Home
Posted By: KFWA Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
I'm probably not telling alot of guys on here anything they don't already know but I've been experimenting in cooking pot roast for the last 8 months or so and I think I have it dialed in now.

This is the recipe - a good marbled roast,put it in the crock pot, season it with lowrys on both sides, then add this
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

then throw in a bag of either frozen stew vegetables or italian mix vegetables, I prefer italian, and a can of small whole potatoes.

add about 2 cups of water and cook on low for about 6 hours, then turn to keep warm until you're ready to serve

damn, that makes a good pot roast, and the gravy or whatever you call it is like au jus - just dip a hard roll in it. I often just have bread and the gravy the next day for lunch.

also tonight my wife made fish tacos.We got some fresh salmon, cooked it in a mexican seasoning sauce, and she made a fish sauce out of buttermilk, ranch, jalapeno and a couple of other things, cut up cilantro, red cabbage, chives and throw in some cotija cheese

that was the best fish taco I've ever had - and I've eaten them in San Diego and Pasadena before. good stuff
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
red potatos
Posted By: EdM Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
For my wife and I it is just a well made quality meat beef burger, grilled with our choice of cheese and seasoning. We really can't eat steak anymore.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Sounds good. I'll look for that seasoning.

One of my simple but good eats is very simple. I buy some refried beans and tortillas. Heat the beans in a pan on the stove, roll them up in the tortillas,.then sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on them and microwave until the cheese melts.

Get them out, add sour cream and taco sauce.

Well prepared bean burritos are good stuff.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Pear, peach, apple, deer, elk....
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
If the only meat I could ever have again was one, it would be burger. I like a good burger, casserole, chili, or spaghetti sauce as well as a steak, anyway. And to never have smoked meatloaf again? Hell with that!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
I do this but without the peppers, add boiled new potatoes from the can and peeled baby carrots and a can or two of cream of mushroom soup.

https://www.thecountrycook.net/crock-pot-mississippi-pot-roast

It will change your world.

P
Posted By: slumlord Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Hamburger Helper

That stuff’s good even without the meat
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
My Mom’s pot road is outstanding! I always bribe her for a pot roast in return for a hard days work around her house. She always browns both sides in a cast iron pan, then slow cooks it all day. She always adds a can of beer to it while it is slow cooking.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
I'm still trying to get over the idea of using canned vegetables in a pot roast -- and then we go to canned POTATOES? CANNED POTATOES? CANNED?

I don't even know who you people are anymore.....

Edited to add: I put a roast in the marinade last Sunday, for Sauerbraten dinner upcoming Sunday. And that's rushing the recipe.....

Canned potatoes.... pffft.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Couple of "new" potatoes (Modoc reds) from the garden, a squash of the acorn variety, two cloves of roasted garlic, some milk and butter, mash 'em all up.

Spoon em in a bowl, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, and some shredded Parmesan and Romano cheese mix on 'em.

Simple dinner last night.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Man, I ain’t a food snob.

Packet of seasoning? Cool.
Frozen veg? Well, ok if you don’t have any in the fridge.

Canned potatoes? WTF?

Lol.
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm still trying to get over the idea of using canned vegetables in a pot roast -- and then we go to canned POTATOES? CANNED POTATOES? CANNED?

Edited to add: I put a roast in the marinade last Sunday, for Sauerbraten dinner upcoming Sunday. And that's rushing the recipe.....

Canned potatoes.... pffft.

Hah!

I used to love those canned new 'taters Dutch, take them camping, slice 'em up and fry them until brown in the bacon grease, have them with my eggs and bacon.

Now that I grow my own taters, I get new 'taters right out of the ground. Not a can anymore.
Posted By: ribka Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Couple of "new" potatoes (Modoc reds) from the garden, a squash of the acorn variety, two cloves of roasted garlic, some milk and butter, mash 'em all up.

Spoon em in a bowl, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, and some shredded Parmesan and Romano cheese mix on 'em.

Simple dinner last night.

Fav of mine too
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Navajo Tacos, or fry bread with honey.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
The old classic beef roast with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and dry Lipton onion soup in a slow cooker is #1 in my book. Follow the recipe on the can and/or box, add your veggies, and it'll all be gone before you know it.

Bonus food - back when I was a kid my mother would make "pennies & potatoes", which is just hot dog slices and diced potato done in a skillet with a little salt, pepper and garlic. Butter or olive oil, whatever you've got. Crushed red pepper if you're in the mood. Great cheap food.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20

For me it's my wife's pot roast.

2 - 3 lb whole chuck roast with a little fat in it, rolled in salt and pepper seasoned flour, carrots, onion, whole potatoes, stalk or two of celery, Worcestershire sauce, cooked in covered electric skillet until tender.

Leftovers make a delicious vegetable soup with a can or bag of frozen mixed veggies, sweet corn and cut okra added.
Hamburg/rice/brown gravy.

All sloppily mixed together.

Lots of black pepper on it.

Yum
Posted By: Higginez Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Just had some jalapeno/cheddar wild pig brats with Beaver Deli Mustard that were legit.

Probably even make a turd.

Yum

Couple fried eggs on top. Runny.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20

I used to love those canned new 'taters Dutch, take them camping, slice 'em up and fry them until brown in the bacon grease, have them with my eggs and bacon.

Now that I grow my own taters, I get new 'taters right out of the ground. Not a can anymore.

Camping food gets an exemption from the food police.......

Isn't it amazing how much better real food tastes, though? Had dinner with some friends the other day, and they mentioned they stopped eating fish after I gave them some bass a couple of months ago. Turns out I turned them into fish snobs........ But that's ok, there's fresh 'maters on my counter they dropped off, and I didn't have to do any gardening! Going to see what a couple of catfish will turn into this weekend . I've heard rumors of heritage Sicilian garlic! wink
Posted By: Morewood Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by kragman1
The old classic beef roast with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and dry Lipton onion soup in a slow cooker is #1 in my book.

Finally, a voice of reason.

Can't say I've ever had canned potatoes. WTF.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yum

Couple fried eggs on top. Runny.

runny eggs?

is there any other kind?

not for me if it can be avoided.

Unless hard boiled and pickled maybe
Homegrown Tennessee tater suck

Never bigger than a golf ball and have worm holes bored all the way through.

Isn't it amazing how much better real food tastes, though? Had dinner with some friends the other day, and they mentioned they stopped eating fish after I gave them some bass a couple of months ago. Turns out I turned them into fish snobs........ But that's ok, there's fresh 'maters on my counter they dropped off, and I didn't have to do any gardening! Going to see what a couple of catfish will turn into this weekend . I've heard rumors of heritage Sicilian garlic! wink

Camping food? Get back near dark while hunting. Time for a can of Healthy Choice chicken soup and a Safeway bagel and some water. Gourmet scheidt for sure.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Marbled boneless chuck roast in the crock pot. Add can of onion soup, two cans of beef broth and a packet of ah jus mix. Slow cook for 6-8 hours, gender flaky flavorful meat. Optional, add red.potatoes and sliced carrot halves, or make red potato mashed potatoes separately. Eats like candy, have to force myself to stop! Then sandwiches the next couple of days.

Grandma would always cook a venison roast with a pork roast, and the combination was just right. Slopping gravy with her homemade bread, and rhubarb pie or sauce for dessert. Us grandkids would steal the sugar bowl, take it out to the rhubarb patch and th I the rhubarb end in the sugar bowl. I miss the farm cooking.
Bama jam on white bread,

Peanut butter for added complicated factor....

*has to be crunchy
Creamy peanut is for queers

Originally Posted by slumlord
Homegrown Tennessee tater suck

Never bigger than a golf ball and have worm holes bored all the way through.

Wonder why that is?

Doesn't get cold enough?

Tater harvest for me in the next few days, I almost can't wait after seeing the few I've pulled out of the straw on top.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm probably not telling alot of guys on here anything they don't already know but I've been experimenting in cooking pot roast for the last 8 months or so and I think I have it dialed in now.

This is the recipe - a good marbled roast,put it in the crock pot, season it with lowrys on both sides, then add this
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

then throw in a bag of either frozen stew vegetables or italian mix vegetables, I prefer italian, and a can of small whole potatoes.

add about 2 cups of water and cook on low for about 6 hours, then turn to keep warm until you're ready to serve

damn, that makes a good pot roast, and the gravy or whatever you call it is like au jus - just dip a hard roll in it. I often just have bread and the gravy the next day for lunch.

also tonight my wife made fish tacos.We got some fresh salmon, cooked it in a mexican seasoning sauce, and she made a fish sauce out of buttermilk, ranch, jalapeno and a couple of other things, cut up cilantro, red cabbage, chives and throw in some cotija cheese

that was the best fish taco I've ever had - and I've eaten them in San Diego and Pasadena before. good stuff

Sounds great!

Uh .....hey.....Uh whats your wife look like, bro?
Originally Posted by slumlord
Bama jam on white bread,

Peanut butter for added complicated factor....

*has to be crunchy
Creamy peanut is for queers

Agree . crunchy is mo betta
A baked sweet potato with butter is pretty darn tasty
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20

It is. Just recently while visiting adopted family in Fairbanks we harvested everything out of their garden and raised beds which included lots of carrots and about a half bucket of potatoes, both red and white. A pot roast was tossed into a pressure cooker along with potatos and carrots less than 2 hours out of the ground. It was the best meal I've had in quite a while.

After catching and processing my own halibut and salmon, I will not ever buy it again. My halibut goes from ocean to vacuum bags to freezer within just a few hours at the most, skinless and with all the dark meat trimmed off and candled for parasites. There's no comparison to the garbage from the store. Salmon are either skinless, boneless and in jars within 24 hours or hanging in the smokehouse.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
never knew I'd strike a nerve with canned potatoes

yea, I know - fresh are better but these are just the right size for crock pot and I don't eat fresh ones enough to keep them fresh. Whenever I want fresh potatoes, I go out to the bin and they either have eyes growing out of them 7 inches long or they are a black mush

if you Gordon Ramsay's want fresh potatoes in your crock pot, I ain't gonna stand in your way.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
The old classic beef roast with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup and dry Lipton onion soup in a slow cooker

Ruined more meals than anything else that I know of. Used universally in Arkansas Restaurants, I think. miles
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
we do all kinds of fast meals.

a beef ,deer,bear roast with nothing steak seasoning and french onion soup cooked all day in the crockpot is hard to beat. sometimes we add carrots and taters(mostly canned)sometimes we chop it up and eat it over toast.

we cook chicken in the crockpot,parts or whole bird,yesterday i fixed whole bird and redskin instant mashed taters and bag white gravy.

we eat those pre- marinated small pork loins fixed in the crockpot .

quick meals are my thing

wife likes chip beef gravy over toast and hash brown potatoes

we also eat all kind of sandwiches. in like pimento cheese,bacon and a good garden tomato on toast
Posted By: killerv Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
been doing some chicken n dumplins lately, family scarfs it up

bring two boxes of chicken stock to a soft boil, add a little salt/pepper. Break the premade frozen dumplin in half and put in one at a time, let soft boil for about 30min

when they are about ready, add a little cornstarch and water mix and break down a grocery store rotisserie chicken and put it in for about 15min, done.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Salmon in tacos..? Whisky Tango Foxtrot! I enjoy salmon, but it'd never be in a taco.

As far as simple/good eatin': Rykrisp, good cheese, sardine, sriracha. One can swap a good salami or other deli meat if you don't like the little fish.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by EdM
For my wife and I it is just a well made quality meat beef burger, grilled with our choice of cheese and seasoning. We really can't eat steak anymore.

my fav is making smash burgers

the bun is important though

Posted By: KFWA Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Salmon in tacos..? Whisky Tango Foxtrot! I enjoy salmon, but it'd never be in a taco.

As far as simple/good eatin': Rykrisp, good cheese, sardine, sriracha. One can swap a good salami or other deli meat if you don't like the little fish.

we eat alot of Salmon, mostly grilled or broiled in lemon, but this was very good

Y'all would have loved my quesadillas with two kinds of cheese, Anaheim peppers, roasted garlic, Salsa Bufalo chipotle, and......................

sardines!
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by EdM

my fav is making smash burgers

the bun is important though

Them burgers are too thin to be able to be cooked rare though.

And tell that dude to do a better job getting the BlackJack Roof cement off his burger flipper.

Y'all would have loved my quesadillas with two kinds of cheese, Anaheim peppers, roasted garlic, Salsa Bufalo chipotle, and......................

sardines!

You can’t beat sardines. $.99 and healthy
Posted By: aalf Re: Simple but good eats - 09/24/20
© 24hourcampfire