Home
That's what the NWS is saying we have in store for us today. We're on the leeward side of the hill but fairly high up. Hoping it don't get too sporty and some bozo doesn't start a fire.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bald-peak-state-park/97123/hourly-weather-forecast/25263_poi

https://www.oregonlive.com/weather/...downed-trees-power-outages-possible.html
I’d take that. We just had a Cat 4 hurricane, won’t have power for a month. My $9000 Generac yard ornament quit after 4 days. It’s in the high 90s with 80-99% humidity.

Didn’t hear about Hurricane Laura? That’s because it didn’t hit Yankees or it would be 24/7 coverage.
I hear ya. Hope you're holdin' up.

We're surrounded by 100ft doug firs. Fire is our #1 concern.

Am gonna fire up the generator. Haven't done it in a few months. Better than even chance we lose power.
We have some friends near Goldendale, WA. They bought a retired fire truck for protection. They keep it full of water and gassed up all summer just in case. It wouldn't help much in the pines but they have lots of grassland around them, too. It could help a lot if that got to burning.

The weather's nuts here. 85 today, 38 tonight????????, 63 tomorrow. How do we get that cold this time of year? I have 3 trees of nectarines and peaches that aren't quite ripe yet.
Hell, Colorado and Wyoming is supposed to go from 85 to snow in twelve hours.
Cooler here at 55 now but strong winds. Not good given the fires burning.
Steve:

We have the same forecast down here in Southern Oregon. We are prepared for Pacific Power to preemptively shut off power. We have had probably a dozen fires in the county started by power lines in the last two months - and that is without high winds, high temps and lower humidity. Very little recover is forecast for the next couple of mornings.
Originally Posted by Steve
Hell, Colorado and Wyoming is supposed to go from 85 to snow in twelve hours.

Dug the snow shovel out of the shed this morning, got it cocked and locked. laugh

These early fall snow storms can be very damaging to trees that still have the leaves on. Same thing in the late spring when they are all leafed out.
That's pretty normal around here in summer. Right now, it is about 90 and we are simultaneously under a red flag warning and a winter storm watch.
Originally Posted by logger
Steve:

We have the same forecast down here in Southern Oregon. We are prepared for Pacific Power to preemptively shut off power. We have had probably a dozen fires in the county started by power lines in the last two months - and that is without high winds, high temps and lower humidity. Very little recover is forecast for the next couple of mornings.

PGE has said they might shut down power on Mt. Hood. Haven't heard about here. They might though. We had the power line on the road fall a couple years ago. Arced for twenty minutes. Burnt the hell out of the road and the ground. Thank God it was in the winter or I'm sure it would have started a fire. Hoping it doesn't happen today.

Been a few gusts, but not blowing much at all right now.
74 today and 15 tonight in Stanley...ccccccold. Windy and low 40’s tonight in the valley

Good time to break out your helmet...
Steve, presently right there with your forecast. Had a gust just now at 22mph, steady around 15mph. 9% humidity................it's a dry heat for sure.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.4871&lon=-120.5425#.V_E6IMmmSXA

I think archery deer ended yesterday, so outside of the Labor Day campers, hopefully no one is out there leaving a campfire burning.

Enjoy your "inland weather" while you have it. The WET is coming soon enough for you folks.
I am NOT missing last weeks wind and heat.

Not one bit.

Good luck with it....no fires!
Yeah, good luck.
Should roll several of our wildfires into serious infernos.
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Didn’t hear about Hurricane Laura? That’s because it didn’t hit Yankees or it would be 24/7 coverage.

Oh we heard about it but because the Left thought they could bash Trump over the story.
That's what the NWS is saying we have in store for us today. We're on the leeward side of the hill but fairly high up. Hoping it don't get too sporty and some bozo doesn't start a fire.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bald-peak-state-park/97123/hourly-weather-forecast/25263_poi

I did it again....Double posted after you on the same thing....I gotta start checking your threads.

😬😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I did it again....Double posted after you on the same thing....I gotta start checking your threads.

😬😎

No problem! wink

Still not to windy. Just a gentle breeze.
Didnt really put the clues together from the title.
But can see how those conditions would be worrisome to many people in areas of the country that are members on here.
35 mph wind - hah. We had 140, every light pole in Lake Charles, LA is down. All 7 high voltage lines that feed us is “catastrophically damaged”. Been two weeks Wednesday and I’m being told 4-6 more before it’s restored.
The 40-60mph wind isn't so bad, but combined with lots of dry fuel and the potential for fire it makes for scary conditions.

We try to stay home(on the greener, less windy river bottom) when it gets like that.

But yeah, hurricane force winds would flatten the country up here.

No thanks!
Steve: At 4:00 PM today it was snowing/sleeting/raining here and blowin hard - and 35 degrees!
Quite a change from Sunday with a high, that I saw, of 84!
Not much chance at all of new fires around here today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Just checked the "official" local weather site and 34.1 degrees was the afternoon low with gusts to 41 and 0.33" precip.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Steve: At 4:00 PM today it was snowing/sleeting/raining here and blowin hard - and 35 degrees!
Quite a change from Sunday with a high, that I saw, of 84!
Not much chance at all of new fires around here today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Just checked the "official" local weather site and 34.1 degrees was the afternoon low with gusts to 41 and 0.33" precip.

It's your cold air that's supposed to make it blow here. Snow on fully leafed out trees and wind is a mess.
35 mph wind - hah. We had 140, every light pole in Lake Charles, LA is down. All 7 high voltage lines that feed us is “catastrophically damaged”. Been two weeks Wednesday and I’m being told 4-6 more before it’s restored.

It's not the wind so much as fire. We've not much rain since mid June. When your surrounded by 100ft tall fir trees and a power line goes or someone does something stupid, it could be sporty.

That being said, I don't envy you guys. My cousin's widow lives near New Llano. Not sure if she's back home yet.
I just checked the radar, and the nastiness is only about 150 miles north of us right now - over mid-Idaho - and marching south. Ought to be here about midnight or sooner. Lots of rain and high elevation snow showing in it, which would be welcome, but the winds and temps are not. Oh well...
We seem to have lucked out. Max winds were 33 mph at 3 a.m. and are only half that right now. And we got a quarter-inch of rain out of it so far. That's the first rain since June 28. Could still get a bit more, if luck holds. Temp is 45.
We're getting a lot of wind down here on the CA border.....Winds are blowing pretty hard, and the front yard is covered in Green Leaves and branches... we've also got smoke like crazy since over night...

Air Quality alerts, listed as hazardous for older people and babies..

High heat warnings for next 32 hour or so... 100+ degrees...

Red Flag forcast and warnings for fire watch....

very low humidity 4%... along with winds they are concerned about fire potential...
I fought forest fires for many years (collateral duty stuff).

There was a video of a "running crown fire" overtaking Yellowstone Village and us fire folks screaming at the news media to get the hell out of the way.

I have relooked for the video in the past and never found it.

Plenty of other running crown fire video on the internet... unreal stuff.

Wind-driven running Crown fires are such a freakish type of fire... like the top of every tree in the forest set with a claymore and the whole bloody Forest charges at you at 20 miles an hour.

Good luck fellas...
Power went in and out a few times last night. Heard arcing once on the road up the hill. Picked up a few limbs last night but didn't hear any trees come down.

Still a little breezy.

Several fires in the area but nothing close to us as far as I know.

Just getting light now. Probably have stuff to add to the burn pile, but no bad at all.
I was going to say (smugly) that I'm glad I live in Northern Ohio. But...we had 4" of rain in a short period yesterday and now there are flash flood warnings.

It's crazy all over.
Winds hit 39 MPH at the airport in town last night around 10:00.

We're lucky here in that we're usually 5-10mph less. I think my cheeseball anemometer recorded a 27 mph gust last night. There's a big ridge behind us that pushes South and SW winds over us, and another smaller one across the valley that keeps the NE ones at bay somewhat. A direct N wind is about the worst, but I think we've still only hit around 40 since we moved here 4 years ago.

The thirty degree drop in temps is sort of nice, except for the green maters in the beds. 66F now, 97F yesterday. I'm going out this afternoon to put the visqueen over the hoops to catch some heat for the night, frost warnings here.

Then back up to near 90F by Sunday. Gotta love it around here. Only thing missing is some rain, which is very much needed. Looks like maybe showers over west of us, but not supposed to get here.

Power was out for a couple of hours today again, after a 3 hour outage the other day. Wind damage to lines. Got to test my new generator to run our well. We're set now,. wood stove for heat if needed. Campstoves for cooking if too hot for the woodstove.
Santiam Valley on fire. Idahna, Detroit, Silver falls all under mandatory evacuation.

https://ktvz.com/news/fire-alert/20...owned-trees-wildfires-close-hwys-22-126/
Around this place it happens most of the time.

Along with a lot of dirt in the air.

It is going on now.
Power has been out for 13 hours. Generator is up and running the main house right this moment. The other houses get generator support every few hours.

Playing musical chairs with a genny is a hoot!

😎
Well scheidt.

Does our "Santiam" live there?
Power has been out for 13 hours. Generator is up and running the main house right this moment. The other houses get generator support every few hours.

Playing musical chairs with a genny is a hoot!

😎

That's what I'm looking at if we ever go down long time. Run genset for the well, fill jugs, take showers, let water heater catch up. Then if needed move generator closer to house and power cords through the window for the fridge and stuff.

I've got one little one that was here with the house, camping size, but I haven't been able to get it to start with just minor fooling around. Likely need to pull carb etc and try over. Or just scheidtcan it and buy another small one.

Hope yours comes back on soon.
Mill City.

G, it could be sometime before power resumes. TPUD is bringing lines up slow to ensure sparking won’t cause a fire.

It’s a process that doesn’t have my elk meat and assortment of frozen food items on the endangered species list I’m afraid.

😬😎
Mill City.

I’ve posted up the wife and dog with a garden hose to protect our property from accidental sparks.

It’s basically a good way to get some peace and quiet from her constant questions about when I should move the generator.

🤣😎
Where are you at, Beav?
Where are you at, Beav?

Just North of Tillamook

😎
Okay. Good. You guys got a ton of smoke.

Haven't heard of any fires in the Coast Range.
Mill City.

Man, that sucks to be in Mill City and other places along that corridor right now. Not a whole lot of ways out of that area once the fires start raging. Down here in Hillsboro near the airport that wind is really gusting hard still and I'm worried about some of the mature trees around the place. Haven't lost power yet except for a couple blinking incidents where my electronic devices (including my computer) went down and needed to be reprogrammed (set the clock).... wink

A buddy lives in Springdale just below Corbett and he tells me there is a new fire up on Larch Mountain and they are having to evacuate with helicopters because there is only one way out of there and it is blocked by the fires... Mt. Hood is pretty much closed right now due to fires and the areas around Black Butte, Green Ridge, and that whole area is either on fire or waiting to blow up any minute... just hope this storm doesn't bring dry lightning or we'll be in deep crap here soon.... the smoke haze here in the valley was pretty impressive last night and early this morning. I'm sure people with breathing issues were having real difficulties ...

Hope everyone stays safe until this little episode is over... Steve, let me know if you need any help or have an emergency that requires assistance...

Bob
My cousin owns the Cedars restaurant in Detroit. Also the Mountain High Store. My Great Aunt and Uncle started it at the old town site. They moved to it current location when the dam flooded the old site. Worked there one summer in '76. Had a lot of fun. Hope it and the rest of the town are still standing.
Originally Posted by Sheister
Steve, let me know if you need any help or have an emergency that requires assistance...

Bob

Thanks Bob. We're good other than a few branches.
No fires. We caught the heavy smell of acrid smoke only last night.

😎
Salem, Oregon area.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😎
Yesterday evening..... mid 90's and smoky.

Currently 28 and snowing.

[Linked Image from i938.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i938.photobucket.com]
Everything is perfect here except fire smoke from Oregon and California making its way through.
Few minutes ago. Smoke from the Santiam fire working its way up the valley.

[Linked Image]
That's gotta suck down there Steve. Here it just resembles 1970s LA smog.
Kinda like Armaggeddon down this way on the CA Border...

I 5 is closed both directions in Several spots, with no alternate routes to take, and no place to really put all the people that are being stranded down here right now...

We have fires burning all over the place, and winds blowing , then dying down and then flaring up again, as another fire starts up again...

Air Quality sucks .. real bad.. heavy smoke everywhere, and especially here in Josephine County, and over toward the coast..

They are evacuating Happy Camp, across the border into Northern Cal, over in the direction.. the entire town, we're getting all its smoke...

at my place we have at least 10 fires burning within 10 miles of my house, in a 360 degree circle...most are a 1000 to 2000 acres right now, and just started this afternoon...its real mountainous around here, and these are starting in steep canyons, and grow instantly due to the winds...

Current temp is 100 degrees and humidity is like 4%.....This is ridiculous... many people in southern Oregon are hanging on to the News on TV or the radio, waiting to see where the next evacuation orders are going to be made......

Many older times are really really concerned... the widow next door is 76 and is really having a melt down, worried about her two Golden Retrievers... I'll take care of them if she can't..

The only reason you can see the surrounding mountainsides, throw the smoke is the fires burning on them...

Be glad when this crap is said and done...so we can get back to just worry about the little things... Covid 19 and fear of the democRATS getting back into the White House, so they can make up for lost time in destroying the country....

its 6 PM and the sky looks like 8 PM when it is getting dark....

Wish us luck...
[quote=Valsdad]Well scheidt.

Does our "Santiam" live there?

[/quote

Luckily I am between the fires.. Santiam canyon to the north and the McKenzie canyon to the south.. Very bad..I have heard that that the entire town of Blue River burnt down..

Took this pic out the back door this morning.. That would be up the McKenzie..

I am on level one evacuation.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image]

pretty much the same, if not worse and thicker down here....

Thanks for posting Steve...gives a visual idea of what is happening here in Oregon...

Wonder if its bad enough that Antifa will take a night off with NLM in Potland... heard they got loose in Salem last night...
I just got a call from my BIL in Colton, OR. They are being told to evac their house right now.

I didn’t know we had a couple new fires break loose in that direction.

😎
Jesus guys. We had it bad up in WA a couple years ago when the BC fires smoke plowed through so I can relate.vworst part is that you can't escape it. I remember hacking up every morning some gross stuff and having headaches all day. Good luck.
Those are some ominous looking smoke clouds, damn!

Stay safe out there and good luck with the wind.
The smoke is still very high and hasn't laid down yet, so the air is clear. Just had a fire truck go by followed by an incident command about 15 minutes later. Fire sprung up about 3 miles from here. Downwind for now.

Beaver, friend of my wife who lives near Beaver Creek is being told to get ready to evac from the Colton fire.
Originally Posted by Seafire

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting Steve...gives a visual idea of what is happening here in Oregon...

Wonder if its bad enough that Antifa will take a night off with NLM in Potland... heard they got loose in Salem last night...

I read the the town of Phoenix was impacted pretty badly by that fire. They had planes dropping retardant in the city limits.
My mother lives with my sister in Sumner, WA. She says they have fires all around them and there're fears they might have to evacuate. 8 houses burned in a small town 15 miles from them. Today is the 1st I've heard about it because all the news is about the CA fires.
Dammit. My family cabin area is being evacuated. The Feather River canyon is well known for high winds.

I'm two hours away.
Saw on the news there is a fire just out of Oregon City caused by an exploding transformer. Happened so fast a bunch of people had to just jump in their rigs and take off- couldn't save anything.... it was marching up those canyons pretty fast... this is insane what is happening here. I'm 67 and I've never seen anything like it .....

Bob
Originally Posted by Seafire

[Linked Image]

I read the the town of Phoenix was impacted pretty badly by that fire. They had planes dropping retardant in the city limits.

there isn't much to the town of Phoenix OR, but all of that is blocked off.. I 5 and old US 99.... if you are heading home, they even have that option closed off to the people who live there trying to get home...its bad.... but it is close to being as bad as it was down in California last year or so.... that lead to Paradise CA being pretty much burned to the ground... this isn't way out in the Woods.. all of these are real close to cities limits, and down south of Medford... Ashland, Phoenix and Talent, its in the city limits...

This stuff is no joke this time around...and it ain't pretty...
Just drove down to where I could see the smoke and glow from the fire south of us. As long as the wind doesn't shift I think we'll be okay. About 3-4 miles as the crow flies.

https://twitter.com/TVFR/status/1303520415344553985
Do have a few essentials packed in case we get a midnight phone call.
View from the top of Bald Peak looking towards the Coast Range.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morewood
Dammit. My family cabin area is being evacuated. The Feather River canyon is well known for high winds.

I'm two hours away.

Hope all works out for the area and your cabin.

😎
My nephew lives in south Medford, a few blocks east of the new South Medford high school - and he is under level 3 evacuation. This is not a suburb, but actually in town. Sounds like the fire started in south Ashland and burned north up I-5 and old Hwy 99, through Talent and Phoenix and now approaching the outskirts of south Medford. They were making air drops with helicopters, a DC 9 and a DC 10 - in fairly populated areas.

We have no known fires close by, but due to the smoke wouldn't know it unless it was within a 1/4 of a mile. We have a written evac plan and have implemented that.
14 firefighters entrapped and burned over in the Dolan fire, near Big Sur.
I am just north of Springfield, on the McKenzie River. It sound like everything between Blue River and Vida is gone. We’re on Lower Camp Creek, it sounds like the fire split north (Mohawk River) and south ( Fall Creek and Lowell). No power here for the second day, and level 2 for us. Long night ahead, stay safe folks...

Charlie
Steve, Thanks for the pics. That's quite the sky. Please keep'em coming.

I hope you all make out ok. Stay safe.
25 hours later...Let there be light 💡

😎

My cousin lives a little north of you and hopes she will get power next week. Did you get that yard ornament fixed and running again?
Mandatory evac notice last night for the area about 4 miles south of us. Wind still blowing the fire away from us. Still to dark to see much, but the entire sky is orange from the smoke.
This is unbelievable. Hope your luck holds out Steve. My family in southern Oregon has evacuated. Just so sad....
Fire officials say that it's still out of control but only three structures have been lost and none of them are houses.
hope you guys up north make it thru all of this alright.... Sun is up down here this morning and I'm seeing blue sky .. haven't had on the news this morning to see how the Fire Dept's made out on these fires last night.. went to bed about 11 'ish...

Jackson County was getting the worst of it all...but listening to constant reports last night, all of these fires kept popping up, all the "Bear Creek Greenway" which is a long walk way, running back and forth along or beside I 5...plenty of transients like in that 20 mile long stretch of walk way, "back in the bushes".. listening to Police Dispatch from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, these fires were popping up like they entire event was being orchestrated...

I believe Antifa and BLm has been down here on standby, waiting for opportunities.. under the condition we have, it wouldn't take much to start one of these fires...big fire last year just 40 miles north of here along I 5 was started by some transient who was trying to heat up a can of spaghetti-Os, that burned more than a couple thousand acres..

Medford South, must look like downtown Potlandia this morning...but a lot of this was thru residential areas...then there were reports of a couple of Parks along the Rogue River had fires start around 10 to 10:30... again close to if not right off of I 5...easy insert and egress locations...then an open area where people bike & hike and then bird hunt during season.. land that was part of a military training base locally during WW 2, Camp White...over grown vegitation in what is just open fields with few trees within it...public land... Police Scanner, dispatchers kept speaking about being over stretched..

I believe ths Police Dispatch was being monitored as this went along and had people starting another.. like they were speaking about Ashland ( to the south) and then suddenly some one was calling in with one starting at the north end.. then West and then east...

antifa and BLm have saying they will stretch out to rural Oregon...and they have been making attempts... they were chased out of Rogue River just last weekend...Fires else where up and down the west side of the state also, has me thinking, we aren't the only ones... I wonder if conditions keep up, if Josephine County's turn isn't tonight...
BIL property is still under serious threat in Colton, OR

He just txt’d the wife, saying, fire crews can’t fight the fire with this wind.

He works for the Sheriffs dept and gets good updates.

Not great news.

😎
BIL property is still under serious threat in Colton, OR

He just txt’d the wife, saying, fire crews can’t fight the fire with this wind.

He works for the Sheriffs dept and gets good updates.

Not great news.

😎

Yeah, the wind is killing it. I think we got the better part of the day before it stops. Then I'm concerned it will then be up wind from us.
Wife took this photo of a water bomber seaplane flying over the house to the Chehalem Mt-Bald Peak fire. It was making runs back and forth between the fire and Hagg Lake.

[Linked Image]
This is the same plane refilling at Hagg lake.

https://twitter.com/WCSOOregon/status/1303858046444003329
Stay safe up there!
We woke up to 2" of snow, and 27*F, yesterday.
Earliest I've ever seen a freeze.
Weatherfolks are saying it's the earliest that Angel Fire has ever gotten snow.
Might turn out to be a good ski season.
Drone video of the fire near us.

https://vimeo.com/tvfr/download/456375449/835b968a3d

Bomber is back making runs.
Neighbor had this sign in their driveway when they cam home from evac.

[Linked Image from d3926qxcw0e1bh.cloudfront.net]
© 24hourcampfire