Home
New to the forum so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I was set to go on a Montana elk hunt this year and the outfitter I was going with has postponed the hunt until 2021 due to the current pandemic. Have any others here had their hunts postponed or canceled do to the pandemic? If you were using an outfitter, what was the outcome.
Nope
I believe you postponed your hunt. Montana isn't stopping you.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I believe you postponed your hunt. Montana isn't stopping you.

No, the outfitter is.
What outfitter? That's a new one on me, first time I've heard of a Scam-Demic cancellation.
This pandemic may open up a great opportunity to go to Newfoundland moose hunting.

As there will be no US sports going this year, the prices are VERY good and the hunting pressure VERY low.It's only a skip from here to the ferry so an easy thing to do IF I can wrangle the time off work. The outfitter I talked to last night likes mid Sept to mid Oct for calling. It may just happen yet. smile
No
No staying in state this year.
Originally Posted by crossfire3006
New to the forum so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I was set to go on a Montana elk hunt this year and the outfitter I was going with has postponed the hunt until 2021 due to the current pandemic. Have any others here had their hunts postponed or canceled do to the pandemic? If you were using an outfitter, what was the outcome.

Did you ask him to give you more detail? Like is he worried about catching the virus?
No
The Colorado ranch where I have hunted for the last 20+ years is not hosting the usual gang this year. The last word that I had was that there will be no elk hunting this fall.
No, I'm still going to hunt my own property.
I had an Axis Deer hunt booked for Hawaii in April. It was cancelled, and the outfitter refunded my down payment money.
Montana closed the spring bear and turkey season to non residents so I didn’t make the trip.
Still No
Not me but a friend had a African safari planned for next year. The head guide has been stuck here in the states sense the virus hit. They won’t let him go home. The hunt is supposed to be with some of the higher up guys in the RMEF and they claim that organization is hurting and has been laying off employed. Lots of there money comes from banquets across the country. They usaully have around 170 banquets a year and this have only had 3-4.right now his hunt has been rescheduled to 2022.
Did this spring when Ftcky got shut down a month for turkey.

But that also equates into that amount of Toms aging 1 more yr for spring 2021.

The 12 inch beard barrier might finally happen for me.

Dunno......

I need to check and see if they got 21 and 41 dove fields going on.

Probably not....

.gov workers , C19 excuse to do less for same pay schitt....

Need ta take a cruise in the back 40 .
Check out cut corn fields.

They allow dove hunting on em also cause of regular farming practice and methods.

Them cut corn fields can get really active with doves on em.
so far i'm still on for a kansas pheasant hunt and a south texas nilgai hunt. no word on cancellations to date. i cancelled an elk hunt in colorado a few months ago.
The question was hunting, but no Canadian fishing for me this year. cry
I may take an extra two deer, just to stock up on pure, organic venison.
Nope
Yes. I had a BC moose/mountain caribou combo hunt in late September that isn't going to happen and has been bumped until next year. I hope.

F U COVID!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by szihn
Nope

Nope nope nope
Yes, indirectly. Lost out on an out o state hog hunt due to company policy. They required 2 week quarantine if you went out of state at that time. Was not willing to quarantine, so porky got a pass.
Yes, it messed up my spring turkey hunt. I drew the 1st week in Michigan but Governor Half-wit had us all under house arrest and threatened to fine people traveling too far.

The the DNR allowed everyone to convert their license to a statewide universal hunt for a month.

So I hunted a day down home in SE Michigan but went up for a few days to where I usually stay albeit a month later. The gobbling that late wasn’t nearly as good.
Originally Posted by jfruser
Yes, indirectly. Lost out on an out o state hog hunt due to company policy. They required 2 week quarantine if you went out of state at that time. Was not willing to quarantine, so porky got a pass.

Just curious. How does the company know if you've been out of state?
Yesterday morning I had a group of seven bucks in my back yard. They all had very large racks 8, 10, 12 point. This is the first time I saw a group of bucks.
Yep. My son and I had planned a spring bear hunt here in Idaho but, at the time, we could not enter the state. I have a 16 day BC goat, moose and elk hunt that is supposed to start the 26th of August that I don't see happening.

Only in that I’m REALLY looking forward to spending every day in Oct., Nov. and first half of Dec. in the woods hunting. Actually, hunting is only an excuse for getting away as I really don’t care to shoot a buck.
Originally Posted by doubletap

Sure, I could have lied or obfuscated.

But I have been blessed with a good & honest man as a supervisor. Not going to start lying to him now and don't want to put him in a bind. He is a believer in the system, so can hardly conceive of being lied to by gov't or superiors. Also, I do my best to pay back like with like, on the individual and group level.
I had made a reservation for a KY deer hunt, luckily the Covid virus shutdowns occurred before the first payment was due. Will just have to see what 2012 brings, hopefully the virus situation will have settled down by then.
Yes, I believe less non-residents applied so we were drawn.
I didn't pull an elk tag, that's what's affecting my fall plans, not some China virus. I gotta figure sumthing out.
All our group drew buck tags in CO - my assumption is fewer applicants.

The ridges, hillsides & canyons on public Land where I chase elk have not sent me a cancellation. So I expect this will be an enjoyable season.
Originally Posted by doubletap

Sure, I could have lied or obfuscated.

But I have been blessed with a good & honest man as a supervisor. Not going to start lying to him now and don't want to put him in a bind. He is a believer in the system, so can hardly conceive of being lied to by gov't or superiors. Also, I do my best to pay back like with like, on the individual and group level.

Good answer in my book. Trust takes a long time to build and seconds to loose.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I had made a reservation for a KY deer hunt, luckily the Covid virus shutdowns occurred before the first payment was due. Will just have to see what 2012 brings, hopefully the virus situation will have settled down by then.

You can probably find the 2012 harvest numbers online.
All I have planned for this Fall/Winter is Predator calling. As long as fuel is available I'm good
Southwest cancelled our flight from Nashville to Denver, but we were considering driving to elk camp anyway.
Yes and no. I had my application pretty well figured out shoulda gotten my second choice hunt but didn’t because of increased demand.

I’m convinced that guys were home locked down during application season and decided that their long postponed trip was gonna happen this year.

That’s ok I’ll shoot deer around here and have a full freezer.
Yep.
A spring turkey hunt and fall bear hunt.

Wyoming November deer hunt is still on.
Lost my New Mexico elk hunt on Pueblo Indian ranch.Took my refund and deposited it with a neighboring ranch for November mule deer. Still pissed beyond belief I won’t be hearing bugles this year.
Got my once-every-four-years pretty much guaranteed antelope tag, no changes there.

Whiffed on everything else. But this year I can work from the motorhome as long as In have 4G coverage so this season should be fun, even if it is all over the counter (for big game) plus upland and ducks.
Yes,

I've been going to my leases every two to three weeks rather than monthly. Three to five days of isolation. Six miles in from the nearest paved road, and twenty miles from the nearest source of light pollution. Luvin' it.

Ya!

GWB
I was planning to fly to New Hampshire on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a week of deer camp bonding with some of my high school friends, but I don't want to drive 2,800 miles and I don't feel comfortable flying commercial, so its a no go in 2020. Sadly, at my age, my classmates are dying on a regular basis, so every year might be the last year to gather the group for food, drinks, cards, and the occasional deer.
Originally Posted by Lorin
I may take an extra two deer, just to stock up on pure, organic venison.

Yes. In a positive manner. Did not get to hunt much in November-December 2019 due to job responsibilities. Started a new job 6 weeks ago partially due to Covid. Now have 4 of the last 6 weeks of 2020 off. Will hunt the last 9 days of KY Whitetail in November. Goal is to top off freezer with WT does. Will also try canning some venison. Prodding my gang to set a date for annual duck hunt in western KY mid-to-late December. Fall squirrel season starts next Saturday. Looking forward to spending more time in the field this fall...
Not a bit. Didn't make plans for this fall because of other obligstions. Kind of glad we didn't now. Took a little time to put in a food plot on the neighbors 150 that we hunt on. Hopefully it will pay off with better hunting this fall. Work has been balls to the wall and i haven't made it up to look it over since it was planted. Hell it might be baron.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
This pandemic may open up a great opportunity to go to Newfoundland moose hunting.

As there will be no US sports going this year, the prices are VERY good and the hunting pressure VERY low.It's only a skip from here to the ferry so an easy thing to do IF I can wrangle the time off work. The outfitter I talked to last night likes mid Sept to mid Oct for calling. It may just happen yet. smile

Got past a couple work hurdles today that might just clear the way to do this hunt in Newfoundland this fall. Looking very good!

I'd like to thank all you good folk from the US for staying home this fall and giving me this well deserved price break. There gonna be lots of moose and no hunters to shoot them. smile
Stopped hunting a few years back. Love to shoot but at targets now. Even if I did hunt it would never have affected me, look where I live, 1 million acres of National Forest to get lost in.
We've been bow hunting on public land in a California national forest. Season starts Saturday. Son and I leave tomorrow to set up camp and set up a tree stand. Quadrunner is in the pickup, jug of Beam is in the food box. Sweet rolls, beans, sardines, cheese, salami and crackers in a dry, fire-less camp. Hope I don't shoot high this year, got a range finder for Christmas and been practicing.
my hunting is all done within 100 miles of home so i'm not affected. PA has increase the doe permits to the max and brought back concurrent seasons so this will probably be a blood bath year followed by crap for years afterwards. CWD is the excuse they are using for wanting all the deer dead. i guess that will cure it.
Zero.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I was planning to fly to New Hampshire on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a week of deer camp bonding with some of my high school friends, but I don't want to drive 2,800 miles and I don't feel comfortable flying commercial, so its a no go in 2020. Sadly, at my age, my classmates are dying on a regular basis, so every year might be the last year to gather the group for food, drinks, cards, and the occasional deer.

I'd take the plane - was forced into a couple of plane trips this year, it wasn't as bad as expected.
All Montana non-res hunts have been cancelled. Heard that Colorado will be honoring all out of state tags.

Grin.
Originally Posted by Backroads
All Montana non-res hunts have been cancelled. Heard that Colorado will be honoring all out of state tags.

Grin.

Yep, Montana is locked down....
I was out scouting turkeys on 4/4/ when my wife called and told me the govenor of KY had suspended non-res turkey permit sales. I'd been having great luck getting sound for my podcasts.

Drat. I'd had two nice ones already come up to my umbrella mic and try to make love to it. It was going to be an awesome season. All I could do was pack up and beat it back over the bridge to Ohio and cuss.
I do most of my hunting on local, private or family land, so no, the fake pandemic has not altered my hunting plans.
Originally Posted by rem141r
my hunting is all done within 100 miles of home so i'm not affected. PA has increase the doe permits to the max and brought back concurrent seasons so this will probably be a blood bath year followed by crap for years afterwards. CWD is the excuse they are using for wanting all the deer dead. i guess that will cure it.

They increased the Doe tags by a grand total of 29,000 for the entire State; and concurrent seasons are only in CWD units. Outside of the first day I doubt if I see 10 hunters total and usually am out at least 10 days of the season.

Then again, it’s the hunters that buy the tags and do the killing. If there is a blood bath it is because the shooters are willing to make it so and the hell with years afterwards. Few ever want to turn that coin over. Some just can’t be happy with an average Buck, they have to shoot 3 Does also.

And another, ever notice the dedicated hunters most always fill out a tag, makes no difference if the numbers are up or down. Wonder why that is??...

29,000 extra tags for 700,000 mostly 2 day Deer hunters...the Does should come out fine...
I mentioned this in another post, we will still hunt here in South Louisiana, but we won't be gathering for Suppers at each others camps. I spoke with Ally this past weekend - that's normally where I eat supper and he said this year only immediate family in the camp this year, I told him I fully understood. we will gather for the hunt outside in the yard as needed.
Yeah, its changing some of mine. I host a Dove hunt every year and it pretty much follows the old Southern tradition of having a cookout afterwards. But with 20 something friends and family members I have decided to fore go the cookout. It won't be the same.
I'm still waiting to see if my Newfoundland moose hunt is going to happen. It's scheduled for Sept 13th-20th. Hopefully the Canadian govt. will make a decision in the next week or so. Nothing like waiting until the last minute although I doubt it is going to happen.
I already missed by fishing trip to Lake of the woods Ontario , Canucks wont let us in . Louisiana red-fishing trip with Captain Nate canceled as well .

Im still going to South Dakota October and November to pheasant hunt and duck hunt .
Originally Posted by ATC
I'm still waiting to see if my Newfoundland moose hunt is going to happen. It's scheduled for Sept 13th-20th. Hopefully the Canadian govt. will make a decision in the next week or so. Nothing like waiting until the last minute although I doubt it is going to happen.

The outfitters I talked to in NL are not counting on the Americans coming this year. I will be going in your stead, probably on the 2nd week Oct.

Drag for you folks but it's going to be a very good deal for us who live in the atlantic bubble.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-closure-september-21-1.5686475
Yes it did. My Spring bear hunt in Montana. I could not go, the state was on lockdown.
No,but a big fire just screwed up two areas I was going to hunt.Those Covid masks are going to turn into smoke mask
© 24hourcampfire