Home
Posted By: Huntz Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
So me and the wifey go to Wally World in Iron Mountain Mi. to do some shopping.I find what I want and head for the self check out area.None of the machines take cash.To spend cash there are 2 fricking ultra long lines with people with carts full to the brim.So I put my 2 gallons of ice cream on the floor and left.Fugg em,I will not shop there anymore.Funny thing is the guy behind me saw me do this and left his full cart standing there.
If they don't take cash, then they won't get my business.

I don't wait in long lines, either. wink
I woulda just walked out with the ice cream. That would teach em.

Anyway.....no way in HELL would I subject myself to a Walmart trip just for two buckets of ice cream.
Agony is getting stuck behind an 80 year old woman that can't figure out how to use her debit card.
This in generally how it starts, with convenience being removed, and then incentives not to do a thing, and finally, policy not to accept a thing, followed by laws prohibiting that thing. I'm sure the cashless agenda is a long, slow one.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I woulda just walked out with the ice cream. That would teach em.

Anyway.....no way in HELL would I subject myself to a Walmart trip just for two buckets of ice cream.

I feel you......
All ours take cash. Are you sure you just didn't see where to insert the bills?
Posted By: Gus Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
the subject to which you refer has been going on for some time (for a spell).

but it's picking up speed.

who could possibly know what the very best answer is?

my grandmom way back in the day went to the local country store. she bought some stuff, and came home with paper money in change. her dad sent her back to the store to get real money (coins). the times they are a-changin.

but whose got food, a job, shelter, and healthcare?

and beyond all of that minutuea, whose paying taxes?

what denomination of currency are you paying in, pray tell?
Havent ran into that before.

I have been at the store and the lines were crazy, almost no help.

If my cart didn't have perishable, it sat.

If it did, I reverse shop the perishable, then leave.

Don't wait at the restaurants designed to make you wait either.

Only ever ate at Olive Garden about 5 times.
Wife or I go in and check the wait, they ask our name,
If it's more than 5-10 minutes we tell them we aren't waiting.
There are always restaurants wanting to serve me. Now!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Havent ran into that before.

I have been at the store and the lines were crazy, almost no help.

If my cart didn't have perishable, it sat.

If it did, I reverse shop the perishable, then leave.

Don't wait at the restaurants designed to make you wait either.

Only ever ate at Olive Garden about 5 times.
Wife or I go in and check the wait, they ask our name,
If it's more than 5-10 minutes we tell them we aren't waiting.
There are always restaurants wanting to serve me. Now!

the flow of the Tao. it's with us. all we have to do is participate.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
I worked in 2 grocery stores in high school, around 1986. Everything had a price tag, and was hand keyed in at the checkout. The cashiers were so fast it was stupid, and took pride in it. They were 10 times faster than today. We are going backwards. Communism has been creeping in for years now.
I am 83 I don't have any trouble using my debit card at the self serving machines. or buying gas... are you all slightly un educated???
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Agony is getting stuck behind an 80 year old woman that can't figure out how to use her debit card.

The little old ladies here still write checks at the grocery store.... ugh.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
We have several stores, including Walmart, that have card only self service machines. Most will have a sign that says card only. To pay cash, you need to go through a checker which is usually much slower.
The thing is, all of these machines used to take cash but have been recently alters to take only cards.
why should a wooden nickel be worth less than a buffalo nickel.

my point is that we all know what money is, right?

so, if it's seashells, skulls, or silver why not?

if it works then let's use it for our benefit.
Home Depot has also got rid of cash machines.
Originally Posted by Stophel

The little old ladies here still write checks at the grocery store.... ugh.

I still write checks at the store and can do that faster than the card reader takes to use.
Same here, Mejiers same way, No one at the fast check out but all other lines Full and most are still useing there Cards! wish they had some CASH only Lines!
2 gallons of ice cream?! I'd say they might've saved your life by not allowing cash.
No chit, Jim. Never go to WM for only two things.
What's wrong with credit cards/ I prefer 'em. Nobody handing me dirty change with Covid germs on it.
Why fight it? A credit card costs you nothing to use when you pay it off each month. I get 2% back in cash which amounts to hundreds of dollars a year when I use my Citi credit card and a good credit rating lets you buy anything on time and even gets you lower insurance rates. A card is safer to carry than a bunch of cash. What’s not to like? A debit card takes the money right out of your checking account, so the vendor is paid right away and you don’t end up with a pocket full of change. I’d sure think where you live there up north, you of all people would really like using cards and on-line banking.
Posted By: JPro Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
Cashless means tracking....of every single thing. That eventually equals supervision.
Originally Posted by JPro
Cashless means tracking....of every single thing. That eventually equals supervision.

true enough.

we've all been supervised from the very beginning.

to stop the illegal drug traffic from mehico & china actions are being taken.

americans can't buy illegal drugs and get away with it just because they want to.

what we need is supervision that is pretty painless. i can talk about very painful supervision.

why would people want to break the law if the law was created and placed into effect by the voters?
...ummm..... ok.....
Becoming more and more prevalent.

I took the family to two places today that would not accept cash.

Top Golf and the movie theatre. They claim it is “more safe.”

LOL
Originally Posted by Windfall
Why fight it? A credit card costs you nothing to use when you pay it off each month. I get 2% back in cash which amounts to hundreds of dollars a year when I use my Citi credit card and a good credit rating lets you buy anything on time and even gets you lower insurance rates. A card is safer to carry than a bunch of cash. What’s not to like? A debit card takes the money right out of your checking account, so the vendor is paid right away and you don’t end up with a pocket full of change. I’d sure think where you live there up north, you of all people would really like using cards and on-line banking.

Much to learn, have you.
Originally Posted by deflave
Becoming more and more prevalent.

I took the family to two places today that would not accept cash.

Top Golf and the movie theatre. They claim it is “more safe.”

LOL

filthy lucre is called that for a reason?

i like a visa card, and untouched.

but things can go very wrong.
Couldve at least wandered around in the store and ate that ice cream, THEN leave the empty over in electronics.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Couldve at least wandered around in the store and ate that ice cream, THEN leave the empty over in electronics.
I once follow a lady through a checkout line. She had a basket full of junk food wrappers that she presented to the checker. She apparently had eaten her way through the whole store but she was honest enough to keep the wrappers and pay for it all.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
This in generally how it starts, with convenience being removed, and then incentives not to do a thing, and finally, policy not to accept a thing, followed by laws prohibiting that thing. I'm sure the cashless agenda is a long, slow one.

As long as there are drugs ( which will be as long as the Govt. is in the drug business...i.e. forever) and inner city " African-Americans".....there will be cash.
I love going to wal mart to buy water, scan a gallon and pay with a credit card, scan another pay credit card, for a 87 cent jug of water that's costing then a extra 2 or 3 dollars in credit fees
Posted By: EdM Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
There's a coin shortage don't you know...
Posted By: SKane Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/12/20
Originally Posted by gemby58
I love going to wal mart to buy water, scan a gallon and pay with a credit card, scan another pay credit card, for a 87 cent jug of water that's costing then a extra 2 or 3 dollars in credit fees

What's 2% of 87 cents? whistle
Originally Posted by EdM

i am concerned that my taxes will continue to rise as the gov't continues to attempt to gain control of the out of control society.

are we on the right tract, but far away from the solution or are we on the wrong tract totally?

personnally i just don't think that core-lokt ammo can be exceeded for the price.
without cash ,how do you make a private sale or purchase ?,ala yard sale ect..ect ..how do you buy gas if your credit card company computer is down or the gas station main CC computer in another state that processes the CC is down ,have had it happen to mewas in KY but theit main computer in TX was down due to a hurricane ,CC did not work till they got it fixed I had to pay cash .go to another gas station ? what if you in the country and it only one around,and their CC or debit card computer is down ,what then?more examples than this ect...ect..
Originally Posted by JPro

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vcnZxpqHS0A

This has been posted on here before, interesting.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/13/20

No,the machine said credit card only.I asked the area attendant and she told me all self checkout lanes were credit card only.
Originally Posted by Huntz

No,the machine said credit card only.I asked the area attendant and she told me all self checkout lanes were credit card only.

Our Wally world used to take either but they are all no cash, credit only now. Have been for a while I do believe.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Why fight it?

Ultimately, it's about control. With this Cancel Culture going on, conservatives being shouted down while eating, and societial controls over this virus outbreak, you can't see where this can lead?

First of all, some businesses don't want cash right now under the pretense cash carries germs. That will be the easy way to get rid of cash. They can force you to wear a mask and society didn't balk, so they won't balk at removing cash.

We end up like China, where everything is done via smart phone. You get paid on the app and you pay on the app. All good until AOC and The Squad pass a bill that says no gun sales to you. They lock your account. Or, no ammo sales. How about the fact that you didn't contribute to BLM this month They take it right out. You now longer control your assets.

1 year ago would you have believed the governement would have closed almost all businesses and we'd be running around wearing face coverings? No spectators at sports events, kids doing virtual school? All in a year? Don't be too skeptical abot the negative effects of going cashless.

Your woman wants a divorce and throws a phony domestic violence or child abuse charge on you and bam! New laws you didn't pay attention lock down your assets. You can't even buy gas for your car. As a matter of fact, when you were looking, all new cars come with a kill switch that the .gov can use to stop you. They can track your phone now. Cashless society, you can't access buildings with an app, get food, or a place to stay. It is possible.

It doesn't take much to make our world that of a Sci Fi movie or James Bond, where Big Brother locks down your assets and cancels your identity. However, unlike James Bond, we have no shady characters that will whip up a Black Market ID and fake credit cards that work all because we saved there bacon at one point. ;(
Originally Posted by ingwe

As long as there are drugs ( which will be as long as the Govt. is in the drug business...i.e. forever) and inner city " African-Americans".....there will be cash.

Another excuse to go cashless. "Stop the drug trade".. Brothers will just accept EBT cards.

That's a good point. There has to be some sort of currency for the Black and Gray markets.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/13/20
Originally Posted by rem shooter
without cash ,how do you make a private sale or purchase ?,ala yard sale ect..ect ..how do you buy gas if your credit card company computer is down or the gas station main CC computer in another state that processes the CC is down ,have had it happen to mewas in KY but theit main computer in TX was down due to a hurricane ,CC did not work till they got it fixed I had to pay cash .go to another gas station ? what if you in the country and it only one around,and their CC or debit card computer is down ,what then?more examples than this ect...ect..

The millenials all carry around their smartphones with their Venmo accounts on it, and they are soooo PROUD they can just pay each other -- while the app skims it's two or 3% of every transaction, or whatever it is.

Think about it. Visa gets about 3% of the vast majority of all retail transactions in this country? Who do you think pays for that? Visa? The retailer? Do you think they spend any money on, say, lobbying or advertising to defend that business?

We do a bit of retail sales at the farm. Iffy cell service, and no internet service of any kind. It's simply impossible for us to accept anything but cash. You should hear the millenials whine about having to pay with cash. Seems like every single one has the illusion that they spend less if they use a card than if they spend with cash (hint, it's the opposite, by far), and they will be robbed the moment they leave the house with more than a twenty in their pocket.....
It's the only way therebis to get everyone on paper and track their every move.
Coin shortage. Son took a bucket to 4 banks and none of them would take them
Ours were no cash for a couple of months, but I noticed they went back to accepting cash in the last couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by SKane

What's 2% of 87 cents? whistle

Ginther's going rate.
I use credit where it makes sense (funnel most spending through our Southwest card) and cash when it make sense.

None of it is hard, inconvenient, challenging, nefarious, or un-american.

I haven't paid for a plane ticket in years (have 750k points in the Southwest account), and we carry some cash to use as needed.

Not a big fuggin' deal.

You all sound like a bunch of old ladies!! laugh
Given the economy crippling effect of the reaction to COVID, makes sense to start stuffing pillows with cash. Maybe I've got a tin hat on but I remember back in 2008 we had a bit of a recession and one of the banks I was with collapsed - fortunately I was warned and shifted all my money out beforehand. (That bank was subsequently bought out by a larger bank and the accounts remained funded.) At that time the Aussie government offered protection of personal banking assets but only up to a limit ($100k I think it was). Given the number of people losing their jobs now and unable to pay their home loans, and in some cases even drawing out early on their superannuation funds (401k?) I wonder how the banks are going to stand up? And the government may not be able to have a bail out scheme this time round.

I don't think cash is going to go away for a while yet.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by hatari

Another excuse to go cashless. "Stop the drug trade".. Brothers will just accept EBT cards.

I'm not sure about that...but the cartels have caught on to transferring funds via Bitcoin...
Originally Posted by duck911
I use credit where it makes sense (funnel most spending through our Southwest card) and cash when it make sense.

None of it is hard, inconvenient, challenging, nefarious, or un-american.

I haven't paid for a plane ticket in years (have 750k points in the Southwest account), and we carry some cash to use as needed.

Not a big fuggin' deal.

You all sound like a bunch of old ladies!! laugh

Duck of Death,

I have NO doubt that you don’t get it.

LOL
Posted By: DBT Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/14/20
Cash provides privacy, anonymity and security (power outages, storms, etc). It would be a big mistake to quietly allow cash to be abolished.
Originally Posted by kennyd
Coin shortage. Son took a bucket to 4 banks and none of them would take them

Were they rolled?

Originally Posted by DBT
Cash provides privacy, anonymity and security (power outages, storms, etc). It would be a big mistake to quietly allow cash to be abolished.

x2! ........ We have enough gov't control over our lives already.

What drive me bonkers in the check out line and the toll road / bridge is the women are always suprised that the clerk or to toll taker is expecting to be paid
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by EdM

i am concerned that my taxes will continue to rise as the gov't continues to attempt to gain control of the out of control society.

are we on the right tract, but far away from the solution or are we on the wrong tract totally?

personnally i just don't think that core-lokt ammo can be exceeded for the price.

I agree Gus. No way the price of a dozen eggs justifies the wear and tear on a hen’s ass.
I dont see cash 100% being gone as it has its place but we are effectively cashless already.
Posted By: DBT Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by arkypete

What drive me bonkers in the check out line and the toll road / bridge is the women are always suprised that the clerk or to toll taker is expecting to be paid

Some people, any age, wait till the groceries are packed and it's time to pay before they begin to rummage through their purses or wallets for the right card.
Posted By: Gus Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by EdM

I agree Gus. No way the price of a dozen eggs justifies the wear and tear on a hen’s ass.

lol. the challenge is what is just the right amount of plastic compared to paper in a post-modern era economy?

electric trucks are fixin' to come on the scene. the story is changing for sure.

back in high school, metal slugs would work in the coke machine.

of course the principal was disappointed in that.
Posted By: Moses Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/14/20
Cards only: leaves an identifiable trail. Would hurt the drug dealers and other criminals. Would take away a huge incentive to rob stores/banks/people, etc...
Posted By: Dutch Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by Moses
Cards only: leaves an identifiable trail. Would hurt the drug dealers and other criminals. Would take away a huge incentive to rob stores/banks/people, etc...

And if we do away with cars, nobody will die in car crashes....

Utopia beckons!
Bank charges me a fee when I deposit large sums of cash.

We are already tracked, they can already lock down your accounts, so unless you have TONS in your closet, you are already stuck.

Cash is expensive to make and deliver. It's obsolete and will be replaced by technology. Honestly the last jumping point might be 5G, it's faster and once it's everywhere it may happen. I believe the only reason it hasn't now is internet is not available everywhere. Once that technology hurdle is crossed, cash is gone.
Originally Posted by Moses

And barbers. Barbers are almost a cash only business. I would imagine the price of a haircut to increase 50% to pay the "new found" tax revenue source.
Posted By: Moses Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/17/20
Fallacy of Argument; we are not talking about cars or accidents.
Posted By: Moses Re: Start of a cashless society? - 09/17/20
So self employed people should be allowed to cheat on their taxes while the rest of us make up the difference?
© 24hourcampfire