Home
Posted By: add I Miss the Old Transistor Radios. - 08/18/20
When you could pick up a summer ball game but the sound was so chitty and the static was so bad you couldn't decipher who was playing.
Remember pulling out the metal antenna? I remember a vinyl case they would have.
Remember the the little square Motorola radios about three times the size of a cigarette pack? My dad gave me one for Christmas when I was a kid. Made in Japan of course. The case was made of leather from the Japanese Ryukyu islands. When I listened to a ball game after bedtime, I had to turn the radio way down and put it on the bed next to my pillow. I could smell the leather, and the smell comes back to me just remembering it.
Remember Car 54 Where Are You?

That was the best show ever
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yep, the red Torino with the white swoosh.

Iconic.
You didn't get the model with the one earplug for covert bedtime listening?
Are there still ball games to listen to?

Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) and Ernest Borgnine "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!".
Wally World has cheap ones for $7.00.

I used transisters for years sitting up a tree or on a windmill deer hunting with an ear plug to Cowboys or college football, etc. Freaking mule deer can hear it to 75 yards in cold weather with it turned real darn low.
Remember when they used to describe dîldoes in Family Circle magazine as neck massagers?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And then some dumb ass like varmint guy would order one and carry it to work and massage his neck with it in front of the inmates?
Remember when they used to describe dîldoes in Family Circle magazine as neck massagers?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

From that smile I'm guessing she's "wearing" one someplace we can't see.

Originally Posted by add
When you could pick up a summer ball game but the sound was so chitty and the static was so bad you couldn't decipher who was playing.

Still have one from the early '60s, same as new, still in the original box, too.
I have a newer radio by the bed, I should check the battery.
During hunting season we would gather somewhere on the mountain at noon and eat lunch and listen to Paul Harvey.
A lot of what makes the old days so good, was we survived them.
And sometimes I don't now how.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Yeah I don't know how We made it without them warning stickers all over our guns and stuff. I had the ole transister radios and the walkie talkies were hell of a lot of fun too.
Just sent my 1987 GE Superadio II to the doctor. It failed after only 33 years. Or at least the AM band failed. Which is it's main job description. FM don't work in the mountains, and the old GE sucks in AM from Los Angeles to Seattle, Boise, Reno, Denver, Salt Lake, Spokane. Sure hope it's not a death sentence.
I have a radio shack transistor radio in my box of emergency supplies. Still use it on occasion. Kept it with me at work after 9/11 so I could hear all the crazy talk going on.

Haha!

Yes sir.

Didn't you use crystal radio sets?? Or did you just listen to the fence wires hum from Mexican radio stations?? laugh
I had a 2 Transistor radio in the early sixties. It is all I listened to in high school. I could see the lights on the radio tower from my brothers room and there was still so much static I couldn't understand what was being said on that little radio...
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Remember pulling out the metal antenna? I remember a vinyl case they would have.

I just repaired one of those two weeks ago

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made a crimp with dental pliers.

I cheated. I called someone who has been doing it for 60 years.
Had one of them fancy am fm shortwave ones with the power hand crank.

Think I sold it in a yard sale 6 or 7 yrs ago.

Just wanna particafuggingpate in the thread......
I miss my old knees.
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I miss my old knees.

Not me. I my my young ones.
These radios are really small, super low cost, and work pretty dang good

https://www.amazon.com/Retekess-PR15-Emergency-Transistor-Headphone/dp/B07K33JX5G

Cheaper on ebay too
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Wrongo, Buckaroo; it was Joe E. Ross, not Ernest (McHale's Navy) Borgnine.

Forget your bee pollen again?
I remember my first one. Ate batteries like there was no tomorrow. I used the hell out of it though.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I just repaired one of those two weeks ago

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made a crimp with dental pliers.

I cheated. I called someone who has been doing it for 60 years.

Or, for $7, you can get not one, but two replacements on Amazon that attach with the original screw and won't pull apart when you extend them.

Admittedly, not as much fun, and no McGiver creds.

There are still nice small radios to be had, but ones with analog tuners are scarce. Since Art Bell died, not much to listen to either.
First one i got used 9 volt batteries.

Somewhere i had heard that if you put one that was down on the charge put it in the freezer.

Tried it and it seemed to help short term

By the Grace of Almighty GOD, Wabi. Man, I had some hairy, scarey close calls. I was happy at the time to have survived them but took them for granted.

Now, at times I remember some of them and a cold chill goes down my spine thinking about how close I had been to buying the farm and realize what a great and miraculous job the angels did that HE had watch over me.

Thank you Father in Heaven for your hand of protection that has so often protected me.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Wrongo, Buckaroo; it was Joe E. Ross, not Ernest (McHale's Navy) Borgnine.

Forget your bee pollen again?

Refer to the running joke of deliberate misidentifications in the "Ernest Borgnine" thread started by Slumlord, buckaroo.
I feared something like that, but plunged in anyway.

Consider me suitably chagrinned and chastened.🙁
I still listen to one of these, still gets remarkable reception and sound, though the dial is off a little.
Still get better reception than any of my CCranes.

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]

[Linked Image from k0pir.us]
Get an ICOM-IC-7610 transceiver for $3k, connect to a large computer display, and see what is on a lot of frequencies.

If you own 100 old radios, you won't need them any more.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image from k0pir.us]
Get an ICOM-IC-7610 transceiver for $3k, connect to a large computer display, and see what is on a lot of frequencies.

If you own 100 old radios, you won't need them any more.

Can I take that to the park and listen to a ballgame?
I remember Dad lying in his bed, his transistor radio balanced on his stomach, cussing Bob Allison for striking out.
Still have an old Hitachi am transistor radio. No antanea. Works fine. Listen to Rush almost everyday on it. Just have to move it around for good reception. It's red. Made in Japan.
Originally Posted by rifletom
Still have an old Hitachi am transistor radio. No antanea. Works fine. Listen to Rush almost everyday on it. Just have to move it around for good reception. It's red. Made in Japan.

I still can’t believe Neil Peart is dead.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I still listen to one of these, still gets remarkable reception and sound, though the dial is off a little.
Still get better reception than any of my CCranes.

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]

I have an old Grundig version of your radio. Still works perfect.
I liked those little TRs - they were handy and very mod for a while - had a few oer time. Some companies had them made for advertising - I used one that was made to look just like a Sunoco gasoline vending pump, blue and yellow with all the proper lettering, etc. Still have that one.
Don't forget to put the battery on your tongue for a real throw back moment.
Got radios all over the house, a Sangean MMR-88, a GE Super Radio, a repro Grundig, and some others. One little Sony uses a single AA, lasts a good while. The Sangean has solar and a crank, plus a rechargeable battery, and even a flashlight. Lot of radio for about $50 and the sound, especially voice, is good.

Used to pick up old floor models when I was young. One Philco had electric tuning: a motor turned the dial to presets.

Fred Gwynne is buried in an unmarked grave in a cemetery adjacent to my nephew's property in MD. When we visited him last year we walked thru the graveyard and he said, "Oh, the guy who played the judge in "My Cousin Vinny" is buried here in an unmarked grave. I said, "What!! Herman Munster is buried here!" He replied, "Herman who?" Ah, the generation gap.

Apparently Fred was a humble and unassuming man who didn't want his grave in this small cemetery to pose a problem for them with fans seeking it out and leaving crap. Well because it's unmarked, now people go there to try to figure out where he's buried.
Got one of those little shirt pocket transistor radios for a birthday present in the early 60's. It was from Western Auto and I forgot what name they used on their radios, ( Revelation ? maybe?). Worked pretty well and I had it quite a long time. Nowadays I have a couple of the small pocket models from Radio Shack. One's about 10 years old and still going good. It's now discontinued and I just got the newer shirt pocket model. It's even smaller, runs on two AAA batteries for a claimed 50 hours and puts out high quality sound like a much bigger radio. Also has digital tuning with presets, as digital tuning is much better than trying to fine tune that station dial just right all the time. They list for 24 bucks at radioshack.com Catalog Number 1201849. For such a tiny radio it's impressive so far, as I just got it a few days ago. Also has a flexible antenna embedded into the wrist strap that I like because those old extendable metal antennas are pretty fragile. Never saw an antenna like that before but it works good.
© 24hourcampfire