Home
So I'm out working in the yard. Tearing apart a raised garden bed. 'Take a load of landscaping logs over to put on an existing pile behind our garage. I'm off loading them from the trailer when I realize I'm being mobbed by some extremely agitated bees. Didn't even realize I had a ground nest there. I made like a hockey player and got the puck out of there. Not a huge deal for most folks. I got stung twice. For me it is an issue as I'm allergic to bee stings. Popped 3 benedryl's, threw my butt in a chair and got some ice on my arm. No reaction, so that's good. First night it hurt, second day I could still feel it, and second night it itched like h3ll. Had my epi pen at the ready just in case.

Man, those little bastids don't like being messed with. Think i'll just wait till it gets cold out and tear that pile apart and get rid of them. I have to wonder how long they'd been in there as I've been working around that wood piile all summer. Our fire ring, garden patch, and clothesline are all nearby. This yard ain't big enough for the both of us, so they're gonna have to go!
I thought you were talking about the people who manufacture diseases for export.
They are a bother for sure. My dad was very allergic to bee stings, instant trip to the ER. So I got to mow the lawn. By the time I was 15 I was functionally immune. No bigger deal than a mosquito bite. About 3 years back I was out mowing the understory in the woods around the house and ran the tractor over a yellow jacket nest. They were indignant to say the least. Tagged me 11 times, one of which was on my nose. That one made my eyes water a bit. 30 minutes later they were all dead.
Posted By: devnull Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
I knew what you were talking about when I saw the title alone. I hate bush hogging this time of the year as it's almost a guarantee you'll get stung b/t late August-October. I have a field that needs to be cut now that I can't bring myself to cut as I know they're out there. When they sting, they take the "desire" out of what you're currently doing at the moment.
I had a small pile of saved lumber I had a fancy for. Found the small yellow devils in them. I got more than a few stings out of getting rid of them. Then I started pulling a couple of boards and spraying them each time. The pile was soon whittled down to nothing and no more stings. They had a really powerful sting for such a little hornet looking devil. I don't play around anymore with them. Iif I find them on my property I get something like mineral spirits and mix in a small bit of paint thinner. Spray the things realllllly well. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: tzone Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
I thought you were talking about packer fans.
Posted By: badger Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
Yellowjackets are nothing but azzholes with wings............
Posted By: gunzo Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
Posted By: jpb Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by badger

Yep, how I think of them too.

[Linked Image from revenantpublications.files.wordpress.com]

John
Posted By: ring3 Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
Mark the entrance. Wait till dusk and pour a couple ounces of gasoline in the hole. Kills all but maybe a few stragglers. I eliminate a couple nests a year this way.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
Been doing my final bush-hogging of the season this week, haven't found them....YET!

Last year on my LAST day/run I found them[or they me], 9 stings. Bastages

Have a bumble bee nest in our yard, they would let me mow over[quickly] with little fuss up until this week.
When I got close the other evening they attacked the push mower.
I'll just weed eat that spot while it's in the 40's Saturday morn.
I've been stung by them many times and it seemed like the times.The worse situation I've ever found myself in was when I climbed up a fuel tank platform to check how much fuel was left in the tank.The platform beside the tank was about 20' off the ground covered with metal grating,the structure was built with I-beam.I got up there,grabbed the measuring stick and was fixing to take the cap off the tank and soon found myself in the middle of a swarm of yellow jackets.A lot of thoughts went through my mind.One was how much pain can I endure after being stung a hundred or so times,before I had to take a leap off the platform,which would be a suicidal move.I was standing right over an 8" dia. nest that had a hundred or so wasp.I froze and waited until they all settled down back on the nest.The platform was about 4'x8' an I was in the corner.After they settled back down,I made a move to the far corner and they flared back up.Once again I froze and waited until they all settled back to the nest.My next move was to the ladder and when I got there I never stopped until I was on the ground.I could not believe it,I never was stung,not once.I guess what saved me was I froze when they swarmed and the fact that I didn't panic.Had I panicked,my outcome would have been way different I'm sure.
Put some 7 dust in some half cooked taco burger and set it on top of the woodpile where the dog can't reach it. Them bastids will carry that burger off to the nest and kill all of em. You'll kill all the nests in the area not just the one in the woodpile.

That would have been a compliment for those drunken mouth breating knuckle draggers, Tom
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Put some 7 dust in some half cooked taco burger and set it on top of the woodpile where the dog can't reach it. Them bastids will carry that burger off to the nest and kill all of em. You'll kill all the nests in the area not just the one in the woodpile.

I'll be giving this a try.
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I'll be giving this a try.

I had some sort of infestation of bugs, maybe aphids?, on a tree in my yard years ago. I had literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of yellow jackets swarming the gravel in the driveway hunting. It was so bad I was afraid to run to the car throught the gauntlet. My friends that came over for a visit wouldn't get out of their car! Something had to be done!

I stepped out the door before daylight with some poison hamburger and didn't even get the door closed behind me when they were all over me. I ran back inside and put on a heavy jacket. I threw the door open and made a dash with the burger. I watched from inside as they swarmed the burger. It was covered with yellow jackets. As they lifted off with small pieces of burger, they went three different directions back to their respective nests. I replenished the burger the next morning before daylight. Within two days they were all gone.
5 years later I saw my first yellow jacket, followed by a couple more that summer. 5 years!

It works, try it. And it's easy. Try not to get too much poison in the meat or they won't like it, but get it well distributed throughout the meat.

*for hunting camp, you can get yourself some relief as well if you plan ahead! You don't have to put up with the bastards!

They are the copperheads of the wasper world. They have a size inferiority complex along with a bad attitude in general.
I found a nest in my daughter’s yard this week, down in a groundhog hole. I tried filling it with dirt, and it was completely empty the next morning. Those little bastards can move quite a bit of material!

At 6:14 this morning, they got to drink 5 gallons of scalding water with dishwashing liquid in it. There’s been zero activity since.

I do like the poisoned hamburger idea, though. My hope is that I’ll never have to try it, because the sons of bitches don’t come back.

FC
We battle those little bastids every year from early spring to late fall. They get so bad you can’t work outside unless keep on them. I build a ring of traps around the house, then keep after the above ground nests.
I have had to abandon a tractor quite a few times. Daddy didn’t leave me enough ‘ranch money’ to get an cab trat-ter. smile

That being said, thank God I’m not allergic to bees, wasps or peanut butter. 👍

This time of year seems to be bad. I think they sense fall and cold weather is coming and they get aggressive. But if I find the nest, they will be gone!
A few years ago we had an unexpected snow in the high country during an archery elk hunt. As I was still hunting through the timber I came across a pile of bees in the snow that apparently didn't get the weather forecast right either. Short of conjuring up a snowstorm, just poison them, you'll be glad you did.
Glad yer ok. Bees can be bad news. I had a friend get swarmed by African Bees while he was rock climbing in Heuco Tanks. He was stung dozens of times and was lucky to survive. He spent a while in the hospital recovering.
I use wasp spray that sprays about 15 feet or so, kinda looks like foam. Had a nest under a boxwood that was as big as a basketball when I dug it up. I walk the yard in the summer with a can of that wasp spray, any suspicious looking wasp activity gets doused thoroughly.

Nasty bastards....
Originally Posted by tzone

Tzone, that was low. About that Viking game last weekend and in your own stadium. Oh, the shame.
About the ground wasps. They are getting ornery now that it is getting cold because they know their number is up pretty soon. Best thing I ever did to get rid of a bunch was to position my electric bug zapper right over their hole. Snap, crackle and pop and in a couple of days I got every single one of them including the bigger queen that came out to see what was going on. Very sadistically satisfying.
Originally Posted by Windfall
Originally Posted by tzone

Tzone, that was low. About that Viking game last weekend and in your own stadium. Oh, the shame.
About the ground wasps. They are getting ornery now that it is getting cold because they know their number is up pretty soon. Best thing I ever did to get rid of a bunch was to position my electric bug zapper right over their hole. Snap, crackle and pop and in a couple of days I got every single one of them including the bigger queen that came out to see what was going on. Very sadistically satisfying.

Now that's funny! Good plan.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

They are the copperheads of the wasper world. They have a size inferiority complex along with a bad attitude in general.

That's a fact! I'm allergic to the little bastards too. The thing about them is you don't have to bother them, they'll come looking for a fight.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/17/20
yep these little yellow bastards got me again this fall about 8-10 stung me then a poisoned them.

One of your better posts.
No big deal.

Find where the nest is. Go to any hardware store and get some of the poison that sprays at a distance.

Wait until night. They don't fly at night.

If it's the hornets that live in the ground, spray liberally into the hole. if it's the wasps that build nests in trees. saturate the nest.

Next day no more problem.
Best time to kill them is at night.All of them are on the nest and they won't fly and attack you.
I hate those little suckers. One nailed me on the knuckle of my hand while I was standing about 15’ away from an underground nest by our foundation, trying to figure out exactly where the entrance was. Later on, when it cooled down they paid for it.

I saw a video somewhere (maybe here) of a guy was using a little gasoline to get rid of either a nest or possibly a mole. A spark lit it off and lifted about half of his little patio area about a foot in the air. 😳
what kind of poison is mixed with the chop meat? does it have to be raw or cooked
The Sawyer Extractor works best for bee sting IMHO.
Every sting that I sucked out with the extractor device removed enough poison to keep me from anaphylaxis.

Same with a bunch of kids with yellow jacket stings near the pool. Every councilor was issued one. Lots of allergies, but no hospital visits necessary.
Cheaper than an epi pen at <$20.
Keep yhe pens in case of course. A swarm of multiple stings would be impossible to get to them all in time, but may help.
We talk about meetings with grizzlies and rattlesnakes here, but far more people die from bee/wasp stings than any snake. I'd choose my caliber wisely and get a buddy or family to help since you're allergic.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Every sting that I sucked out with the extractor device removed enough poison to keep me from anaphylaxis.

Same with a bunch of kids with yellow jacket stings near the pool. Every councilor was issued one. Lots of allergies, but no hospital visits necessary.
Keep yhe pens in case of course. A swarm of multiple stings would be impossible to get to them all in time, but may help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It's that time of the year. Lot's of folks getting ready for deer season and lot's of folks finding yellow jacket nests. The little sum beaches take exception to being stepped on. When I find one in my yard I crank up the old push mower and put it right on top of their entrance hole. Every one of them comes out to see whazzup and wind up getting pureed. Gasoline poured directly into the hole at night works wonders as well.

Brings a smile to my face when I find a nest that has been dug up by a fox or skunk, them is some tough critters to do that and then eat the little bastids while being swarmed.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Thanks!
I'm going to have to learn how to post pics.

Thanks!
I'm going to have to learn how to post pics.

No prob
No prob

There must be a preview button somewhere to make sure that embarrassing personal pics don't accidentally get posted.
Posted By: devnull Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/18/20
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Best time to kill them is at night.All of them are on the nest and they won't fly and attack you.

They don't fly until you mess with them....Father-in-law and I found a nest while cutting. Went back at night with gas to pour down the hole. While standing over the hole, they came out the "other" hole and started nailing us. They do fly at night if provoked.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Them little yellow bastids - 09/18/20
Stung by wasps, bumbles, honey and hornets.

Seem to be allergic to yellowjackets.
Hives all over for a month after one bounced off my jeep mirror and tagged me on the side.

Itch at site only. No big deal
Throat a little tight couple hrs.
Then some hives.

Went to ER for the synth adrenaline.... no waiting.

Hives worsened and went to GP a couple days later. Steroid and hives gone. Not supposed to work that fast.
Came back and took a month to stop.

4% of people that have an allergic reaction will have it last a year. From the one incident.

4% of them.....lifetime.

Doc thought i might have been the latter, he was pretty upset ( family doc ).

Lucky it was just a month..... no sleep for first 2 weeks. Didnt miss work either. Pretty fuggin horrible.

Been stung twice since.....benadryl w epi pen at the ready.
Feel like chit for a couple days. That all.

Cleaning geese in early season, little bastards buzz between fingers telling you to back off their eating.
Icewater in my viens.

But the 5th time you just say fugg it and finish.
Never been stung while cleaning geese LOL

© 24hourcampfire