Home
Posted By: Stophel Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Ok, I knew ammo prices were going nuts. About 3-4 weeks ago I bought some .45acp Blazer for like $24 a box. A bit high, sure, but not ridiculously so. Just for kicks, I look today... same stuff. $47. Holy crap. (almost as crazy as $79 for a box of .380 FMJ). But seriously, are people ACTUALLY paying $95 for a 500 rnd box of freakin .22 Thunderbolt ammo? I can't believe even a new gunowner is THAT desperate for .22 ammo.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
If the buyer accepts and pays the price the seller is asking, how is that gouging?
Posted By: Stophel Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Well, they ain't gouging it out of me.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by Stophel

COVID aside, still an election year. Gotta stock up. Some people never learn.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Easy solution: lead, black powder, a mould and a flintlock.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I have a fair supply of .22lr ammo. I was just amazed at the prices they were asking now. And wondering if anyone was really paying that much.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Easy solution: lead, black powder, a mould and a flintlock.

15 years of making flintlock guns, and I don't have a (completed) rifle of my own. I have two smoothbore guns, but I'm actually not much of a smoothbore shooter. I have some rifles planned out that I would like to make for myself, but situations make it look unlikely that I will be able to do so.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20

For me it’s not stocking up. I’ve got a fair amount on hand.

I just don’t shoot a lot because i can’t replace what i do shoot.

No mags dumps right now. 😂🤪

Posted By: ringworm Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
#1 no such thing as gouging a non essential item.
#2 American capitalism is built on supply and demand.
#3 if your buying plywood when the hurricane is half hour away, you deserve to get fleeced.

EVERY election cycle....EVERY ONE, for decades has been like this.
Add in a pandemic, civil unrest, metals shortage....and y'all didn't see this coming a light year away?

Grandaddy was right " stupid needs to hurt".
Posted By: WAM Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Riddle me this: How could anyone with half a brain not have seen this coming? Inquiring minds have to know....
Posted By: J23 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I took the defacto wife out to dinner the other night and decided to stop in the local Fin, Feather, Fur. Surprisingly, they had their usual full compliment of powder, primers and bullets were a little thin, but not too bad, all the same prices.

Walked over to the ammunition shelf for s**ts and giggles, plenty of CCI Blazer 9mm, 40, and 45... $29.99 a box... of fifty: one box limit. crazy People were paying it too. Unbelievable.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Gouging is taking advantage of someone when you can. There's a bunch of people that will suck a willie for a dollar and times like these prove who they are.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Yes, people are paying that much. If they weren't, you wouldn't see the prices continually rising. People are dumb.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I've watched the American consummer perfect stupidity with the ammo purchasing. They do the same thing with buying stocks. They wait for the stocks to hit the top and buy and when the stocks hit the bottom they sell or don't buy.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Yes, people are paying that much. If they weren't, you wouldn't see the prices continually rising. People are dumb.

A gun is just a over priced club without any bullets. The rioting and looting opened a lot of eyes and pretty much forced folks to get off the pot.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
After the last ammo scare, I stocked up on everything I'd need. I'm good for the foreseeable future.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
If you want a real laugh check out the prices on armslist. Those people are funny.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

For me it’s not stocking up. I’ve got a fair amount on hand.

I just don’t shoot a lot because i can’t replace what i do shoot.

No mags dumps right now. 😂🤪

Bingo! Exactly right. I have a couple thousand rounds of range 9mm (and more than enough carry 9mm), all bought when it was cheap, but that doesn't mean I go to the range and shoot three or four hundred rounds of it a week when I can't replace it. More like 100 rounds of it a month, just enough to stay familiar.

For recreational shooting, I'll stick with mainly black powder (components for which are still reasonable) and rimfire, which I have huge stockpiles of from when the last shortage ended and it got cheap again.
I've not seen anything like it. If this is supposed to have happened over and over again in the past, perhaps I just wasn't looking at the time. Except for the great .22 shortage. For FOUR YEARS, I did not see any .22LR ammo available anywhere, at any price. It wasn't high, it just wasn't there at all. After it became available again, I started stocking up as much as I could, when I could.

I'm just amazed that people are ACTUALLY paying, with shipping, over a hundred bucks for a box of the cheap Thunderbolts that I paid maybe twenty bucks for a month ago. Perhaps I should sell what I have....
Posted By: gunzo Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
"I've not seen anything like it"

You're kidding, right? The current availability/prices of guns/ammo is not near as messed up as it's been at least 3 times in the last 12 - 15 years!!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Price will be whatever the traffic will bear!
Posted By: Terryk Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I just gave a friend 500 rounds of 22LR, 200 rounds of 9mm, and 420 rounds of 556. Plus a Sig Romeo 5.
He gave me a peach and an apple tree in the spring. So I "owed" him.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Gouging is taking advantage of someone when you can. There's a bunch of people that will suck a willie for a dollar and times like these prove who they are.

BS!
Why should I sell something to you for less than I can replace it for.
You want charity?
Call goodwill.

Tell you what... You can pay me in $20 gold pieces at face value.
Posted By: RayF Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Get to molding or get to watching TV...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Price will be whatever the traffic will bear!

Right. What is called gouging is just an essential feature of free market economics, and it serves a helpful purpose. When prices become quite high, makers want to take full advantage of this, and will do whatever they can to produce more (increasing their profits when the getting is good). The result of this is an eventual reaching of an equilibrium that brings prices down again, i.e., the market becomes satisfied with supply to the point that demand drops and prices fall. If prices remained the same regardless of market forces (e.g., price control legislation), what suppliers would do when market forces want higher prices would be to just stop making or selling their product, causing empty shelves in the retail stores.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Only the government can price gouge.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Depends on the dbags selling.
Tn gun country
$ 12.74 blazer brass 124 gr box of 50.

Academy win whiite box 115 gr 12.99 box of 50

Rural king didnt have any 9mm yesterday.
Posted By: dassa Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by NVhntr
If the buyer accepts and pays the price the seller is asking, how is that gouging?

Not many people understand free market economics.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Tn gun country

Now all you need to do is sell those 9mm for $50 a box and you can become a willie sucking price gougger. Good snag.
Tn gun country

Stand in line to buy 2 box's.... Spend an hour of your time at academy sports?
No thanks.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Check out the primer prices on Gunbroker. $100-150/1000. Anyone that would pay that, I would be leery to shoot their reloads.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
There cannot be gougers without the consent of the gougees.

We have been through this and through this over the past years, shortages of this ammo or that ammo or those primers, etc, etc. Yet, there have been long periods of excellent prices, sometimes sale prices, and good availability. Still, we have people who dont bother to stock up during these periods and then cry when another shortage hits. Sad.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
It's funny how many people think that the guns & ammo business is somehow different than any other. It's not. The purpose is to make money for their owners. They have the same bills and wages as any other. It's no different than the hot new Vette or 4x4 selling for way over sticker.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
As always, I wish a pox upon gougers. Specifically the scum of the earth shidt eating cock suckers that go to a store that hasn't marked things up, buy up all the stock for the purpose of reselling it. In a perfect world they'd get a ball peen to the temple.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I have been hording even before it was fashionable
So I am just fine

But what a great time to shoot revolvers easy to load and slower fire rate
Plink with 38 wadd cutters
Blast with 41mags
Hank
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
As always, I wish a pox upon gougers. Specifically the scum of the earth shidt eating cock suckers that go to a store that hasn't marked things up, buy up all the stock for the purpose of reselling it. In a perfect world they'd get a ball peen to the temple.
I blame the retailers who don't put limits on quantities. We haven't raised prices but we limit purchases to "personal use" amounts.

we
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20

I hate flippers.

They dont produce a fugging thing.
Originally Posted by jnyork
There cannot be gougers without the consent of the gougees.

We have been through this and through this over the past years, shortages of this ammo or that ammo or those primers, etc, etc. Yet, there have been long periods of excellent prices, sometimes sale prices, and good availability. Still, we have people who dont bother to stock up during these periods and then cry when another shortage hits. Sad.

No matter how stocked up you were when this started, if you're smart, you are not going to shoot lots of it if you don't know when you are going to be able to replace it.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I blame the retailers who don't put limits on quantities. We haven't raised prices but we limit purchases to "personal use" amounts.

we

It does beg the question why more don't do that. I understand the market and all that, that's fair game. But the flippers as Big Jim said are what pisses me off.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I’ve been buying and flipping for two months.

#bendover
Originally Posted by deflave

#bendover

So she finally made you get a job eh?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave

#bendover

So she finally made you get a job eh?

She doesn’t know.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Hypocrisy runs amuck on the Fire.

If you stock up you're labeled as a hoarder.
If you sell any of your hoard when things are tight you're gouger.

I guess you're an OK guy in between those two occurrences.

If you expect to buy what you need whenever you need it, I'd say you are a poor planner.
Why sell your horde?

Did you sell at pre horde prices?

Is it fun driving all over hells creation looking for ammo and schit?
Lots of shidt eating cumguzzling child sacrificing devil worshipping ....... on here it seems.

For my own part, if a guy is sitting on a stash of whatever, and he sees the going rate is crazy high and sells at the going rate who could fault him? Certainly not I.

If a store buys at a certain price point, and sells and a slightly higher price point that's how it works. If their cost to acquire the stuff they are selling goes up, how can they not raise their price accordingly? Again no eggs flung from me.

If a store buys at the previous price point, sees how high things are going and jacks the price they are selling at to reflect market price on something they bought at the previous price point I hope their water lines burst, the sewer backs up and they lose their ass in repairs and go bankrupt. After which they can't make the note on their car, which gets repo'd and their house gets foreclosed on and they eat [bleep] out of dumpsters for nourishment.

If a "person" patronizes a store that is doing the right thing and selling items with normal markup, then turns around and flips them for obscene profit.... well karma is a bitch. These are the same "people" who would break into your house, kill your wife and rape your kids and say it's your fault for not being there to stop it.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
"We have met the enemy, and they are us."
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by ringworm
#1 no such thing as gouging a non essential item.
#2 American capitalism is built on supply and demand.
#3 if your buying plywood when the hurricane is half hour away, you deserve to get fleeced.

EVERY election cycle....EVERY ONE, for decades has been like this.
Add in a pandemic, civil unrest, metals shortage....and y'all didn't see this coming a light year away?

Grandaddy was right " stupid needs to hurt".

Yep
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad
"We have met the enemy, and they are us."

LOL
Originally Posted by ringworm
Tn gun country

Stand in line to buy 2 box's.... Spend an hour of your time at academy sports?
No thanks.

Huh???

Walked in today like day before yesterday.
Didnt see a line.
3 bx limit per caliber..
Aguliar 115 gr hp 21.99 bx 50
Some sirrea ( sp) 124 gr hp bx 20 14.99

Lots of win white box .40
14.99 bx 50.

I aint bought ammo in 3 weeks or so.

Got 200 rds of 124 gr gold dots though.
Nother guy mentioned gouging in ref to me Im geussing for what I posted????

I been trading 9mm I been getting for TSS turkey loads, and 3 inch rem preimer accutip 20 gauge slugs to LGS around here.
They can move 9mm and give me a good trade value for what I'm getting the 9mm for.

Guilty as charged or good long term relationship with em???

You all must have some experiences that are really trying beyond belief in your areas.

Didnt go to rural king today.

But I did go to McDonald's though.

Sitting on a dove plot right now.
Aint seen bird 1.
All by myself.
It's rightous.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Actually, I wouldn't sell any that I have for a quadruple+ profit.. I have a conscience. I also don't know when... or IF I will ever be able to replace it.

Not being a libertarian, myself, I have never really knelt at the altar of the twin gods of Supply and Demand. So I don't really have any problem criticizing someone or something that I see as being immoral. Just because you may have A right to do something, doesn't necessarily mean that it IS right to do it. Now, before any of you get your panties in any more of a wad, I'm not saying it should be stopped in some legal way (I don't think it even could be).

That said, no I really haven't seen this first hand before (again, other than the Great .22 Drought.... and even in the middle of that, I did manage ONCE to be in the right place at the right time to buy 2 bulk boxes of ammo from some online dealer... and it wasn't $95 a box then, for sure). The past ten or twelve years I've had a lot of life happen, and shooting wasn't on the radar. So I have heard about primer shortages and such, but I didn't know it was as insane then as it is now.

Again, I HAVE .22 ammo. And other ammo too. Not an enormous amount, I don't have the disposable income for a stash like I'm sure some of you have, but I'm definitely not down to my last box of .38's. I'm not desperate for cheapo .22 Thunderbolt. I'm not buying any kind of ammo, unless I find something at a decent price (which is less and less likely by the day). Just expressing my astonishment that there apparently are a large number of people out there that actually would pay such exhorbitant prices for some pretty mundane ammo. I think they're as much at fault as the dealers.
Tn gun country

Now all you need to do is sell those 9mm for $50 a box and you can become a willie sucking price gougger. Good snag.

I misinterpreted your post.
Sorry bout that man.
Still aint seen a dove.
But it feels good to be out anyways.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I can sure attest to having ‘a whole lotta life happen’ in the last 6-7 years myself

But at the point of holding my guts in on one side, having to empty a J-P drain in a parking a few times....I still paid attention to current events and hoofed my way in to walmart, academy, rural king or midsouthshooters and got stocked up. Puke in the parking lot, and head on in to the store.

All I ever did was make a point of always getting a box or two of something whenever I got groceries.

Get dog food at Rural King, get some ammo too

Get poultry pellets and supplies from the feed store, get ammo too
Originally Posted by UPhiker

we

Caught academy employees at their little ammo behind the scenes game bout 6 weeks ago.

Calls to corparate jerked a knot in that stores azz after my going off the deep end in the place.
It was rightous and justified.

Now they obey corporate 3 boxes per caliber national policy.

Im a valued customer per Katy Tx ....

Fugging sneaker dept and grill dept meet me at those storage door deals have stopped.
Everything is properly scanned to the shelf barcodes on the ammo shelfs now.

People that are able to buy 3 boxes now instead of 0 prior to me blowing the fugg up in that store that morning. Need to bow before me being the Sensi of not tolerating bullschitt....
Scumball fugging 9 dollar an hour clerks........
2 guys I jacked the fugg up wont even make eye contact with me in the store now.
Dominate them 2 fuggs minds like a Sith Lord
LOL!!!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20

You must be Bernie Sanders fan. The prices of goods and service are set by demand and availability. An item is worth only what someone will pay for it. I sold a bunch of rifles during a past panic, the purchasers were very happy to have the opportunity to pay many times the original price. I would guess that they could now get their money back but are again happy to have what they need.

When preparation meets opportunity good things happen...some call it capitalism.

mike r
I guess I've always had enough ammo... not enough to go all Wolverines, maybe, but enough to go bang if I needed to go bang, so I didn't worry about it too much during any of these other shortages... until I decided that hey, I was low on .22LR ammo..... A box of Winchester Wildcats (ugh,I hate Winchester ammo), and a few odd other rounds had to pretty much last me for four years before I started seeing it again.
Some of you guys need the six pointed star sewn on your avatars.
Originally Posted by lvmiker

You must be Bernie Sanders fan. The prices of goods and service are set by demand and availability. An item is worth only what someone will pay for it. I sold a bunch of rifles during a past panic, the purchasers were very happy to have the opportunity to pay many times the original price. I would guess that they could now get their money back but are again happy to have what they need.

When preparation meets opportunity good things happen...some call it capitalism.

mike r

Tell ya what.
I regret not buying Mak90,s and other AK,s in the late 80,s and early 90,s.

You were smart selling them chicom AK,s at todays market value.
0 importation of em for a long time too.
Russian Veprs and Saiga,s are commanding premiums also.
Even converted ones....
0 importation of those for a long time also.

Lol!!!

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20
I have primers and I have powder. The only issue is finding 55 grain .224's. I'm feeling a little insecure I don't have 10,000 rounds loaded up yet.

kwg
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ammo gouging - 09/09/20

mike r

Tell ya what.
I regret not buying Mak90,s and other AK,s in the late 80,s and early 90,s.

You were smart selling them chicom AK,s at todays market value.
0 importation of em for a long time too.
Russian Veprs and Saiga,s are commanding premiums also.
Even converted ones....
0 importation of those for a long time also.

The best part was that those AKs had already paid for themselves many times as rental guns for classes. I also charged the class attendees enough to make the years of effort I had already put in worthwhile, what a concept, ironic that there was always a waiting list to be "gouged"

Prior to my retirement I could purchase guns, ammo and accessories at wholesale prices and did so w/ great vigor. I have enough mags and ammo for my Glocks and ARs to trade for a new Tundra if I so wish.

Insight trumps hindsight every time. Those that fail to learn from history repeat its' mistakes DUH!!

That 6 pointed star looks better on me than does a the L on the forehead worn by manygrin

mike r
Some plan ahead, some don't. Some hoard for various reasons.

But the ones that don't plan ahead seem to cry the most.
Originally Posted by gunzo
Some plan ahead, some don't. Some hoard for various reasons.

But the ones that don't plan ahead seem to cry the most.

Sometimes.

Sometimes [bleep] like to sit back and gloat over what they have that someone else doesn't and sling insults at them.

shrug

I'm fine regardless, I just despise usery and folks taking advantage of their fellow man.
A simple concept learned from aesops fables in the 1950's, nothing to do with my fellow man. The squirrel that played cries, simple.

The gloat rarely starts until the whining does, ever notice that. One way of teaching a dumbass, rub it in.

Ya don't like profiteers? Buy it all & give it away to "your" fellow man.
How much are primers and powder goin' for now? laugh I just dug out all my old reloading equipment from the old shed which has been sitting for years, and shockingly, it all is OK! Including 5000 Large Pistol and 5000 Small Pistol primers! Like a gold mine, baby! Not for sale! :P

Makes me feel happy! except ....unfortunately, I HATE reloading! laugh
Originally Posted by gunzo
A simple concept learned from aesops fables in the 1950's, nothing to do with my fellow man. The squirrel that played cries, simple.

The gloat rarely starts until the whining does, ever notice that. One way of teaching a dumbass, rub it in.

Ya don't like profiteers? Buy it all & give it away to "your" fellow man.

Sounds like you ought to read a few more of those parables.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
I don't buy and sell ammo during panic times, but if I did, wgaf? You gotta spend your time hunting deals, then spend time selling and meeting folks for delivery. Evidently a lot of guys here don't believe in free markets and capitalism. Maybe we should all pool our ammo and divide it equally.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Been watching these types of threads for decades. Seems to me the people who complain the most about gougers are the same people who wouldnt expend the effort to stock up when they had the chance. Then when the stuff is all gone they feel entitled to buy it at old prices.
Stock up or shut up
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by mirage243
I don't buy and sell ammo during panic times, but if I did, wgaf? You gotta spend your time hunting deals, then spend time selling and meeting folks for delivery. Evidently a lot of guys here don't believe in free markets and capitalism. Maybe we should all pool our ammo and divide it equally.

Well said.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
lmao

Buncha gay burghers laughing as the stock cars get loaded with gypsies.

Best way to win an argument on here is to mischaracterize your opponent and argue vehemently on the freshly tilled soil you just tilled up.
Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20

Found a cache of ammo yesterday. Purchased a used goose neck 24 ft camper a few months back. Caught my boot toe on a carpeted step as I was climbing into the sleeping area yesterday. Found 600 rounds of Remington 40cal, 600 rounds 223 and 100 12 ga #8. Christmas came early this year. GW
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
There have been some very good prices on ammo in the last 2 years . I have started buying ammo online , better deals and bring it to my door .

I just realized I need a case of heavy pheasant loads soon . I may have to pay a inflated price .
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Shopping is such a drag.

I cant imagine shopping for stuff.....just to advertise and sell it.

But then again....I have never been able to take the last of something.

I cant empty a gallon of milk,,,,or use the last couple slices of bread. Just cant do it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
You would drink my last root beer.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by mirage243

Well said.

+2
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Be fun to have Jim on a wally world brickseek hunt with us.
Clue him in on it all.
Big ole dude just imtimidatiing the fugg outta clerks and managers trying to play him.
See him spew out stuff to em about their inventory systems and what screens to navigate on their puters.
Rebooting the barcode gun.
Why guns that aint been sold cant be located in their gun Locker per federal regs yet show up as inventory in threir log book.
Asking em if Batf allows things like this to happen commonly.

TFF!!!
Originally Posted by slumlord

Is it Barqs?

No, no.....I still wouldn't.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have primers and I have powder. The only issue is finding 55 grain .224's. I'm feeling a little insecure I don't have 10,000 rounds loaded up yet. kwg

TJ Conevera - 55 gr, FMJ
Originally Posted by slumlord

Is it Barqs?

No, no.....I still wouldn't.

I can get shasta. grin

They have barq’s at the CiCi pizza place
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
I still have ammo I bought on Black Friday 2 years ago, luckily.
I like my Shasta in the little cans.

If I am going to CICI's.......its gotta be with Renegade!
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Ammo expensive, you should see the price for H-1000 pounders. $135 each and going up.

😎
Posted By: drover Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Hmmm - I am trying to decide if I am a smart shopper, a profit-taker, a hoarder, a gouger, or a pox on my fellow man.

Last spring Winchester had SuperX plated hollow-point 22 ammo on sale for $5.99 per hundred and they had a mail-in rebate of $5.00 per box which was redeemed fairly quickly, that brought the price down to .01 cent per round, the downside was the rebate was only good for 5 boxes. There were literally shelves of it setting in the local gunstores and most of it was still setting there when the rebate ended. Did I really need it - NO, but at that price I bought it anyway. - That was 1 cent per shot.

They also had multiple boxes full of cartons of Rem Thunderbolts for $12.99 per 500, they were marked down from $19.99. People would walk by look at them and not buy - Why ? did they think they were going to be getting any cheaper than that? They were still setting there until about 3 weeks ago when the panic started and now everyone is whining that there is no reasonably priced 22 ammo to be had.

Reading the comments it would appear that some folks think I should sell it at the same price as I paid for it, not that I am going to sell any, but I sure as heck didn't buy it just to have it on hand to sell it to people who do not plan enough that they are now having to pay higher prices. It is not like I bought all that was in stock, I just picked up a carton or a bulk pack anytime I was in the store, no big money outlay all at once and I have enough on hand that I can outlast this storm too. It is called planning ahead - something a lot of folks don't do but they feel free to criticize those who do.

Ask yourself this - if you had ammo that you bought a $10 per hundred and the replacement price is going to cost you $20 per hundred would you sell yours for $10 per hundred?

drover
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
I guess I've always had enough ammo... not enough to go all Wolverines, maybe, but enough to go bang if I needed to go bang, so I didn't worry about it too much during any of these other shortages...

Great line!
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Ammo expensive, you should see the price for H-1000 pounders. $135 each and going up.

😎

Really? I guess mine will be good trade fodder then, that’s crazy.

After the last shortage I got carried away with powder,22lr, primers and bullets for most things.. kinda hurting on 9mm and 300BO though. Going to have to break down and load it for the 300, thankfully I was able to find brass. 110-125gr 30cal bullets are scarce though.
Originally Posted by drover

Ask yourself this - if you had ammo that you bought a $10 per hundred and the replacement price is going to cost you $20 per hundred would you sell yours for $10 per hundred?

drover

Exactly.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
I've not been affected by the last three shortages and I don't remember any real ones before that. I don't remember any prior to Obama getting into office. I was worried enough that I added to my stockpiles a little bit during the earlier ones, but I haven't even bothered on this one. Leave anything out there for those less fortunate. While I can appreciate the sentiment that people should have already been stocked up, the sad fact is there are those with babies and poor jobs due to no fault of their own, that simply couldn't afford to. Also young guys that weren't old enough to buy their own ammo possibly. I sympathize with these folks also maybe new gun owners who weren't raised around firearms but now see the possibility of having to defend hearth and home.

Sad fact is, the only way shortages will ever be over is for everything to get banned. President Trump gets re-elected and the whole cycle starts again in three short years or less.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
this thread makes me think of a friend of mine. vietnam vet, spent a couple of days in a out of gas tank with the nva beating on it.
i load him a box of 30.40 kraig about every ten years. he has shot four elk with five rounds out of the last box.
he grins on stockpiling. said if needed the kraig will get him what he needs.
on the other hand, got an email from a favorite retailer the other day, 400 bucks for one of those 1911's going for 300 a couple months ago, and 50bucks for a box of S &b .45acp. Just wow. wife says i should start selling off my bulk supply of lead, i don't think so.

drover

Exactly.

Why sell it?

Thats dumb.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20

drover

Exactly.

Why sell it?

Thats dumb.

This thread explains and rationalizes the woke attitude of those that think that we should all enjoy a free education to gain a BA in Lesbian affairs and african history and that the non productive have a right to enjoy the same standard of living as a hard working contributing taxpayer.

Some folks spend all of their earnings and go into debt [pay USURIOUS interest] to purchase diminishing value cars, boats, RVs etc. Others invest in their future, advance their skillsets to garner greater pay and benefits and use their earnings to expand their opportunities to prosper. Risk investing some of your $ and make a profit and you are a gouger? Some deep thinking going on here.

Americans created the greatest society in history by embracing capitalism and rewarding the the hardest worker, the smartest, the risk takers the most creative contributors more than the lazy and mediocre low achievers. Kind of a Darwinian system. If Biden wins the election all that bemoan the prepared will be vindicated and rewarded appropriately. If you haven't observed and leaned the lessons of recent history you deserve to pay or go without.

#Darwin was right

mike r
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20

#Darwin was right

mike r

What, specifically, is Darwin "right" about, Mike? Are you referring to the Blacks, the Irish, or both? To which of "the favored races" do you belong?

Or are you just talking out of your ass because you don't know a damn thing about Darwin?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
I consider it worse than payday loan operations.

drover

Exactly.

Why sell it?

Thats dumb.

This thread explains and rationalizes the woke attitude of those that think that we should all enjoy a free education to gain a BA in Lesbian affairs and african history and that the non productive have a right to enjoy the same standard of living as a hard working contributing taxpayer.

Some folks spend all of their earnings and go into debt [pay USURIOUS interest] to purchase diminishing value cars, boats, RVs etc. Others invest in their future, advance their skillsets to garner greater pay and benefits and use their earnings to expand their opportunities to prosper. Risk investing some of your $ and make a profit and you are a gouger? Some deep thinking going on here.

Americans created the greatest society in history by embracing capitalism and rewarding the the hardest worker, the smartest, the risk takers the most creative contributors more than the lazy and mediocre low achievers. Kind of a Darwinian system. If Biden wins the election all that bemoan the prepared will be vindicated and rewarded appropriately. If you haven't observed and leaned the lessons of recent history you deserve to pay or go without.

#Darwin was right

mike r

Of for christ sake. Capitalism ......right. We got it.

Go produce something and quit calling yourself a capitalist.

This is the same mindset that makes our nations death by consumerism possible. Used to be do it for god and country....now its do it for God and Wall Street.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20

drover

Exactly.

Why sell it?

Thats dumb.

#Darwin was right

mike r

This is the same mindset that makes our nations death by consumerism possible. Used to be do it for god and country....now its do it for God and Wall Street.

#URMediocreJim
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
LOL.

When you stocked deep on High Vel 22 LR HPs and you found out suppressed .22LR rocks.

You pay the gougers for good Subsonic .22 LR HPs and go have much fun.

Capitalism. grin
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've not been affected by the last three shortages and I don't remember any real ones before that. I don't remember any prior to Obama getting into office. I was worried enough that I added to my stockpiles a little bit during the earlier ones, but I haven't even bothered on this one. Leave anything out there for those less fortunate. While I can appreciate the sentiment that people should have already been stocked up, the sad fact is there are those with babies and poor jobs due to no fault of their own, that simply couldn't afford to. Also young guys that weren't old enough to buy their own ammo possibly. I sympathize with these folks also maybe new gun owners who weren't raised around firearms but now see the possibility of having to defend hearth and home.

Sad fact is, the only way shortages will ever be over is for everything to get banned. President Trump gets re-elected and the whole cycle starts again in three short years or less.

#EthanAndHisHearth
Fugging middle men........
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Ammo gouging - 09/10/20

drover

Exactly.

Why sell it?

Thats dumb.

#Darwin was right

mike r

JC you are smarter than that, rabble rousergrin

mike r

Fugging middle men...

The Bobs

lol
Fugging middle men...

He's an expediter.