Home
Posted By: simonkenton7 My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I drove my brother over to Charlotte yesterday to pick up his new Tesla.

He let me drive it for 45 miles. Good God what a car! Acceleration is unreal. Very quiet. Controls easy to use.
This car would be lots of fun on a twisty road.
Posted By: victoro Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
How far can you drive before you have to call a tow truck to come get you?
Posted By: grouseman Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
Keep us posted on his long term ownership. Battery life, auto-driving glitches, terrible build quality, battery fires, you know, the usual Tesla problems.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
Awesome fossil fuel powered vehicles that can only drive 240 miles once every 8 hours.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
Every so often on my drive to my gun club on a twisty mountain road, a Tesla will pass me on a solid double yellow, when I'm doing the speed limit. The acceleration is amazing, but the driver is a real azz hole. Some day it's gonna catch up with him and unfortunately most likely some innocent person will get killed too.
Originally Posted by victoro

We drove 101 miles out today, and 101 miles back home. I was sweating that battery charge, when we got home it had 8 percent charge left. This is with little A/C on a 68 degree cloudy day. On a sunny 93 degree day that A/C is going to cut that mileage, no doubt. So, best case you better not plan to go over 200 miles.
Brother is disappointed in the cruising range as Tesla claims it will go 300 miles.

However, so far, that is the only disappointment as this vehicle is fast, quiet and smooth. Very well designed controls and easy to drive. Very sporty car I would love to take it out on some twisty mountain roads.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
That's only after you break the batteries in.......................
Posted By: 16bore Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
I’d love to see what electric race cars would be like. Drag racing, F1. Be kinda neat.
Posted By: victoro Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’d love to see what electric race cars would be like. Drag racing, F1. Be kinda neat.

Don Garlits built some battery powered dragsters that were pretty fast but not even close to being competitive.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

We drove 101 miles out today, and 101 miles back home. I was sweating that battery charge, when we got home it had 8 percent charge left. This is with little A/C on a 68 degree cloudy day. On a sunny 93 degree day that A/C is going to cut that mileage, no doubt. So, best case you better not plan to go over 200 miles.
Brother is disappointed in the cruising range as Tesla claims it will go 300 miles.

However, so far, that is the only disappointment as this vehicle is fast, quiet and smooth. Very well designed controls and easy to drive. Very sporty car I would love to take it out on some twisty mountain roads.

And how long does it take to come back to full charge on 240v on an almost empty charge state.
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Every so often on my drive to my gun club on a twisty mountain road, a Tesla will pass me on a solid double yellow, when I'm doing the speed limit. The acceleration is amazing, but the driver is a real azz hole. Some day it's gonna catch up with him and unfortunately most likely some innocent person will get killed too.

One day on my bicycle I might get hit from behind by a Tesla I didn't hear coming.

There's some irony in there somewhere.

OTOH I ain't been taken out by a Prius yet so there's some hope.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

And how long does it take to come back to full charge on 240v on an almost empty charge state.

I wired up a 4-wire 240v receptacle, just a clothes dryer receptacle that we bought at Lowes for $15. Bought 25 feet of 10-3 with ground plus a 240v breaker, and I wired it up in his carport.
This will charge it up from nothing to full charge in 13 hours. This is what he charged it up with last night.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/16/20
So drive 200 miles and wait 13 hours for another 200 miles? nah
Liberal idiot that lives across the street from me has had one for nearly 3 years and I have lost track of all the times he's driving a loaner car because it is in the shop again.

Last time around it was a electrical fire that nearly totaled it, it was in the shop for 3 months that time....
Posted By: EdM Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Hey if he is happy I am happy. Never understood why folks are concerned with how one chooses to spend their money.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electr...e-to-gas-powered-mustang-but-beats-chevy

And you won't have long to wait for open wheeled cars apparently either, but hybrid it seems

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/1/20750192/indycar-hybrid-2022-specs-plans-electric
Posted By: VernAK Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
They bring em here for cold weather testing but I've noticed they don't drive em up the Alcan.
Posted By: Toddly Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
It’s a pretty fast car but not as fast as my gas car. But not as expensive either. 😁
Oh and that on a twisty road would get chewed up by most German sports cars without the vaginal plug in device.
Posted By: Morewood Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
I like that pic of your brother looking all badass leaning on his new Tesla. Clearly he is a discerning man well-versed in the finer things in life.

Is that his dating site photo?
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I wired up a 4-wire 240v receptacle, just a clothes dryer receptacle that we bought at Lowes for $15. Bought 25 feet of 10-3 with ground plus a 240v breaker, and I wired it up in his carport.
This will charge it up from nothing to full charge in 13 hours. This is what he charged it up with last night.
The car comes with a big vaginal receptical, like Oprah.
Originally Posted by Morewood
I like that pic of your brother looking all badass leaning on his new Tesla. Clearly he is a discerning man well-versed in the finer things in life.

Is that his dating site photo?

Clearly
Posted By: add Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by fgold767
So drive 200 miles and wait 13 hours for another 200 miles? nah

Great 25 mile commuter vehicle.
Posted By: johnn Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by Toddly
It’s a pretty fast car but not as fast as my gas car. But not as expensive either. 😁

My dick is bigger than your dick kinda guy....Laffin....

That advertised 300 mile range is with you pushing it for the last 100 miles. Or Fred Flintstoning it. 😜
Posted By: EdM Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
As noted above, if he's happy I am happy. Hell my Tundra and 70 Dart Singer have shorter ranges on a full tank of gas. That said, neither are going anywhere.
Posted By: horse1 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

Formula E........
Originally Posted by johnn

I’m guessing you could suck start my car? Battery boy.
Originally Posted by horse1

Formula E........

It's like watching a slot car race.
Run a few laps and change cars. Total joke
Posted By: MadMooner Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
What are you driving, Toddly?

Not many cars can pace a Tesla.
Originally Posted by johnn

I’m guessing you could suck start my car? Battery boy.

What, your bad ass metro, get a life, or let your wife start it for you, if she still suks.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

My GT2 will do the trick.
Porsche?

That’s a hell of a ride! Buddy just got a GT3RS.

It’d be a good race with a 100kwh Tesla. The Roadsters, if they ever get released, are supposed sub 2 sec 0-60 cars. Under 9 in the 1/4.

I love a gas burner but can surely appreciate the power of electric. Something about a torque curve that goes from 0 to max in an instant....... smile
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

One day on my bicycle I might get hit from behind by a Tesla I didn't hear coming.

There's some irony in there somewhere.

OTOH I ain't been taken out by a Prius yet so there's some hope.

Stay off the highway on a bicycle and you won’t have to worry about that 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted By: High_Noon Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Tesla? No thanks.
Porsche?

It’d be a good race with a 100kwh Tesla. The Roadsters, if they ever get released, are supposed sub 2 sec 0-60 cars. Under 9 in the 1/4.

I love a gas burner but can surely appreciate the power of electric. Something about a torque curve that goes from 0 to max in an instant....... smile

Seems Ford already has one of those. Did you look at the link in my post above? 150+ in a quarter mile. The gas version one by a bit, but if I saw correctly, the E car driver pulled a wheelie and blew it somewhat.

Was just looking at the GT2 specs. That thing is a beast!
Porsche?

It’s certainly a slot car accelerator
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Porsche?

Seems Ford already has one of those. Did you look at the link in my post above? 150+ in a quarter mile. The gas version one by a bit, but if I saw correctly, the E car driver pulled a wheelie and blew it somewhat.

Just saw it!
The Tesla will be grocery getter not a full blown drag car, but that Stang was motivatin’! I’ve seen other vids of it running solo. Crazy to hear the noise as it launches. No roaring motor, just violence.

It’s a keeper. Wonder how the electric cars do in the turns? I’m to old to take the Porsche in them at full capacity.

It’s a keeper. Wonder how the electric cars do in the turns? I’m to old to take the Porsche in them at full capacity.

Too old.....? why did you buy Porsche if you cant drive it?....., some peoples dumbfuggery never ceases to amaze.
https://youtu.be/ARzujfRiQ3c

Street racing with a Tesla
Posted By: cooper57m Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

The trip my brother and I took yesterday was from the Asheville area, in the top left of the map, down towards Gastonia in the lower center, it was 101 miles.
The main east-west road in this photo is I 40.
Tesla has "Supercharger" stations set up along the roads, they are at motels or at gas stations. You can see in the left part of the photo there are 2 Superchargers, in the Asheville area, and the one in the top center of the photo is in Hickory NC, about 70 miles away. So, one supercharger every 70 miles or so on the Interstates.

To get a good charge at a Supercharger takes 40 minutes and costs about $20.

Obviously it would be ridiculous to attempt a long distance trip in this vehicle.

My brother didn't buy it for that, you might say he just bought this car for the hell of it. As I said we are not greenies and we think that "climate change" is a bunch of BS.
My brother has a shiny new Nissan 4WD pickup for his main vehicle and for long trips. Plus he uses it to haul firewood to his log cabin, he burns his wood stove all winter just like I do.

We are up here in the NC mountains. It is 43 miles, along the Blue Ridge Parkway, to drive to the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak this side of the Mississippi.
One month from now during leaf season, this will be the perfect vehicle to make that trip, twisty roads all the way.
Drive it around for a hundred ten miles in a day, take it back to your carport and plug it in. Great car for a day trip like that.

I'm sure there are guys on this forum who have bought expensive motorcycles on the same deal, just to have some fun on a sunny weekend drive, not for a main means of transportation.

Posted By: Lucas1 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

The trip my brother and I took yesterday was from the Asheville area, in the top left of the map, down towards Gastonia in the lower center, it was 101 miles.
The main east-west road in this photo is I 40.
Tesla has "Supercharger" stations set up along the roads, they are at motels or at gas stations. You can see in the left part of the photo there are 2 Superchargers, in the Asheville area, and the one in the top center of the photo is in Hickory NC, about 70 miles away. So, one supercharger every 70 miles or so on the Interstates.

To get a good charge at a Supercharger takes 40 minutes and costs about $20.

Obviously it would be ridiculous to attempt a long distance trip in this vehicle.

My brother didn't buy it for that, you might say he just bought this car for the hell of it. As I said we are not greenies and we think that "climate change" is a bunch of BS.
My brother has a shiny new Nissan 4WD pickup for his main vehicle and for long trips. Plus he uses it to haul firewood to his log cabin, he burns his wood stove all winter just like I do.

We are up here in the NC mountains. It is 43 miles, along the Blue Ridge Parkway, to drive to the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak this side of the Mississippi.
One month from now during leaf season, this will be the perfect vehicle to make that trip, twisty roads all the way.
Drive it around for a hundred ten miles in a day, take it back to your carport and plug it in. Great car for a day trip like that.

I'm sure there are guys on this forum who have bought expensive motorcycles on the same deal, just to have some fun on a sunny weekend drive, not for a main means of transportation.

I live in Mississippi. I saw a Tesla with California plates the other day. Is it possible to drive from California to Mississippi in a Tesla?
Good until the power grid burns down.
Posted By: dassa Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Good until the power grid burns down.

If the power grid burns down, you're not pumping gas, either.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
I prefer 427/454s with dual four barrel Webbers myself. I stopped using electric cars when I was six or when I went to the fair to play bumper cars.

How about that toady, the Porsche is pretty fast.... but not fast enough, cant even blame the results on a old guy.. laffin
Posted By: deflave Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
I understand initial reluctance of electric cars but I'm somewhat dumbfounded by the ignorance displayed in threads like this.

Some of you fugkers need to read more.

As in... a LOT more.

LOL
Posted By: Windfall Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
One of the guys in our birding club down south has one of those X versions and he touts the charging stations all over too. He did say that the a/c and the heater pull down the range some, but he and the wife did try a cross country trip in the thing a couple years back. I would get impatient waiting 40 minutes for my car to charge on a trip. I've not been in a Model 3, but his X was sure no prize to ride in when we went birding. Hard low seats, limited visibility and rough ride with those big wheels and performance tires. With as fast as these things are, I'll bet that they are kind of hard on tires. Tesla does have an interesting battery system though. As I understand it, there is a whole big bank of very small flash light size batteries that you can replace individually. Their dealer network is like nonexistent and you need to deal with the factory or that is how it was two years ago. For that X car and maybe some of the others, you can order a performance upgrade over the phone and they program your car remotely. Too Buck Rogers for me. A buddy of mine is an EMT and they are cautioned about using the jaws of life to get someone out of an electric car. Think cutting through a high voltage wire.
Originally Posted by deflave
I understand initial reluctance of electric cars but I'm somewhat dumbfounded by the ignorance displayed in threads like this.

As in... a LOT more.

LOL

Don't you know it!

link
The Roadsters, if they ever get released, are supposed sub 2 sec 0-60 cars. Under 9 in the 1/4.

Not long after the “2020” roadster was announced, my wife decided she wanted one. Rather than put a down payment on it, the cooler head prevailed and we put 10% of the purchase price into TSLA in “her” brokerage account that has been sitting.

We agreed that if it grew to the purchase price of the Roadster, and she still wanted it, we’d buy one. Seems she is still interested because she regularly checks to see if it has hit $600.
Originally Posted by Lucas1
Is it possible to drive from California to Mississippi in a Tesla?

No, totally impossible electric cars are stupid they just run out of charge and you have to stop on the side of the road.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
For now, hybrid is the way to go, I am convinced. For passenger and medium SUV use, anyway. Not so much for towing yet. Hybrid gives you the best of both worlds, IMO: electric control, torque and assist, but with the convenience of gasoline refueling.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

As in... a LOT more.

LOL

Don't you know it!

link

Classic Boomer.

As in... a LOT more.

LOL

Don't you know it!

link

Classic Boomer.

Thank you for the compliment

As in... a LOT more.

LOL

Read more......................bwahahahaha...............that's a good one around these part.............

When do you take the comedy show on the road?
Electric cars are for people who like small kitchen appliances and K cup coffee makers.

Homos in other words.

As in... a LOT more.

LOL

Don't you know it!

link

Interesting read jorge,

leaves a lot of unanswered questions still.

As in, did the calculations take into account the amount of CO2 produced in the production, transportation and refining of the gasoline they were comparing the battery production to?

There's a very big caveat here too,

The calculation is based on the assumption that the electricity mix used in the battery factory consists of more than half of the fossil fuels.

considering that the majority of US electrical generation is now in nuclear, renewables, and natural gas (which releases about 30% less CO2 than oil and 45% less than coal). And the percentage of fossil fuel generation continues to drop yearly.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Electric cars are for people who like small kitchen appliances and K cup coffee makers.

Homos in other words.

Our coffee maker has a drip pot and a "K cup" deal. Wife uses the pot, I use the re-usable filter individual cup deal.

If they were cheap enough, an electric car would make sense for out trips to town. Probably need to charge it once a week. And I could rig up a solar deal to keep it charged on the days we don't even go to town. 300+ days of sun a year and few trees in the way can make a lot of electrons.

Oh, I like girls...........
Val: I have no issues with anyone owning Tesla (or Tesla-like" cars. I just don't want people telling me what I can or can't own or even than their way is better based on theory and not proven science.
unfortunately jorge, there's always someone in some capacity telling us what we can or can't own. It's just different in some jurisdictions than it is in others.........

and yes, it sucks.

As for science, coming from a science background I figure science is never settled, and there are always so many questions they'll never answer them all.

And that kind of sucks too. wink
I prefer 427/454s with dual four barrel Webbers myself. I stopped using electric cars when I was six or when I went to the fair to play bumper cars.

Classic Boomer.
unfortunately jorge, there's always someone in some capacity telling us what we can or can't own. It's just different in some jurisdictions than it is in others.........

and yes, it sucks.

As for science, coming from a science background I figure science is never settled, and there are always so many questions they'll never answer them all.

I swear some of you mongos watched the Space Shuttle and thought how much you prefer a rotary engined propeller.
Posted By: Dutch Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Lucas1
Is it possible to drive from California to Mississippi in a Tesla?

No, totally impossible electric cars are stupid they just run out of charge and you have to stop on the side of the road.

Absolutely. The EV record for the cannonball run (Redondo beach, CA to NYC) is slower than the pony express, took them 46 HOURS to cross the continent. Can’t imagine ANYONE taking almost two whole DAYS to drive across the US.

I suggest getting nervous about battery status anytIme you lose sight of your house....

https://techau.com.au/tesla-model-3-sets-new-ev-cannonball-run-record-20hrs-slower-than-ice/
Posted By: Bristoe Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
An acquaintance of mine bought a new Model S Tesla last year. I had heard of them but never really looked one over. They're very upscale cars. 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. 160+ top speed. He told me he paid $40K for it.

If they can get batteries to produce a 900 mile range I think they could sell them faster than they could make them for $40K.

It's all about battery technology at this point,...and they're getting better all the time.
Gayer than giving Liberace a BJ under his piano.
Posted By: 79S Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

Homos in other words.

Hey take it easy on yourself buddy

and yes, it sucks.

I swear some of you mongos watched the Space Shuttle and thought how much you prefer a rotary engined propeller.

Not me, I'm all aboard on E-vehicles.

As soon as there's an affordable one with a maintenance free flux capacitor on board, I'll sell the 17 year old Matrix and rush down to the dealership for one.

I already posted on how suitable an e car would be for our trips to town.

A car powered by your references to homosexual sex would have more cruising range than any technology yet discovered.

Liberace was gay?
Yeah.....nobody saw that coming.

Women LOVED him!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Fossil fuel pollution to build the car and fossil fuel burned to charge the car. Nice clean environment, NOT.
The supercharging stations use 440 volts to fast charge (40-45 minutes) a Tesla. Charging stations are all over the country along the interstate highway system. Tesla has a map on their website. So yea, you can drive 4 hours, charge while you eat, (most are supposed to be near restaurants also). This allows you to go cross country. Hotels now have charging stations. I've read the newer Teslas can charge in 8 hours with 120v, 3 hours with 220v, and 45 minutes with 440 supercharging stations. Charging at their charging stations are supposed to be free for the first 50,000 miles or so. Also, you can get additional extended range batteries in their model S to go 400 miles. Their pickup truck coming out next year is supposed to go 500 miles on a charge as well as their semi truck 500 miles.

Just like gasoline cars and trucks, mileage will depend on using air conditioning, how much load you are carrying, acceleration speeds, and top speed. Mileage was figured with driver only and slow accelerating, and no ac at 70 mph. I am supposed to get about 18-20mpg on my Ford Expediton. Best I ever got was about 16mpg with 93 octaine premium gas. I drive about 78 on the interstate, sometimes accelerate fast, and long trips are with luggage.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Hey if he is happy I am happy. Never understood why folks are concerned with how one chooses to spend their money.

Funny aint it? crazy the T's not for me, but idgas if someone else wants one.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
An acquaintance of mine bought a new Model S Tesla last year. I had heard of them but never really looked one over. They're very upscale cars. 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. 160+ top speed. He told me he paid $40K for it.

If they can get batteries to produce a 900 mile range I think they could sell them faster than they could make them for $40K.

It's all about battery technology at this point,...and they're getting better all the time.

The Model S starts at $75K and goes up from there if you want more range and performance. I think you can get a stripped down Model 3 in the 40K range but the prices goes up quickly if you add desirable features (AWD, Autopilot, bigger battery). I drove one for a day and it is fast off the line and has some cool features. For my needs, I'll stick with my 12 year old Tacoma and leave the $40K in the bank. If they come out with something with a no kidding real 400 mile range for $30K, I would be interested.
Posted By: RDW Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
If I was in the market I would want to try out a battery powered "chicks car".....8.27 @ 168

Edit, and the Tesla's are sweet!

" So yea, you can drive 4 hours, charge while you eat, (most are supposed to be near restaurants also]"

Well, you can't drive 4 hours in my brother's car. On our trip yesterday we drove 202 miles and there was 8 percent battery left, which is about 20 more miles.
So if you are going 70 miles an hour, you can't even drive 3 hours and you have to stop for a 40 minute recharge.

As I showed in the map above, here in North Carolina the charging stations are about 70 miles apart.

I have done quite a bit of long distance travelling, I put about 980,000 miles on the 18 wheeler alone, in the past 10 years. What a pain in the ass it would be to have to stop maybe every 2 1/2 hours for a recharge.

Now, Tesla claims that these vehicles have a 300 mile range but that is way, way off.

If they could get it up to a 400 mile range that would be great. Also, they are installing new charging stations and as those get to be more common that would make long trips more feasible.
Posted By: add Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

Ever seen one Jim?

A Tesla that is, not Liberace with his pants unzipped.
Never seen a Tesla.

Nicloa or otherwise.

Not sure if they are adapted to this area.
Never seen a Tesla.

Nicloa or otherwise.

You need to get out more often?
Never seen a Tesla.

Nicloa or otherwise.

Who is Nicloa, relative of Liberace?
Never seen a Tesla.

Nicloa or otherwise.

Why?

Liberace is long since gone.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Never seen a Tesla.

Nicloa or otherwise.

Who is Nicloa, relative of Liberace?

Back up singer.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Jim;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the sky's a tad clearer on your side of the big hills and all else is as you'd hoped it to be as we wind down the summer.

Strangely enough this summer two of the chaps I was doing some gun plumbing for brought them in Tesla's, one of them a brand new economy model and one a 3 year old returned lease - the S I want to say?

The new one came from the Lower Mainland and said he had to stop part way over the pass coming here to top up the juice. We're roughly 5 hours from the coast here - that's no accidents, avalanches, etc.

The chap with the S insisted I drive it and I'll have to say it's the quickest launch in a factory ride I've ever experienced. They go - period.... was doing 60mph in less than what I figured was 100 yds.

When my good wife picked up a new commuter rig last summer she went with a Toyota Hybrid Rav and while I am cognizant it's neither a Tesla or an EV, it does have a few interesting features.

For starters there's no drive line to the rear - it's all electric - and while we've not taken it rock crawling, when going up a washboard logging road in "trail" mode the thing is impressively smooth. She doesn't think it's as good on really icy roads as her previous car which was a Forester, but so far the Rav has averaged slightly better than 45mpg US.... again not too, too bad.

Oh, when you stand on it, all the gas and electric kicks in and while it won't quite eat my Cummins heading up a pass... well it just might actually, which is sorta saying something again because I've made more than a handful of sporty car drivers pout with that 5.9 Cummins, you know?

Anyways Jim, mostly I've just dropped by to say hello and hope your harvest is a good one in all ways possible.

All the best to you and your fine family.

Dwayne
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
For now, hybrid is the way to go, I am convinced. For passenger and medium SUV use, anyway. Not so much for towing yet. Hybrid gives you the best of both worlds, IMO: electric control, torque and assist, but with the convenience of gasoline refueling.

My folks have a Lexus hybrid, it get's 40mpg around town and 40 on the freeway. What's not to like ?

How much did the American taxpayer add to that $40 grand to get them out the door?
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Buddy's wife has one, never ridden in it but I plan to sometime soon. She uses (or did pre-covid) for a 40 mile commute to Charlotte for her engineering job. Range seems to be their big hurdle to overcome. My buddy is as conservative as they come, quit his job as a HS science and math teacher to goto gunsmithing school. He's a tech guy so I'm sure that was the draw.

I'm not anti E-vehicles but the range on them just isn't practical. I did buy a 2018 Silverado 4x4 with the e-assist after thorough research. It has a block mounted generator that is tied to the serpentine belt and gives a boost to the belt via cab mounted battery for towing and acceleration. It uses regenerative braking to recharge the battery. If not for the $16k off sticker I never would have gotten it but so far over almost 2 years it has been trouble free and I like the feature.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
Interesting thread here. I feel that the future will belong to electric vehicles, someday.... Meanwhile they keep getting better. And some folks keep pointing out their faults. All of this reminded me about hearing stories from senior citizens in the 1950's, who had witnessed the coming of the early gasoline powered cars. Lots of what I now hear about electrics was heard in the early 20th century..... Too expensive, too many problems, they will never catch on, etc. along with the old "my horse is more reliable", and how some folks would yell "Get A Horse ! " at early motorists. I bet that this is just a repeat of history as electric cars improve and come of age.
Posted By: Oakster Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
I am live smack dab in the middle of coal country. The Energy Capital of the nation. That being said, I love the electric technology and cant wait for a reliable electric snowmobile to take into the mountains. The great power, smooth and responsive and quiet. The problem is how to remain light weight, use a big battery and keep it warm in the poor winter conditions.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20

Hahaha. Winner, winner....
I think that you are going to start seeing these highway rescue vehicles, like from AAA, packing a generator that will crank out 220 volts. All Teslas come with a 220 cord, as with my brother's car I just wired up a 220 volt dryer receptacle in his carport. The Tesla cord plugs right in and it charges, one hour gets you about 21 miles of travel.

All Teslas come with a big tv screen right in the middle of the dashboard. No gauges front and center in the middle of the steering wheel like on your Ford. You want GPS you get it on the big tv screen.
You want to adjust your mirrors, you do it on your tv screen. Want to see remaining battery life? TV screen. Want to see your speedometer. It is on the TV screen.
It is the 21st Century, Boys! This ain't a '57 Chevy Bel Air!!

And on your GPS it gives the locations of all the Tesla charging stations.
So, say you are headed to Hickory NC from Asheville and you run out of juice on I 40, ten miles away from the charging station in Hickory.
You call AAA. You are parked on the shoulder of I 40. Now, the tow truck could just load you up and drive you to the charging station.
Or, they could hook you up to their generator. In a 45 minute charge, you would have enough power to get to the charging station.

Or else, they could load up the Tesla, and plug it in to the charger, and drive to the charging station. That way, when they got to the Motel 6 or wherever the charging station is, they roll the Tesla off of the tow truck and he would have enough juice to drive himself over to the charging machine.

There is a saying that, "If you can imagine some thing happening, somebody else has already done it."
And this problem of a Tesla down and out of juice on the shoulder has already happened, many times I am sure.

The Tesla dashboard. This TV screen must be about 16 wide and 12 high. I must say I find it annoying.
All instruments and anything else you want to know, like outside temp, is on this screen.

Also you can run it solely by voice command. You just say, "Tesla, navigate me to Marshall NC" and it does it automatically.

I told the TV screen, "Tesla, give me the winning North Carolina lottery numbers for Tuesday September 15." And TV screen said "I do not understand that command."
It is a female voice on the screen.
I swear, I think the bitch was lying to me.

What is going to be bad, is when you are in the restaurant on the interstate, you are coming out back to your Tesla in a rain storm, of course your Tesla is locked, and you say to the Tesla "Open the pod bay door Hal."

And the Tesla says, "I'm afraid I can't do that for you, Dave."
That is when you know you are in trouble.
Never seen a Tesla.

Nicloa or otherwise.

Why?

Liberace is long since gone.

Yes,

But you might just see a Tesla pass you over a double yellow line.

maybe even a Liberace impersonator?

Driving a Tesla?
I would have to have a more normal looking "dashboard" than that screen simonkenton7.

Having to look to the side to check my instruments would bother the bejeezus out of me. 50 years of looking ahead for everything except the radio instills certain "habits".
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

How much did the American taxpayer add to that $40 grand to get them out the door?

Be interesting to calculate it out on the gallons saved per life of vehicle against the subsidies and tax breaks the taxpayers have given to the oil industry.for the gallons used over the lifetime of an "average" fuel economy vehicle.

it might just shake out to be a close race?
Posted By: comerade Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
They are still burning coal to provide electricity.....Glad to hear for our region. I wonder how it will heat the cab @ -40 f?
Posted By: victoro Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/17/20
"subsidies and tax breaks the taxpayers have given to the oil industry"

Do you know anybody that works in the oil industry?
Posted By: Plumdog Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/18/20
There is no free ride. I googled how much it costs to charge a Tesla...$22.00 for about 250 miles worth or near 9 cents a mile. By comparison, my eco-boost Expedition gets 650 miles on $65.00 worth of gas, or 10 cents per mile. The production of and distribution of electricity is not as efficient as many would presume.
Posted By: horse1 Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by horse1

Formula E........

It's like watching a slot car race.
Run a few laps and change cars. Total joke

He wanted to see electric race cars. Formula E is electric race cars. Not sure where you're getting the slot racing thing. Formula E = 1 car/driver, they've got to finish the race on 1 charge. Races are ~80-100KM total.
Posted By: Dutch Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Plumdog
There is no free ride. I googled how much it costs to charge a Tesla...$22.00 for about 250 miles worth or near 9 cents a mile. By comparison, my eco-boost Expedition gets 650 miles on $65.00 worth of gas, or 10 cents per mile. The production of and distribution of electricity is not as efficient as many would presume.

Nah, the Tesla S long range has a mathematically accommodating battery pack of 100 KWh. At the national residential average of 12.7 c ents per KWh, that’s $12.70 to fully charge.

Even IF we reduce the stated range of 384 miles to your 250 miles, that’s closer to 4 pennies a mile.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by Plumdog

Really ? Seems awful high....
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/18/20
electric cars are really communist sh it. the electric grid is 100 years old and cant handle the load it has now. can you imagine millions of electric cars drawing power. instead of bombing and invading countries for israel US could have upgraded the grid system. the one guy here talking about how far they went but that is the best the new car will do being battery life and range will go down with each recharge. faster charge will mean less battery life. what is never talked about is what about all the road tax on gas which is 52 cents a gallon state and federal that will not be collected. can you imagine what that adds up to in the US just for a day? they will tax our brains out to make up that money
Posted By: Oakster Re: My Brother and the Tesla - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by comerade
They are still burning coal to provide electricity.....Glad to hear for our region. I wonder how it will heat the cab @ -40 f?

Like any other heater.... with a very large power usage that will decrease the miles you can travel.
© 24hourcampfire