Home
Posted By: Old_Toot Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
You good peoples have a real bitch headed your way with hurricane Sally. From what I’m reading and seeing televised it looks like the possibility of up to 24” of rain for some areas within the storm’s path ala the 2016 internal storm rains that we had back then.

Looking to be a very slow moving storm. Good luck, folks and prepare as well as you can. Thinking that The Cajun Navy may be back in action again.
It will be bad. It will hit Mississippi harder than Louisiana. Lots of flooding.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
It will be bad. It will hit Mississippi harder than Louisiana. Lots of flooding.

You Tarheels are no strangers to hurricanes either.
My Mother lives in MS and so does 2 Brothers.

It will be windy and wet for sure.

Her house never got wet during the storms from 69 till now,so i think her house is safe.

After living there most of her life it might just an inconvenience.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
My Mother lives in MS and so does 2 Brothers.

It will be windy and wet for sure.

Her house never got wet during the storms from 69 till now,so i think her house is safe.

After living there most of her life it might just an inconvenience.

Supposedly the winds will be on the order of those associated with hurricane Katrina but for a much longer time period due to the slow moving nature of Sally.

Lots of folks will be without electricity for quite a while.
Posted By: deflave Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
It caused a lot of rain here and practically ruined my whole weekend.
Weather babe says everybody gonna die.

We are REALLY in trouble with some rain cloud still in darkest Africa.

Its a miracle I survived the last one that tracked right overhead.
I forgot, you're especially gonna die if a storm shows up and you don't have a mask and social distance.
Posted By: deflave Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Weather babe says everybody gonna die.

Just once I wish they'd be right.
Things look better over here in the greater NOLA area. We'll just have some street signs shaking and some palm fronds wagging enthusiastically in the winds. The eye is going to pass right over my camp in MS though. I went Saturday and anchored the travel trailer as much as I could. I'll be interested in seeing how the pole barn holds up. It is supposed to be good for up to 130MPH, but we know how that goes. I wish I had anchored my feeder. Oh well.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Things look better over here in the greater NOLA area. We'll just have some street signs shaking and some palm fronds wagging enthusiastically in the winds. The eye is going to pass right over my camp in MS though. I went Saturday and anchored the travel trailer as much as I could. I'll be interested in seeing how the pole barn holds up. It is supposed to be good for up to 130MPH, but we know how that goes. I wish I had anchored my feeder. Oh well.

Keep us posted, Paul.
Might be time for folks that way to HAUL ASS!!
Storm is slowing down. The forward speed is slowing down. This means increased rainfall. And it is moving east.
Mississippi and Alabama are going to get it.
Storm is slowing down. The forward speed is slowing down. This means increased rainfall. And it is moving east.
Mississippi and Alabama are going to get it.

Yep, looking like it is supposed to hit around the Gulfport / Biloxi area once it high-fives the LA fringe.

I'm about 5 miles from the coast and just a few miles from the MS / AL state line. Not looking forward to the rain we are going to get off this one. Work has already canceled tomorrow and Wednesday is likely. Pretty good on supplies if we go a without power. This will be my wife's first storm since she moved down (ID transplant). She's freaking out.
The latest peak intensity forecast went from 85 to 105. 105 is going to make things sporty at the camp. Both of my daughter's and my brother live in the path and are now expected to get hurricane strength winds.
This buoy will be inetresting to watch. The storm will go right over the top of it. https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42040
Posted By: slumlord Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
Food plots will get rain.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by slumlord

Paul's feeder is gonna tip over and the hogs and deer will get fat and happy.

Paul, I hope your camp rides it out well, the feeder will be a minor issue I expect.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
They bumped the dang track east to mobile co and baldwin co al. Puts me about 50 miles from being in the cone. We are going to be on the bad side for rain and tornados. going to get in line at the gas station and get about 60 gal for the genny.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Paul, I hope your camp rides it out well, the feeder will be a minor issue I expect.

I'm not really worried about the feeder. I am now second guessing my decision to leave the RV under the pole barn.
Posted By: hanco Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
Good luck, haul ass or hunker down!!

I'm not really worried about the feeder. I am now second guessing my decision to leave the RV under the pole barn.

Well poop.

But if that thing is engineered for 130 gusts, maybe the RV will come out alright too?

Here's hoping it fizzles somewhat.
One forecast i saw earlier this morning,

12” rain fro east central MS.
I have already got over 6 from 9 pm last night when I dumped the guage,it was over flowing about a hr ago.
It is gorgeous over here in the NOLA area right now. bright blue skies, a fresh breeze and lower humidity than normal.
Wind speed up to 90 mph. Gonna increase even more. Wild times in Mississippi, especially Gulfport.
The eye looks poised to pass over my daughter in Gulfport, then my camp, them my other daughter and brother. Good times!
The eye looks poised to pass over my daughter in Gulfport, then my camp, them my other daughter and brother. Good times!

Again, Paul, keep us posted.

I’m headed to the camp and woods now to nail a cover over both gravity feeders .

Glad to be west of this gal.
It's hurricane season in the South. SO far, here in North Central FL, we have dodged the bullet.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
It's hurricane season in the South. SO far, here in North Central FL, we have dodged the bullet.

Well, at least there's no conjecture as to them being arsonist caused.
Well crap the 4 pm has it at cat 2 100 mph + and another jump to the east and slowing down even more. Ivan blew for over 15 hrs here and this might last longer. Looks like s-its going to get real here for the next couple of days.
Cat 2 and maybe headed to Cat 3. Forward motion is slowing. This is gonna dump massive rain on Miss. and Alabama.

New Orleans gets a pass.
I didn’t even know there was a storm coming until a guy I used to work with called asking if I had empty space for him somewhere north.

He and family left St Bernard parish last night and shiiks already by at a vacant rental in Austin. Hope he brought a hammer.
Hurricane Camille cut Ship Island in half leaving about a mile wide cut in the middle. Over time the two islands started growing back together. They were very close to connecting. Then Katrina widened the cut substantially. The National Park service had recently completed a dredge project that joined the two islands again. That project hasn't hardened with any growth. I think this is going to cut them in half again.
Gonna get a bit sporty here. I just left Fort Morgan peninsula on the south side of Mobile Bay. Seas 8 -10' on the gulf side and 4 - 6' on the bay side. Some coastal flooding underway. Latest forecast calling for 15 - 20" of rain and 4 - 7' storm surge.

I spent the past month building a boathouse out there and finished it yesterday. I was driving thru saltwater getting the last of my stuff out a little bit ago. Gonna be an interesting few days for sure.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/14/20
May all be safe, as this passes!
when we get a storm i stock up on beer and stuff to bbq, and invite friends over.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20

Looking like it wants a piece of y’all, Sam.
Hunker down Ole Boy.
Cat 2 and maybe headed to Cat 3. Forward motion is slowing. This is gonna dump massive rain on Miss. and Alabama.

New Orleans gets a pass.

Acting a lot like Laura did by gaining such momentum pre-landfall.
Just talked to MOM and she said so far just some rain and wind.

This time tomorrow will tell the story for the Biloxi area.
Just talked to MOM and she said so far just some rain and wind.

This time tomorrow will tell the story for the Biloxi area.

Hancock County is under mandatory evacuation orders.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20
Well the 10 pm is in now,still 100 mph going west north west at 3. New eye land fall 7 am Wed in Mobile then a very slow hook east north east. 20 plus inches of rain plus the wind is going to make for a few long days.
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20

Dang I am glad we did not plant ours this past weekend. If we get near the rain they say it would have been a total waist of money and time.
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Gonna get a bit sporty here. I just left Fort Morgan peninsula on the south side of Mobile Bay. Seas 8 -10' on the gulf side and 4 - 6' on the bay side. Some coastal flooding underway. Latest forecast calling for 15 - 20" of rain and 4 - 7' storm surge.

I spent the past month building a boathouse out there and finished it yesterday. I was driving thru saltwater getting the last of my stuff out a little bit ago. Gonna be an interesting few days for sure.

Just finished the boat house yesterday. Bama Rick I think you are going to have to build a new boat house.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20
I'm planting food plots hoping for a rain I won't put any fertilizer on for a couple of weeks though. My guess is the rain is going to be bad in places but the wind shouldn't be much of a factor.

Just finished the boat house yesterday. Bama Rick I think you are going to have to build a new boat house.

The Boathouse will be fine, but the piers not so much.
We lost power about an hour ago. Probably going to be a few days.

The deck boards get torn loose pretty easily. The rest of the structure can withstand quite a bit. Here's wishing you luck.

The deck boards get torn loose pretty easily. The rest of the structure can withstand quite a bit. Here's wishing you luck.

Job security... grin

Job security... grin

Keep us posted, Rick.

Well, at least there's no conjecture as to them being arsonist caused.

Laughing at “conjecture “
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20
Our buddies in Venice have their boats back at the dock and are hoping they'll open the levy up so they can get back home. The water only got 3' over normal which is just a really high tide.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20
Taz himself couldn’t spin one of those small ones up!! Got friends in BSL, Mississippi. Looks like they’re gonna get hit right in the teeth.
Posted By: Steve Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/15/20
Good luck to you guys!
Bay St Louis is looking better than it did a few hours ago, the storm's shifting east. They're calling for 3-5' storm surges all along the MS gulf coast (Katrina was 30' just outside Bay St Louis).

It looks like Dauphin Island and Mobile AL are in the crosshairs.
[Linked Image from nhc.noaa.gov]
Good luck the to Bama folks.

Keeps shifting. Now saying 2-4” for east central MS.
Damn thing is moving along at 2 mph.
Looks like we're gonna take a direct hit, give or take a few miles. Latest track has it coming in about 20 mi. west of here early in the morning. NOAA is forecasting 20 - 25" of rain here. All good so far...
Looks like we're gonna take a direct hit, give or take a few miles. Latest track has it coming in about 20 mi. west of here early in the morning. NOAA is forecasting 20 - 25" of rain here. All good so far...

Yep, wife and I are here chilling and watching the weather nerds. Looks like the eye is skirting just east of our place so we are relatively relieved about that.

Bout ready to claw my eyeballs out given the pace its moving. Tired of hearing the words "historic rain / flooding".

Power is flickering pretty regularly. Don't think it will make it through the night.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/16/20
God bless all you Coastal folks. Our home is praying for you.
Hit the beach this morning, CAT 2 at 105 mph. Record rainfall for Mobile and Pensacola.
Took it on the chin here fellas. The eye made it here at 3:30 this morning. Lots of trees down, one on the house.
Posted By: SKane Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/16/20
Fingers crossed for you folks. Be safe.
Prayers for you folks.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/16/20
Took it on the chin here fellas. The eye made it here at 3:30 this morning. Lots of trees down, one on the house.

Sorry to hear that, Rick. Hoping damages don’t get worse.

At 2 mph it’s practically stalled on you folks.

Buddies up in Atmore and over in Brewton are catching hell right now.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/16/20
Prayers are with you and others in the MS/LA area.

I' reminded of when Hurricane Jeanne pounded us in Florida in 2004, also slow moving and just dumped massive amounts of water in its slow track over land. Horrible.
Confirmed damage at the camp.

My Tactacam Reveal picked up the motion of the structure collapsing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Folks, the area Bama Rick is in took a pounding. Nearly 3 days of rain softened the ground up. Trees are down everywhere. Because of the duration of the winds in their area, the surge was substantial. All waterfront infrastructure is damaged to some degree and much of it is demolished.

Now there is another storm brewing in the Gulf. It is likely to earn the name Wilfred today or tomorrow and it is expected to come our way.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/17/20
Folks, the area Bama Rick is in took a pounding. Nearly 3 days of rain softened the ground up. Trees are down everywhere. Because of the duration of the winds in their area, the surge was substantial. All waterfront infrastructure is damaged to some degree and much of it is demolished.

Now there is another storm brewing in the Gulf. It is likely to earn the name Wilfred today or tomorrow and it is expected to come our way.

The perils of coastal living, Paul.

Hope you can whip that shed back into shape.

Your tractor??
Looks to me to be the target board that got taken out. whistle
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Your tractor??

It's all good. Just the broken target stand.
Looks to me to be the target board that got taken out. whistle

That was it. Devastating loss.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/17/20

Your tractor??

#dense
BamaRick, did the boat house survive?
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Your tractor??

#dense

Brought to you straight from south Florida.

Your tractor??

It's all good. Just the broken target stand.

All we got was a well needed rain.

Thankful for it, too.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/17/20

Your tractor??

#dense

Are you visiting Flave?

Your tractor??

#dense

Are you visiting Flave?

You would know.
We're still without power. Some reports are saying two to three weeks. Cell signal comes and goes. Had 29.9 inches of rain over a few days. Got the tree off the house. One generator down and one on one leg. Good Times!!😁

P.s. haven't watched much news at all. Did someone relevant die?
Our local Electrical Co-Op took a real beating. 2000 snapped poles, 4300 trees on lines and all but a few substations flooded.
A compass won't be needed for a very long time. Most of the remaining trees have a very distinctive West lean
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 09/19/20
My son in law is in Lake Charles working to restore power there. He's not real happy sleeping in a tent on a cot and using community showers. He's been needing a wake up call on how lucky he is to have a such a great job in middle Georgia. Hopefully they'll get power to you sooner rather than later.
I really hate to rehash this old thread, but 25 years ago this week we had the 2nd hurricane of the year hit the northern Gulf coast.

Here we go again...

[Linked Image from nhc.noaa.gov]
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 10/05/20
Been watching that.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Southeast Louisiana Folks - 10/05/20
That figures, my son left the boat in Leeville instead of bringing it up to Golden Meadow. Looks like we'll be riding out there if something doesn't change.
© 24hourcampfire