Home
Posted By: tikkanut Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20

My thoughts......Graf's..ordered Sept 8th....small $100 in stock order....

Midway USA...3 orders after that...one BO'd (9mm dies) got them today

The other two in stock Midway orders were shipped same or next day & received already (Smart Post)

Yes received confirmation e mail from Graf's......but crickets since...yep 14 days tomorrow...

Again in stock items......one single pistol die & some 20 cal bullets.....not powder/primers

Are they really that busy......short on staffing......?

All I can say is 'Go Larry'
Posted By: rlott Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
Optics Planet will say "in stock" but it isn't. Ordered an "in stock" buffer kit in July, cancelled the order last week.

I've had good luck with Graf's in the past but they're probably getting pinched like everyone else.

The good news is it appears that Americans are gunned up to the hilt.
Posted By: MMM Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
Yes Larry is kind of a dork but even during all the craziness they have shipped out my orders in a reasonable time.

I quit using Graf's and Optics Planet years ago, as noted above Optics Planet will take your order and have you enter your cc info, then the next day or two you get an email saying we don't have that. Graf's does the same thing, but at least it's the courtesy of a phone call, I have let them know that's pretty frustrating, you get that sweet midwestern apology.

I will continue to deal with the ones who are honest about what they have in stock and can get it out timely.

Grafs is pretty backed up right now I guess. I ordered and after 12 days I called and asked if it had shipped, “no it has not.” I asked if I could add one small item I forgot and I was told I had to cancel, reorder, and then it would be 2-3 more weeks.

I ordered from Midway Tuesday and received my order on Thursday.

I’ll still use both companies, Grafs is just a touch slow right now.
Midsouth Shooters Supply.
Posted By: papat Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
Grafs for me. Larry does have more stuff. Grafs always been good
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20

I've bought off all three mentioned.........

Larry just does it better.....

free shipping days on $49+ orders too...about every 4-5 days.......
Both first rate, IME. No VS about it. Yes, companies are short-handed. Imagine trying to hire decent folks to work at warehouse rates. Lucky we get anything. I'll shamelessly plug Powder Valley and Midsouth and Primary Arms, PSA, and SG Ammo too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
Last order from Midway was shipped on time, the USPS delivered it on time, and I was a happy dude.

I'm getting po'd with Costco.com lately. It's fuggin 2020 right? After I login, they have my zip code, so I sort of expect to be able to order what shows on a webpage. NO such luck, see an item I want, add it to the cart, go to check out, message "this item is not available to be shipped to your zipcode" OK, then why the heck do I get to see it on the shopping pages. It's not like there stuff all comes in one box, from one place, at least not to me ever. So send me the goodies from the warehouse it is available from.

Haven't dealt with Graf's lately. Month or so back, got an order from Natchez that went relatively smoothly though.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
As I recall Grafs had trouble last time there was a big shortage.

No problem, I like them. I'm patient.

Planned ahead. Not hurting for anything in particular and I do a lot of shooting. I've no issue with Midway either, good grief - I remember ordering from them decades ago. Still do time to time.

Regards, Guy

well the 20 cal p/dog boolits I ordered were $11/100

Speer 39 grain TNT's

Man..........these things totally destroy a p/dog from my 20-222 @ 3700 fps
Posted By: Terryk Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
I placed a big bulk bullet order (cal22 68s) a few months ago, and they shipped pretty quick in this silliness. Price was very good. No tracking or notice, they just showed up.
I think that is OK.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
Graf's has always been good to me, cheaper shipping as well. (at least used to be) Midway has been good as well, but usually more money. Optics Planet I avoid. Cameraland has been very good. I have used Natchez on occasion, also no issues.
I have a list of places to shop. Some carry more stuff than others. I want to know I got the best deal, of which shipping is definitely part of the equation. I like Midway.
Graf is cheaper.....Midway is faster.

Mr Obvious stuff.

Cameraland

hats off to Doug

he does a good job !
Posted By: Gus Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/21/20
just a few days to receive a triggertech trigger from midway. as cheap as anywhere. delivered by snail mail very quickly. was in the mailbox saturday.

i don't know that they are the cheapest, but they've been dependable.

free shipping from Graf's or Midsouth ?

Has it ever happened ?

Ive gotten free shipping from Grafs after $100 orders or after submitting a review.
Graf's may be experiencing problems at the moment, but over the long run has been a fine merchant. Don't write em off and let Midway become our Walmart for shooting, reloading and hunting. Or worse yet, Cabela's.
I will take Graf's everyday of the week. Flat rate shipping, prices always seem lower than Midway.

I pretty much gave up on Midway over 5 years ago, crappy service, long story. I do compare prices and think I have only ordered once from Midway in the last 5 years.

Midway is about one step above the NFL in my book.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Never had problems with either Grafs or Midway. Just put in an order to Grafs for some in stock bullets last night. Web site says they are running 10 -14 business day delay on stuff and 14 business days on powder. Good thing I'm not in a rush but the way things have been I'm probably lucky they even had them in stock.
Posted By: Deans Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Just bought some powder from Midway. Took advantage of the free shipping. No complaints.
For me, Midway is the firearms equivalent of Amazon. They have a broad selection. Prices are generally reasonable. Their website makes it easy to buy stuff. And stuff generally shows up in a timely manner.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Graf's takes my C&R FFL as a dealer license and virtually everything is cheaper for me there. I can wait.
I buy from both as well as others and sometimes they have problems.

At the same time they have shipped on time and product was great.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
For those of us that know both the owners, Grafs and Midway, it's pretty clear that Grafs has the confidence of the general public much more than Midway. I was in Graf's retail store this afternoon looking for some Reloader 26 and they were sold out. The shelves in the store are as bare as I've ever seen them. Even the handgun selection was sparse. As far as I know the general public is not welcome at Midway but we are at Grafs.
Posted By: EdM Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Originally Posted by Jim1611
For those of us that know both the owners, Grafs and Midway, it's pretty clear that Grafs has the confidence of the general public much more than Midway. I was in Graf's retail store this afternoon looking for some Reloader 26 and they were sold out. The shelves in the store are as bare as I've ever seen them. Even the handgun selection was sparse. As far as I know the general public is not welcome at Midway but we are at Grafs.

Irrelevant for 99% of eithers customers that buy mail order.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

free shipping from Graf's or Midsouth ?

Has it ever happened ?

From Grafs after submitting a review. I believe they're a much smaller outfit than Midway.
Originally Posted by EdM

Midway allows pickup, with MO sales tax but don't have a retail location. Room to get in there with a tractor trailer rig too!
No powder pick up btw. It's at another facility.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Originally Posted by tikkanut

well the 20 cal p/dog boolits I ordered were $11/100

Speer 39 grain TNT's

Man..........these things totally destroy a p/dog from my 20-222 @ 3700 fps

Thanks... This is the one useful piece of info out of this thread////

Thanks Tikka...
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by EdM

Midway allows pickup, with MO sales tax but don't have a retail location. Room to get in there with a tractor trailer rig too!

I'm not sure you can pick up at this time, at Midway.
Posted By: skeen Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
Originally Posted by Orion2000
For me, Midway is the firearms equivalent of Amazon. They have a broad selection. Prices are generally reasonable. Their website makes it easy to buy stuff. And stuff generally shows up in a timely manner.

This.
MidwayUSA for me has been an excellent company that I routinely use. Always thought Larry seems like a good guy.

I’ll continue using MidwayUSA.
Posted By: shaman Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
It's probably as simple as Grafs doesn't have the dough or the inclination to hire extra bodies. If you hire someone, even a temp, they're going to need training. That costs. If the crunch is expected to be short term, they may decide to take the hit on fulfillment rather than hire and lay off at the end of the boom.

I worked for a company that went through this. Mgt went from guaranteed fulfillment in 24 hours on all orders(which they were not hitting anyway) to 2-tiers. Regular shipments were fulfilled as they could be handled (usually 2-3 day fullfillment). If a distributor wanted faster they could get 1-day turnaround for an extra charge. Our distributors ate that up, because 90% of our stuff was not ordered to fill immediate needs anyway.
I ordered on the 3rd and it arrived yesterday the 21st, order was complete, and within the estimated time for delivery.
Grafs gets most of my needs filled at a decent price. Could be faster,but at least they have what I want.
Graf's for me. Fairest shipping in the business, good prices. A few years ago, Mr Potterfields little helpers decided I needed more documentation for my business discount. They already had an FFL, a state tax resale number a Fed IRS TPIN. They HAD to have a local business license copy. Well I reside in the rural county. The county does not issue business licenses, they want to have people like me purchase a City (county seat) business license, which I informed Potterfield's little dwarfs of, I also told them that I didn't want to buy a business license in a city 38 miles distant. Nope, when the dwarves speak...customers tremble to obey. Potterfield can kiss my disgusting white wrinkled antique ass.
Posted By: JGray Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
I order from Midway, Grafs and Midsouth. Midway has always been the fastest shipping in my experience. I do prefer ordering component bullets and brass from Grafs and most everything else comes from Midway. I use Midsouth if they have what I'm looking for and the others are out of stock.
I've used Natchez, Midsouth Shooters, Grafs, MidwayUSA and Cabela's over the years for online orders and have been happy with all of them. I've used MidwayUSA the most by far though because they had the best website most easily navigated. I recently made an order the first week of Aug and promptly cancelled it when I saw the expected delivery date of 9/3. Maybe they would have beat that delivery date substantially, but I took them at their word it would take 3 weeks and wasn't going to wait that long. None of the items were listed as out of stock or backorder.

Midway has made changes to their website that I don't care for. I think their website has gone backwards when it comes to quickly filtering searches for items. IMO, the website was better ten years ago than it is today in that regard.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm not sure you can pick up at this time, at Midway.

Fugging Kungflu!

#neverforget
Posted By: Hudge Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/22/20
I’ve never had an issue with Midway USA or Grafs. Optics Planet on the other hand, I’ll never order from again. What’s funny, the DVOR side of OP, never had an issue.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Graf & Sons VS Midway USA - 09/23/20
I have bought from both and happy with both. I look at Grafs first because they have been cheaper for the things I wanted.
© 24hourcampfire