Home
... before you burn it. Wonder that every time I stack wood. Figure at least seven times, not counting falling and limbing.

Rounds
Split
Pile
Load
Unload/stack
Bring into house
Put in stove

Remove from stove
I get mine delivered and split. So, stack, into wheel barrow, into house, into stove . I do like the wood stove, but it does get old after a while.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

Remove from stove

There is that.
Steve,

that's kinda like asking how many times do I lift the fork to my mouth to finish the steak.

It's what needs done, and I generally don't mind it so I guess I never thought about it.

It does piss me off when I toss a split towards the wheelbarrow and it falls on the ground though..................then I have to handle it again dangit.
Firewood will warm ya twice!

At least... wink
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Steve,

that's kinda like asking how many times do I lift the fork to my mouth to finish the steak.

It's what needs done, and I generally don't mind it so I guess I never thought about it.

It does piss me off when I toss a split towards the wheelbarrow and it falls on the ground though..................then I have to handle it again dangit.

Yeah, me too. Or if I don't like how the stack is going and I have to rearrange.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is a lot of work. Here is a load of ash I cut on my driveway in April.
A chain saw, a cant hook, and a Fiskars maul. Hubsch. Wunderbar. Beautiful.

I love to cut up firewood. I love the smell of two stroke smoke in the morning.
Are you trying to give us depression??

Yes it’s handled several times, never considered that before. At least with BBQ wood, you get some good eats.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yes it’s handled several times, never considered that before. At least with BBQ wood, you get some good eats.

Now you'll never be able to not think about it while splitting and stacking. You can thank me later. wink
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by hanco

Now you'll never be able to not think about it while splitting and stacking. You can thank me later. wink

Bastid!
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

It is a lot of work. Here is a load of ash I cut on my driveway in April.
A chain saw, a cant hook, and a Fiskars maul. Hubsch. Wunderbar. Beautiful.

I love to cut up firewood. I love the smell of two stroke smoke in the morning.

I don't look at it as work, rather cardiovascular exercise. grin
I also count 8.

Funny how you recognize some pieces of firewood from all that prior handling. Like an old friend until you throw it on the fire.
Since we lost the woods on my sister and BIL's farm I quit dropping trees except for the occasional fenceline . I started buying big block tie ends from the railroad tie factory (it's huge) in Rockland. $30 bucks a ton, mostly oak. I still split the big stuff, but it stacks great, has no bark on it, and the price is right when you figure how much time it takes me to get a cord of wood out of the fields and into the house!
Wood heat, only thing that will heat you up more then once with the same chunk of fuel.
While in the woods here on the homeplace....

1a.Roll rounds into front end loader (handle once)....can do half of the bucket with a nudging foot, i run the loader up next to a convenient oak or hickory after i fell it

1b. Drive the loader back to the house about 1/2 mile thru the woods- Dump out into a massive pile-o’-rounds under my ‘furnace carport’ next to my Heatmor OWB (no handling, just dump, no stacking)

3. No need to split, Heatmor OWB takes 18-20” diameter rounds easily ( so forego that handling)

4. Heave a couple of rounds into the unit on a bed of coals (handle twice)

Looks like twice

I can get about 20 ish rounds at the above sizes into my little 35 hp mahindra.
Originally Posted by slumlord
While in the woods here on the homeplace....

1a.Roll rounds into front end loader (handle once)....can do half of the bucket with a nudging foot, i run the loader up next to a convenient oak or hickory after i fell it

1b. Drive the loader back to the house about 1/2 mile thru the woods- Dump out into a massive pile-o’-rounds under my ‘furnace carport’ next to my Heatmor OWB (no handling, just dump, no stacking)

3. No need to split, Heatmor OWB takes 18-20” diameter rounds easily ( so forego that handling)

4. Heave a couple of rounds into the unit on a bed of coals (handle twice)

Looks like twice

I can get about 20 ish rounds at the above sizes into my little 35 hp mahindra.

Smart or Lazy......................

not a whole lotta difference wink

grin
It's hard work, and gets harder with age. But, it keeps things moving, just takes a little longer. It is satisfying when you have your winter's wood stacked, and you only have to feed the stove. That's a GREAT feeling.
Ha!

I dropped a 22” hickory right in front of the furnace shed last summer. It was on the hillside just right beside the shed. Finished dragging it over to the edge of the driveway and my son foot-rolled all the rounds just right in on the slab.

😃

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]
Gotta love it when Ma Nature and your plans come together in agreement, eh?

Prefer a Peavey over a cant hook.
Ha!

I dropped a 22” hickory right in front of the furnace shed last summer. It was on the hillside just right beside the shed. Finished dragging it over to the edge of the driveway and my son foot-rolled all the rounds just right in on the slab.

😃

Dude had me dropping trees on a 35 50 degree slope 3 or 4 yrs ago about 50 60 yds east of that spot.
Had me doing some gulag schit.
I think the political officers/ nkvd had crosshairs on me from somewhere if I didnt perform well.

LOL!!!

Helping out a friend who needed the help is all it was really.
I hate nuisance dangerous trees anyways.

Had 16 of the fuggs in my backyard.
Down to 4 .
They need to go also.
Zero.

That's the whole point of having a family.
I started the load/unload/stack process today. My process is fall the tree, hook up to winch of tractor or bulldozer (depending on size), on the way to the cutting area, stop at burn pile to limb up. Then cut, and use splitter and split onto pallets (to keep the wood of the ground) let dry for a year and then put it into the wood room of our shop (which also houses our pressure tanks (4), generator and air compressor. We store 4 cords of madrone in wood room.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ha!

😃

Dude had me dropping trees on a 35 50 degree slope 3 or 4 yrs ago about 50 60 yds east of that spot.
I think the political officers/ nkvd had crosshairs on me from somewhere if I didnt perform well.

LOL!!!

Down to 4 .
They need to go also.

Ya know, if you get rid of them four trees, toast alla that grass with the chems, and put in a nice garden for Khan wife, a perennial garden or low maintenance rock garden scheidt, you'd never have to mow back there again.
Good firewood will get you warm 3-4 times at least. That's what we always said when I was growing up.
Oh as far as the great debate that is gonna spiral off this thread eventually.
Stihl vs Husky.
All I have ever owned is husky,s

Dont even have a saw now.

Slumlords stihl,s he lets me use from time to time run well.

As long as a saw has 40 to 45 cc,s or better and a 16 to 18 inch bar and runs reliable and maintained .
And you keep the chain sharp throwing good cuttings and not fugging dust. ( morons with dull saws deserve the pain)

What is the great debate about saws anyways.

And away we go!!!!!!!

LOL!!!
Yup. Have to fell the trees first, then do the rest on your list.
Ha!

😃

LOL!!!

Down to 4 .
They need to go also.

Ya know, if you get rid of them four trees, toast alla that grass with the chems, and put in a nice garden for Khan wife, a perennial garden or low maintenance rock garden scheidt, you'd never have to mow back there again.

Ahhhhhhh.....
That aint happening except the 4 trees being gone someday.

I do need to get my final mowing for the year done soon.

Fugg.......

LOL!!!
Stihl vs Husky.

As long as a saw has 40 to 45 cc,s or better and a 16 to 18 inch bar and runs reliable and maintained .
And you keep the chain sharp throwing good cuttings and not fugging dust. ( morons with dull saws deserve the pain)

And away we go!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

I make my wife deal with my wood.

😎
... before you burn it. Wonder that every time I stack wood. Figure at least seven times, not counting falling and limbing.

Rounds
Split
Pile
Load
Unload/stack
Bring into house
Put in stove

Growing up, our home was heated exclusively with wood. We would go through 8 to 9 cords a year. Every spring we would cut a year worth of firewood.

Cut rounds,
Rounds in truck to the wood shed,
Rounds on the ground then split,
Stacked in wood shed to dry for 4 months,
Loaded in cart and taken to the house where its loaded in the wood room,
Wood to Blaze King.

When I moved out of the house, my parents got a heat pump. The last 8 cords we cut has been stacked in the shed since 2005.
7-8 times is about right. At least that’s what I do when in Maine.
Load
Unload
Split
Stack
Into the stove

So N = 5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Can back the trailer right up to the shed

Might only be about 3 times, as Cookie helps out in the woods. Works all mine after it gets home. Cost is $5 a cord from the forest, and I much prefer cutting larger trees (Western Larch/Tamarack).

Five layers deep and usually burn 3 1/2.

About a 5 year supply around the woodshed, and the chopping blocks would probably be good for a month at least. Bunked in the main chopping block so nothing can make it to the ground when splitting. Normally do a tighter stack in the shed, but a neighbor came over to help on the last layer.

Two Stihls with 30+ inch bars and two 1983 ProMacs with 24 inch bars that have been well cared for and can still run with the best. As long as the chains are sharp, the shavings fly.
Live!!

From a backhoe

Damn hedges

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url][
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😎

Good one!! Much better that dealing with it yourself

Rounds
Split
Pile
Load
Unload/stack
Bring into house
Put in stove

I have long said that “warming you twice” was bullshit! smirk
Live!!

From a backhoe

Damn hedges

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url][

Obersturmgruppenfuher gave ya the green light????

Love seeing decorative trees and shrubbery meet steel!!!!

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by roundoak
Stihl vs Husky.

And away we go!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

That pic sums it up rather nicely.

Maybe the great debate wont occur.

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😎

So many dirty responses come to mind...
I remember pieces and why they are shaped like they are
... when i burn them.. but i don't use wood anymore except for a campfire..

Here is my backup wood pile. Four feet high and 17 feet long, two stacks side by side. This pile is a jewel, mostly white oak with some locust and ash.
This dries out well it is under the roof of the carport. Lots of sunshine and wind.

Here is my main wood pile, the wood shed. It is a small building, but a big wood shed. Four stacks, seven feet high and seven and a half feet long. My woodshed
dries out wood three times as fast as the carport shed.
In this woodshed I am getting hickory down to 17 percent moisture content in just 8 months. You must have a low moisture content for these new stoves to burn properly.

As much as I like cutting and splitting firewood, this part is almost better.
A 15 degree January day with the big Jotul Oslo cranking. Nothing like the looks, the ambiance, of a wood stove.
Daisy the Beagle also likes the wood stove.
My girlfriend is a city girl she never heard of a wood stove before she met me. Since we got the big Jotul five years ago, she is a wood stove maniac.
She has declared the wood stove as her "new religion." She is as good at lighting and burning it as I am.

The massive glass front of the new Jotul gives a fantastic view of the fire. You just can't touch it with gas logs.
Stihl vs Husky.

And away we go!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

That pic sums it up rather nicely.

Maybe the great debate wont occur.

LOL!!!

Or, it might..

I swing both ways on the chain saws. I have a Stihl and a Husqvarna. I bought the Stihl 039, thirty three years ago and it still runs like a champ and it has gotten a lot of use.
Building log cabins, cutting firewood, sawing up big timbers usw.
That Husqvarna is a Pro Model and it cost $624, and that was six years ago. Great little 50 cc saw. I have built one cabin with it and cut lots, and lots of firewood.
When it comes to chain saws I am open minded.
Stihl vs Husky.

And away we go!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

I know dat's right.
I cut, split, stacked, hauled, and restacked enough firewood to last me for the rest of my life between the ages of 12 and 22.

You burn a lot of wood when you try to heat 5,000 sf of 200 year old New England farmhouse.

I swing both ways on the chain saws. I have a Stihl and a Husqvarna. I bought the Stihl 039, thirty three years ago and it still runs like a champ and it has gotten a lot of use.
Building log cabins, cutting firewood, sawing up big timbers usw.
That Husqvarna is a Pro Model and it cost $624, and that was six years ago. Great little 50 cc saw. I have built one cabin with it and cut lots, and lots of firewood.
When it comes to chain saws I am open minded.

Poulan?
I wouldn't want to try to heat a 200 year old, giant farm house.

My house looks like it is 200 years old but it is in fact 5 years old. I love the look of the old pioneer houses but it is in fact a modern house with R43 in the ceiling and good insulation in the walls, built snug and tight, because I built it.
This is a 2100 sq. ft. house and I am heating it with 6 Nissan truck loads of wood in a year.
Now this is top quality wood. I don't put any pine in my wood pile this is oak, locust and cherry.

My house looks like it is 200 years old but it is in fact 5 years old. I love the look of the old pioneer houses but it is in fact a modern house with R43 in the ceiling and good insulation in the walls, built snug and tight, because I built it.
This is a 2100 sq. ft. house and I am heating it with 6 Nissan truck loads of wood in a year.
Now this is top quality wood. I don't put any pine in my wood pile this is oak, locust and cherry.

I wouldn't want to own, live in, or try to heat a 200 year old farm house either.

What would you estimate "6 Nissan truck loads" to be in cords?

Was the roof finished in this picture, ie, no fascia board of eave troughs?
5 cord of dry stuff split and stacked. 9.5 cord of green larch cut, split, and stacked with another 4-5 cord mostly larch still to go. Figure 9 minimum times each log gets lifted here, discounting dragging the log out. Cut to length and tossed in truck, stacked to be split, split, the pieces tossed into truck or wheel barrow to be stacked, stacked, tossed in wheel barrow to house, restacked in dry wood pile, then carried in to be stacked in house, then tossed in furnace.
No pictures, in Cedar Rapids , you could get all you'd ever need free.
Don't you guys have gas, or electricity?

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Yep. Also have trees.

mike r

Lol I gave up heating with wood years ago. Thing is I can get pretty much all the wood I need for free from land clearing we do. I simply just have better things to do with my time then fugg around cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood. I do keep about 2 cords of good seasoned hardwoods around for outdoor fires,using in the smoker and actually do have 2 fireplaces in the house that are mostly used occasionally for ambience more than heat.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]It is a lot of work. Here is a load of ash I cut on my driveway in April.A chain saw, a cant hook, and a Fiskars maul. Hubsch. Wunderbar. Beautiful.I love to cut up firewood. I love the smell of two stroke smoke in the morning.
What brand is that saw?

mike r

Yep. Also have trees.

In Oregon?

You're kidding.
What would you estimate "6 Nissan truck loads" to be in cords?

Or ricks?

mike r

Yep. Also have trees.

In Oregon?

You're kidding.

Shocking, huh?

mike r

Yep. Also have trees.

In Oregon?

You're kidding.

Shocking, huh?

Yep,

not enough poles to put politicians heads one even.

mike r

Yep. Also have trees.

In Oregon?

You're kidding.

Shocking, huh?

Yep,

not enough poles to put politicians heads one even.

We could come up with something.

Rounds
Split
Pile
Load
Unload/stack
Bring into house
Put in stove

Steve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the middle of the Labor Day Long Weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

If I may, I'll agree with roundoak in my approach and outlook on cutting firewood in that I prefer to approach it as a combination of exercise and mental relaxation.

Sometimes if I can't get close enough to roll or carry the chunks to the trailer/truck then it's cut first

[Linked Image]

Then it's into the dead sled to the trailer/truck

[Linked Image]

That's two already and then the 3rd is into the trailer and down the mountain.

Once at the yard it needs to get split and stacked down at the initial drying area - not the house as in.

[Linked Image]

It'll usually sit there for at least 6 months, sometimes a year if I'm caught up and then it's in a wheel barrow up to the house.

Then it's stacked at the house, then brought into the house and burned.

Honestly though, if they ever make it unlawful to do here - and they're trying.... - well I'm not sure what I'll do, but the warmth and comfort of a wood fire has been a mainstay of our winters for most of our lives. Fire it seems to me, goes pretty deep in most of us humans.

Thanks for letting me join in and all the best to you all this fall, whether your hunts are for firewood or game - or like me - both.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Rounds
Split
Pile
Load
Unload/stack
Bring into house
Put in stove

Steve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the middle of the Labor Day Long Weekend treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

If I may, I'll agree with roundoak in my approach and outlook on cutting firewood in that I prefer to approach it as a combination of exercise and mental relaxation.

Sometimes if I can't get close enough to roll or carry the chunks to the trailer/truck then it's cut first

[Linked Image]

Then it's into the dead sled to the trailer/truck

[Linked Image]

That's two already and then the 3rd is into the trailer and down the mountain.

Once at the yard it needs to get split and stacked down at the initial drying area - not the house as in.

[Linked Image]

It'll usually sit there for at least 6 months, sometimes a year if I'm caught up and then it's in a wheel barrow up to the house.

Then it's stacked at the house, then brought into the house and burned.

Honestly though, if they ever make it unlawful to do here - and they're trying.... - well I'm not sure what I'll do, but the warmth and comfort of a wood fire has been a mainstay of our winters for most of our lives. Fire it seems to me, goes pretty deep in most of us humans.

Thanks for letting me join in and all the best to you all this fall, whether your hunts are for firewood or game - or like me - both.

Dwayne

Hope all is well up there in Canada Dwayne. Fall will be here soon, although with temp at 94F here today it sure doesn't feel like it. All the green tomatoes on my vines most certainly appreciate the next week or so of summer weather we're getting here though.

Are they honestly trying to stop woodburning on your side of the mountains Dwayne? Are there that many folks burning that it's become an issue for air quality? Forest health? Some other reason?
Valsdad;
Good evening to you sir, we're well but warm too.

It was 88°F here today, so cooler than yesterday for sure and certain, but still a tad warm for me to get too excited about chasing innocent ungulates about the mountains although season opens on Thursday.

We're getting more and more muttering about air quality here in the valley, our part of it is the narrowest physical chunk of the Okanagan so when the weather is wrong for sure smoke can sit in the valley.

For the most part they're still logging the local mountains as much as they always have, though they're more careful with drainage areas as well as getting to replanting quicker so it's better that way.

I'd opine as well that considering our annual wild fire issues they'd best continue to log for the foreseeable future, you know?

The house insurance folks get more stringent with wood burning anything in a structure as well, but one supposes that's all part of the constant change we're all experiencing anymore, no?

For now however, I'll be keeping an eye open for easy to grab Doug Fir this fall and we'll heat the place to a comfy level one more winter!

All the best to you folks this fall sir.

Dwayne
Thanks for the reply Dwayne

The Okanagan is going big time I guess.

We have some air quality days, but for those who's primary heat source is wood, it's not an issue, we're still allowed to burn. But, no burning piles or trash barrels on those days.

Over to the west, in the populated areas, I hear it's different. As in there are some total no burn days.

One of my firewood guys is supposed to start resupplying me this week. I've still got a couple of months worth stacked in the woodshed, and some logs that need the small ends cut off for fenceposts and the large ends cut into rounds, so I think we'll be OK.

Enjoy your evening.
Won’t be long, Geno will break out the plum colored cardigan with charlie brown aztec zig zags on the front
Valsdad;
Thanks for your reply sir!

We're doing not too too bad as far as industry goes here in the Okanagan, though the tourism has been hit hard by the beer flu they've allowed logging and sawmills to keep running.

The logging comment was more towards your question on the health of the forest and really the firewood guys don't take enough wood to make much difference at all since we're restricted to dead wood for the most part.

We too have no more burn piles or trash barrels - well I need to say I can get a burn permit on our acreage, but one needs to check with the air quality rating first, then advise the local fire dept, etc before lighting it. While some still do, I'm within a few km of the land fill where they grind up all the prunings, slash and pine needles up and compost it.

So far we're not having "no burn" days here, but in some towns north of us there's days where they'll have a burning advisory and ask folks to curtail burning unless necessary. Again it's mostly because most of us BC folks live at the bottoms of river valleys where inversions and such are a fact of life in winter.

Thanks again and you have a good evening and hopefully a good Monday as well sir.

Dwayne
Won’t be long, Geno will break out the plum colored cardigan with charlie brown aztec zig zags on the front

Dang right, cardigans rule...................no jumpers (sweaters for some) for me.
I burn around 5 chords of oak each winter. Up until 5 years ago I and my farm hand fell the trees and did everything else to get the wood in my home. I'm older now so I call my wood guy, who does it all and delivers and stacks it.
seven for me, if everything goes right.

sometimes move some an extra time or two, especially if I don't split everything right away, or if I need to get it under a tarp before the next step.
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Since we lost the woods on my sister and BIL's farm I quit dropping trees except for the occasional fenceline . I started buying big block tie ends from the railroad tie factory (it's huge) in Rockland. $30 bucks a ton, mostly oak. I still split the big stuff, but it stacks great, has no bark on it, and the price is right when you figure how much time it takes me to get a cord of wood out of the fields and into the house!

At $30 a ton you would be a lunatic not to buy it.
A Nissan truck load is 4 feet by 6 feet by 2 feet, more or less.

Yes we, as modern humans, go way back, when it comes to sitting around a fire. Look at the name of this forum. Who hasn't been on a campout on a hunting trip, and sat around the camp fire talking to his buddies. No tv or radio to distract, there is something magical about gazing at a wood fire, and talking with your friends.

We know that modern humans were in Europe at least 35,000 years ago. That gives us 23,000 years of living in the Ice Age. The man who could light a fire and keep it burning had a good chance of survival. The man who could not keep a fire burning, he died. And so did his wife and his baby. They all froze to death.

It is in our DNA to enjoy a wood fire.

And it is even more in the DNA of the female. When I was a swinging bachelor, college boy in Atlanta at age 20, I found an old house out in the country on the north side of Atlanta, that had a wood burning fireplace. In those days, almost nobody had a wood burning fireplace in Atlanta, and nobody had ever heard of a wood stove. I just loved to light that fireplace and gaze into it.
And I found out that, if I got a coed out there and she watched me light that fire, pretty soon it was going to be 10 up and 10 down. Let her see you light the fire, 100 percent effective.
Twice. The tractor does the rest. laugh
The little I split, I have a tire screwed on a log block, that saves a lot of picking up.
This is an average year for us. about 16 face cord. With all the dead ash and the super dry conditions in the swampy ground I own, I currently have about 3 years worth cut into rounds and hauled up to the house. I still enjoy processing wood, but as I get older I can see it becoming more of a burden than anything.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
The little I split, I have a tire screwed on a log block, that saves a lot of picking up.

Wabi, I use the same concept, but the tire is portable for splitting when and where needed.

What’s is yurns friggin obsession with firewood is.
Y’all know there are things such as electricity, then central heating and air things, gas and so on and so forth?
I grew up with a wood stove and still have a wood stove on one end of the house and gas on the other end. I like wood heating and for some reason kinda enjoy cutting it. But lets face it it is a pain in the ass. Fell the tree if it’s not down already, Cut it , pile it, load it, unload it, split it, stack it,make kinlin, load it in wheel barrow or 4 wheeler trailer, bring it in the house, put in stove, start fire, keep fire stoked up however many times a day while at then same time adding more wood during the day and night. Keep mess cleaned up and swept up around stove, load ashes in bucket every so often carry outside somewhere, and dump, get gas and oil for chainsaw, mix chainsaw gas and oil, maintain saw/keep maintenance up on chainsaw, keep fuggin chain sharp,
Whole fuggin house smells like wood, clothes smell like wood, go out in a date, guess what your clothes smell like wood, everything smells like wood. Leave house for a few hours or have too be gone for the day for work or whatever reason then you come house colder than heck, hope like heck you at least have enough coals left so you don’t have too start a whole new blankety blank fire again. Oh yes wood heat is so great 🙄🙄
All that being said I still enjoy wood heat with a good roaring fire or a nice fireplace. Yes it’s good as backup or too burn sometimes. But let’s be truthful it’s a fuggin pain in the ass.
Sometimes it takes a little more coaxing. Grenade wedge to the rescue.

Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Y’all know there are things such as electricity, then central heating and air things, gas and so on and so forth?
I grew up with a wood stove and still have a wood stove on one end of the house and gas on the other end. I like wood heating and for some reason kinda enjoy cutting it. But lets face it it is a pain in the ass. Fell the tree if it’s not down already, Cut it , pile it, load it, unload it, split it, stack it,make kinlin, load it in wheel barrow or 4 wheeler trailer, bring it in the house, put in stove, start fire, keep fire stoked up however many times a day while at then same time adding more wood during the day and night. Keep mess cleaned up and swept up around stove, load ashes in bucket every so often carry outside somewhere, and dump, get gas and oil for chainsaw, mix chainsaw gas and oil, maintain saw/keep maintenance up on chainsaw, keep fuggin chain sharp,
Whole fuggin house smells like wood, clothes smell like wood, go out in a date, guess what your clothes smell like wood, everything smells like wood. Leave house for a few hours or have too be gone for the day for work or whatever reason then you come house colder than heck, hope like heck you at least have enough coals left so you don’t have too start a whole new blankety blank fire again. Oh yes wood heat is so great 🙄🙄
All that being said I still enjoy wood heat with a good roaring fire or a nice fireplace. Yes it’s good as backup or too burn sometimes. But let’s be truthful it’s a fuggin pain in the ass.

Mr. Killjoy laugh
You learn why they say, "Crouchdy". laugh
Looks like wild cherry
Yes, sir roundoak. The Wood Grenade.

Here I am whacking some black walnut with the Wood Grenade last spring. A very effective tool.

And here is the wood from that tree. This is my backup to the backup pile. I had no more room in my wood piles so I set a big ladder down on the ground.
This will go into the wood shed in February. This pile is 14 feet x 4 feet high.

Just last week I went up behind the house and cut a dump truck load of larch. Some of the trees were far enough back that I had to either carry the wood quite a distance of throw it twice. So, apart from falling and bucking I handled it twice to get it in the truck, again to split it with the maul, and once more to put it in the shed. The easy stuff, I only handled once to get it in the truck. At least, with the dump truck, I don't have to throw it out of the truck! Two more loads should do it. The larch is fairly nice to work with since there are not too many limbs. Pine kind of sucks in that regard; depending on the individual tree. The next load will be mostly lodgepole pine which has been beetled over the past couple of years and is nice and dry now. Then a dead larch in the campground (have to wait for the campers to leave before I fall that one) and a couple of big ones nearby. I have been heating with wood (augmented by a pellet stove over the last five years) for a long time and I'll confess to getting a little tired of it. A few more years and I'll have to start looking at alternative heating sources. GD
Good eye.
It's steep and rocky where we cut.
So the formula begins with how far you carry it/how many times you throw it,
to get it near the truck.

With luck, its how many 20 foot chains you hook together to drag the tree
to the road.

Last few years we have bought it.
Got it ordered now.
Hopefully, now that certain issues are settled, I can get back to cutting.
I enjoy it, but it's inconvient.
14 miles away, and a 20 minute crawl out of the woods.
Not something I can do casually, it requires 3 or 4 hours just to
get a load of billets to the house.
The key thing is, how close is the wood to the truck. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to the tree. But, it better be right close to the road where I can easily get to it.
About 20 feet is the farthest I want to haul firewood.
I especially am not going to haul cut wood up a mountainside. There are so many trees growing here in the NC mountains, I can afford to be picky.

Here is my backup wood pile. Four feet high and 17 feet long, two stacks side by side. This pile is a jewel, mostly white oak with some locust and ash.
This dries out well it is under the roof of the carport. Lots of sunshine and wind.

Here is my main wood pile, the wood shed. It is a small building, but a big wood shed. Four stacks, seven feet high and seven and a half feet long. My woodshed
dries out wood three times as fast as the carport shed.
In this woodshed I am getting hickory down to 17 percent moisture content in just 8 months. You must have a low moisture content for these new stoves to burn properly.

As much as I like cutting and splitting firewood, this part is almost better.
A 15 degree January day with the big Jotul Oslo cranking. Nothing like the looks, the ambiance, of a wood stove.
Daisy the Beagle also likes the wood stove.
My girlfriend is a city girl she never heard of a wood stove before she met me. Since we got the big Jotul five years ago, she is a wood stove maniac.
She has declared the wood stove as her "new religion." She is as good at lighting and burning it as I am.

The massive glass front of the new Jotul gives a fantastic view of the fire. You just can't touch it with gas logs.

Awesome. Every picture has its special positive features.

Question: How do you split? By hand or machine? I did see you used a hand splitter for some black walnut, but mebbe that was specialized?

I run a 35 ton huskee, and use it on nothing but hardwood. The only thing to slow it down has been big oak rounds over about 36" , which we place on it with a loader.

I split by hand. I have the great classic maul from the previous century, the Monster Maul.
Reluctantly I stepped into the Modern Age a few years ago and bought the Fiskars. It is about 4 pounds lighter than the Monster Maul and works just as well.
I hate to say it but the Fiskars is a better maul.

Six truck loads to heat that house. I am envious. You said the truck box is 4'x6'x2' so that is 48 cubic feet. 6 truck loads would be 288 cu. ft.. A standard full cord is 128 cu. ft. So that is 2.25 cords of wood. (Mathman can check my figuring)

Man! If I had all those hassles, I too would give up on wood. Life is much easier with my stove, equipment, and storage all within a few steps, and I've never had anyone comment on a wood or smoke oder in our home or on our persons. If I load our stove up, we can leave for 48 hours and still have fire on the return. Dump ashes and clean chimney once a year. We also have an oil stove and electric furnace if we want to exit for a month, but wood does the bulk of our heating in a 2,400 sq ft two story home. Usually burn here from Oct to first or second week of June.
Originally Posted by 1minute

Man! If I had all those hassles, I too would give up on wood. Life is much easier with my stove and equipment, and I've never had anyone comment on a wood or smoke oder in our home or on our persons.

For people that cut and stack their own firewood which part is not true? 🤪
We do have a propane heater in the house. We run it when it is a high of 60 and a low of 40.
But we do most of the heat with the Jotul wood stove.

mike r
laugh Electricity - yes.. Gas - no.. Don't want it either.. Fuel oil furnace for the times wood is too much heat. One 265 tank lasts me 2-3 years, easy. 4 - 5 cords of wood lasts all winter. It's already cut/split at a farm 17 miles E of me.. With tractor and FEL (rock bucket) I can fill my 12' dump trailer in about 15 minutes. Five to six trips and the year's wood is done.. I run the trailer into the pole shed, dump it off and get another load. One hour between loads. Even counting the trailering of the tractor both ways, I'm done inside of ten hours.. Wood costs me $150/full cord. About $800 total including truck fuel.

If I tried to heat the house with only fuel oil it would easily run double+ that.. And there's just nothing like wood heat (inside wood stove - Osburn 2400 model). I stack a full cord on the front porch and have a cart to wheel it into the house. Loading that takes maybe five minutes.

I won't have gas.. Besides, then the gas co. has you by the short hairs.. Can't 'store' natural gas, and LP is really spendy around here..

FWIW... smile smile
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by 1minute

Man! If I had all those hassles, I too would give up on wood. Life is much easier with my stove and equipment, and I've never had anyone comment on a wood or smoke oder in our home or on our persons.

For people that cut and stack their own firewood which part is not true? 🤪

Well, like 1minute, generally no smokey odor in our house or on our clothes. And my stove is efficient enough should I leave for the day, a nice fire in the morning, a stick or two, depending on diameter, put on when we leave, dampered down, house still well about 60F when we get home, even when it's well below freezing outside.

We have an electric furnace, and even with the lowest electric rates in the State, it serves as backup to the wood heat.
If my biggest problem is that I smell like wood or woodsmoke, I'll be OK. For most of my working life I have always smelled like the work I did. Sometimes like wood/sawdust, somtimes like diesel fuel, cutting oil, Hoppes #9, hay or silage, manure, and a host of other things. Wood smoke is likely one of the more pleasant odors I may exude! GD

Here is my brother last March showing a white oak drum who the boss is. We got this off of craigslist.
Got 3 Nissan truck loads. It was a 30 minute drive and we could drive right up to the oak trunks.
A great score. That is unusual. Most of the "free firewood" on craigslist is either rotten crappy wood,
or it is where the guy knows he needs a tree surgeon to do a dangerous job, and he is looking for a sucker.

Wabi, I use the same concept, but the tire is portable for splitting when and where needed.

I do something similar, except I use a cam strap and a bungee cord. Some of my rounds are 40+ inches across. I'd have to use a tractor tire.
Got most of the wood stacked in the new shed. One more load. Was getting warm and I didn't want to drive the tractor in the woods as we're under a fire warning. Finish it up tomorrow or some time this week.
Don't know that I'll ever get tried of using wood for heat. I have just about 100 acres of forested land; Red Oak, White Oak, Black Oak, Hickory, Ash, Maple and Cherry. I use 4-5 chain saws, 20" Huskys and a Stihl 066 with a 36" bar for the really big stuff. I use 2 splitters; one in the woods to break down big rounds for loading, and another where I split and stack wood. I burn probably 6 cords every year from late September thru March. I'm all set for this year, and just marked some standing dead and blow-downs that I'll start bringing in this winter when it's cooler outside. I find it relaxing and great exercise.
Haven't read the whole thread, but add to the list: restack after neighbor's dog or wild animals root through the stack.
Hadn't thought about that. If the dog sees a chipmunk or squirrel go in the stack of wood it's game on.
Right now, I put up firewood for 2 fireplaces, 2 wood stoves and a cook stove, plus I sell several cords of wood each year, so I use some mechanical aids.

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Haven't read the whole thread, but add to the list: restack after neighbor's dog or wild animals root through the stack.

Hadn't thought about that. If the dog sees a chipmunk or squirrel go in the stack of wood it's game on.

fortunately this guy didn't disturb the woodpile.

But the next spring he bought the farm trying to get into the chicken gulag.
I'm in Rounder's camp.
The fewer touches, the happier.

Clipper whacks the tree, skidder to the landing, processor into truck logs. Logs on truck, to deck in town yard. When the processor is brought to town for maintenance, we calibrate it cutting firewood, either dumping it into a DUMP trailer or into a pile we'll load with a skid steer.

From rounds to split cords, that's handwork other people deal with. One friend has a clever portable splitter, the rounds roll onto the bottom of a conveyor, onto a plate placed about chest high, slide into the splitter, then fall out onto another platform that is hip high. Do it right and the wood goes right into the stack, no pickiee uppie at all.

Best of all is a guy who has gone full pro. He gets bad logs in his yard and has everything mechanized, rounds cut to exact length, split right into client trailers and away they go.
I've never been around a walnut fire, is it a good scent?
Black walnut has a distinctive odor. Of course, most of the smoke goes up the chimney of my high quality wood stove. But I do get a whiff when adding logs.
I like the smell of burning black walnut.
Red cedar has a pleasant aroma when burned. I think is is bad about building creosote in the chimney.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I've never been around a walnut fire, is it a good scent?

Sweet
Finally got the last of the split stuff in the new shed. A few more rounds in the woods that I'll get done in the next week or two.

Still a bit smoky but not as bad as earlier in the week. Mostly fog.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'm in Rounder's camp.
The fewer touches, the happier.

Clipper whacks the tree, skidder to the landing, processor into truck logs. Logs on truck, to deck in town yard. When the processor is brought to town for maintenance, we calibrate it cutting firewood, either dumping it into a DUMP trailer or into a pile we'll load with a skid steer.

From rounds to split cords, that's handwork other people deal with. One friend has a clever portable splitter, the rounds roll onto the bottom of a conveyor, onto a plate placed about chest high, slide into the splitter, then fall out onto another platform that is hip high. Do it right and the wood goes right into the stack, no pickiee uppie at all.

Best of all is a guy who has gone full pro. He gets bad logs in his yard and has everything mechanized, rounds cut to exact length, split right into client trailers and away they go.

How much does a cord go for there Dave?

I have friend in the firewood business, among other things, that I'd like to see modernize, but with a cord going for $150-$170 split from folks doing it as side work, it's hard to invest in the machinery and expect much payback in a reasonable time.

I suppose we could go all venture capitalist, work at a loss for a couple of years, run everyone else out of business, then up our prices to recoup the losses............I'm just not that kind of guy.
Finally got the last of the split stuff in the new shed. A few more rounds in the woods that I'll get done in the next week or two.

[Linked Image]

That is a sweet shed/tractor port.

I need to find some part time retired guy work (no Walmart here, so no greeter jobs) to be able to afford one like that!
Yes Steve, that's a cool shed.

Thanks. Just don't look to close at it. Carpentry is not one of my skills.

Dude,

My brother builds multimillion homes in SoCal and says your carpentry works just fine.

False modesty. Carpentry is one of my skills and that is a good looking shed. Timber framed, and massive roof overhangs about like I would do.
Our little wood rack in Wabigoon.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It's not square. Not sure what I did as I measured the hell out of things. If you look at the peak of the flashing you'll see the spacers we had to put in to get the flashing to mate with the rest of the metal roof. About 2 inches out.
Are you going to take it to the fair? laugh

[Linked Image]

Awesome wood/tractor shed!
It's not square. Not sure what I did as I measured the hell out of things. If you look at the peak of the flashing you'll see the spacers we had to put in to get the flashing to mate with the rest of the metal roof. About 2 inches out.

Just like long distance shooting and your lat/long coordinates.

You need to take the coriolis effect into account on those long runs Steve.
I run very strong saws and highly aggressive chain.

If I am cutting up an 18 to 30 inch diameter log... I cut 2" or 3" frisbee discs. If I am bucking up smaller logs or branches I make my pieces about the size of a coffee can.

I never cut anything bigger then I can handle with one hand tossing it into the bed of my dump truck.

Dump the truck near the back door. Handle the wood a second time when I go get it for the wood stove.

When I finish building the house up in West Virginia and I have an outside wood furnace I'll probably cut the pieces bigger.

[Linked Image]

Very nice job, Steve. Looks great to me.

Something to think about would be those beams running outside the roof line. I've found that often times, after several years of sun and rain (looks like you noramlly get plenty of rain), the ends will start to rot unless religiously kept painted or sealed. To combat that eventual headache I've been attaching galvanized L flashing cut and bent to fit the top and sides of beam. Might save some problems down the road. Easily painted to match. Just my humble 2 cents.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Very nice job, Steve. Looks great to me.

Something to think about would be those beams running outside the roof line. I've found that often times, after several years of sun and rain (looks like you noramlly get plenty of rain), the ends will start to rot unless religiously kept painted or sealed. To combat that eventual headache I've been attaching galvanized L flashing cut and bent to fit the top and sides of beam. Might save some problems down the road. Easily painted to match. Just my humble 2 cents.

All the beams are pressure treated. They seem to hold up here. Even our 10 yo deck beams are in good shape.
Might have to do something about the rafter end's though. There is flashing over them, but not all the way

Two inches out? Du faul Schweinehund! Ganz Verboten!

NEVER tell what you know and can see that others can’t!

We are out own worst critics.
Valsdad,
I heard from a motel owner that the pro guy charges 125 a cord if you bring your trailer. So Mister Motel like to go over from the east side of the mountain over the pass (about six hours, 300 miles r/t) with his trailer and his wife. They hit the retail coming or going as it's better shopping than in Conrad pop about 2000.
But yes, there are still people dumb enough to hand-job all of that and only charge 175-200 stacked. Crazy. That's a lot of effing work and not real profitable.
My regular firewood guy has been busy. With fall approaching I had another guy deliver some today. $150 for a full cord (he's new to me so I measured), split and delivered, but I get to move and stack it in the shed.

This fella came with two helpers, young neighbors. Don't know how much he's paying them, seems they all watched football games at his mom's property up the road where he gets the wood before they came by.

Delivered on Modoc time. He was supposed to be here at 1000, called about 0935 and asked if 1600 would be OK so he could watch some football, called again at 1610 or so and said "we're on the way, it'll be about 25 minutes, ok? " grin

Guys like this are why I would find it hard to mechanize my friend's firewood operation. Hard to beat $150 a cord, delivered, no sawing necessary, no splitting necessary.

I like to split wood too, my other guy usually goes $170 or so split, $150 for rounds which I prefer. But I can't lose on today's deal either.
What kinda wood is that, Geno? Looks almost like juniper from the pic.
© 24hourcampfire