Home
Posted By: wabigoon Used Oil? - 09/25/20
What do you do with it?

We either use it to lube roller chins, or burn it with trash.

It'd be good to have a burner for heating.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Put it on the driveway to keep down the dust. smile
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I no longer change my own - but I'm not a farmer with heavy machinery, either. One used to be able to drop off containers of used oil at any Jiffy Lube or similar place.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Burning brush piles.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I take mine to an auto parts store nearby that recycles it. Just walk in and dump it in a big vat.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I put it on the gravel road that runs in front of my home.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Use it to get piled brush to burn. Always have plenty of blowdown stuff to get burned.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
pour it in hole in the back yard.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I burn used oil in my older Ford diesel trucks, backhoe and J D 466.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I give it to a friend who has a waste oil heater.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Several things.

I use a mop to apply used oil to my wood deck trailers.

I apply it to the underside and wing hinges of my shredders in the off season.

Use to burn brush piles.

Apply to wood cattle corral posts and chute.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Ha!, a fellow told ne he drove a Mercury Metier to collage that leaked so so bad, he put in the drained oil from his father's tractors.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I run it through my saw for bar and chain oil.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I run it through my saw for bar and chain oil.

Too thin for mine.

I use a thick bar oil.
Posted By: WAM Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Mix with diesel for getting brush piles going or recycle at waste transfer station.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ha!, a fellow told ne he drove a Mercury Metier to collage that leaked so so bad, he put in the drained oil from his father's tractors.

I had a pickup that I used on the farm that got to using oil. It was in a busy part of the year, and I just didn't have the time to do anything about it. So, I got to putting in a quart or two of used tractor oil every week. I figured it would quit on me, and then I'd have to find the time to fix it. Darn think just kept on running.

I have two old fuel tanks that I dump oil in. One is a 300 gallon tank, the other a 125 gallon. The 125 one is full, and the other is probably half full. I use burnt oil for a number of things, but am hoping a guy who heats his shop with used motor oil will find a way to come get mine.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Pour all 6 qts of it in the trash can to kill maggots.
And goes to the dump to return to it's natural state in the ground.
Firm beleiver in recycling...
Posted By: tburkepa Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
We use ours to oil chains on equipment and have a pail set up to oil the stable cleaner chain in the barn while running it. Will maybe use it on the wood floor of hay wagons before putting them up for the winter.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Brush piles and soak into a few crossties we have as barriers.

With excess I give to my stepfather, he has a drip feeder for it on his woodstove in shop.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20

Local Walmart takes mine.........

Or an auto parts store that burns it for heat
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Put it on the driveway to keep down the dust. smile
Thereby returning it to the ground from whence it came.
Posted By: Steve Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Burning brush piles.

^^^this^^^
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Several things.

Use to burn brush piles.

Do you thin with diesel or just slather it on?

I’ll spray straight diesel on my boards on trailers.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Burning brush piles.

Helps to get the tires to burnin
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Excellent for DNA mitigation...
Posted By: EdM Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by RJY66
I take mine to an auto parts store nearby that recycles it. Just walk in and dump it in a big vat.

This.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Put it in a plastic milk jug marked "Used Motor Oil" and leave it out by the garbage bin, they come by and pick it up. What they do with it after that I do not know.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Several things.

Use to burn brush piles.

I got two wood deck trailers that sit outside, I've been thinking about treating them with diesel now I'm wondering if the used oil might be as good and its free or at least paid for. Maybe a cheap paint roller?
Posted By: crshelton Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Thereby returning it to the ground from whence it came. Me too!

Pour along weedy fence line to kill unwanted vegetation.
Several things.

Use to burn brush piles.

I don't thin it.

Usually, I use hydraulic oil on the trailers though. It can be thin enough. Seems to be all soaked in within 2 days.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by Steve
Burning brush piles.

^^^this^^^

Burning brush piles.

Helps to get the tires to burnin

It's true. We've had 2 days of rain and I'll be starting 2 big brush piles tomorrow...only one of them has a tire in it though.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Drop it off at an auto parts store.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I don't produce that much. What I do come up with, I "recant" into empty bottles and take it up to the car dealer and they dump it into their waste barrel that is picked up and recycled.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Mine goes to a 55 gallon drum. When Its full, I'll pull off 5 gallons at a time to hit the parts stores and walmarts with.

In high school and college, the farmer I worked for had a 500 gallon tank of used oil from tractors, trucks, combines. When it was full he'd call a truck to haul it off. In the meantime, we'd use it on wooden truck and trailer beds, bridge timbers, and his big scale with wooden timbers. We'd brush/roll it on twice a year. Usually a coat on one day, and a second coat on the following day.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
We have a recycle reservoir at our ‘dump stations’

Only prob is the troll that works there is a total ass if you bring more than a few quarts at a time.

I saved about 8 or 9 gallons worth in the shop over a couple years and then made one trip. The old capillary nose red face fugg says I must be doing changes as a ‘business’ to be hauling that much up at one time. Couldnt reason with him that i was just saving myself multiple trips.

I called the landfill director and told him about his employee, also reminded him that I got license plate numbers of other landfill personnel taking their county trucks to ball games after hours, shopping a Rural King during work hours. Magnetic door decals removed and placed in the cab upside down.

I put the quarts in a trash bag in toss em in the compactor and just smile and wave at the toe less diabetic loudmouth. I hooked em up with several gallons of paint too inside of some black trash bags.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Several things.

Use to burn brush piles.

I got two wood deck trailers that sit outside, I've been thinking about treating them with diesel now I'm wondering if the used oil might be as good and its free or at least paid for. Maybe a cheap paint roller?

Thats what I do... cut it with trans fluid and a paint roller to the wood decks.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Maybe put it into the tractor tires for needed weight - cheaper than that chem solution others use and it will not break down or corrode.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
I saved about 8 or 9 gallons worth in the shop over a couple years and then made one trip. The old capillary nose red face fugg says I must be doing changes as a ‘business’ to be hauling that much up at one time. Couldnt reason with him that i was just saving myself multiple trips.

I had similar happen at O'Reilly Auto although they weren't diks about it. You can see how some shoe string auto shops might try to abuse the privilege. They also require a sign in sheet for it now. Didn't use to. The O'Reilly guy fudged the numbers in his paperwork and took it all anyhow once I explained it was several years worth of oil and transmission fluid changes for the lawnmower, car and powerstroke which takes 15 qts to fill. Had right at the same amount you did. But anymore I try to not let it build up to as much as that. I don't make special trips for it, just load it up whenever I have reason to either go to the parts store or by one on the way someplace else.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I take it to Walmart and.dump it in their tank.
Posted By: victoro Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I take my used oil and filters to the Walmart auto service dept. The oil in a 5 gallon gas can and the filters in a box. They unload it for me, dump the oil and return my gas can. You just have to go first inside and put your name and amount of used oil in their log book
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Our county has a drop off.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
We have a recycle reservoir at our ‘dump stations’

Only prob is the troll that works there is a total ass if you bring more than a few quarts at a time.

I called the landfill director and told him about his employee, also reminded him that I got license plate numbers of other landfill personnel taking their county trucks to ball games after hours, shopping a Rural King during work hours. Magnetic door decals removed and placed in the cab upside down.

I put the quarts in a trash bag in toss em in the compactor and just smile and wave at the toe less diabetic loudmouth. I hooked em up with several gallons of paint too inside of some black trash bags.

Eagle river dump when I lived in Alaska charged a pretty good penny for over a certain amount of junk at a time. Buddy of mine who was always building a 4x4 or buggy of some sort would strip everything he wanted off parts rigs, pop the VIN tags and license plates off, pull the wheels and tires and trailer them out to the dump. He’d trailer them out there at about 2AM and winch them off the trailer blocking the gate to the dump and haul ass. His tow rig may or may not have had plates on it during these runs😁
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Burning brush piles try this.

Take a empty beer can or pop can 12 ounce, fill it half full of gas, lay it on its side opening at top.

Light it and have brush stacked over it burns like a stove for about 20 minutes. Works well with wet wood.
Posted By: hanco Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I use it to start fires in California
Posted By: Huntz Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
Maybe put it into the tractor tires for needed weight - cheaper than that chem solution others use and it will not break down or corrode.

It will only rot the rubber.
Originally Posted by Huntz

That's true, from what I know...

Rubber and petroleum products don't make good long term companions.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I'm told a neighbor has an oil burner that uses a valve to drip on a disk blade in the burn chamber.

That man can make nearly any machine. He builds his manure spreaders.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Well, if that is true, it is not a good thought - won't try that one.
I'm told a neighbor has an oil burner that uses a valve to drip on a disk blade in the burn chamber. That man can make nearly any machine. He builds his manure spreaders.
I have made and used an oil burner of this type - actually very efficient and a great way to burn used oil from changes. Two issues had to solve with my design - good heavy-duty burn chamber and good means to maintain a steady drip or light atomizing spay for a long period of time. But, unlike the other fellow, I cannot make nearly any machine.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
My oil burner is a cast iron Franklin stove filled to the top with scrap iron - - - -brake drums and rotors, cyinder heads, water pump housings, etc. A 30 gallon tank of waste oil gravity feeds through a filter and a metering valve to control the drip rate through a piece of copper tubing to a hole in the top of the stove. I kickstart the fire with a cup of kerosene poured over the scrap iron, light it, and start the oil drip. I use a squirrel cage blower and stovepipe to push the hot air over the stove to both ends of a 24 X 40 foot shop building 12 feet tall. Cheap heat!
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
A used waste oil heater comes up for sale occasionally.

It's pretty much an appropriate sized jet and compressed air in a burner box.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
I'm told a neighbor has an oil burner that uses a valve to drip on a disk blade in the burn chamber.

A couple of my mechanics back in Ohio had those. Super super efficient way to make heat and get rid of used oil.

Another guy had a used oil heater furnace in his shop. Heck he would even buy used motor oil from you. I never bothered he was a nice guy. Just gave it to him.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
Right now, I drop it off at Oreilly's.

Had I a 55gal barrel wood heater in a shop/garage, I would rig a means to slow drip it into the fire box. Hooked to a thermostat, so it only dripped when hot enough to get a good burn.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Used Oil? - 09/25/20
In the late 1970's I worked at an Allis Chalmers shop, as a mechanic. The shop was built into a slope. Back them (not knowing better) we would dump waste oil on side of the shop.
Killed the weeds and rain washed the rest down hill to the creek. NOT COOL.

Now I dump it at a parts store with a barrel in back. Hopefully, they get rid of it in a more responsible manner.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
Please don't dump it on the ground. It's not going back to from where it came, it'll eventually end up in the groundwater table. If it contaminates your or a neighbor's well you could be in for an expensive bill for cleaning it up. Oil is extracted from below the water table, dumping it on the ground puts it into the water table. Check your State's laws. Many will require that you recycle it and will require car repair facilities to take it. In most (if not all) States it's illegal to dump waste oil on the ground.
Posted By: Nykki Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
I built my own stove. Used an old oil gun from a heater. 24" dia. piling 30 inches long,can burn trash and or wood. Lots of steel in it holds the heat very well. I heating a 40x60 shop building with it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
I used to buy, "Rerefinded oil". Back as coal, they might have filtered it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
pour it under the engine of the neighbor's car.....in their driveway...

not the Republican neighbor... the DemocRAT one, who's a California Transplant...

The one who thinks he is smarter and better than everyone else on the street...
Posted By: smarquez Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
Vato Zone, Oreillys will take it. My city has a hazardous waste collection site, it's a freebie.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
My local dump/landfill takes it and burns it in a waste oil burner for their shop.
Posted By: okie Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
pour it on old tires to get them going good ...just doing my part...grin
Posted By: okie Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by Seafire
poor it under the engine of the neighbor's car.....in their driveway...

not the Republican neighbor... the DemocRAT one, who's a California Transplant...

The one who thinks he is smarter and better than everyone else on the street...

grinning big at that one...
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
Jeebus....you guys are joking.......right?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Used Oil? - 09/26/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeebus....you guys are joking.......right?

uhh NO....
© 24hourcampfire