Home
Posted By: Great_Wazoo Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
I think one of these might drive me crazy, but am still entertaining the idea.

For guys that have them, what is the good, the bad, and the ugly? Do you think they are worthwhile, and worth the cost? Which ones do you like, and why?

Thanks

GW
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
I have a Moultrie. My only complaint is that it is so sensitive that it takes pictures of shadows. It burns through batteries and my allowable pics too quickly.
Posted By: Great_Wazoo Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
how does the allowable pics thing work?
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
I have 4 Coverts, I love them. 4G made them awesome. Little pricey, but worth it to me.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
Thats what the gunvme t going to be putting on everbodys land to catch you all’s corn piles. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‚

Or growing dope

Wait...is any of tbis chit illegal anymore? Why are they really doing that??

Would be sweet to get live time on trespassers
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
Thats what the gunvme t going to be putting on everbodys land to catch you all’s corn piles. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜‚

Or growing dope

Legal here.
I have moultrie with Verizon plan. No complaints really, amazing that it sends me anything at all with the non existent cell signal where i have it placed. I believe i will get a couple more.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
At the risk of contradicting anything I've posted before whilst drunk....I have one of these: https://creative-xp.com/products/cr...tdoor-wireless-full-hd-wild-game-camera.

Image quality is outstanding and it's been very reliable. The weird thing is that I get better data connections with this cam than I get on my Verizon phone on my land, so connections have never been an issue. The only problem I have is that the thing has a hair trigger, even on the lowest settings, and I'll get images arriving when the sun rises, when it sets, when the wind blows and, of course, when animals step in front of it.

The way this cam works is that it comes with a SIM card for cell access and you buy a plan. The cheapest plan, about $7 a month for 150 or so MB of data, should be fine if the thing only took images of animals. But I was getting 20-50 images a day and that would chew through the data plan in a matter of a day or so. I'm still trying to figure out how to manage the sensitivity of the camera, but it sure is nice to be able to get images via email as they are taken than driving 2 hours to the land. I may have to find a much larger tree, one that doesn't move in the wind, and then clear the area in front of it so there's no sage dancing in the wind.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
Originally Posted by Great_Wazoo
how does the allowable pics thing work?

You get what you pay for. I pay for 750/month for $10. After the 750, the camera will still take pics, but the modem won't send them.
Corn Pile is not only legal, but expected in Ga where my lease is at.
So do you think it would be worth having a bigger plan, or trying to sort out the sensitivity?
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
I have several Spypoint Link-Micro picked them upper $99 shipped....well worth the money....use some for surveillance around hunting camp buildings great for telling when the snow is plowed, propane delivery or someone snooping around.... once received a picture of a person walking around the house called the sheriff they got there in time to question the person....you can get 100 pictures for free every month with out needing a plan for $5 250 photos, $10 1000 photos or unlimited $15 you can change anytime you want.... they do take pictures of shadows at times even on low setting but have found if you can point them due south or north it will happen less.....batteries ones from Sam's Club last longer than expected taking close to 100 pictures a month during winter where it gets below 0 they will last 8 months and still have 40%....
Posted By: kevinpauley Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/15/20
Does one plan apply to all or do you need a separate plan for each camera? If one covers all, that would be the best security system I have seen. Very interested.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by kevinpauley
Does one plan apply to all or do you need a separate plan for each camera? If one covers all, that would be the best security system I have seen. Very interested.

Each camera....some of my cameras never get to 100 pictures a month so its free....if you see your going to go over 100 pictures just pay for that month....
Posted By: GeoW Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

Or growing dope

Would be sweet to get live time on trespassers

Corn piles is legal.. it's them corn barrels and stills to be concerned with.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by Great_Wazoo
So do you think it would be worth having a bigger plan, or trying to sort out the sensitivity?

I have done everything I can to reduce the sensitivity. I moved it to a place with fewer shadows, mounted it low to the ground and aimed it up. It's not feeding me pics now. I have a hunch that my signal is too weak in the new location.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/17/20
I have three Bushnell Trophy Cameras. Usually one or two of them are set up at my farm, about 55 miles away from where I live. They have proven invaluable for tracking activity on my farm, including patterning the whitetails and turkeys that I hunt in spring and fall. Having images transmitted quickly to my cell phone and computer has saved me thousands of miles of travel to and from, to switch out SD chips. Fuel savings alone have paid for these cameras.
Posted By: fldoghunter Re: Cell Phone Trail Cams - 08/18/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have a Moultrie. My only complaint is that it is so sensitive that it takes pictures of shadows. It burns through batteries and my allowable pics too quickly.

I rigged up a 12 volt rechargeable battery in an ammo can that plugs into the external jack. I have 2 and charge one at the house when it starts showing less than full and I swap them out. I last swapped it in March and its still showing full.
© 24hourcampfire