Home
Aint runnin' a shop - just wanna wrench on the new Harley. 3/8" drive, 10-80 or 100 ft. lbs. would do all I have the interest for.

I bought a $19.95 Pittsburgh unit from Harbor Freight, & returned it immediately. Then I returned its replacement immediately. I'm kinda insistent that products I purchase actually [intercoursing] WORK. mad

From spending time on Amazon, it looks like one's gotta get to $125 or so to have some reasonable assurance that the thing will work for a decent period of time. Is this true? Is it CDI, or bust? Anything less seems to be Tainwanese/Chinese, 30 or less tooth, deceased-brand (stanley, craftsman), non-clicking, poorly labeled, non-certified, disposable stuff. I suppose I could just use blue Loctite on everything and get "snug" with a regular wrench.

What sayeth the peanut gallery, apart from, "[Whatever you just recommended] SUCKS!"?

Thanks,

FC
I found a lightly used Snap-On (dial type) 1/2 inch drive in a local pawn shop for $75. They are out there and no question as to quality...
HJ Epstein

Both options are MAGA!

https://www.harryepstein.com/central-tool-3-8-drive-10-100-ft-lb-torque-wrench.html

https://www.harryepstein.com/consolidated-devices-torque-wr-3-8-dr.html

Thanks. I saw your link to the 2nd one in a thread from late last year. I emailed them to get the specs on it. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

FC
Specs in Details

"Click type 10-75 foot lbs"
Don't know where Kingston was when I was shopping, but, I got this one and happy with it.
https://www.protorquetools.com/cdi-...micrometer-adj-torque-wrench-dual-scale/

Also got a China Tekton 1/4" that's handy so far.
https://www.tekton.com/1-4-inch-drive-dual-direction-click-torque-wrench-trq21101

Originally Posted by kingston
Specs in Details

"Click type 10-75 foot lbs"

Well I’ll be damned - so it is. For some reason I wasn’t finding that from your link on last year’s thread.

I’ll likely go ahead & order one in. Results to follow.

Thanks again,

FC
Just ordered it. They didn't have much info. on it, but called it, "new: old stock". The guy on the phone said they've had these for decades, & sold a lot of 'em.

In any case, my gut tells me I can put more trust in a $50, 30 year old, CDI wrench, than any brand-new $40 wrench I can find on Amazon.

FC
I use a Craftsman 1/2" drive click type torque wrench, a 3/8" digital click Craftsman and a 1/4" inch/lb Tekton wrench. I only use the torque wrenches for specific fasteners. My dirt bike will have way more mechanical stresses than a street Harley and I don't really sweat every nut and bolt on the bike. Mostly anything inside the motor and tightening the fork tubes.
Own a shop & will only purchase snap-on or Jet !

Must be reliable, must be serviceable, must have lifetime warranty.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

What he said, and have it calibrated every year or 2 if used a lot.

This is what my guys use.........

https://shop.snapon.com/product/TechAngle-Models-(2%-Accuracy)/1-2%22-Drive-TechAngle-Electronic-Torque-Wrench-(15-300-ft-lb)/ATECH3FR300B

But, at about $650.00, it is a little spendy..........

I use a Craftsman beam torque wrench that was purchased in the mid-70’s, it’s served me well for the last 45 years.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Just ordered it. They didn't have much info. on it, but called it, "new: old stock". The guy on the phone said they've had these for decades, & sold a lot of 'em.

In any case, my gut tells me I can put more trust in a $50, 30 year old, CDI wrench, than any brand-new $40 wrench I can find on Amazon.

FC

I might grab one too. Thanks for the additional information.
Their CS guy just emailed me back from last night’s query:

“These were a government liquidation deal.”

FC
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I use a Craftsman beam torque wrench that was purchased in the mid-70’s, it’s served me well for the last 45 years.
.......... I have one from the late 60's that hasn't been used in over 20 years but got a lot of use back in the day. Never actually been recalibrated but did a couple informal side by side tests with other torque wrenches years ago and they both seemed to be in sync with each other.
Just FYI, they have a 1\2 drive model and another 3/8 drive model graduated in in/lbs.

To make a living, absolutely. They are used multiple times daily so you need the repeatability. My torque wrenches can sit for a month at a time and then get used on 8 fasteners. Plus I ain't launching a rocket here.

CDI makes snap-on torque wrenches.

I need angle torque capability. My two wrenches are snap-on tech angle and a cornwell digital angle torque. Highly recommend either of them.

I never got a for sure answer but I’m betting CDI makes the Cornwell too.
Brands to look for: Proto, Snap On, CDI, Sturvent-Richmond, Seekonk

Warren and Brown.

This is what I use.
Update: it’s the real deal. Hefty, easy to read, precise adjustments, and no doubt whatsoever about when you’ve reached the stopping point.

Kingston, I owe you yet another beer.

FC
The fifty dollar one?
Aint runnin' a shop - just wanna wrench on the new Harley. 3/8" drive, 10-80 or 100 ft. lbs. would do all I have the interest for.

I bought a $19.95 Pittsburgh unit from Harbor Freight, & returned it immediately. Then I returned its replacement immediately. I'm kinda insistent that products I purchase actually [intercoursing] WORK. mad

From spending time on Amazon, it looks like one's gotta get to $125 or so to have some reasonable assurance that the thing will work for a decent period of time. Is this true? Is it CDI, or bust? Anything less seems to be Tainwanese/Chinese, 30 or less tooth, deceased-brand (stanley, craftsman), non-clicking, poorly labeled, non-certified, disposable stuff. I suppose I could just use blue Loctite on everything and get "snug" with a regular wrench.

What sayeth the peanut gallery, apart from, "[Whatever you just recommended] SUCKS!"?

Thanks,

FC

Harbor Freight has a new line of tools now called "Icon" that get good ratings. Check out the video on You tube about their torque wrenches.....they seem pretty quality for the price.
Goodness, take a look at the deals in their closeouts for USA made hand tools and Misc good stuff.

https://www.harryepstein.com/
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Goodness, take a look at the deals in their closeouts for USA made hand tools and Misc good stuff.

https://www.harryepstein.com/

I’ve gotten a few things from them in the past.

Good service and good deals. Lot of USA stuff.

Thanks,

FC

You answered your own question. When you need a torque wrench you need to do it right. For motorcycles at the low end fork tubes. Wheel lug nuts at the high end. Both are critical safety items. Just go with Snap-On
The fifty dollar one?

Yup.
The fifty dollar one?

Yup.

Thanks

I blame Kingston....
The fifty dollar one?

Yup.

Thanks

I blame Kingston....

It’s always Kingston’s fault, always.

😎

I wouldn't own anything Tekton if you paid me to take it. Tekton is sold by that scumbag Justin Amish's family tool business.
Originally Posted by Pat85

I wouldn't own anything Tekton if you paid me to take it. Tekton is sold by that scumbag Justin Amish's family tool business.

Who?
Originally Posted by reivertom

Harbor Freight has a new line of tools now called "Icon" that get good ratings. Check out the video on You tube about their torque wrenches.....they seem pretty quality for the price.

I bought one of HF icon wrenchs and they are a totally different animal than the pittsburgh torque wrenchs. I use it for working on the vehicles and camper. I needed 165ft lb wrench and the 1/2 drive fit the bill without costing me hundreds. Its worth giving the icon line a look.

Who?

The republican senator from Michigan that wanted to impeach Trump under the guise of violating the constitution when in reality it was about the Chinese tariffs on the junk he peddles.

Who?

The republican senator from Michigan that wanted to impeach Trump under the guise of violating the constitution when in reality it was about the Chinese tariffs on the junk he peddles.

Ok, never heard of him. Thanks for the followup.
© 24hourcampfire