Home
It is with great sadness I post this:

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/17483407/David-Lee-Hooper

David Lee Hooper

June 4, 1957 - July 16, 2020

Obituary

David Lee Hooper, 63, of Greenville, SC, after a valiant battle with cancer, peacefully passed away Thursday, July 16, 2020, surrounded by his loving family. David was known for his charisma and kindness, his love for his family and friends, and his love of life. He was a man of deep faith and charity who loved cooking, hunting, fishing, and sports.

David attended Wade Hampton High School and The Baptist College of Charleston. After college, he had an impressive career in Information Technology (IT) that spanned more than 4 decades and allowed him to live in various cities before settling in Reston, VA, and eventually back to his beloved hometown of Greenville.

The early years of David's career in IT were in the developing stages of personal computing and business computing technology with the emerging Microsoft Corp. and Altos Computers Systems among other technology pioneers. As the internet was born, David worked with some of the companies that developed machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies that would further raise computing and communications capabilities to the next level. For close to three decades, David was a significant contributor to the growth of IBM's presence in the ever-evolving Cybersecurity Threat Protection market, as the IBM Alliance Director for North America - IBM Cybersecurity Division.

David was an expert in many areas including sales and business development, creating and developing Global Business Alliances, and opening new markets with early-stage technology that changed the way business was conducted. He was considered an exceptional business leader who inspired his employees, co-workers, and customers, and found it rewarding to provide his skills as a consultant to place top quality candidates with companies.

Although helping new technology companies in emerging markets was exciting for David, he had other passions that he turned into entrepreneurial business ventures as well. His strongest passion was for cooking great food and feeding others; accordingly, he opened the Corporate Deli and Corporate Services.

David is survived by his parents, Bob and Kay Hooper; sisters, Debbie Breedin, and Rebecca McMullen; brother, Robert Hooper; niece, Ashton Reese; nephews, Dixon Breedin, Miles McMullen, Miller McMullen, Colby McCall, Trey Lewis, and Logan Hooper; and great nephews, Hollis Reese, Wells Reese, and Charlie Lewis. David was predeceased by his paternal grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hooper and Mr. and Mrs. Weldon Guffey of Asheville, NC.

Due to COVID restrictions, a private family service will be held.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to St. Jude's Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN, 38105; Mercy Chefs, 711 Washington St., Portsmouth, VA, 23704; or the Samaritan’s Purse, PO Box 3000, Boone NC 28607.
Thank you for passing that along Miss Lynn, I was afraid of that.

David was a good one, I miss him.
Well poop,

Thanks Lynn for the notice.
He was great, I liked him a lot. He was always kind, always humble. Great guy.
RIP David. Prayers for the family and friends.
Damn! Hate to hear that! David was one of the Good Guys here! He will be missed!
Well that's a bad deal. Condolences to his family and friends.

He was a religious poster until about 3 years ago, then stopped cold turkey. Anyone know what the deal is with that?
A good and helpful man. RIP, David.
Posted By: GeoW Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/09/20
RIP David.
RIP David !
David was a good friend, and we exchanged many a package of honey, hot sauce and the like. I was afraid of this news since he did not return my last messages or letters. My prayers are with his family.
RIP Sir!

Godspeed.
Godspeed, David. frown
Posted By: Pugs Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/09/20
Very sad to hear. He and I exchanged many PM's and several different BBQ rubs through the mail over the years . He was a great member here and added a lot over his time when the CF was a more gentile place.
RIP David.

May the Lord bring comfort and peace to his family and friends. 63 years old is too young....

I would think that with all of the technology and knowledge that science has accumulated over the past 50 years regarding genes, DNA, etc we’d have a cure for cancer, or at the least we’d have better and more effective treatments.
RIP. God bless you!
Posted By: Gus Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/09/20
David was a good guy. we had exchanged many of a message related to our faiths, and friendship.
Originally Posted by Gus
David was a good guy. we had exchanged many of a message related to our faiths, and friendship.

Amen.

Lynn
Godspeed David, David not only touched my life with kindness but my family's as well.... Truly a great individual.

Sad news.
Rest in Peace. Condolences to friends and family.
Guy could cook!
Bad way to go, cancer. RIP
Those are very noble charities listed if anyone is inclined. We already give to 2 of them. I will build an extra couple of Christmas boxes this fall in his name.

RIP BYC

When I first joined this site he was one of the first and the few that sent me a very nice PM, especially when some the welcoming members (including the OP) were complete ass hats to me.

Originally Posted by T_Inman

He was a religious poster until about 3 years ago, then stopped cold turkey. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

There well several reasons, but thats about the time the Illness was discovered, and also David was a huge NFL fan,

The constant attacks here on his prized sport, and the double standard of hypocrites here, were enough to make him realize Internet forums were not really meant for him any longer.

Who all remembers the Sunday football thread started every Sunday morning by David?
R.I.P. Sir, with prayers of comfort and strength offered for the family.
Oh no. As you know Lynn I have feared this for a while since he wasn't returning my calls. That was not like David. Thank-you for letting us know Lynn. David was my friend and I will miss him. RIP buddy.
I know that a few years back I believe his sister developed Cancer. I hope she survived and is doing well. May be RIP.
RIP
Sorry to hear this. David put me on the smoker I have. Great guy.
Posted By: RNF Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/09/20
David was a good person and will be missed. Prayers and condolences to family and friends.
Damn, I was hoping to get a PM one day that he'd kicked cancers ass.

RIP David, you've done well and you will be missed.

Prayers for his family.
RIP David.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I know that a few years back I believe his sister developed Cancer. I hope she survived and is doing well. May be RIP.

His sister Rebecca survived cancer. David/byc was with her as much and as often as possible during her treatments and her healing period. He truly loved her, and told me often that he would never let her give up, and that he would never give up on her. He was amazing, and so is she.

Lynn
Down on the cooking section Denny, 284Luvr was scolding me for asking about David.

Denny has been scarce as well.
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

His sister Rebecca survived cancer. David/byc was with her as much and as often as possible during her treatments and her healing period. He truly loved her, and told me often that he would never let her give up, and that he would never give up on her. He was amazing, and so is she.

Lynn

Thank you
Posted By: sse Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/09/20
too bad, i figured there was something serious going on, liked him a lot
Sad news indeed. I, too, was hoping he beat the beast. I see that his sister was not listed as pre-deceased - I'm hoping that she's alive and well, carrying on David's legacy.

His legacy here is strong as one of the best contributors we've ever had. His positive demeanor, his Sunday morning NFL threads, and his compilation of the 'Fires best recipes bookmarked in the Cooking Forum will leave his mark on this site for a long time.

Godspeed to his family and thank you Lynn for letting the 'Fire know.

cf
Being missed when we leave is a mark of a good person.
Prayers n the way. David was one of the good ones.
Posted By: sse Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/09/20
Originally Posted by Kenneth

There well several reasons, but thats about the time the Illness was discovered, and also David was a huge NFL fan,

The constant attacks here on his prized sport, and the double standard of hypocrites here, were enough to make him realize Internet forums were not really meant for him any longer.

Who all remembers the Sunday football thread started every Sunday morning by David?

yup, i'm sure he was disappointed with what has been going on with the league for quite some time, he was a real redskins fan. i remember his concern about Cousins, an MSU grad, throwing too many interceptions
Spoke to David many times. The world lost a good man.
Sad news indeed. Condolences to his family, real and extended. He was a great guy to all here and will be missed. Thank you Lynn for posting the news. The Fire could sure use more like him.
I hate to hear about any of our members passing on. I know this is a very stupid question, and probably ill timed, but what was David's name here on the Fire?
Prayers for the family.

As was said cancer sucks.
BYC Jeff.
David would understand.

"Oh Citadel, we sing thy fame
For all the world to hear.
And in the Paths our fathers showed us
Follow without fear.
Peace and Honor, God and Country,
We will fight for thee.
Oh Citadel, we praise thee now
And in Eternity"
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Down on the cooking section Denny, 284Luvr was scolding me for asking about David.

I'd get over yourself if I were you. You know, that whole Jesus/dumbfu&c Canadian thing.

Sweet Jesus
RIP. Cancer sucks
Sorry to hear it. RIP David
Prayers sent for the family. RIP.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I hate to hear about any of our members passing on. I know this is a very stupid question, and probably ill timed, but what was David's name here on the Fire?

It was BYC, short for Back Yard Cooker.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

BYC is a good example of what that forum was.

Your dumb ass is a good example of what it is now.
RIP big guy
Death is such a thief. It kinda bankrupts the English language to try and describe the goodness of a man like David.
BYC always was a gentleman...
Originally Posted by antlers
Death is such a thief.

Or we come to realize everything is just borrowed.

Mother earth wants her stuff back at some point.
David was a great guy. I hate to read this, but thanks for the update.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
Met him once on his travels through my area, and personable fellow in person as he was here and glad to know he knew the Lord!

Condolences to his family.

Mike
Posted By: CCCC Re: BYC, It Is With Great Sadness - 08/10/20
I am saddened to learn that David has passed - Godspeed BYC - may a host of angels wing thee to thy rest.
He liked football.
Enjoyed reading his sunday NFL threads.
RIP
Prayers from Colorado.
I always appreciated byc's posts here. My deepest condolences go out to his friends and family.

RIP
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Thanks for that.

RIP BYC.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by gophergunner

It was BYC, short for Back Yard Cooker.

Never knew the meaning. Knew it wasn’t his initials.
Well, that plain sucks. I’ll miss him for sure.

Condolences to his family.

Vaya con Dios BYC!
Its always sad to loose one of our own....

condolences to the family...

and Rest in Peace David...

Give our regards to Mickey Coleman and a host of other Campfire Good Guys who have relocated to be with the Lord...

Peace be with you...
RIP friend
One of the good guys here, RIP David.
RIP David,you will be sorely missed by me.
RIP
Rest in Peace BYC.

He came across as a darn nice guy.
Rest In Peace, good Man.
Originally Posted by RemModel8
David would understand.

"Oh Citadel, we sing thy fame
For all the world to hear.
And in the Paths our fathers showed us
Follow without fear.
Peace and Honor, God and Country,
We will fight for thee.
Oh Citadel, we praise thee now
And in Eternity"

Very fitting. Amazing how we come to know so much about each other here on the Campfire, that we can reach into our hearts and minds and find things that would be so very much appreciated by another member.

Miss Lynn
RIP David.
RIP, David.

Did he go by a different name here?
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
RIP, David.

Did he go by a different name here?

He went by "byc".

Lynn
Rest in peace, sir.
Rest in Peace friend.

No more pain.

You will be missed.

Prayers of comfort for Friends & Family, David.
Sorry to hear of this.

Godspeed David
Originally Posted by sgt217
BYC always was a gentleman...

Yes he was. Always quick to give useful information as well.
RIP Hoop!
David & I developed a [online] friendship over the years, especially when his sister became ill. My wife went through a very similar situation with her sister and he pulled info from us as to what to expect and/or should we try this or that.
Shipping each other items and sharing antidotes etc
He wrote a thread that he intended to post here several years back that would've shared what he had been through[sister] and then what he was dealing with himself and after I read it I fully knew that he was as genuine as I thought prior. I don't think that he ever mustered the strength to post it as he didn't want all of the light shined on him.
He seemed to be out as selfless as a human being could be.

RIP my friend and someday we'll share a sip upstairs.

Condolences, Thoughts and Prayer, for Family and Friends! It seems as though we see this far too often within our ranks. memtb
Wow I missed this one last month...

BYC was a great guy - RIP brother...

Just wow..
© 24hourcampfire