Home
A while back we planned a trip to the Swan Valley / Palisades area next month. Because we need to take our dog, we chose a route from here to there that takes us through Fort Collins where we planned to stay overnight in a eastside hotel right off I-25. Next thing I know, there's a thoroughly enjoyable video of Fort Collins suburbanites whoopin up on some antifa slime who thought it would be cute to terrorize the residents a few weeks ago. That, I liked seeing...but then it dawned on me that there might be subversive activity in the area at any given time, and I would like to avoid such goings on whilst on vacation. I do NOT watch news broadcasts and haven't for a number of years because I don't consider them to be reliable sources of information.

Anyone know what the atmosphere in that area is like, lately? I can still change my plan but I don't want to unless it really seems necessary. I figure this is as good a place as any to find out what's going on in that neck of the woods.

Comments or advice?
Originally Posted by RiverRider
A while back we planned a trip to the Swan Valley / Palisades area next month. Because we need to take our dog, we chose a route from here to there that takes us through Fort Collins where we planned to stay overnight in a eastside hotel right off I-25. Next thing I know, there's a thoroughly enjoyable video of Fort Collins suburbanites whoopin up on some antifa slime who thought it would be cute to terrorize the residents a few weeks ago. That, I liked seeing...but then it dawned on me that there might be subversive activity in the area at any given time, and I would like to avoid such goings on whilst on vacation. I do NOT watch news broadcasts and haven't for a number of years because I don't consider them to be reliable sources of information.

Anyone know what the atmosphere in that area is like, lately? I can still change my plan but I don't want to unless it really seems necessary. I figure this is as good a place as any to find out what's going on in that neck of the woods.

Comments or advice?

Just go. You aren't traveling to downtown Baltimore or Chicago. Afraid of travel to Colorado? Whats this world coming to?
Thousands of well to do white kids going to college, drinking, and doing cocaine. Thousands of pitiful, guilt ridden, white adults working at the university warping the aforementioned kid's minds.

A handful of mexicans and maybe 2 black people. lol. Outside the city there are some solid conservative folks. Very few in and around FC proper.

Its a fun town. Some good eats and beer. Check out the Poudre canyon. Bring a rod if you fish.
Go to Odell brewing company great beer. Ft Collins nice town I didn’t see anything shady about it. Take hwy 287 to Laramie beautiful drive I thought. Unless you have to go to Cheyenne.
They make Budweiser there....they can't be all bad.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Thousands of well to do white kids going to college, drinking, and doing cocaine. Thousands of pitiful, guilt ridden, white adults working at the university warping the aforementioned kid's minds.

A handful of mexicans and maybe 2 black people. lol. Outside the city there are some solid conservative folks. Very few in and around FC proper.

Its a fun town. Some good eats and beer. Check out the Poudre canyon. Bring a rod if you fish.

Pretty much this, from what I remember. WAAAY TOO MANY drugs and druggies there.
Well the last time I went through there it was from Laramie and there was some kind of smoking party going on in the park area in town. Contact high? Never saw anyone doing anything but having a good time.
They are pretty liberal there in Larimer County.

Clinton won the vote there by 4 points.

Still conservatives there, though.
Have not been to FC for a few years, but it has been a nice place in the past. Daughter and husband lived there for several years when first married - both engineers and enjoyed the work environment - friend/former employee went there to work for the Vet School (top ranked) at CSU and loves it - am thinking that it is an almost grown-up university town with lots of working folks, a good economy, nice lifestyles and very few low-life critters.
Originally Posted by watch4bear

You encounter more freaks shopping at Walmart

Stop living in fear. Life is short.
It's gotten expensive. The little cheesebox house I paid $18K for when I was a grad student is now valued at over $400K. Wish my ex or I had held on to it.
way to go fort collins

It’s a classic college town. You’ll see lots of hippy-looking college kids and Subarus with co-exist bumper stickers but mostly friendly people. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Cheyenne just across the Wyoming border. My all time favorite toy store for grown-ups is Jax sporting goods on N. College. Check it out if you have time.
Fort Collins is my home town although I have lived on the west slope for the last 35 years. I still visit friends enough to have a feel for the town. You’ll be plenty safe enough.
Originally Posted by 79S
Go to Odell brewing company great beer. Ft Collins nice town I didn’t see anything shady about it. Take hwy 287 to Laramie beautiful drive I thought. Unless you have to go to Cheyenne.

Odells does a great job.
Crown Pub was a favorite spot to eat.

Buddy opened a place up the road in LaPorte called the Swing Station a decade or so ago. Worth a visit for a cold one and live music.

(All assuming its not gone Covetarded. Which it almost certainly has....)
And out on the north side, the home and shop of Ellis Brown, top notch gun smith, gun maker, and author of "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions".

http://www.ellisbrowncustomshop.com/
Duck is very nearby
Down Town Denver's been a little sporty lately, but get a few miles from the capital and the rest of the state is calm.

Just carry your standard load out and you'll be fine.
I have a lot of family in Fort Collins. Lots of outdoors type stuff to do around there and some breweries to visit.... It seems like it has a permanent spot in top 5 to 10 places to live in the US every single year...Very nice place to visit...
Grew up not too far from there. Used to be a really neat town. But like most places along the front range of CO it has been ruined by displaced idiots from CA who turned it into a LIB enclave. But if you go through it on HWY 14 and head west you get into the canyon the Cache la Poudre River flows through. Nice country back there and some really good fishing. Stay on HWY 14 until you go over Cameron Pass and I assure you that you'll see moose. Just west of the summit on Cameron Pass is Joe Wright Reservoir where you can catch arctic grayling. I try to get up that way every couple of years.

Liberal town, gorgeous scenery, lousy football team.
We spent a night there on our way to Montana, week before last. Everything looked just about like it aways has. Restaurants are limited by what and how many meals they can handle if they follow the governor's edicts, but we didn't miss a meal. Our hotel was pet-friendly and the staff loved messing with our dog. The motel and restaurants went the extra mile to ensure that our stay was pleasant, despite the current restrictions.

Avoid Denver and Boulder, at all costs.
Originally Posted by boliep

Liberal town, gorgeous scenery, lousy football team.

Lol. Perfect.
Originally Posted by ribka

You encounter more freaks shopping at Walmart

Stop living in fear. Life is short.[/quote

Who's living in fear?

If I were to post about going into an unfamiliar area and ending up in sad circumstances for it, then I would [quite rightfully] be excoriated for being a dumbass, would I not? It only makes sense to use your resources ahead of time to avoid putting one's self in jeopardy. I don't live in fear, but I do plan my moves to avoid stupid mistakes. Give a guy a break. I could give you a few pointers about some areas I am familiar with, and you'd be wise to ask before venturing forth.

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Down Town Denver's been a little sporty lately, but get a few miles from the capital and the rest of the state is calm.

Just carry your standard load out and you'll be fine.

Thanks Thomas. I might have just messaged you with my question had it occurred to me to do so.
...and thanks to others who offered some insight. I do appreciate it!
Just spending a night, right?
Take their pictures and their ID, and put the names and pictures on Twitter or Facebook.
Way too many bicycle riders on the streets for my taste. Spent the night there 3 or 4 years ago. I hate bicycles on roads built for motor vehicles.
4 big fires in CO right now, might want to check the areas you plan on visiting.

It can get hot there in the summer so make sure you will have AC.
Check out "Glacier Ice cream", my favorite ice cream shop in Colorado.
It goes all the way to Colorado Springs.

Sucks - you could not pay me to live anylwhere within 50 -75 miles of Denver.

Whoever made up that "best places to live" is a retarded idiot.

Maybe it's just me? smile
Originally Posted by Whiptail

It can get hot there in the summer so make sure you will have AC.
Check out "Glacier Ice cream", my favorite ice cream shop in Colorado.

I lived in Colorado for many years, went to school in Ft. Collins, and never needed AC in my home or car. Of course I was young then, and expectations were different.

Paul
Originally Posted by EdM
Just spending a night, right?

Yup. Just don't want to venture into unfamiliar territory where I might have to employ any means of self defense I might have at my disposal, needlessly. Kinda like choosing a place other than south Dallas for a Sunday drive.
I lived and worked there for a few years. It was an enjoyable town, and the liberals have been invading the front range and the ski corridors for years, so I just tried to be a chameleon.
I have not been down to Fort Collins since the COVID hit, but I wouldn't worry a bit about staying there. Besides, if you are just spending the night, the town is a few miles from I-25 and you can stay along the Interstate and never see the town.

I suppose you are aware that I-70 is closed between Gypsum and Glenwood Springs right now due to the Grizzly Creek Fire, which would affect going to Palisades. Also, there is a new fire that started west of Fort Collins (the Cameron Peak fire) that has Highway 14 (referenced in MAC's post) closed. You may want to keep an eye on Inciweb as your departure date approaches.
Thanks for that suggestion Cheyenne. We won't be traveling for a few weeks yet, but I will have a look at inciweb. Never heard of it until now. The destination is SE Idaho, BTW, not Palisade CO.
© 24hourcampfire