I miss................but I still want to keep the fuel injected vehicles that start right up on cold mornings.
One of my first jobs as a young teenager was working at the local creamery, washing out those bottles and sterilizing them in some sort of steamer. Hot, nasty job, I soon found other opportunities.
Those little disc on top the milk bottles sometimes had celebrity pictures on them like Roy Rogers. If the milk was not brought in right away in the winter, it froze and the frozen cream pushed the top off and was about 2-3 " above the glass.Then some stray cat would be right ther licking it off.
We had a Guernsey cow for awhile and she would produce more ,milk than us four kids could drink.Plus we had all the butter and cottage cheese we could stand. Finally got a hog to feed the excess to
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Dad was a milk man for about 5 years.

I wonder how many brothers and sisters you have that you don't know or know of??? laugh
FC, our daughter likes those aluminum cups!
Those frankfurters all strung together.
I never drank delivered milk. Mother took gallon glass jugs to a local dairy farmer and got it out of the cooled bulk tank. After setting for a while she skimmed cream off the top; fresh cool cream on wild blueberries was the greatest treat imaginable.
Our milk bottles had four legs. I and brothers milked them by hand twice a day. That was 50 plus years ago and I still hate it.
Grocery stores gave away dishes.
Originally Posted by DMc
Could sell your Coca-cola bottles back to the convenience store.

That's what we'd do for some pocket change when we were running around town in summertime!

You could drive down the alleys and roads and pick up those bottles and get enough $$ for a pocketful of penny candy! smile
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Grocery stores gave away dishes.

My mom saved both S&H Green Stamps & Gold Bond stamps.

She got some kitchen trinkets, but you'd have to feed an army for a year before getting a new TV or stereo. wink
We used to go walk the ditches picking up bottles to turn in. Michigan has deposits on cans and you never see any cans laying along side the road. Anybody remember Chocolate Soldier chocolate pop?
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Anybody remember Chocolate Soldier chocolate pop?

Had a couple of those. And YooHoo.

But, if we had enough money we'd buy an Apple Beer, and act all grown up, like it was real beer... grin
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Just the time I got big enough to help we went from milk bottles in town to milk pails and milk cans on a dairy farm.

So i got to do both ends of the stick. Milking cows twice a day sure messed up my deer hunting.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

But, if we had enough money we'd buy an Apple Beer, and act all grown up, like it was real beer... grin

I bought some apple beer, brought it home, poured it into a glass, and had one hell of a time convincing my dad that I wasn't trying to pull something over on him. He needed to listen to KIOA, I guess.
Originally Posted by dale06
Our milk bottles had four legs. I and brothers milked them by hand twice a day. That was 50 plus years ago and I still hate it.

Not to mention the taste! frown
Big thing in my day was Towne Club Pop.
You could buy a quart of chocolate milk and get a ride in the milk truck.
Originally Posted by MM879

LOL.

Show on this doll where the bad milkman touched you...
And, I thought it came from cows.....silly me! whistle memtb
The RC Cola man here took the local retard “BoBo” to a whore house to get him laid.

JameJr can back me up on part of this.

Connie worked BoBo over and she asked him if he could come again...he said “if de RC mans will bwing me”

I remember the milk glass bottles. We'd leave a checklist on delivery days of what you wanted and milk man would leave the containers in a hard plastic basket along with butter or cheese if that's what ordered. The brands we had were Golden Jersey and Hygia. I also remember the glass cups and such inside the Quaker Oats containers. The S&H green stamps that we'd save and cash them in for home items such as coffee cups. Great memories!
Kitty Clover Potato chips
Kitty Clover Potato chips

And Wells Blue Rabbit Ice Cream

And Bubble-Up

And Rath ham

my old man drank a lot of brandy, whiskey and gin. my mom bought the jelly in the little straight jars that hold maybe 4 ounces and thats what he used for shot glasses. i still have a bunch and thats what i use for mixing gin and tonics. etc. makes a perfect 3/1 glass. somewhere i have some of the ones that had cartoon characters painted on them. at least i think they were cartoons. could have been something else.
I had forgotten all about those jelly jars that became table glasses..... Of course; there's a lot of stuff that I've forgot. I recall the milk man making home deliveries in that little, boxy van style truck made by Divco, ( an acronym for - Detroit Industrial Vehicle Company). Home delivery of milk was to your milk box usually out on the porch. It was a thinly insulated box with an outer skin of galvanized (?) steel (?), or was it some kind of aluminum ? Later on, circa 1967-68, in high school when I was pumping gas at an Atlantic gas station we gave out S&H Green Stamps to gas customers.
We did not buy, double meaning, bu[img]https://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/large_pulitzerprizeweb.jpg?w=700[/img]t Adil Stevenson's hole in his shoe.
That Bama jelly/jam jars made the best kitchen glasses.

Those small shrimp cocktail jars made pretty good small glasses.

But my mom's Tupperware tea glasses outlasted them all.
The little cheese (kraft) and some of the jelly jars were/are collectible

Theyre called swanky swigs

Six ounce Coke bottles for a dime, you got two cents back. Five cent fountain Coke.
ya those 6 oz cokes were a real teaser. i still have some of those bottles i found laying in the woods. imagine trying to get todays tubs of lard to downsize to those from a 24 ozer.

The only reason land fills are filling up is the Federal Regulations regarding land fills.
Key snuff was a dollar for a ten can roll in brown paper.
Key snuff was a dollar for a ten can roll in brown paper.

How many hours of labor did it take you to earn that dollar?
I don’t think there’s such a thing as penny candy anymore.
Originally Posted by MM879

LOL.

Show on this doll where the bad milkman touched you...

Never had a problem with the milk man, but the overweight farm girl at the 4H fair.......
Originally Posted by rem141r
ya those 6 oz cokes were a real teaser. i still have some of those bottles i found laying in the woods. imagine trying to get todays tubs of lard to downsize to those from a 24 ozer.

Pepsi was offered in 12ounce at the time, it doubled the quantity to help satisfy and appeal to the negro appetite.

Brand loyalty is notably generational.

Really no difference now with the Route 44 and Big Gulp society
When I was really young we had the milkman come with the glass bottles. That was probably 50 years ago.

I remember he'd come when it was still dark, and mom getting up to put them in a Sears fridge.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I bought some apple beer, brought it home, poured it into a glass, and had one hell of a time convincing my dad that I wasn't trying to pull something over on him. He needed to listen to KIOA, I guess.

I remember hearing the advertisements for that apple bear on KIOA radio. Wasn't it called Applejack or something like that ?

kwg
Folks bought a marriage license, and got married before living together.
you know why Dr Pepper came in bottles?

Cause his wife died

But after the girl was already pregnant.
Originally Posted by rem141r
you know why Dr Pepper came in bottles?

Cause his wife died

10, 2 and 4

Take your insulin

I have some of those old Dr P bottles
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

But after the girl was already pregnant.

Yep, that first one could come any time. After that it generally takes nine months.
When I was 20 my grandmother still insisted my mother was three months premature. (but she weighed over six pounds)

I have a few screw top jars I used as glasses.

But I remember those days of glass milk bottles very well. The milkman delivered them twice a week well into the 1970s. Then, when it became common for local stores to sell milk, we cancelled the delivery, I guess along with everyone else.
Magnum condoms weren't invented yet... so the public shaming of buying normal condoms didn't crush young libidos.
This what youre talking about/ This bottle came from our home town dairy. The owner was also a high school teacher and had a ranch about 30 miles from us.

Attached picture milk.jpg
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
When I was really young we had the milkman come with the glass bottles. That was probably 50 years ago.

I remember he'd come when it was still dark, and mom getting up to put them in a Sears fridge.

With a lead liner that would stop a nuclear blast...

Red Rose tea had a tiny ceramic animal in the box.
Six ounce Coke bottles for a dime, you got two cents back. Five cent fountain Coke.

They were a nickel at the IH dealer in AC. The machine was intended to only have Coke, so it dispensed a bottle from what was more or less a drum magazine. They loaded the one at the implement with both 6 oz. Cokes and 6 oz. 7-Up. You never knew which one it was going to give you.
We had milk delivered to the front porch when I was a kid, you could also order cottage cheese and eggs. On the cold winter morning you had to get up early or the milk would freeze and you had a standing stem of milk when the milk expanded. In our town the local dairy sponsored a Saturday morning movie with cartoons for kids. Admission was a couple of the cardboard discs from the top of the glass bottle. I think the milk tased better too!
You could get an ice cream cone for a nickel.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I can still remember wanting to be first to open the bottle so I could get the little disc of cream just for myself.

Fond memories for sure. We also kept those discs for playing games.
I think that there are two different "discs" being referenced so far.
Swizzle sticks.
The ones made of hard candy.
Necco Wafers
Originally Posted by hanco

We still have 'em here but they're plastic now.
Women wore those huge hats! , some with fruit baskets on them. laugh

Aw man, you could break your teeth on that stuff. One time my brother said "I got some gravel in my grape nuts." We all said "how can you tell?"
Originally Posted by slumlord
The RC Cola man here took the local retard “BoBo” to a whore house to get him laid.

Connie worked BoBo over and she asked him if he could come again...he said “if de RC mans will bwing me”

Connie worked half of Clarksville over back in the 70's and 80's.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Aw man, you could break your teeth on that stuff. One time my brother said "I got some gravel in my grape nuts." We all said "how can you tell?"

Perfect!

All y'all are some oldsters now!

The Black women here still wear those hats to church.
Ribbon candy
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

With a lead liner that would stop a nuclear blast...

Red Rose tea had a tiny ceramic animal in the box.

They just recently quit putting them in the boxes. There was a little note about them, I think it came in a box. I've got some hanging around as it's my wife's favorite tea.

One on the kitchen windowsill right now.

I think I tossed a bunch out in the garden/flowerbeds to get buried for the archaeologists to find in 10K years.
Originally Posted by JamesJr

The Black women here still wear those hats to church.

lol

I put a roof on some Ebenezer House Of Bread Chasers outfit there in Russellville

It was an emergency situation and we had to work it through on a Sunday.
The ‘elders’ were womerns, several. They had some hats thats fo sho. Ones with the pine apples and grapes and fake tweety birds and chit. Some big as wagon wheels,

They go to services for about 5,6 hours. Singing, bbq in between

Karen says we don't use that "R" word anymore.

You have been placed in the que for re-education...............

assuming you were educated once before. Real education, not TN backwoods edyoumacayshun.
Remember when parents used to tell you crap like...”when we was young there was this little girl was playing in a kelvinator and the door shut on her, she suffocated in there”

Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that there are two different "discs" being referenced so far.

Yes, I do believe so.

I was talking about the disc of cream that separated from the non-homogenized & rose to the top of the milk.

The little cardboard lids weren't saved. Probably should have looked for a '61 Roger Maris one or something to save though.
Ribbon candy

Ha Ha,

I haven't seen a good candy thread on here in a few years!
Does anyone remember Salmon Sharpies and Blind Robins?
Gas stations sold condoms, over priced, and out of sight. laugh
milk man ran over my weiner dog when i was a kid.
Ribbon candy

And those gawdawful hard Christmas candies with the soft centers and the equally awful ones shaped like a raspberry with goop in the middle.
Whitman’s samplers are disgusting too

Everything in there has a different flavor of toothpaste in the center

Still use those, although the diapers are repurposed. 😄

I still have my families' old ice box for milk.
I remember the milk man dropping it off and putting it in that box.
It was good to see a dairy in my neck of the woods use glass 1 quart and half gallon jars again. The milk tastes so much better than plastic.
Originally Posted by hanco

They delivered them to the back door.
Had paper tops.
We used to sneak the cream of the top.
Dad would yell at us!😁
5 pages and no photos of where milk comes from.
My grandfather was a milkman for Dellwood daries for 25 years.he had scars on his butt from being bit by peoples dogs.i still have his milk bottle rack with bottles he delievered with,his Dellwood coat ,retirement watch.bunch of little plastic milk bottle caps,rulers,school book covers,etc.i have a picture of of him in his striped overalls and milk bottle carrier in front of the Divco truck,i got sick at school one time and he came and picked me up in it,drove it through the parking lot,across the playground and right up to the door.i was in the nurses office and i heard all the kids yelling about the milk truck in the playground.i heard the secratary tell him,"you can t park that there!" "I m here for a sick child lady!" And he just went right by her.i told the nurse,"thats Pop Pop now".he used to give me rides in it.the drivers seat was on a post that pushed foward so you could jump in and out.i remember him shoveling lots of ice into the back of it in a drive in ice house, and then cleaning it out when he got back.still have a couple of Dellwood insulated milk boxes around too.he retired in 1972.home delivery ended here shortly after that.
Roy I hope all here are sharp enough to know where milk comes from. laugh
Truck drivers climbed out of that truck cab dressed like men.
When I was a kid, my folks would tell me about how when they were kids, there used to be ice men who delivered ice for people's ice boxes, house to house.
My uncle used to get potatoe chips and chocolate chip cookies delivered in metal cans.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
My uncle used to get potatoe chips and chocolate chip cookies delivered in metal cans.

We got potato chips delivered in a huge can when I was a kid. The brand was Charlie Chips.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Dumb as hell.
Fond memories indeed !

& in buckets, from the dairy across the creek from my Grand Parents.

& field mushrooms from the dairy pasture !
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

We got potato chips delivered in a huge can when I was a kid. The brand was Charlie Chips.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

NIce!!! Brings back memories.
© 24hourcampfire