Home
Just watched a documentary called The Devil We Know. Its on Youtube.

DuPont executives should be in jail. Its 90 minutes but if you aren't aware of what they've done to you, you'll be pissed

Tag to watch later.

Big companies have done a lot of that. Motorola dumped toxic chemicals in a desert aquifer.
If you knew the depth of deceit related to pollutant discharge in this country you'd pass a few bricks.

There are two streams in Florida that are used by paper mills to discharge waste water. One flows into the gulf, the other wanders into the St. Johns River then the Atlantic. The discharge includes dioxin which is a byproduct of the paper making processes. The state recently declined to set a contamination standard for this and EPA said "OK, fine". My words, not theirs. Dioxin is the active agent in Agent Orange.

There be a couple things on this earth that are fundamentally necessary to human kind. Water and air are top of the list. You'd think we might be better stewards, no?

Take a look at this document which is a data summary of part of the findings from an investigation over the course of 2 years in a Florida river. The plethora of chemicals only represent what was tested for, not the entire chemical population. The mix is dumbfounding nonetheless.

https://www.warinconline.com/content/files/LWR_Phase%202_Interim%20Report%20070318.pdf
DuPont used to be THE major employer here in south Jersey - "Uncle DuPee". Dad was a welder there, and it ruined him. Retired at 62, dead at 68, and never had an opportunity to enjoy his retirement, spent it in and out of hospitals. Lost 40% of his lung capacity after being caught in a phosgene gas leak. Kidney failure believed to be from exposure to toxins from lead and galvanized metals; heart failure, broken bones, etc. Used to tell me I'd never work for DuPont's as long as he was alive to stop me.

Had a great-uncle who was horribly burned there, burned so bad that he could only be identified by his initials on his belt buckle. He survived after extensive plastic surgeries to rebuild his ruined hands, fingers and facial features.

Had a young neighbor, father of two, who was killed in the infamous Plant One explosion in 1969. Only remains they found of him was a finger with his wedding band attached.

I knew many DuPont employees who died way too young.
Dad knew what he was talking about.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you knew the depth of deceit related to pollutant discharge in this country you'd pass a few bricks.

There are two streams in Florida that are used by paper mills to discharge waste water. One flows into the gulf, the other wanders into the St. Johns River then the Atlantic. The discharge includes dioxin which is a byproduct of the paper making processes. The state recently declined to set a contamination standard for this and EPA said "OK, fine". My words, not theirs. Dioxin is the active agent in Agent Orange.

There be a couple things on this earth that are fundamentally necessary to human kind. Water and air are top of the list. You'd think we might be better stewards, no?

Take a look at this document which is a data summary of part of the findings from an investigation over the course of 2 years in a Florida river. The plethora of chemicals only represent what was tested for, not the entire chemical population. The mix is dumbfounding nonetheless.

https://www.warinconline.com/content/files/LWR_Phase%202_Interim%20Report%20070318.pdf

And people eat the seafood caught in those areas.
DuPont had a facility in Pompton Lakes, next door to my town. The ground water was contaminated by their chemicals. https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/watchdog/2018/02/14/dupont-pompton-lakes-pollution/806921001/

Hey, they create jobs, and dividends for the shareholders, so they're good for the nation. You can always buy water from Nestle and purchase a gas mask . . .
Well, I’ve worked for them for 32 years in R&D testing experimental pesticides. I’m still alive, healthy and still testing pesticides. I didn’t watch the docu, but my guess is if there is a coverup in ANY company, it happens at a level well below the executives.
Shaun, bottled water from around here is pretty much as messy as surface water. It’s mostly all coming from springs. The river referenced in the report I linked gets about 75% of flow from springs.

Drink up!
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Well, I’ve worked for them for 32 years in R&D testing experimental pesticides. I’m still alive, healthy and still testing pesticides. I didn’t watch the docu, but my guess is if there is a coverup in ANY company, it happens at a level well below the executives.

I don't think you'd say that if you watched the documentary
I’ll have to watch it then.

So far???

I'm sure in today's world, perhaps even 32 years ago when you started, the company is providing you with appropriate PPE?

I sure hope your luck and skill hold out.

Dan, I'm surprised at your post given this quote from a 1987 paper:

EPA will begin regulating the discharge of dioxins from paper mills shortly to reduce levels in the effluents.

https://archive.epa.gov/epa/aboutepa/national-dioxin-study-released.html

It's been known for a long time that chlorine bleaching of paper has a result of dioxin possibly being released into the environment. And given how nasty that stuff is, and how persistent in the environment, I'm truly astonished FL would continue to allow it to pollute the Waters of the State.
The first 30 years of my life both in Kentucky and on the gulf coast, I was surrounded by contaminated water supplies. Asking a man to choose between a good paying job and the environment, my experience is he'll choose the job.
Valsdsd, I don’t know it is totally unregulated, the point I was trying to make was EPA offered an opportunity for states to modify the then existing standards. This was during the Rick Scott era. The state chose to ignore dioxin and raised the allowable level of some 4-5 other known carcinogenic compounds. They also raised allowable levels for other common pollutants. FWIW, I wouldn’t piss on Rick Scott if he was afire.

Having won the Agent Orange lottery I’m a bit polarized on the topic of carcinogenic compound pollution. It is BS writ large. While I’m at it, Dow, Monsanto and their ilk deserve a special niche in Hell.
Shaun, bottled water from around here is pretty much as messy as surface water. It’s mostly all coming from springs. The river referenced in the report I linked gets about 75% of flow from springs.

Drink up!

I had my tongue firmly planted in-cheek. Personally, I think those responsible should be shot. But I feel the same way about most politicians as well so . . .
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Dan, I'm surprised at your post given this quote from a 1987 paper:

EPA will begin regulating the discharge of dioxins from paper mills shortly to reduce levels in the effluents.

https://archive.epa.gov/epa/aboutepa/national-dioxin-study-released.html

It's been known for a long time that chlorine bleaching of paper has a result of dioxin possibly being released into the environment. And given how nasty that stuff is, and how persistent in the environment, I'm truly astonished FL would continue to allow it to pollute the Waters of the State.

Green paper is a miraculous lubricant.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

I had my tongue firmly planted in-cheek. Personally, I think those responsible should be shot. But I feel the same way about most politicians as well so . . .

There are a lot of us who agree with you.

I understand you have significant time invested, but if they’re still testing experimental pesticides on you, I would seek other employment.
Couple years and I’m done.

Dioxin was not the active ingredient in agent orange. Rather, it was a contaminant that caused the health issues associated with agent orange.
Well, you are correct perhaps. Agent Orange killed a lot of trees. Dioxin killed a lot of people. Which was more deadly?
Valsdsd, I don’t know it is totally unregulated, the point I was trying to make was EPA offered an opportunity for states to modify the then existing standards. This was during the Rick Scott era. The state chose to ignore dioxin and raised the allowable level of some 4-5 other known carcinogenic compounds. They also raised allowable levels for other common pollutants. FWIW, I wouldn’t piss on Rick Scott if he was afire.

Having won the Agent Orange lottery I’m a bit polarized on the topic of carcinogenic compound pollution. It is BS writ large. While I’m at it, Dow, Monsanto and their ilk deserve a special niche in Hell.

So now he's one of your Senators. Bummer.

Were I you, I'd be polarized..........wait, I already am in regards to "carcinogenic compound pollution.".

And, when it's all over, I'm a firm believer some of those companies, and their execs, will visit "the hot place" in the afterlife.
I've seen Dupont's poisons KFWA.
I got to get sleep, but will try to get back tomorrow at break.
I've not seen past the first part, but will watch when able. I'll just say this for now.....
Teflon is a fluoride based compound.
Fluoride is highly reactive and more importantly highly toxic. It's expensive to dispose of unless you pay off cheap politicians, F&D. Then it can go into rat poisons, drinking water and toothpastes....medications too.

I threw away all of my Teflon pans, fluoride toothpaste and no more city water.

12:00+ Is why I talk about this in spite of being called names by those who care less.
FWIW my cousin is dieing from cancer right now. She grew up living next to Wurtsmith AFB which is heavily polluted with PFOS/PFOA.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...mith-base-oscoda-clark-marsh/5269495002/
A sidebar to this discussion FWIW, is the topic of nutrient pollution. Think phosphorus, nitrate/nitrite. Primary sources being fertilizer and human/animal waste. Put another way, people with lawns and septic tanks, golf courses and agricultural activities. Not here to argue use other than to suggest we need to step back and consider what and how we do these things. The EPA standard for nitrate pollution is 10 mg/l and for the most part Florida waters are below that threshold. Our waters are also heavily impacted by algal proliferation. On another and more alarming point various studies suggest with clarity that 2.0 mg/l concentrations promote blue baby syndrome. It results from heart birth defects.

Suicide ain’t painless.
I'm old enough to recognize the "painless" reference wink

Someone in one of the other thread mentioned a relative that rarely used chemical inputs on their farm, except when "nuking" particular weed species and then they might use 4x the recommended amount (maybe it was 10x?)

That's a common occurrence unfortunately, not usually for big applicators as they look at it in economic terms too, and possible fines if/when caught. But the happy homeowners and their weed and feed, sheesh. The line of thought that if one bag states it will cover the lawn I have imagine how green and weed free it will be if I use two or three, it's not the expensive after all. And then it rains, or they water, and then it's in the gutter and into the local creek, and down the river to the estuary. Or it gets into the ground water.

Oh well, having had 2 different types of cancer so far, I'll not be surprised if a third shows up. Sun likely caused one of mine. A good chance all the chemicals I've absorbed caused the other. Including all those cigarettes I smoked, starting back when Drs were still telling patients they could help calm their nerves and such. And the tobacco companies were lying to us about how safe their product was.

Them gold courses like nice green, weed free courses too. No telling how much product gets used on them. I wonder what golfers did before Monsanto and Dow???? Live with some weeds and a somewhat yellower fairway?

IME agro-chemical research is sorta top-heavy with PhD's, while at the same time being a relatively small professional community nation- and World-wide.

Seems like if that group of people were experiencing health problems at rate above the norm you guys would know about it.
Dupont used to dig pits/ trenches along the Monongahela River shore line.
They pored the waste chemicals into those pits.
They would spill over and percolate into that river when they would dispose of those liquids. I guessed that it was their way of "getting around EPA regs " like a boy might tell a lie while crossing his fingers. You could walk the RR tracks and look at the pits and see the multi colored chemo.
The city drinking water was down stream.

I quit fishing at that point.
Dayom, 1.50 hours. Is that in Pacifica time? No way. I'm too busy sctrachin my ass. Can you give me an iron the cliff notes version. A quick synopsis will do. wink

Uh, lets see, can i guess wheather Norwegians or Russians ran this deal?
© 24hourcampfire