Home
Posted By: shaman Termites - 09/13/20
The Setup:

Deer Camp is a 1000 sq/ft cabin built around 1902. It's built on a stone foundation with red cedar stud walls. When we got it in 2001, there were signs of termite damage from years past. It had not been occupied since 1982 and there were no signs of active infestation. The house up the road had been built about the same time and with the same methods. It got ravaged by termites. Mine had been spared.

Along about 2005, I noticed an emergence on the north wall. I went out on bought stakes. The stakes worked. I never saw a problem after that.

Until this spring. I had an emergence this spring inside the house in two bedrooms. I opened up the windows to get rid of them and then sprayed with flying insect spray. I then went on Amazon and bought some stakes.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AA8WVLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been following the instructions and concentrating on the south wall. Recently the flags on a couple stakes popped, and I did what the instructions said: replace with new stakes and sink a few more in the area. I started out with 6 stakes along the south wall. Two have popped, right under the windows where the emergence happened. The rest are untouched.

Questions for Y'all:

1) Am I doing enough?
2) If I need to do more, what do you suggest?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Termites - 09/13/20

It costs 2-3 thousand to do a proper terminate treatment with Termador ...

What you are seeing in that kit you show is a “bait station” - then you can poison them - which is no where near as effective.

I’d spend the extra coin and get it done right - Termador is the best stuff and lasts well over 20 years - and they will NOT come back
Posted By: CWT Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Well fipronil is ok I guess but not near as good as chlordane and not as good as Dursban ( chlorpyrifos ). Well the Government has to keep us safe!!!!!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Termites - 09/13/20
You can buy what you need from Do my own. They also have all the information and tutorials for what/how/when.
Posted By: Squidge Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Posted By: deflave Re: Termites - 09/13/20
I don’t think your Spectracide pop-ups are gonna get it done for you.

If you value the cabin I’d call a pro and dust my hands of it.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Originally Posted by CWT
Well fipronil is ok I guess but not near as good as chlordane and not as good as Dursban ( chlorpyrifos ). Well the Government has to keep us safe!!!!!

I got both, chlordane which I think is far more better than dursban. Chlordane is far superior but I'm down to my last gallon of it. Durban when they outlawed it our local Ollie's had it on clearance for 99 cents per bottle, bought 30 bottles of it. Im set for life for termite control
Posted By: dingo Re: Termites - 09/13/20

TERMIDOR is the best stuff for Termites and Ants and good for 7-8 years. I used it around my place back in 2014 and have not seen an Ant or Termite since.
Posted By: shaman Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Would this stuff do the job?

https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-bo...2941120011&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-14

It's a generic, but it has the same active ingredient in the same concentration as Termidor.

I've got 30 feet of wall on the south where the bugs are. How far would I get with 20 OZ of concentrate?
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Stuff in the following link works. Fairly cheap and easy to apply.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectra...-Carpenter-Ant-Killer-HG-96410/205755645

In response to your question, I’d guess about half of your wall run per jug.
Posted By: CWT Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Originally Posted by shaman

It's a generic, but it has the same active ingredient in the same concentration as Termidor.

I've got 30 feet of wall on the south where the bugs are. How far would I get with 20 OZ of concentrate?

According to the label you can't buy it unless you have your Pesticide Applicators License.
Posted By: RicG Re: Termites - 09/13/20
The Taurus (above) is fine. Anything with Fipronil as the A.I. is your friend. The original trade named product was Termidor. I have literally treated thousands of structures with it. Dursban is not a good choice. Any of the Pyrethroid termiticides are not good choices either. Chlordane is illegal to buy and use. Back in the 70's, I used Chlordane, Aldrin, Dieldrin, etc. They all worked and were persistent in the soil. That is why they were banned.
Originally Posted by RicG
The Taurus (above) is fine. Anything with Fipronil as the A.I. is your friend. The original trade named product was Termidor. I have literally treated thousands of structures with it. Dursban is not a good choice. Any of the Pyrethroid termiticides are not good choices either. Chlordane is illegal to buy and use. Back in the 70's, I used Chlordane, Aldrin, Dieldrin, etc. They all worked and were persistent in the soil. That is why they were banned.

As I was told by a usda official that if you have chlordane you can use it up but just can't purchase it. If you can use it or not, if I got a problem I'm using it, it stays in the ground 30+ years. I know a Exterminator can't use it buts thats not me
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Chlordane causes nerve and brain damage. The Feds outlawed it for a good reason.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Chlordane causes nerve and brain damage. The Feds outlawed it for a good reason.

Maybe thats what's wrong with me lol
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Termites - 09/13/20

feds dont do anything for a good reason. booze cigarettes paint thinners turpentine pain pills heroin coke speed LSD that the feds manufactured and flooded the country with has caused more brain damage in 8 hours then chlordane would in 50 years. if you used it in the past just wear a mask and plastic gloves
Posted By: slumlord Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Those sentricon stakes are a daym joke. It’s bait. I never liked the idea of purposefully drawing in a wood destroying organism.

You need to get a pro.

Shop around some are cut throat, some are so cut throat they do not apply the chemicals correctly.

Unless you have a rig that can apply 2-4 gallons per 10linear ft at about 40psi under the soil or trench a perimeter and treat the backfill.

Can you get under this structure to perform a complete visual inspection and treat also from underneath.

You are dealing with subterranean termites. Talstar or Premise
Mostly agree Slumlord but... Talstar is Bifenthrin... a pyrethroid. Not that great on termites and a short life in the soil. Premise is pretty good... my second choice after Termidor (Fipronil).
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Sham,

Get the new guy or Renegade to tackle this project.

Bob
Posted By: shaman Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Between Squidge's video and some of the other comments, I ordered some of the Taurus off Amazon, and we're going to give it a shot. Thanks all for your input.
Posted By: hanco Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Burn it!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Termites - 09/13/20
I bought some stuff called Boracare

Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate - I think is more about protecting the wood by deterring termites than killing them but they don't have a good day if they ingest it.

Anyway, soaked by expose wood and framing with it. It wasn't cheap, I hope it worked.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Termites - 09/13/20
I had a house tented in Florida to effectively kill them. I would call an exterminator if you care about the place, if not then use store bought stuff and just kill the symptoms.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Termites - 09/13/20
Originally Posted by shaman

Personally, I would absolutely drop $100 on two bottles of it... and hope for the best. If you're still seeing a problem keep asking questions.

I "throw a $100" at problems all the time...

80% of the time I am glad I did.

Needed prescription glasses... threw $100 at eight pairs on EyeBuyDirect.com. Result? Perfection.

Wanted to lower my cholesterol and follow my Dr recommendation on lowering Bologna virus severity... threw a $100 at three months worth of red Marine algae. Results? Lowest cholesterol numbers I've ever had.

Threw $100 at the best ceramic brake pads money could buy for my wife's car. Results? Damn unimpressed.
Tenting (fumigation) is for non-subterranean types of termites. It won’t solve subterranean termite issues.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Termites - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by KFWA

Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate - I think is more about protecting the wood by deterring termites than killing them but they don't have a good day if they ingest it.

Anyway, soaked by expose wood and framing with it. It wasn't cheap, I hope it worked.

I bought some boric acid, borax and getting a gallon or two of antifreeze for an online recipe like this. Since boracare has, I assume, a proven ratio I might go that route.
I have access to chloradane, but heard of the harmful outgassing effects.
Either way, I will drill a bunch of holes in the logs of an existing 150yo house, and lower framing and use a turkey injector.

Do you have any extra to suggest to that plan that you've come across in your own DIY research?
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

feds dont do anything for a good reason. booze cigarettes paint thinners turpentine pain pills heroin coke speed LSD that the feds manufactured and flooded the country with has caused more brain damage in 8 hours then chlordane would in 50 years. if you used it in the past just wear a mask and plastic gloves

I have access to chlordane, but read reports that it continues to outgas for many years, just like creasote, but without the smell. That's why I held off using it and looking for the best DIY method .
Thinking of removing the siding on the base and drilling holes. Maybe chlordane outside and boric acid mix on the inside. Either way, I see the saw dust and need to get to it this fall.
Posted By: RicG Re: Termites - 09/14/20
Sawdust? You have any pics? Maybe not subs. Close-up pics of “sawdust”, damage or actual critters and I can likely ID. Species present determines type of treatment required.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Termites - 09/14/20
I would only use octoborate for powder post beetles, or mold and mildew issues

A direct wood application, penetrant
Posted By: slumlord Re: Termites - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by KFWA

I bought some boric acid, borax and getting a gallon or two of antifreeze for an online recipe like this. Since boracare has, I assume, a proven ratio I might go that route.
I have access to chloradane, but heard of the harmful outgassing effects.
Either way, I will drill a bunch of holes in the logs of an existing 150yo house, and lower framing and use a turkey injector.

Do you have any extra to suggest to that plan that you've come across in your own DIY research?

You have access to heptachlor? Stored in a doomsday vault?

Considering nearly all know registrations for it have been cancelled.
It was unobtainium by 1990 ish in our business.

We had to transition Dursban, chlorpyrifos. Which I liked the smell if the xylene carrier anyway.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Termites - 09/14/20
Saturate the soil on either side of the foundation wall with termiticide(Dursban TC) if you can find it. Saturate the adjoining wood with the borate of your choice. I use Tombor. If block CMU is used to make the foundation wall, drill all the cells of the block, and between the cells, and inject termiticide as well. Feel free to send me a MP if I have you totally confused.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Termites - 09/14/20
That's a small enough cabin to do it yourself with Termidor and eliminate future issues. How would he get rid of the ones already munching away inside the cabin?
S.L.,
You got to know the right people. They're usually good old DIYourselferz. They help each other out, like here.
I'm just trying to not mess up a bad situation by making it worse.
I've been studying up on what you said about treatments. I came across more information on that at Dit my own.com.
I'm thinking of going with this.

https://www.domyown.com/prime-source-imidacloprid-2f-select-ti-reviews-pr-12208.html?page=2

I have a well on one side and a cistern on another side, so I can't risk ground water contamination. That's one more challenge.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Termites - 09/14/20

I have access to chlordane, but read reports that it continues to outgas for many years, just like creasote, but without the smell. That's why I held off using it and looking for the best DIY method .
Thinking of removing the siding on the base and drilling holes. Maybe chlordane outside and boric acid mix on the inside. Either way, I see the saw dust and need to get to it this fall.

I would never use chlordane on the inside of a house
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Termites - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
That's a small enough cabin to do it yourself with Termidor and eliminate future issues. How would he get rid of the ones already munching away inside the cabin?

The ones inside of your cabin has to go back to the Colony
Originally Posted by gemby58

I would never use chlordane on the inside of a house

What do you think about this gemby58?
It's labeled for spot application of termites.

https://www.domyown.com/prime-source-imidacloprid-2f-ti-p-12208.html

Separate issue.
I need to get rid of the major infestation of wooly adelgids that are going to strip 100 hemlocks soon.
I plan to use it as a soil drench.

At the house, I just don't know what to do with the soil colonies of termites when I have a well and old brick storage cistern for drinking water and fruit trees next to the house.

Posted By: shaman Re: Termites - 09/21/20
UPDATE:

Sunday AM, the Taurus SC (Generic Termidor) went down. Using the Herr Squidge's video as a guide, we went with the standard solution: .06% or .08 oz per 4 Gallons water. Angus did the digging of the 6inch trench. I handled the juice. He needs the exercise. I've lead a good life already and done all my breeding. We treated the whole south wall in 3 10 foot segments, and then I sprayed a gallon of juice 1 foot out and 1 foot up the wall with a tank sprayer, and finished up by putting some Spectracide stakes back in.

One of the existing termite stakes popped as we were working, so I know we were doing the right thing. We've got plenty left for next spring, when we do the rest of the whole perimeter.

Thanks all for the assistance.
© 24hourcampfire