Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Last Monday, I got a text from my CC company, asking if I had made a purchase at Best Buy that day. They asked me to text a 'yes or no' reply. I texted 'no' and they immediately sent me a msg saying they would cancel my cards and send me new ones. Sure enough a couple days later I received new cards.

Neither the wife or I had been in Best Buy for at least 6 months. We figure our CC numbers were stolen and sold, but that's just a guess. I'm glad the CC company saw the unusual activity and contacted me.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
I also got notified that someone was trying to purchase $5,000 worth of electronics at Best Buy on my card. It was in another state that I haven’t been to in years.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Damn I hate a thief.

Just an FYI Randy, I have found that almost every time I've had my credit card stolen it's been after I "paid at the pump". I never pay at the pump anymore and have only had the card stolen twice since.

once we had cards stolen 3 times in one month.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
I've got an app on my phone that my credit union has that notifies me within minutes of my card being swiped. I also get a text alert notification of the cars being used. The charges can be denied, also the card can be shut down instantly. Getting a new card is simple, just have to visit the local branch and walk out with a new Visa card.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Damn I hate a thief.

Just an FYI Randy, I have found that almost every time I've had my credit card stolen it's been after I "paid at the pump". I never pay at the pump anymore and have only had the card stolen twice since.

That's usually when they scan your card. Or some cases by a waitress when paying for a meal. They have a scanner, swipe it, the information is stolen, and then sold.

Glad the card company was on top of that, Randy!
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Amex sends a notice when ever there is a charge on any of my cards. I watched a waitress swipe my card and within seconds the notice came across my phone. I can freeze the card from the app also.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Damn I hate a thief.

Curious how the thieves can get your card info when you pay at the pump?
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Happened to me about a year ago. Got a text from the CC company asking me if I made a purchase through someplace I have never patronized. They were right on top of it and no problems since. It happened the day after I made an online purchase of some reloading supplies from Midway USA. I wonder if someone got my info from that transaction?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
We have a Costco CC. I've only had 1 false hit on it in years but Citibank was on it immediately. It was also a Best Buy attempt.

A year or so ago, someone charged 2 car insurance payments totaling about $2200 to my wife's Costco card. Citi didn't catch that one but I did and they fixed it immediately. That one was really stupid on someone's part. They used a stolen card number to pay for something with their name and address on it. I hope they got a knock on the door by someone wearing blue.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Damn I hate a thief.

Posted By: Plumdog Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Damn I hate a thief.

They put a skimmer in the pump
Damn I hate a thief.

There's likely a sign on the pump's screen that tells you to keep the card and keyboard covered while you put in your info. A skimmer will be mounted up under the light somewhere so it takes a video of your card and what numbers you punch.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20

Damn I hate a thief.

Gas pump and ATM skimmers: How to spot and avoid them

Watch Your Debit and Credit Cards: Thieves Get Craftier With Skimmers
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
I was in the middle "no where" far west Texas and tried to buy gas at about 2 a.m. Card had been blocked. Walked around till I found cell reception and chewed some ass till I got the card turned back on. They said it was blocked because I'd never made a purchase from that gas station before. Seriously.

Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Damn I hate a thief.

I've had my CC hacked twice, both times traced back to pay at the pump. Happened to my wife once, pay at the pump. Approached the store owner and called the Sheriff Department once, both really wasn't very much into looking into the problem. Treated as a victimless crime as CC most of the time makes things right. We NEVER use plastic at the gas pump anymore. Sometimes you can check your Bluetooth on your phone and see if it is trying to locate another Bluetooth device nearby, the skimmers they use are using Bluetooth to convey information to the thief. There is an APP for it also, but it ran all the time on my iPhone and would run battery life down quickly , so I deleted it. Gas pumps use about three different keys to open up work panels, very easy to compromise and install skimmer I'm told. Once it happened after new pumps where installed, I feel that one of the pump installers had something to do with it. The state they where from had the most bogus charges on my CC when that happened.

I see someone already mentioned the Bluetooth connection while I was typing this reply, sorry about repeating it.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
If I received a text or e mail the my CC was compromised, I’d call the number on the back of the card, vs respond to the text/email.
Posted By: SKane Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
I always give the card reader at the pump a good tug, then left/right wiggle.
Posted By: EdM Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Up until I retired this happened about annually for me. Chase was always on it quick. International work assignments...
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Majority of new vehicles have Bluetooth connectivity so you're likely to get many hits...
Posted By: Cinch Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
They can get your number many different ways and you’ll never know how they got it... I had a card compromised once and the replacement card was compromised before I even activated it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Damn I hate a thief.

Skimming is bad at the Hajjii gas stations around here.

Unless im on fumes, I will not gas at a Raghead mart. And if I do, I get just enough to get to another station and while there I pay with cash or fuggin sticky change in my cup holder.
How could a gas pump be rigged with a skimmer and the owner or staff of the store not be charged with a crime?

Originally Posted by LovesLevers
How could a gas pump be rigged with a skimmer and the owner or staff of the store not be charged with a crime?

Card skimmers are small, inexpensive and can be quickly and easily attached to and removed from gas pumps, ATMs and pretty much any like credit/debit device with external card scanner by anyone at anytime and left for just a few hours, days or completely abandoned after enough transaction info gets recorded which is typically to a remote location via a wireless connection.
My card was compromised last month. It was also at a best buy in a state im not even near. Kinda wondering why so many charges to best buy?
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
I have the Chase CC ap on my phone. All charges appear as text messages within seconds 99% of the time.

CC info was stolen once with Chase. They overnighted a new card and reversed the fraudulent charges.
I've bought 3-4 tanks of gas with pay at the pump a week all over the southeast for the past several years. At one time I was averaging driving 1,000-1,500 miles a week in 9 states and spending a couple of nights a week in motels. The only time I can recall getting a card compromised was after checking into a fleabag motel in central Illinois somebody bought a pair of high-dollar sneakers on that card number. Since I keep a running tally of charges to my accounts on an almost daily basis, I caught the scam before the bank did. Card was cancelled and a new one issued immediately.
It’s almost a monthly event in our household.

I will NEVER buy anything from someone or some entity that utilizes a PayPal. Hipster phaggot scamming mfkers
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Damn electronics will be the death of us.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by joken2

I'll be damned. That is good info. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Majority of new vehicles have Bluetooth connectivity so you're likely to get many hits...

Haven't got any hits off of vehicles yet, but that doesn't mean I won't someday. I haven't checked for a long while now, I only buy gas with cash now. It would have to be an extreme emergency to get me to swipe plastic at a gas pump anymore.
Originally Posted by joken2

I'm out of date. Last info I saw was a camera that mounted up under the top of the reader. I see the newer ones are getting a lot more sophisticated.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Sometimes people get the misconception that your card number was “just compromised”. Had to been the last time you used it or the last time you made a purchase online. In reality your card could have been compromised a year ago and they just got to it on their list of thousands.
Posted By: efw Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Damn I hate a thief.

Yep avoid paying at the pump and keep yer antivirus protection up to date on yer PC and you’ll minimize risk.
I still pay at the pump. I just wiggle and jiggle the card reader, also I look for an intact hologram seal from our Tennessee Dept of Weights and Measures or an unbroken reader door. Granted anyone can put a seal ribbon on there. I at least pretty much always get fuel at one of about 3 stations.

Still better than going inside and getting behind all the human debris buying scratchoffs, ciggs, goddamm pizza, live bait and stupid chit in general.

Like I said, try always avoid “Tank & Tummy” mom and pop shîthole gas stations, Meth Mart, Hajjii Mart, etc
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by LovesLevers

They found a skimmer on the pumps at the C-store my wife runs.
Glad she wasn't jailed!

Seriously, nobody with half a brain would put one on their pumps.
A trail that leads back to you, and when it gets out, it's bad for bidness.

Gas pumps aren't the only place either.
ATM's are frequent targets, even the ones at a bank. Although other locations are
more likely.

We got hit multiple times back when we used rewards cards for gas.
Got tired of the BS, and the chain she works for stopped the pre-pay for cash,
so now we use cash.
Never, ever, let someone (waitress) take your card out of your sight.
Posted By: FastXD Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
Same thing happened to me about a week ago. Also with Best Buy, they charged around $11K worth of something. Mine was on a Sam's card that I only use at Sam's. A few days later they got my credit union card.

Originally Posted by Cinch
Sometimes people get the misconception that your card number was “just compromised”. Had to been the last time you used it or the last time you made a purchase online. In reality your card could have been compromised a year ago and they just got to it on their list of thousands.

^^^ This ^^^

Or eventually sold on the 'Dark Web'.

Over 30 Million Stolen Credit Card Records Being Sold on the Dark Web January 30, 2020

HOW TO BUY CREDIT CARD NUMBERS ON THE DARK WEB?: 1000 WEBSITES TO BUY CREDIT CARD NUMBERS ONLINE
In the midst of all of these walgreens burnings, some enterprising looters got CC numbers

Dont have a link, just something I remembered hearing a snippet a couple weeks back
Posted By: 1minute Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/10/20
I would NEVER respond directly to an online or phone inquiry about anything that involves my finances. If one clicks a link or answer he/she may be granting permission for all kinds of deviant doings. I will, however, initiate my own inquiry into affairs by calling a relevant phone number from my records. .

No telling the number of people who have already had their personal financial info hacked or stolen and listed for sale somewhere on the Dark Web but remain unaware that it is simply because it hasn't been bought and tried yet.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Credit Card compromised - 08/18/20
I had my Cabela's card number stolen. I had the account paid off for over a year and when I went to use it, about 3 years ago, it said it was declined. This was during the Bass Pro takeover.

I called and called and finally somebody told me that someone from Sacramento, CA used it to buy music (iTunes or some schidt) and I never paid the bill. Therefore, it got sent to collections, who in turn sent it back to Cabela's and nobody ever contacted me about it.

They shut my card down and I lost all my rewards points. I filed a claim with their fraud department and have not heard one thing back from them. Nobody that I call knows anything about it.

Fugchk Bass Pro/Cabela's!

They will never see a dime from me again.
© 24hourcampfire