Home
Posted By: gophergunner Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
My son is joining the Air Force and ships out for Basic Training on December 8th. He's mulled this over for some time, and decided to make the Air Force a career. He tested out very high on his ASVAB and took the test to be a Cryptic Linguist. It was a very tough test, and he passed it. From what we've been told this is a really tough specialty to get into. He'll go to his advanced training and start learning what ever language he's assigned to. He's had a really tough time in a very tight job market down in the Indianopolis area, so this is his choice. Of course we are supporting him whole heartedly, and at the same time are concerned for his well being, and that of his family. He has a wife, a 3 year old daughter, and a 1 year old son. We will go to visit with him right after Thanksgiving before he ships out. My wife will be going back down to spend some time with his wife helping her with the kids. Big changes for all of us for sure.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
smile
Posted By: tater74 Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Thank him for his service. Middle son was in the USAF. Loved it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Congrats Jeff, and best of luck in the AF Career of his choice...
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Congrats! You raised quite a man.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
We're learning about this as we go here. We hope to be able to attend his graduation ceremonies from basic and advanced training. I'd like to get him a good, high quality book on the history of the air force. Can anyone suggest a good candidate for this?

I have a special gift to give him when he graduates his advanced training. Dad was a member of Patton's 3rd Army during WWII. On one of his invasions, his area was straffed and bombed by Ju-87 Stukas. Dad hopped on a .50 cal mounted on a half track and fired every round he could get his hands on at the Stukas. He said you could have walked across the tracer fire they put up, and the Stukas flew right through it. They managed to shoot one down-no idea who actually got it, but when things died down Dad went and found the wreck and pulled an intact tail light beacon off the wreakage. I'm going to give that to my son when he graduates his advanced training. I sure wish Dad could be here to shake his hand and trade salutes with him. I also have a flag which was given to me by my pastor. It had draped his father's coffin when he passed away. He had been a member of the Navy. He wanted Eric to have it.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Our Country needs bright young people like never before. I appreciate his decision and thank him for his commitment to service. You did good raising him!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Congratulations, and a big thanks for his service!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Congrats, should be a great start to a long career.
Posted By: g5m Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Good for you!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Our Country needs bright young people like never before. I appreciate his decision and thank him for his commitment to service. You did good raising him!

This ^^^

kwg
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Thanks for the support folks. I'll make sure he sees these comments.
Posted By: fester Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
👍🏻

Spook! Lol
Good job!

He will have fun!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Congrats. Sounds like you raised him right
Neat story about the Stuka tail light.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Congrats Gophergunner, I know the feeling. My youngest son just finished basic for the Coast Guard last Friday. They promoted him out of basic to an E3 based on his performance in basic. He's now assigned to a Cutter in Pensacola. Graduation was closed b/c of Covid, but we are heading out to see him shortly before his cutter gets underway.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Proud pappa here - 09/22/20
Armed forces needs American Patriots now more than ever.

Well done.
© 24hourcampfire