Home
Posted By: slumlord Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Had some tires put on my Sam’s club. I dont think they balanced them right. High spots in the tread. Less than 10,000 miles

Dealership was replacing a hub bearing last week says my tires have not been rotated ‘correctly’
Posted By: pullit Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I try to rotate my tires every time I get an oil change. I have free lifetime balance and rotation with tire purchase so I let Discount tire do it.
Cheap ass tires and cheap ass dealers.
Front or rear? Uneven wear like that is usually caused by worn shocks or struts dribbling the tire down the road like a basketball. Once that wear pattern is started it's virtually impossible to correct. Rotation has nothing to do with it.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by pullit
I try to rotate my tires every time I get an oil change. I have free lifetime balance and rotation with tire purchase so I let Discount tire do it.

This. I get 90K out of my Firestones
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Front or rear? Uneven wear like that is usually caused by worn shocks or struts dribbling the tire down the road like a basketball. Once that wear pattern is started it's virtually impossible to correct. Rotation has nothing to do with it.
Wouldn't the stealership have checked those?
Could just be schitty tires. I've got Goodyear Wranglers on my Ram and they've just been awful. Three flats in 4000 miles.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
1st rotate is back to front, 2nd is diagonal. Repeat process until you get sick of looking @ that set of tires. I let them rotate mine during oil changes every 5K on my F-250 and my Murano.
Posted By: memtb Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I try to rotate my truck tires at every oil filter change (5 to 7K miles on filters, 20K on oil changes) but sometimes fail to do so. It’s getting increasingly difficult as I age to rotate the pick-up tires as they weigh in @ 150+ pounds each....19.5’s on steel rims! I pick a day when I’m feeling “bullet proof”......which isn’t often enough!

I mix rotations, sometimes front to rear, sometimes diagonal! memtb
Posted By: greydog Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
If the tires are directional, they can only be rotated back to front. I just replace mine in pairs unless there is a good reason (smokin' deal for four) to change all. Usually about three pairs of driving wheels per steering set on the Ram diesel. Fairly even on the 81 Dodge. FWD car uses up about three pair on the front for each .set on the rear. Every time I buy tires, promise myself I will change my driving habits but I always forget. GD
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
How many miles do you have on the shock absorbers?
Posted By: sse Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20

you worry too much

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by slumlord
Had some tires put on my Sam’s club. I dont think they balanced them right. High spots in the tread. Less than 10,000 miles

Dealership was replacing a hub bearing last week says my tires have not been rotated ‘correctly’
.....................Hi spots on tires? What exactly were the symptoms? Steering wheel shaking?

Originally Posted by Bristoe

It's the head gaskets you have to worry about. whistle
Posted By: antlers Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I rotate mine every 6,000 miles. Front straight to back, back straight to front. I don’t ever cross em’ over.
Posted By: BLG Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by Bristoe

It's the head gaskets you have to worry about. whistle

Actually, it's the valve cover gaskets.
whistle grin

Clyde
Posted By: Raeford Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I rotate em after every 6 mowings.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Rear straight to front. Front cross to rear.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I never run a tire backwards. I'll have the inside tire of my dually and same side front tire dismounted and remounted and balanced so the aluminum wheels will be right. You can get excellent tire wear if you take care of them, 60k miles isn't hard to accomplish with a little maintenance.
Speaking of rotations, I rotate mine approx every 6K and use a figure 8 pattern.......X pattern, then side to side, X pattern, then side to side. With many tread designs, if you keep the tires going in the same direction for too long then they will cup, chop or feather on the front portion of the individual tread blocks (in the direction of rotation). Reversing the direction will smooth 'em out. Been doing it that way for 40 years and my tires always have remained nice and smooth with no cupping or shopping.
Posted By: driggy Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I hope the ones doing the diagonal swap are checking to see if the tires are directional or not. More and more tires are going that route to improve traction in less than ideal conditions.
Originally Posted by horse1
1st rotate is back to front, 2nd is diagonal. Repeat process until you get sick of looking @ that set of tires. I let them rotate mine during oil changes every 5K on my F-250 and my Murano.

Unless they are directional !
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Speaking of rotations, I rotate mine approx every 6K and use a figure 8 pattern.......X pattern, then side to side, X pattern, then side to side. With many tread designs, if you keep the tires going in the same direction for too long then they will cup, chop or feather on the front portion of the individual tread blocks (in the direction of rotation). Reversing the direction will smooth 'em out. Been doing it that way for 40 years and my tires always have remained nice and smooth with no cupping or shopping.
.....................Non directional tires of course.
Posted By: tzone Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Could just be schitty tires. I've got Goodyear Wranglers on my Ram and they've just been awful. Three flats in 4000 miles.

You couldn't give me a set of those.
I rotate mine when I put studded tires on and when i put summer tires on. Seasonal
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I rotate mine when I put studded tires on and when i put summer tires on. Seasonal

Bingo.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-rotations

Not rotating doesn’t cause that

Originally Posted by ironbender

Bingo.

Yeah, except I usually do a mid summer rotation too !
Depends on whether they are directional tread or not. Directional tires have to be remounted on the opposite rim to switch sides so that directional tread pattern remains the same. Never put new tires on the front, Buy 2 and put them on the rear, put 12 to 15k on them, then move them to the front (and on the same side), while putting 2 more new tires on the rear. Another 12 to 15k and move the back tires to the front again and the front to the back (on the same side) always. If the front are worn badly on one side, fix the alignment and replace the tires.(Rear to Front) (New on the Back)...

Phil
Here' how I rotate my tires. I start the engine and put the car in gear. That usually gets the tires rotating. grin
Rotate at oil changes or every second one. Suspension issues and or ballance for the wear issues you are experiencing.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20

Slumlord,

Hope it's nothing like an issue I had years ago.

New tires at Sears, either Bridgstones or their own branded Michelins. Life of tires rotation and balance paid for. Few months later, front end shake at about 50 MPH, feels like an unbalanced tire, back to Sears. Tires checked, rotated, and rebalanced. Back on car. Few days later, same crap. Back to Sears. Same deal. This time I thnk they pulled the weights and started fresh.

Start home, get to the section of road that goes to 55MPH, same crap. Directly back to Sears, asked if they want to come for a drive with me. Nope, here's a referral to the local alignment place with a lift and capability to spin all four wheels off the ground at once. On Sears' dime. OK.

Go to that shop, guys runs it up on the rack, I think I went to lunch. Come back and the guy, who's been in business for a good number of years, says "I've never seen anything like it in my career. Usually only one, sometimes a second, but on your vehicle all four tires have belt separation. You can watch it when we spin the tires. They'll never stay in balance."

Back to Sears, brand new tires all around, no problems for 50K miles after that.

Some days a fella just gets the bad tires I guess.

Slummy, if you've got even one tire with a loose belt under the tread it's going to show up as shaking, especially if it's on the front.

Good luck with it.
Originally Posted by HarleyHutch
Rotate at oil changes or every second one. Suspension issues and or ballance for the wear issues you are experiencing.
.......LOL....Funny.
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Here' how I rotate my tires. I start the engine and put the car in gear. That usually gets the tires rotating. grin
.....LOL....Funny!
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by HarleyHutch
.......LOL....Funny.
...Disregard..Wrong quote
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
The current set of Cooper ST Maxx have been on my F350 for 3-4 years.

Might have 30k miles them.
(probably replace in another 5-10k miles)

They are wearing fairly evenly and have been rotated once(maybe twice).
Originally Posted by tzone

Yeah I learned the hard way.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Every other oil change unless they are aggressive tread pattern, then rotate every oil change .

Front on back, back on the front . Simple. No need to change sides
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by tzone

Yeah I learned the hard way.

Those are cheap for a reason. I just bought (first ever) a set of BF Goodrich AT KO s for my F150 and they are great so far. I’m expecting a lot of miles out of them.
I include the spare into the rotation as well - may as well wear them all down the same and replace all 5 when they need it. Some prefer to keep the spare pristine - YMMV
My spare is 17 years old, doubt it's ever been used!
What you buy the tire at an auction?

You aint got any schit that old!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
I used to get donut spares from the junkyard for a 5 spot
Posted By: slumlord Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/01/20
But that was back when M C Ren drove a B210
Yeah right!

Gonna haul hay tomorrow with a '68 GMC and a '74 IH....

We did buy a 'new' swather last Sunday though.

It's 10 years newer than my pickup.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
Isn't that like the Mirthmobile?

One of my friends in high school had one.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
I rotate mine every 10,000 miles
Originally Posted by ironbender

Bingo.

Yep,softer tires like snow tread,I rotate every 3000, but it usually works out seasonal too.I never had directional.Fronts go straight back rears get crossed.
I quit buying tires from Sam's and Wal-Mart when they wouldn't honor the warranty on a set of General Grabber STX tires that they installed on one of my Mountaineers. They were worn down to the wear bars in 23 months, 39,000 miles, and were rotated 6 times at an average of 5,758 miles between rotations.

Since then it has been Discount Tire for all of my tire needs. They are a little more expensive, but they have great customer service.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by SamOlson

wouldn't trust in on the hwy @ 60 mph
Posted By: wahoo Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
how often to rotate depends. go by the mfg rec. the kind of wear you describe is alignment. the hub bearing contributed to that.

is this a truck? if so how aggressive is the tread design? could be a factor.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
You'd be frightened driving some of our old trucks.
Posted By: drover Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
KISS principle - oil change at 5000 miles, tire rotation at 5000 miles.

Doing this I get 45000 - 50000 out of the 10 ply tires tires on Ram 1500.

drover
Posted By: MM879 Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by drover
KISS principle - oil change at 5000 miles, tire rotation at 5000 miles.

Doing this I get 45000 - 50000 out of the 10 ply tires tires on Ram 1500.

drover

word
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Rotating tires, when, how - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Cheap ass tires and cheap ass dealers.

Dunno about Sams Club, but I've had really good luck with Discount Tire, both the tires themselves and the service part. Outstanding in fact.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by SamOlson

wouldn't trust in on the hwy @ 60 mph

& up here, you'd never be able to get that spare done, when/if you needed it !

About 2 customers every month - "cut that spare down & throw it in my box please" !
© 24hourcampfire